TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
donnoh

Should I go Uverse or Charter?

AT&T just showed up at my door and offered me a deal to go with their service over Charter for a package deal of $30 less than Charter.
Of course the major dilemma is to get rid of both of my Tivo HD's both with lifetime subscriptions and 1 TB hard drive upgrades for their own DVR that allows 4 channels to be recorded at once and the ability to be viewed in any room.
I have Charters triple play which includes phone, Internet and TV package and I'm completely satisfied with it, it costs around $150 a month and I can get a similar package from AT&T for around $120 a month.

My initial thoughts are to switch and sell my HD's on ebay, but I hate to give up my Tivos. Does anyone have any experience with AT&Ts DVRs and their service?

Comments?
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

This is a TiVo forum. I would not want to lose my TiVos. If FiOS went to IPTV, I would dump FiOS before I considered dumping my TiVos.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
This is a TiVo forum. I would not want to lose my TiVos. If FiOS went to IPTV, I would dump FiOS before I considered dumping my TiVos.
Okay, I don't know what IPTV is and FIOS is a Verizon product, I just wanted to know what people thought about Uverse?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
cowboys2002

Well...

Just becuase this "started" as a Tivo Forum, does not mean we can't talk about other stuff.

I switched from my series 2 directivo system (3 dvr's) last October to Uverse with the HD DVR and whole house playback. IMHO, it's not a bad trade-off. Yes, I lose the ability to record 6 things as the current max is 4. But, if you learn to record a library of shows and events, you should be able to find something to watch.

Tivo is not the "only DVR" in town. I say if you are in an area where ATT has stores, test the Uverse service. See if any neighbors and friends have it and see what they say.

I am saving about $70 a month from my previous home phone, dsl and directv bill.

When and "if" Tivo and Directv start SELLING a combo box again (notice I did not say lease) I might consider going back.

PSN cowboys2000
cowboys2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
donnoh

From the time I originally posted this message until now I called Charter and they offered me a better deal than AT&T did so I stuck with Charter.
Competition is good!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
brettatk
If I Only Knew

It seems like this is already resolved but I wanted to add a few things. You really don't have to "give up" your Tivo HD. It would work fine with OTA and you would still be able to use it for everything else (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc). I will most likely switch to Uverse when it's offered in my area. When I do I plan to keep my Tivo HD and record everything I can on it because of storage space. Anything I can't get OTA I'll pick up with the Uverse Receiver. It will actually be nice to have 4+ tuners between the two. I shouldn't ever again have to download a show I missed online.
brettatk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Okay, I don't know what IPTV is and FIOS is a Verizon product, I just wanted to know what people thought about Uverse?
Uverse uses Internet Protocol to transmit the TV programs. You can't use a TiVo(series 3/TiVoHD) with it.

My priority is having a box that I can leave alone to record what I've set it up to record with out wondering if those programs will be recorded. None of the cable companies boxes I've seen have been reliable lik ethe TiVo. So I put my TiVo use as the top priority. So if FiOS switched to an IPTV format I would have to dump FiOS TV and get Comcast. Even though Comcast has lesser quality. The TiVo is just too reliable and verasatile for me to stop using it. Although I'm sure I could get a decent amount of money for my nine TiVos if I wanted to sell them.

And as far as Uverse, it typically can only have two HD programs streamed concurrently/ I'm sometimes recording 6, 8, or even 10 HD programs concurrently. The last time I could only record/watch two HD programs was back in 2001 when I first started recording HD.
2 programs is nowhere near enough. Especially if you have a family with multiple people using multiple TVs.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Krandor

One thing to remember on u-verse is that you can only watch or record 4 SD programs or 2 HD programs for the WHOLE HOUSE. So if you are recording 2 HD programs you cannot watch a 3rd program. Or, if Dad is watching football downstairs and Jr is watching a show upstairs (and both are HD shows) then if mom tries to watch something in the kitchen (even SD) she can't.

For me this was a major limitation and has ruled U-Verse out for me. It may not be an issue for you but be aware of what the limitations are.
Krandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
rberry88

Actually that is false. You can have 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams all going at the same time. If you have 2 HD channels being recorded, you can switch over to an SD channel and either record it or watch it, or record an SD channel, 2 HD channels and still watch another channel in SD all at the same time.

So, in your example, if dad is watching an HD channel in the basement (football), and Jr is watching/recording an HD channel upstairs, then mom can still watch/record an SD channel on another TV in the home all at the same time.

Also, later this year, per the ATT tech that did my install, they are planning on increasing the capabilities to utilize 4 HD streams. It seems the service is still new and growing.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
mlcarson

Do you need Internet? If so, Charter is probably the better solution with the bonus of keeping your Tivo. If you don't need the Internet -- go with Dish network and forget both Charter and Uverse.
mlcarson is offline   Reply With Quote