TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Shanezam203

Tivo Series 2 Stuck at "Welcome! Powering up..."

Hey Guys, my Tivo Single Tuner with Lifetime is stuck at Powering Up, I bet it is the Hard Drive?

Tivo and I tried to do a few things to reset it, but nothing. Suggestions?

Thank you,
Shane
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
reubanks

Replace the hard drive?

What model Tivo is this? Is it the original drive or an upgraded one.

Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Shanezam203

Original factory drive, single tuner, 40 hour I think.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
reubanks

You wouldn't happen to have a spare IDE hard drive sitting around would you? (The original should be 40GB, but might be larger if it isn't a 40 hour unit.)
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
mja8105

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. The fix is pretty easy, search the forums for Instant Cake.
mja8105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja8105 View Post
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. The fix is pretty easy, search the forums for Instant Cake.
What was the fix, replacement Hard Drive?

I did a search for Instant Cake and I see a bunch of threads, any 1 specifically you can suggest?

Thank you,

Shane
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Shanezam203

Anyone have a direct link to the fix?

Thank you guys,

Shane
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
HomeUser

Click on the Forum Sponsor "DVRUpgrade" button above, Instant Cake is under the "Software Tools" tab.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
jk5598224

help

Help I am getting the same thing with my SVR-3000. I recently ordered a hard drive from weaknees and I was installing it just fine. I was at the point of doing the final guide update.

Then all of a sudden it went back to powering up. Is there a way to do a hard boot? Every time I unplug and plug it back in it seems to be in the same placel
jk5598224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Click on the Forum Sponsor "DVRUpgrade" button above, Instant Cake is under the "Software Tools" tab.
I bought a drive from DVRUpgrade that already had the Tivo operating system on it. The new drive doubled my recording capacity from 23 hours at best quality to 46 hours of best. The drive was pulled from, I think, a Tivo HD which they upgrade to even larger capcity.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Shanezam203

Quote:
Thanks I found Instant Cake & the hard drives. I don't really want to go through the hard drive change myself, is there any value this single tuner Box has selling it defective but with Lifetime service?

Thank you,
Shane
Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Shanezam203

On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is the hard drive replacement and then software install?

What will it cost, I am debating restoring this Single Tuner, only advantage is lifetime.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

If you get a drive with preinstalled software, the fix is simple. It's almost plug and play with a little screw driver work. You even get a Torx screw driver with the drive. What ever you do with new hard drive, this is good time to upgrade the capacity of the drive. It must be at least the size that came with the box. Get the biggest you can afford and really use.

There a sticky in one of the forums here with all the details about changing the hard drive. I think it's in this forum.

The TiVo Community sponsors, DVRupgrade and Weaknees, have all the prices and info for do-it-yourself or they do it.

Last edited by lastdeadcat : 04-19-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added thoughts.
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
Shanezam203

I didnt see the drive came with Software Tivo ready, then I can do it. :-)

Thanks guys,

Shane
Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
Shanezam203

I want to make sure the replacement drive I am getting below has the Tivo software already and is plug and play.
(open Tivo, remove HD, replace with new HD below. )

Replacement Drive Kit 189 Hour Drive 160gig $99.00
Install Options: self install $0

Part # S2R-160000-540 for my Tivo TCD540040

Thanks,
Shane
Old 04-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
HomeUser

Yes the 189 Hour Replacement Drive Kit (160GB) comes pre-loaded with TiVo software for your 540 TiVo.
Quote:
The DVRupgrade TiVo DVR replacement drive kit for TiVo standalone systems is designed to give you maximum capacity with minimal effort. Each kit comes prepared for immediate installation in your TiVo, Sony, or Humax standalone TiVo - no computer or software experience is necessary. Since you are replacing your drives, your unit will behave as it did when new - after running guided setup, you'll need to setup your season passes again.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
Shanezam203

Quote:
Yes the 189 Hour Replacement Drive Kit (160GB) comes pre-loaded with TiVo software for your 540 TiVo.
Thanks HomeUser! 1 last question, do you suggest putting the $100 into this Single Tuner, in time won't Analog not be supported?

I called Tivo, they'd replace it with a dual tuner for $150 + Lifetime transfer $200 is $350. Or upgrade to Premium with Lifetime is $500. Before I buy the replacement hard drive for $100, I subtract $100 from the Upgrade costs above and I am considering...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
HomeUser

With the Series2 Dual Tuner you are still stuck with analog. The S2DT will only be able to record a single digital channel by using a Digital Transport Adapter therefore nothing gained.

If you can afford to upgrade I suggest going with the Premiere upgrade offer you were given. If it is the same offer that is on TiVo.com the Life time is a new subscription for the Premiere and the lifetime remains active on the Series2 which you might be able to sell.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #19
True Colors

Just throwing this out there, but your hard drive might not be the source of your problem.

I had the same issue that you did and it turned out that my power supply was not working properly. I got that fixed and then my tivo starting working again just fine...... without ever changing out the hard drive.

TC

Panasonic TV 42" plasma TH--42PZ85U

Apps used: Video ReDo, Tivo To Go, handbrake
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Just throwing this out there, but your hard drive might not be the source of your problem.

I had the same issue that you did and it turned out that my power supply was not working properly. I got that fixed and then my tivo starting working again just fine...... without ever changing out the hard drive.

TC
I tried a 2nd power supply and that didnt do it. I can hear the HD making a weird sound.

Question: I found a Tivo Series 2 dual tuner at a garage sale for $20, can I swap hard drives or will my tivo lifetime not carry over with that, it stays in broken HD?

THANK YOU,
Shane
Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
snakebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post

TC
Where do you get a new power supply, and are there detailed instructions
on how to swap it out? I had a Series 2 single tuner Tivo and one day it just died: no warning. One day it was working fine, the next day it went into "Welcome, Powering up". It would stay there for a few minutes, then go to blue screen and then start the whole process over again. I called Tivo, we went through the whole Try This routine, but nada, and determined that the HD was dead. Ended ordering a new one.

I am so tech challenged it's not even funny. Thanks.
snakebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #22
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanezam203 View Post
I tried a 2nd power supply and that didnt do it. I can hear the HD making a weird sound.

Question: I found a Tivo Series 2 dual tuner at a garage sale for $20, can I swap hard drives or will my tivo lifetime not carry over with that, it stays in broken HD?

THANK YOU,
Shane
Shane...... you actually have 2 separate issues.

First issue.... regarding the lifetime subscription....... that stays with the specific box you purchased it for......... no matter if you change any internal parts(hard drive, power supply, etc.)

Second issue...... if you pull a hard drive out of one tivo and try to stick it in another....... that will only work if the model numbers are identical. You must verify the TCDxxxx numbers and see if they match. Odds are, they won't. Tivo has a lot of different models out there.

If the garage sale tivo is not an exact match, then you have 2 options.....

1 - buy a disk drive with the proper software already installed for your TCDxxxx model number. If you look at the very top right of this website there is an advertisement for "weaknees." They have a section called "upgrade kits." There is a selection of hard drives for sale. Prices vary based on the size of the hard drive you pick.

2 - if you are moderately technical then you could get a new hard drive and install the proper software on it yourself. Get the garage sale tivo and rip the hard drive out of that(not recommended), or better yet, get a hard drive from Best Buy or off of amazon or whatever. You mentioned that you have a Series 2 tivo. So you do NOT want a SATA drive. You want the old IDE style of hard drive. Get one big enough to meet your needs(I replaced the old 80 gig drive in my series 2 with a new 500 gig unit to get the extra recording space).

If you are going to image the drive yourself then you will need to order the software to image you drive. Check out instantcake and they can sell you one for your TCDxxxx model.

TC

Last edited by True Colors : 05-02-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #23
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebte View Post
Where do you get a new power supply, and are there detailed instructions
on how to swap it out? I had a Series 2 single tuner Tivo and one day it just died: no warning. One day it was working fine, the next day it went into "Welcome, Powering up". It would stay there for a few minutes, then go to blue screen and then start the whole process over again. I called Tivo, we went through the whole Try This routine, but nada, and determined that the HD was dead. Ended ordering a new one.

I am so tech challenged it's not even funny. Thanks.
hey snake....... in my particular situation, the fix was not technical at all. I unplugged my Tivo, opened it up, and saw that one of the wires was loose. I pushed it in tight and then my tivo started working well again.

If you open your Tivo and see something obvious like a loose wire or a bunch of dirt clogging things up then you can fix it yourself without having to pay anything, naturally.

However, if you have to purchase a new power supply, then you could get one from weaknees. Here is the link to their list of power supply units for sale and also instructions on the bottom of the page explaining how to install them.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

TC

Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #24
tivo5t

Smile 'welcome' stuck fix

yesterday my hd tivo was stuck powering up (on welcome screen). unplugged/replugged its power cord several times to no avail. saw here that someone tried unpluging/replugging the wireless so i tried that. and it worked!!

thanks
tivo5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
nich0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivo5t View Post
yesterday my hd tivo was stuck powering up (on welcome screen). unplugged/replugged its power cord several times to no avail. saw here that someone tried unpluging/replugging the wireless so i tried that. and it worked!!

thanks
Worked for me, too!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #26
arcarocket

Ended up being a hard drive in my Tivo 2.
arcarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #27
huri999

Arrow tivo series 2 dual tuner #TCD649180

I seriously need help from you experts. I have the tivo dual tuner #TCD649180 series 2. the other day when i turned it on it was stuck on the Powering Up - welcome screen - called tivo tech & they told me to do a cold reboot. did that - no help here. i noticed the tivo network device wasnt lit up either. changed it out with another network device that i knew was working on the single tuner - but that one wouldnt light either w/dual tuner. all wireless devices working with other tivos in the house.
called tivo after reboot failed & was advised hard drive probably shot;
fan is working. i tried getting the screws off the back - i can't do it.

i have comcast which is the worst company ever for signals, compat issues, even with the series 2 dual tuner. techs where i live are useless; after reading about problems w/ the premiere & comcast cable cards, i am considering getting my dual tuner fixed at DVR upgrade for $148 (160 GB replacement kit plus bronze service install). would u recommend getting the flat fee repair service w/ hd upgrade for $218 or just go with the $148 hard drive replacement.
i dont have lifetime on this dual tuner but i only pay $6.99/month for the life of the box.
dont know if i can replace the hd myself. im afraid i will screw it up. please advise. if comcast didnt suck so much i would upgrade to the premiere XL for $488 for box & 1 year service but i know that's gonna bring big problems dealing with the cablecard- SOMEONE PLS ADVISE ASAP.

Last edited by huri999 : 01-16-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: update
huri999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
HomeUser

Check the Premiere upgrade offers on tivo.com TiVo® shop may be cheaper then the cost of replacing the hard drive with installation then finding the problem is something else.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
dosequis

Power supply on mine

Hurri99, I had a similar thing just (late January,2011) happen to my Directivo (RCA DVR80). Was working fine, then one day it's sitting on the "Welcome, Powering up" screen. No amount of reboots would get past it. I figured bad hard drive and made a new one using Instantcake. That one wouldn't boot either. My fan was running, too.

On a hunch, I disconnected the drive's power from the Tivo power supply and hooked up just the hd to a molex connector on an external usb adapter I have. Turned the drive power on, waited for it to spin up, then plugged in my tivo. Worked like a charm.

All the while, I was very careful not to touch the exposed power supply inside the tivo. There's a lot of juice in there and it's not protected in a cage like in a pc.

My guess is that my power supply is just too weak to spin up the drive. It is over 6 years old after all and has been powered on almost 24/7.

I'd buy another power supply for it but they're like $69 at weaknees.
dosequis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #30
tigeruniverse

Smile Tivo stuck in POWERING UP REBOOT CYCLE - RESOLUTION

Hey Guys...

Just had the same issue with my Tivo purchased Nov 2010...

After reading all your posts - thanks guys - it suddenly dawned on me that like a PC - you cannot resolve some issues without disconnecting all powered cables, whether ethernet, usb's or Antennas with Powered amplifiers...

so after dismall attempts at cold re-boots - I tried just that... removed the HDMI (has pwr control), Ethernet (has pwr TX and RX), and antenna (has pwr amplifier over coax) and then reconnected the pwr cable - BINGO - reboot as normal...

Hope this helps...

Andrew.
tigeruniverse is offline   Reply With Quote