TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
ajatl

Cannot uninstall desktop 2.7

I upgraded to Windows 7 and have had problems with Desktop 2.7. I tried installing 2.8, but could not get the 2.7 uninstalled. It keeps hanging up on trying to unistall. When I try uninstalling from the Control Panel it says tells me "The installation ended because an error occurred." How can I get past this?
ajatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
glsmith5150

Revo uninstaller should be able to remove it.
hxxp://c0464521.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/revosetup.exe

If that does not work, use Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and use Revo again.
hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
glsmith5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

It's probably a better idea to use a utility from the manufacture: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/192.

Get the Desktop Cleaner described in "Step 2"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
ajatl

I tried both methods and still can't unistall 2.7. When I use the method from the Tivo site, Desktop Cleanup I get the following:

After the command Deleting files the program says:
The system cannot find the file Files.1st

I can't get the other method to work either. When I tried to repair rather than remove, I get the following error:

Calipso.msi cannot be found.

What should I try now?
ajatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
ggieseke

It sounds like you're trying to run the cleaner from within the zip file. You have to extract all of the files in the zip to a temporary folder and run it from there.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
glsmith5150

Revo will uninstall it and all of the registry entries too. If it still does not work, you may have to go into regedit and manually remove everything Tivo, searching for "tivo". Not pretty and very dangerous if you are not careful.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
glsmith5150

Not sure if you tried to use Revo or not. Revo can usually remove anything. Otherwise, you will have to manually delete all of the Tivo file and edit the registry and manually delete everything Tivo. Be careful while editing the registry, you can damage Windows if you delete the wrong item. Make sure you image your drive before you attempt to give you an undo. BTW, Tivo Desktop Plus 2.8 runs fine with Win 7 (32 bit). Have not tried with 64 bit OS.