TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
I have a neighbor which has trouble with using his VCR, TV,RCA DTA800 & 3 remotes(It works best) he gets lost all the time.

I have an old 1400 series 2 LTimed which is broke, I cracked it open and learned that the harddrive wasn't spinning so I connected it to a Laptop and it spun up.

I'm going to get a power supply for it and see if it works.

I would like to know if the TiVo can work with Sky Angel, ATSC and NTSC(ABC). I would think it does. Cause the NTSC is decoded by the TiVo while the ATSC is decoded by the RCA DTA800,Right?

I see the snag with my plan now with Skyangel. He would be getting it new so it no longer works.
You might find it a lot cheaper to repair that power supply than to replace it.

If it is the supply, it's probably capacitors gone bad.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #32
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You might find it a lot cheaper to repair that power supply than to replace it.

If it is the supply, it's probably capacitors gone bad.

I already received it and installed it, I found out the white ribbon going to board on the front bezel must of been loose.

I Installed the first time and fan wouldn't start, HD purred. So I reconnect and get the fan going. To see it still stuck has before. I was about to try doing a HDDsan on desktop, when I decided to rule out the cable going to the front bezel just in case, with success.

I found trying to search on my premiere it locks-up the 140060.

(ADD Edit) Just looked and I'm (Pending Restart) go to update then check the 140060.

Last edited by Leon WIlkinson : 12-16-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #33
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
I already received it and installed it, I found out the white ribbon going to board on the front bezel must of been loose.

I Installed the first time and fan wouldn't start, HD purred. So I reconnect and get the fan going. To see it still stuck has before. I was about to try doing a HDDsan on desktop, when I decided to rule out the cable going to the front bezel just in case, with success.

I found trying to search on my premiere it locks-up the 140060.

(ADD Edit) Just looked and I'm (Pending Restart) go to update then check the 140060.
There's a whole thread or two about the problems you can cause by partially dislodging the front panel ribbon cable (which a lot of people changing out hard drives did). Basically you burn out a teeny little inductor in the IR sensor ground return (part of a filter circuit), so commands from the remote never get to the motherboard.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #34
Socal.rissa

I have a TiVo premier and hooked up our cable to the ant in. We won't be getting a CableCard so I was wondering if a converter box would work with the Premier.
Socal.rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #35
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal.rissa View Post
We won't be getting a CableCard
Why not?

Quote:
so I was wondering if a converter box would work with the Premier.
No, it won't. Only a Series 1 or 2 can control an external box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #36
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I have a TiVo premier and hooked up our cable to the ant in. We won't be getting a CableCard so I was wondering if a converter box would work with the Premier.
Shouldn't the cable be connected to the cable input rather than the antenna input?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
When you say cable, do you mean co-axial wire carrying the cable company's signal, or co-axial wire carrying signal from your own antenna?

On a Premiere, as on the Series 3 TiVos, you connect your own antenna (if you have one) to the antenna input and the cable company (if you have a cable subscription) to the cable input.

If by converter box you mean the things designed to pick up digital Over The Air broadcasts and turn them into something the older analog TVs can tune and display, the Premiere doesn't need one of those, it can tune in the digital OTA channels all by itself for free if you have a good enough antenna setup, and as far as I know if you have a cable company that still offers analog channels the Premiere can tune them (if you connect the cable company cable to the cable input), and since they aren't digital no cable card is needed.

If you have a cable from the cable company coming into the house, but are only paying them for internet service and not for television, then technically hooking the cable to the TiVo to get television channels from the cable company would constitute theft of service, which we don't generally talk about around here except to advise against it.

If someone in that particular situation were to hook their cable company cable to the cable input of the Premiere, whether they would get any channels at all would depend on what the cable company puts on the cable.

Most cable companies offering digital cable channels have them encrypted in a way that requires the Premiere to use a cable card specifically to prevent people getting the service without paying for it.