TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #31
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Yes the 189 Hour Replacement Drive Kit (160GB) comes pre-loaded with TiVo software for your 540 TiVo.
Just want to confirm 100% it is the Hard Drive and not the Power Supply. When I power it up it goes from Please wait powering up to a Grey screen and never gets off there. It does the SAME THING (grey screen) when I put the hard drive in another Series 2 Tivo, so that tells me it isn't the power supply right?

I have an IDE 40 gig hard drive from a computer I can put in and load Instant Cake on it if I am 100% sure its the hard drive and the box + lifetime is good.

Thoughts?

Shane
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
HomeUser

If you all-ready own Instant Cake... It's worth a try.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
If you all-ready own Instant Cake... It's worth a try.
Interested in formating either an 80 or 40gig Western Digital drive I have, see if I can get that to run in my Series 1 Tivo with Lifetime....

Got a copy of the 540.bax and 540.tbk burned to seperate CD's. Install the Western Digital Hard Drive and boot from CD right? or is another program needed to write the 540_gset to the Hard Drive?

Thanks,

S
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #34
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanezam203 View Post
Interested in formating either an 80 or 40gig Western Digital drive I have, see if I can get that to run in my Series 1 Tivo with Lifetime....

Got a copy of the 540.bax and 540.tbk burned to seperate CD's. Install the Western Digital Hard Drive and boot from CD right? or is another program needed to write the 540_gset to the Hard Drive?

Thanks,

S
"Series 1" Typo? the 540 image will only wok with a 540 Series 2 TiVo DVR (TiVo Service Numbers starting with "540") TCD540040, TCD540080, TCD540140 ...

Correct you need the MFS program from MFSLive.org. There are 2 versions of the MFSLive software download form MFSLive.org neither version have the TiVo image (540.bax and 540.tbk that you have all-ready) on the CD.

The more difficult method is MFSLive it boots and runs from a CD where you use the Linux command line to create the drive from the TiVo image file. The TiVo image that you download needs to be accessible when booted to MFSLive CD is a good place if you have a second CD or DVD drive.

If you do not know Linux then use WinMFS that runs in the Microsoft Windows environment that you all-ready have on the computer. see the instructions on the MFSLive web site.

If the image you download is from a 40G drive you can use either drive any IDE drive 40G or larger.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
unitron

Quote:
Just want to confirm 100% it is the Hard Drive and not the Power Supply. When I power it up it goes from Please wait powering up to a Grey screen and never gets off there. It does the SAME THING (grey screen) when I put the hard drive in another Series 2 Tivo, so that tells me it isn't the power supply right?

I have an IDE 40 gig hard drive from a computer I can put in and load Instant Cake on it if I am 100% sure its the hard drive and the box + lifetime is good.

Thoughts?

Shane
Is this the same 540 you were writing about a year ago?

Did you get a pre-prepared drive for it back then? Or do your own with Instant Cake?

Going from Welcome screen (which is on the motherboard) to a blank gray screen can mean faulty communication with the hard drive, which could have several causes.

There's a very good possibilty you've got one or more capacitors gone bad on that power supply.

Search my posts for the word "capacitor" so I don't have to write it all out again.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #36
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is this the same 540 you were writing about a year ago?

Did you get a pre-prepared drive for it back then? Or do your own with Instant Cake?

Going from Welcome screen (which is on the motherboard) to a blank gray screen can mean faulty communication with the hard drive, which could have several causes.

There's a very good possibilty you've got one or more capacitors gone bad on that power supply.

Search my posts for the word "capacitor" so I don't have to write it all out again.
It is that same Series 2 Tivo from last year with Lifetime, yes. I do not have instant cake for $50 yet until I determine 100% it is the hard drive and not a capacitor or the power supply. Being a Series 2 Single Tuner, I don't have a huge interest in fixing it if it's going to be costly.

But I do have an 80gig WD hard drive out of a Tivo from a garage sale that powers up (in that Tuner) that I'd be interested in using to revive this Lifetime Tivo for a spare room.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
It is that same Series 2 Tivo from last year with Lifetime, yes. I do not have instant cake for $50 yet until I determine 100% it is the hard drive and not a capacitor or the power supply. Being a Series 2 Single Tuner, I don't have a huge interest in fixing it if it's going to be costly.

But I do have an 80gig WD hard drive out of a Tivo from a garage sale that powers up (in that Tuner) that I'd be interested in using to revive this Lifetime Tivo for a spare room.
540_gset sounds like one of my images.

If it ends in .bak, use MFS Live

If it ends in .tbk, use WinMFS

gset means it starts in guided setup.

Before I encourage you to use the drive out of the garage sale TiVo, let's make sure we don't need a hard to find image off of it first.

What model number is the garage sale TiVo?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #38
Shanezam203

Quote:
What model number is the garage sale TiVo?
Western Digital = WD800bb - 5kjkc0

Tivo = TCD 649080
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #39
unitron

Quote:
Western Digital = WD800bb - 5kjkc0

Tivo = TCD 649080

Here's images for that model.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...33#post8706933

Please download both versions to keep them on the server longer.

That way, if you ever want that 2 tuner crunchy goodness, you'll have the images on your computer, no waiting.

If you have images for a TCD540040 and not a 540080, then that WD drive will be big enough.

For a while during the S2 days, TiVo was using Maxtor drives that were just a hair bigger, LBA-wise, than other brand drives of the same size GB-wise, so an image from an 80GB machine wouldn't restore onto a WD 80GB because the image would have a partition map with the MFS partitions just that much too big.

TCD540040 images here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...30#post8688730

Again, please download both versions.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #40
Shanezam203

Ok, I have all 4 of the below, now what?

Garage Sale Tivo/ 80gig WD Hard Drive I am using.

649_gset.bak (254.5 MB)
MFS Live v1.4 TCD649080 truncated backup
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b0r0ag

649_gset.tbk (213.6 MB)
WinMFS TCD649080 truncated backup
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4dp6aa

Tivo with Lifetime

File Name: 540_gset.bak
Description: MFS Live v1.4 TCD540040 truncated backup
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/quv14n

File Name: 540_GSet.tbk
Description: WinMFS TCD540040 truncated backup
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dq9ue3
Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #41
unitron

Quote:
Ok, I have all 4 of the below, now what?

Garage Sale Tivo/ 80gig WD Hard Drive I am using.

649_gset.bak (254.5 MB)
MFS Live v1.4 TCD649080 truncated backup
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b0r0ag

649_gset.tbk (213.6 MB)
WinMFS TCD649080 truncated backup
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4dp6aa

Tivo with Lifetime

File Name:

Description: MFS Live v1.4 TCD540040 truncated backup
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/quv14n

File Name: 540_GSet.tbk
Description: WinMFS TCD540040 truncated backup
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dq9ue3
Okay, the 649 files are for if you ever want to use or restore and sell that dual tuner TiVo whose drive you're about to use.

The 540 files are for your lifetimed single tuner TiVo.

Do you have a PC?

Does it have a place to connect the older style (pre-SATA) hard drives (PATA/IDE) that are in the TiVos?

Does it run Windows XP or newer?

If the answer to all 3 questions is yes, go to mfslive.org and download the WinMFS program Beta build 9.3f

Also download from mfslive.org the zip file of the .iso of the MFS Live cd v1.4 just to have it on hand or to use if you don't have XP or higher on that PC.

Unzip the WinMFS, which will give you winmfs.exe

Copy it into the Program Files folder and make yourself a shortcut to it on the desktop, unless you want to click on Start, Run and then browse for it.

Also have the .tbk file on that PC where you know where it is.

Hook up the 80GB drive to the PC, and boot into Windows.

Do not try to find or look at the drive with any program or part of Windows.

If a found new hardware balloon pops up, just click the X to close it.

After Windows gets fully booted and settles down, start up WinMFS, click the "I agree to the terms" thing, and then click on "Select Drive"

When the Select Drive screen/box comes up, make sure you select the 80Gb WD. It shouldn't show you the drive Windows is on, or any other drives that Windows can see.

Then click on I think it's File, Restore drive or Restore image or restore something.

Point it toward the

540_GSet.tbk

file, do not check the don't use optimized partition layout check box, if it defaults to a swap size of 128 that's enough for an 80GB drive, then click OK or Start or whatever's on that screen.

Then sit back and wait until it tells you it's done, at which point it'll probably say something like do you want to expand. Hold off on doing that for right now.

If you don't have a new enough version of Windows, or a version at all, on that PC, we'll have to walk you through using

540_gset.bak

with the MFS Live cd.

And you won't need the original drive out of the 540 hooked to the PC for this operation.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #42
DCswitch

Hey guys (unitron)- would love to get the 540_GSet image. Both the Sendspace and Dropbox links are no longer working. Thanks in advance.
DCswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #43
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCswitch View Post
Hey guys (unitron)- would love to get the 540_GSet image. Both the Sendspace and Dropbox links are no longer working. Thanks in advance.
If you live in the Denver area you can come by and borrow a working Tivo to get the image off of.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #44
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
If you live in the Denver area you can come by and borrow a working Tivo to get the image off of.
I think we solved his problems in another thread, but that was a very Santa-like offer you made.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #45
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
I think we solved his problems in another thread, but that was a very Santa-like offer you made.
**HO HO HO*** say I with a quivering belly of jelly.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #46
jw461

Figured I'd hijack this thread rather than start a new one to keep related info all in one place.

So I've had this same issue with my 540* series 2 and I can fix it by reimaging the drive as described. The problem is, the fix only lasts for like 2 days before it gets stuck again.

I've tried a new drive (brand new, actually) and the software is still corrupted somehow in about 2 days...reimage and it's fine again for 2 days.

Any ideas on this one?
jw461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #47
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw461 View Post
Figured I'd hijack this thread rather than start a new one to keep related info all in one place.

So I've had this same issue with my 540* series 2 and I can fix it by reimaging the drive as described. The problem is, the fix only lasts for like 2 days before it gets stuck again.

I've tried a new drive (brand new, actually) and the software is still corrupted somehow in about 2 days...reimage and it's fine again for 2 days.

Any ideas on this one?
Exactly which issue?

Never gets beyond first screen?

Or goes from first screen to a featureless gray screen?

And have you verified that there's nothing wrong with the power supply?

(like with a voltmeter?)

Is it running 9.3.2b or 9.3.2c (look in system information) ?

It might be a problem with trying to shift over to the alternate partitions to change from b to c.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #48
jw461

Sorry, the issue is getting stuck at the first screen as per the original topic. I can't check system information until I reimage the drive again, but good idea on checking power supply voltages. I might even try powering the drive with a different source to take load off the Tivo PS to see if it makes a difference...if that works out, then I know what to replace.
jw461 is offline   Reply With Quote