TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #61
jmpage2

I am confused also. Typicallyi most equipment doesn't handle or process 1080p/30. It's either 1080p/60 or 1080p/24.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #62
chg

I notice the remote include a new 30sec "scan". Wonder if these means the 30 sec skip will not work anymore. That way you have to at least fast forward through commercials.
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #63
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by chg View Post
I notice the remote include a new 30sec "scan". Wonder if these means the 30 sec skip will not work anymore. That way you have to at least fast forward through commercials.
Asked and answered. By me.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #64
PatEllis15

Anyone have any sense of the THX certification means anything? Is the "base" Premiere actually going to have different internals (besides the HD), to allow a better reporduction of color/sound? Is anything on Cable actually THX certified? What about streaming content?

I'm probably going for the "base" unit, and will save some nickles for a external harddrive at a later date, but if THX really will make a different, perhaps I need to find some more nickles now!

Pat E
PatEllis15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #65
chg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Thanks. There are so many threads and post on the new premiere, it is hard to keep up.
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #66
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatEllis15 View Post
Anyone have any sense of the THX certification means anything? Is the "base" Premiere actually going to have different internals (besides the HD), to allow a better reporduction of color/sound? Is anything on Cable actually THX certified? What about streaming content?

I'm probably going for the "base" unit, and will save some nickles for a external harddrive at a later date, but if THX really will make a different, perhaps I need to find some more nickles now!

Pat E
I'm not going to bet my paycheck but I'll bet a beer that the guts will be exactly the same.

The software may be different (certainly the xl's calibration video's will be left off the non xl)- but im thinking just like there's the websites showing THX blueray players using the same guts as non THX- that the two tivo premier sku's will be the same hardware.

if it was different they could have done other differentiators like stuck a bluetooth chip in the XL for the qwerty remote
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #67
MediaLivingRoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWinbrook46636 View Post
Made in Alviso, May 5th, 2009

That's what it says on the back of the TiVo Premier in the rear panel product shot on page 1.
I would hope they tested for that long and when it's released next month, I better not see any problems, TiVo.....
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #68
innocentfreak

I don't know if you want to add, a reference to PyTivo.

From another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsteenson View Post
Also, I realized after I had placed my order for a new Premiere that I'm not sure pyTiVo will work with the new box, either. My enjoyment of TiVo would be seriously compromised if I couldn't transfer movies etc. from my computer to TiVo (and don't tell me about TiVo Desktop. Paid for the Plus version, hated it, never use it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It will. Better, even. Or so I'm told.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #69
TWinbrook46636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
  1. What new video file formats does the TiVo Premiere support?

It is not publicly known what video file formats the Premiere will support at release, but the new Broadcom SoC adds support for DivX 3.11/4/5/6, and is certified by DivX for full 1980x1080p playback. The chip also adds audio codec support for AAC-HE and Windows Media Professional (up to 7.1).
Hopefully that will mean it can play my iTunes library now.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #70
nrc
Cracker Soul

So the live guide wasn't shown at the announcement because going by the User's Guide it's going to be unchanged in the first release. I predict another wave of disappointment when they ship followed by another wave of gee, this is actually pretty cool.

But, looking at the user's guide this really seems kind of half done. I'm guessing that TiVo was feeling pressure to launch their "not just a DVR" message because of flagging subscriptions and we'll see a really dismal quarterly report on Monday.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #71
TVCricket
HDUI

I bought a S2 Tivo about 7 years ago and kept it for 2 years before getting a DirecTivo. I still have it, but the cost is getting ridiculously out of hand. Since using Tivo, I found that I just couldn't do without the dual buffer or the ease of use which is why I never switched to Dish or cable. I looked through my Season Passes and only 4 out of 25 of them are on pay tv so cancelling isn't a problem. Now here lies my problem. Can the new Tivo Premiere record 2 OTA HD channels at the same time? Will my 1 OTA HD antenna be able to tune into 2 tuners at the same time or do I need 2 antennas plugged in? Also, why doesn't Tivo allow me to purchase the DVR locally and still get the lifetime subscription discount? What difference does it make where I buy it as long as I activate it through them?

I've been reading a lot of negative comments on this site and other tech sites about the announcement. I'm only used to the older interface, have never seen or used UnBox, or any of the other Tivo features since I switched to Directv with my R10 DVR. I watched the reveal videos and love the new UI and everything is so much faster than my slow R10. I hate having to dig into 3-4 menus just to change, search, or record something and the Premiere really looks like it's for me.

Last edited by TVCricket : 03-07-2010 at 12:40 AM.
TVCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #72
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVCricket View Post
Now here lies my problem. Can the new Tivo Premiere record 2 OTA HD channels at the same time? Will my 1 OTA HD antenna be able to tune into 2 tuners at the same time or do I need 2 antennas plugged in?
One antenna is all you need.

Quote:
Also, why doesn't Tivo allow me to purchase the DVR locally and still get the lifetime subscription discount? What difference does it make where I buy it as long as I activate it through them?
I would guess that it's because when TiVo sells to retail or online channels they're only getting wholesale price for the unit. Taking your lifetime discount off on top of that is a double hit for them. If you buy directly from them they get full retail price for the unit and they can afford to take the discount on your service.

Quote:
I've been reading a lot of negative comments on this site and other tech sites about the announcement.
A lot of people are just disappointed that the new unit didn't live up to the hype that TiVo created prior to the event. Others are upset that it didn't add more tuners or solve the copy protection problem. But looking objectively at the unit, it's a nice upgrade from the current model and will provide a nice platform for even more features going forward.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #73
TVCricket
HDUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
One antenna is all you need.

I would guess that it's because when TiVo sells to retail or online channels they're only getting wholesale price for the unit. Taking your lifetime discount off on top of that is a double hit for them. If you buy directly from them they get full retail price for the unit and they can afford to take the discount on your service.

A lot of people are just disappointed that the new unit didn't live up to the hype that TiVo created prior to the event. Others are upset that it didn't add more tuners or solve the copy protection problem. But looking objectively at the unit, it's a nice upgrade from the current model and will provide a nice platform for even more features going forward.
Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I may just preorder one and cancel my satellite after I get it. Gonna miss college football, the NFL draft, and ESPN, but raising my bill another $5 after already raising it last year $3 is highway robbery.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #74
Mike-Mike

man I cancelled Direct Tv long ago and just got a Roku for Netflix. But after recently getting a really nice HD antenna, I am going to invest in a Tivo to get all my shows.... but after all the money I have saved from cancelling Direct Tv, I'm way ahead of the game, I don't think you'll regret it.. I'm amazed at how much there is on OTA tv

Mike-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #75
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
man I cancelled Direct Tv long ago and just got a Roku for Netflix. But after recently getting a really nice HD antenna, I am going to invest in a Tivo to get all my shows.... but after all the money I have saved from cancelling Direct Tv, I'm way ahead of the game, I don't think you'll regret it.. I'm amazed at how much there is on OTA tv
This.
daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #76
Mike-Mike

?

Mike-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #77
llarch

Disk Space Meter

Kind of funny how for years so many people on this board explained how/why Tivo didnít need a disk space meter. All those who wanted it are definitely vindicated now...
llarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #78
innocentfreak

As someone who always has full TiVos, I just hope you can turn it off. Also I am counting down to the first post about someone's show being deleted even thought the FSI said there was space.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #79
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by llarch View Post
Kind of funny how for years so many people on this board explained how/why Tivo didnít need a disk space meter. All those who wanted it are definitely vindicated now...
maybe we should actually use the FSI a little bit before we decide it is actually helpful.

This might just be kids throwing tantrum for candy and finally getting some from a tired Mom.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #80
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
maybe we should actually use the FSI a little bit before we decide it is actually helpful.

This might just be kids throwing tantrum for candy and finally getting some from a tired Mom.
As long as they are throwing out candy how about a 60 or 90 minute buffer for each tuner instead of 30 minute cap?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #81
riekl

Quote:
I dont know about vindicated .. I mean whats the point .. if you are using your Tivo properly the bar will be pegged between 95-100%, 100% of the time. Yeah feature
riekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #82
llarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl View Post
I dont know about vindicated .. I mean whats the point .. if you are using your Tivo properly the bar will be pegged between 95-100%, 100% of the time. Yeah feature
Vindicated meaning many people have been asking for it for years, and despite the explanations as to why it is not needed, here is Tivo's response;

"We Listened: By popular demand Premiere includes an on-screen disk space meter..."
llarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #83
MichaelK

Quote:
'vindicated' or shown to be the squeekiest wheel?

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #84
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl View Post
Umm, if it really only includes user-scheduled recordings (and immediately subtracts things I delete -- in recently deleted that is), it won't necessarily be 95-100% all the time..

But even if it is, it would still be useful to me, I hope. (Even if it's not, I'll be positive and say that I appreciate them adding it. I still wish it gave *some* kind of approximate time estimate.. but if I can see that knocking off a 1 hour SD show gives me a percent back, then I would likely figure heuristics that X% means 1 hour SD, Y% means 1 hour HD, and so on.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #85
innocentfreak

The problem though becomes there is no accurate way to estimate how much space a HD recording will take. It all depends on how much each cable company compresses the channel/show.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #86
sneagle
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
As long as they are throwing out candy how about a 60 or 90 minute buffer for each tuner instead of 30 minute cap?
I agree. It would be neat if there were a setting for this so the user would know that a larger buffer meant less 'recording' space.
sneagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #87
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

bkdtv has done a lot of work making this thread a great source of information, and it contains many technical details regarding the new TiVo box.

Could we please keep this thread free of the tit-for-tat, and personal opinions, regarding features? Please start a new thread, or join another one - this is supposed to be an FAQ thread.

Thanks
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #88
StuffOfInterest

My TiVo has always been 100% full due to TiVo suggestions. I don't mind the idea of a free space indicator, but I would like for it to show how much of the space is taken by scheduled recordings and how much by suggested recordings. This would give me a quick view of how many more programs I can add to the schedule before running into trouble.
StuffOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #89
aaronwt
HD Addict

Will there be a way to turn off the free space indicator? No need for it to be taking up real estate that could be used for something else.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #90
LordNelson

Series 4 tuner upper limit?

Will the Series 4 tune to cable channels above 860Mhz?
LordNelson is offline   Reply With Quote