TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
UARMF

Exclamation WARNING! Read before you buy a Moxi

DO NOT BUY A MOXI. They are Trash. They don't work very well with cable cards at all, and constantly need to be reset. Most of the features they claim to already have, don't even work yet. it's not possible to transfers shows to a PC. and although it does have an option to view video from your pc, it works, but doesn't see all your videos. The system doesn't even respond very well to the Remote, and sometimes freezes up. The Price $499 (down from $799) is not at all worth it. and just within the past month they stopped offering payment plans I called Moxi, and the guy said they wont be offering the payment plans anymore.
UARMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
tivohaydon

Interestingly these sound like many of the same complaints that TiVo owners have! Although I haven't experienced it many say the S3 is (was?) unstable. Many learn that they can't transfer many shows to their PC thanks to DRM. The price is $499 for an S3 HD XL which is roughly comparable to the Moxi. The interactive response on the TiVo is so-so at best. Here's another one - transferring a HD show from TiVo isn't even a real-time process because the hardware is so slow/cheap.

I'm frankly very disappointed with TiVo's "progress". They seem to be on a path of "More ads in more places." campaign and (please I hope this isn't true) think their road to salvation is Facebook integration.

Really, the thing that TiVo users WANT is helping them record and view programs better. I bought a DVR. I didn't buy an interactive store kiosk (e.g. Dominos, etc) or an advertising billboard. I have a computer for online shopping which is far better than the anemic processor in the TiVo ever will be. And billboards, I can do without.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
fatlard

Quote:
Originally Posted by UARMF View Post
DO NOT BUY A MOXI. They are Trash. They don't work very well with cable cards at all, and constantly need to be reset. Most of the features they claim to already have, don't even work yet. it's not possible to transfers shows to a PC. and although it does have an option to view video from your pc, it works, but doesn't see all your videos. The system doesn't even respond very well to the Remote, and sometimes freezes up. The Price $499 (down from $799) is not at all worth it. and just within the past month they stopped offering payment plans I called Moxi, and the guy said they wont be offering the payment plans anymore.
Sounds like you did not read up on the feature set of the MOXI HD. I think a good start would be to go ahead and read the user guide and learn about the features of the MOXI HD. A second option would be to either call your cable company for help with your cable card. Oh have you considered calling Moxi for some tech support.

I also asked about the payment plans. They said they dropped the payment plans because they dropped the price of the units. Seems fair enough.

Then.. you should do is to jump onto a Tivo community forum and say "WARNING: Read before you buy a MOXI"

If you want I can dig up some articles of how Tivo HD or Tivo Series 3 had initial issues with Cable Cards.

Please do take advantage of the MOXI 30 day return offer and return it since you are dissatisfied with it.
fatlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
godsrainbow1984

interesting
godsrainbow1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
UARMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlard View Post
Sounds like you did not read up on the feature set of the MOXI HD. I think a good start would be to go ahead and read the user guide and learn about the features of the MOXI HD. A second option would be to either call your cable company for help with your cable card. Oh have you considered calling Moxi for some tech support.

I also asked about the payment plans. They said they dropped the payment plans because they dropped the price of the units. Seems fair enough.

Then.. you should do is to jump onto a Tivo community forum and say "WARNING: Read before you buy a MOXI"

If you want I can dig up some articles of how Tivo HD or Tivo Series 3 had initial issues with Cable Cards.

Please do take advantage of the MOXI 30 day return offer and return it since you are dissatisfied with it.

Ok First off, i'm not the one who bought the MOXI. (I wasn't stupid enough to buy one, after i read the reviews) it was a friend. and 2nd, he's had the cable guy out here atlest once or twice a week since he got it about 3 months ago. The Tuning adapter doesn't stay connected because the Moxi looses the channels required by the Tuning adpater to receive. we've tried two different tuning adapters, and both did the same thing. if you don't think a Moxi is garbage, then go ahead and buy one.
UARMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
fatlard

Quote:
Ok First off, i'm not the one who bought the MOXI. (I wasn't stupid enough to buy one, after i read the reviews) it was a friend. and 2nd, he's had the cable guy out here atlest once or twice a week since he got it about 3 months ago. The Tuning adapter doesn't stay connected because the Moxi looses the channels required by the Tuning adpater to receive. we've tried two different tuning adapters, and both did the same thing. if you don't think a Moxi is garbage, then go ahead and buy one.
Your post proved my point. You had no first hand experience with this. Just hearsay and second hand information.

I did get a Moxi HD 3 room unit. I am trading in my Tivo HD lifetime for it.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
fatlard

BTW, I am no longer replying to this thread after this last post. No need to bump a garbage topic back up to the top for others to read. Besides my point was made in the previous post of you not having first hand knowledge.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
icehole

Both my Tivo HD's are only about 3 months old. It was a toss up between a 2 room moxi or a pair of Tivo HD's.. 1 call to moxi made sure I bought the Tivo's.. When I called I asked about tuners & they told me I could record as many channels at once as I wanted & I only needed 1 cable card.. That told me they didn't have there act together so I went with my other option.
icehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
The Tuning adapter doesn't stay connected because the Moxi looses the channels required by the Tuning adpater to receive. we've tried two different tuning adapters, and both did the same thing.
My TiVo units are just as flaky. I lose my SDV channels, like CNN HD, every other week. Sometimes a few reboots of everything clears it up. Sometimes things take a few days to resync and show back up on their own. CableCARD and tuning adapter voodoo.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
My TiVo units are just as flaky. I lose my SDV channels, like CNN HD, every other week. Sometimes a few reboots of everything clears it up. Sometimes things take a few days to resync and show back up on their own. CableCARD and tuning adapter voodoo.
I know some ATI OCUR users who are having the same problem with the Cisco TA in Windows 7 Media Center.

It's hard to tell whether TiVo exhibits more of these problems, or whether we see more complaints from TiVo owners simply because they are the primary recipient of these TAs.

A tru2way TiVo can't arrive soon enough, although when it does, it will probably open another can of worms.

Last edited by bkdtv : 11-29-2009 at 04:17 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

this looks like another case of a user mistakenly thinking their one individual experience is the arbiter of every user's experience. Along with not reading the manual and also with expecting rock solid performance from something as new as TA's.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
moyekj

It's still early days but Motorola TAs appear to be pretty stable and trouble free thus far, at least the two of mine have been for the last 3 weeks. But it's hard to judge the extent of problems with Cisco TAs and if they are hardware, firmware, headend or TiVo related or some combination of those. For all we know there may be some headends employing Cisco TAs that are very stable.

I can only post based on my brief experience with Moto TAs so far they seem to be rock solid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote