TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Gai-jin

Glo remote quit working after ~2mo. Tivo says return to store, they won't warrant

I ordered a new tivo Glo remote December 28th, and received it in January, through amazon.com.

I called Tivo to see about getting it repaired/replaced, and was told to return it through amazon. Now, I know amazon's return policy is only 30 days, and told the rep as much. She told me that Tivo doesn't do any repairs or exchanges on their products, they always have to be exchanged through the retailer. (Unless you bought from tivo.com, in which case tivo is both the retailer and the manufacturer.)

Now, I don't know what the warranty on a tivo remote is, but I do know that a manufacturer's warranty means the manufacturer is the one to deal with defective product, not the retailer. (Outside of the return policy of course) I could swear I remember reading that Tivo offers a 90 day warranty on accessories, but I can't seem to find anything saying that now. Still, the rep isn't saying there's no warranty, she's telling me that tivo doesn't handle the warranty, the retailers do.

Oh, and to make things even more frustrating, about 20 minutes ago she put me on hold to try and find the warranty documentation so she can point out to me where it says I have to go through the retailer, and has never come back on the line. I've been on the phone for 44 minutes now, my cell battery is going to die soon, and I get the distinct feeling she's just put me on hold and so I'll get tired of waiting and hang up.

I'd like to get this repaired or replaced, but if there is no warranty on it, then I guess I'm just out my $45. I've had tivo for 10 years, and love the product when it's working, but I have never had very good luck with their support when something does go wrong.

Can anyone point me to something saying what warranty, if any, tivo offers on accessories?

Edit: Okay, at 51 minutes in, the hold music stopped, but nobody was there. I sat there on the line for another minute or two, but it sounded as if the rep picked up the line but hit mute, so that I would have dead air. After a couple of minutes, she eventually hung up.

I've just called back and am speaking with another rep, who also says there is NO WARRANTY on accessories, except for the 30 day return policy on items purchased through the Tivo Store.

However, while I've been waiting, I located the original box and manual for my glo remote, and on the back of the little tivo remote shaped manual, it clearly lists the terms of a 90 day warranty. I am astounded that tivo's tech support reps are trained that there is no warranty when clearly the written documentation says otherwise. I've got to assume that's the case, as the only other option is that I have two reps outright lying to me, with the same issue, and the same lie.

After reading portions of the warranty to him, I'm on hold now for this rep to contact tier two support and see if they know anything about a warranty. -- He just came back, and tells me that he confirmed there is a 90 day warranty, but said that I still have to contact amazon first and request an exchange, even though it's outside of their return policy. If amazon won't take it back, I can call tivo back. Then, and only then, they will take care of this bad remote.

I went from frustrated after the first call to downright sickened that a company I like so well has such bad customer service. I keep coming back to the fact that both reps sounded like they honestly believe there is no warranty on tivo products except for the 30 day return policy on items purchased from the tivo store. That just leaves me with a horrible feeling about this company that I've gladly given my money to for the last 10 years.

Last edited by Gai-jin : 02-24-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Gai-jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
MichaelK

it looks like they scrubbed all mention of accessories from the warrenty info on their website.

looks like they tried to take the accessory warrenty away but they can't because older materials still say 90 days.

like a 90 day warrenty on remotes would kill them.... very cheesy.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Gai-jin

Okay, I just got off the phone after speaking with a supervisor. (To lodge a complaint about the first rep.) After discussing the complaint, I came back to the warranty issue, and he also told me that there is nothing more than a 30 day return policy on accessories, and only for those bought directly from tivo. I described the warranty document to him, and he put me on hold to confirm. When he came back, he asked that I fax the warranty sheet to him, and said that as soon as he got it they would ship me a new remote.

Thank goodness I happened to keep the box and manual for this remote. I can't imagine how many people end up SOL because TiVo staff are misinformed about their product warranty and customers don't have the paperwork to prove it. .
Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Gai-jin

Just got an order confirmation email from Tivo Store. Looks like I am getting a new remote. Glad it's working out, but I wish it wouldn't have been so much trouble.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai-jin View Post
Okay, I just got off the phone after speaking with a supervisor. (To lodge a complaint about the first rep.) After discussing the complaint, I came back to the warranty issue, and he also told me that there is nothing more than a 30 day return policy on accessories, and only for those bought directly from tivo. I described the warranty document to him, and he put me on hold to confirm. When he came back, he asked that I fax the warranty sheet to him, and said that as soon as he got it they would ship me a new remote.

Thank goodness I happened to keep the box and manual for this remote. I can't imagine how many people end up SOL because TiVo staff are misinformed about their product warranty and customers don't have the paperwork to prove it. .

I think something should be done about the second supervisor who insisted you fax the warranty information. TIVO issued the warranty in the first place and now the customer has to prove it to them before they will honor the warranty. That's garbage. You're due a written apology.
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Gai-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
You're due a written apology.
I'd much prefer that they fix their customer service for future callers.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
I think something should be done about the second supervisor who insisted you fax the warranty information. TIVO issued the warranty in the first place and now the customer has to prove it to them before they will honor the warranty. That's garbage. You're due a written apology.
IIRCC - customer service is an outsoruced company. THey were likely just doing as tivo has told them in their instructions how to service tivo's customers. Tivo probably tried to cheese out on their accessory warrenties going forward not realizing that they still need to support people that bought stuff in the recent past and got the old warrenty.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Gai-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
IIRCC - customer service is an outsoruced company. THey were likely just doing as tivo has told them in their instructions how to service tivo's customers. Tivo probably tried to cheese out on their accessory warrenties going forward not realizing that they still need to support people that bought stuff in the recent past and got the old warrenty.
But it wasn't JUST about accessory warranties. They also assured me that if you buy a tivo at Best Buy and it dies after 6 months, you have to return it to best buy to claim the warranty, tivo won't help unless you bought it from tivo.com.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
MichaelK

Quote:
But it wasn't JUST about accessory warranties. They also assured me that if you buy a tivo at Best Buy and it dies after 6 months, you have to return it to best buy to claim the warranty, tivo won't help unless you bought it from tivo.com.
i wouldn't doubt that either- seems tivo wants everyone to buy an extended warrenty now. So what better way to sell those than screw around with warrenty.

the premiere blurbs floating around seem to say just a 90day warrenty.

and about actually having to return it to a store- I really doubt that's legal- anyone know? I'd bet a threat to call the state AG would have them quickly give you an RMA number.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
i wouldn't doubt that either- seems tivo wants everyone to buy an extended warrenty now. So what better way to sell those than screw around with warrenty.

the premiere blurbs floating around seem to say just a 90day warrenty.

and about actually having to return it to a store- I really doubt that's legal- anyone know? I'd bet a threat to call the state AG would have them quickly give you an RMA number.
So your saying that if my car, under warranty, has a problem it's illegal to require me to go to a dealer !! TiVo can make any deal with the stores that officially sell their product, as long as TiVo is upfront with their customers as to what the warranty is. TiVo can do what they want with their own warranty. No law I know of requires anybody to offer any type of warranty on any electronic product.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Gai-jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
So your saying that if my car, under warranty, has a problem it's illegal to require me to go to a dealer !! TiVo can make any deal with the stores that officially sell their product, as long as TiVo is upfront with their customers as to what the warranty is. TiVo can do what they want with their own warranty. No law I know of requires anybody to offer any type of warranty on any electronic product.
Of course not, but since tivo DOES offer a warranty on it, which specifically says to call customer service and they will provide return shipping info, I expect them to honor it.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Of course not, but since tivo DOES offer a warranty on it, which specifically says to call customer service and they will provide return shipping info, I expect them to honor it.
TiVo must do what they say UNLESS the also say that the terms can change at any time without notice, but I don't think that they can change the terms after your purchase.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yeah i get they can sent you somewhere.

that said- once they have a warrenty you get 'specific legal rights' and all that BS that they put in there. I would think they have to have some way for you to actually get service via the warrenty. If amazon or whoever isn't going to provide it (and it's pretty clear that amazon isn't going to help you months later) than tivo needs to have a way to get you fixed up.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
lessd

Quote:
Yeah i get they can sent you somewhere.

that said- once they have a warrenty you get 'specific legal rights' and all that BS that they put in there. I would think they have to have some way for you to actually get service via the warrenty. If amazon or whoever isn't going to provide it (and it's pretty clear that amazon isn't going to help you months later) than tivo needs to have a way to get you fixed up.
To be an official seller of TiVo now, Amazon may have to agree to the new TiVo warranty terms, or not sell TiVos anymore.