TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Joey P

One TiVo can't see the other.

Well, the title kinda explains it. My Bedroom TiVo can see and transfer from the Living Room TiVo, but the Living Room TiVo can't see the Bedroom TiVo. The setup has been working flawlessly for the past several years. Then about a month ago it was just kinda working. By that I mean, when I would pull up the Now Playing list in the Living Room the link to get to the other TiVo would be there maybe 1 in 20 times (Just going back and forth from the NP list to the main screen over and over would eventually make it appear, failing that rebooting would sometimes work).
Any ideas on this?
Also, nothing has changed that I know of, both TiVos connect to the internet just fine.
Joey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
transam9898

Ive got the same problem on one of my tivo's just all of my other networked TiVOS dissappear, only way to get them back is a reboot.....

Its a BUG im sure (especially that more than one has this SAME Problem..... but I doubt tivo will FIX it ;(
transam9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
jjberger2134

Model numbers? Are both S2, S3 or a combination of both? What type of connection to the router - wired or wireless?

Did you check your Media Access Key to make sure both are the same and have Enable Transfers check on tivo.com?

Have you rebooted both TiVo's or just the one that is having trouble with the NPL? Try rebooting both, as well as your router.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Joey P

Both S2's, both have been rebooted, both wired, haven't checked the MAKs yet, but I just rebooted the router and at the moment it's working. We'll see if it's still working later tonight.

Last edited by Joey P : 10-25-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Joey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
johnf@home

Just started happening for me, too.
(Two TiVo HDs; one wired, one wireless).
Old 10-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
jbird327

I am also having this issue at my Mom's house - 1xS3, 1xS2, both use wireless. The S2, closest to the router can see the S3 which is one floor below. The S3 briefly saw S2 after a reboot. This started a month or so ago.
jbird327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
johnf@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf@home View Post
Just started happening for me, too.
(Two TiVo HDs; one wired, one wireless).
A clarification - it's not a MAK issue. My setup hasn't changed for almost two years (except for hard-wiring one TiVo to the router several months ago).

If I reboot the primary (wired) TiVo, or 'change' the network configuration and force it to re-accquire an IP address from the router, I can see the second TiVo for a while, but then it disappears from the "Now Playing" screen. The IP address is still valid - the second TiVo can still see the primary one, and any transfer in progress will still continue (and terminate normally); it's just the "Now Playing" display that seems to be wrong.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
feroc

I'm having exact same problem - i have 3 wirelessly connected tivos on my network, all been working fine for at least 2 years, now intermittently they stop seeing one another. tivo desktop software usually can see all 3 at the same time they don't see each other. occasionally the desktop software also can't see the tivos. NOTHING has changed on my network or it's setup. was there a new version of tivo software downloaded to the boxes that is messing with things? very very frustrating. i have rebooted the router, the wireless adapters and the tivo boxes several times. occasionally the other tivos will appear on one another but then later i go back and they are not there. sounds like others having the same problem?
feroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
johnf@home

More information:

The TiVo that is not displaying information can still see my home network, and a test connection to the Tivo service succeeeds. The other TiVo (on the same network) can see the first TiVo.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Try unplugging your wired/wireless connection from the TiVos.
Restart the TiVos.
Re-plug the connections.
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
johnf@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
Try unplugging your wired/wireless connection from the TiVos.
Restart the TiVos.
Re-plug the connections.
And how will this help?

I can re-establish communication by rebooting the wired TiVo, or by forcing it to re-accquire an IP address. But that only lasts for an hour or so, and then the other Tivo drops off the "Now Playing" list.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
lebowits

I've recently started having this issue as well. My S3 can see my HD with no problems but the HD can't see the S3. I rebooted the HD but it didn't make a difference. Both are connected wirelessly and are reporting good network connections.
lebowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

Have you tried "reserving" the IPs in the router's set up. This sort of makes the DHCP in the router use the same IP all the time for the selected device. I think it is related to MAC of the device.

I've done that for printers that don't seem to follow the dynamic IPs routinely assigned by DHCP. I kept losing the printer until I "reserved" the IP for the printer. It is sort of like a stactic IP but not quite.

I've done that for my TiVos as well and have never lost a TiVo or a printer since doing it.

Some routers may noit offer that option. You may have to go for a straight static IP.
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
lebowits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdeadcat View Post
Have you tried "reserving" the IPs in the router's set up. This sort of makes the DHCP in the router use the same IP all the time for the selected device. I think it is related to MAC of the device.

I've done that for printers that don't seem to follow the dynamic IPs routinely assigned by DHCP. I kept losing the printer until I "reserved" the IP for the printer. It is sort of like a stactic IP but not quite.

I've done that for my TiVos as well and have never lost a TiVo or a printer since doing it.

Some routers may noit offer that option. You may have to go for a straight static IP.
No, I haven't setup static IPs. This has been working for several years (like a few others who have posted here) and has only recently failed. Both TiVos see the network and the S3 can "see" the HD and show the content available for xfer. So in my case, the problem is limited to the HD not recognizing the S3.
lebowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

None of this addresses why the issue just crops up. I've been having the same problem just recently; it's been working just fine the past 6 months (since I got the second TiVo). The only wild card in the equation is I just added a Blu-ray player (LG BD390) and have been using its wireless capability to connect to my home network. Today, I just hardwired it with a Cat-5 cable, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
johnf@home

At this point I'm not convinced that it's really a network problem. My experience, and that of several others, seems to suggest that the network (other TiVos, PCs, etc.) can see the 'failing' TiVo, and that it can see the network - connections to the TiVo site still work, and program transfers (both in-progress and queued) complete normally.

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is showing other devices in the "Now Playing" list (which makes it hard to browse those other devices or set up new transfers).
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Well, so far, so good. I rebooted the "disappearing" TiVo yesterday, and it still appears in my S3's NPL today.

XL4
Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowits View Post
No, I haven't setup static IPs. This has been working for several years (like a few others who have posted here) and has only recently failed. Both TiVos see the network and the S3 can "see" the HD and show the content available for xfer. So in my case, the problem is limited to the HD not recognizing the S3.
Exact same problem here: My S3 could see my HD, but my HD could not see the S3. I re-started the S3, did not touch the HD, and now the HD can see the S3 again.

I have a probably "typically complex" home network, with the S3 hardwired to a gigabit switch, and my HD is hardwired to a wireless access point, and both have static IPs.

I don't use MRV very often and can't say for sure how long it's been since the HD stopped showing the S3 in its "Now Playing" list.
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
nycityuser

This problem just started with me in the past week. I have 3 TIVOs - 2 TIVO HDs and one Series 2. One of the TIVO HDs is having the intermittent problem of not seeing one or both of the others on the Now Playing List. I generally restart the unit and everything is fine for a day or so.

I'll try restarting all 3 of my TIVOs and see what happens.

It should be noted that this just started happening to several of us, so it is most likely something on TIVO's end that is causing this.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
johnf@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Well, so far, so good. I rebooted the "disappearing" TiVo yesterday, and it still appears in my S3's NPL today.
That seems to be working for me too. It's only been six hours since the reboot, but that's about five hours longer than things worked before ...
Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #21
johnf@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
None of this addresses why the issue just crops up. I've been having the same problem just recently; it's been working just fine the past 6 months (since I got the second TiVo). The only wild card in the equation is I just added a Blu-ray player (LG BD390) and have been using its wireless capability to connect to my home network.
That may be significant. I've actually seen my second TiVo drop off the "Now Playing" screen while I was looking at it. This happened at exactly the same time as my PlayStation 3 (also a networked device) powered off.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I went wired with my LG BD390 Blue-ray player (as of Saturday), and I haven't seen any problem since. I'm suspecting this may have, indeed, been the culprit.

XL4
Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #23
desertdogs

Trouble with talking to dvr 2 is intermittent

We have been having trouble losing one of three dvr units for the last 5-6 months. The wireless signal strength is very good, in the high 80s or 90% when the unit is lost. It may appear (on another dvr) part of a day, disappear, and then come back. Rebooting the dvr we are using to contact the lost unit will restore contact, but only for a while. In this case both dvr's are series 2.
desertdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #24
johnf@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdogs View Post
We have been having trouble losing one of three dvr units for the last 5-6 months. The wireless signal strength is very good, in the high 80s or 90% when the unit is lost. It may appear (on another dvr) part of a day, disappear, and then come back. Rebooting the dvr we are using to contact the lost unit will restore contact, but only for a while. In this case both dvr's are series 2.
While it may seem counter-intuitive, I (and at least one other poster) have been able to solve the problem by rebooting the disappearing TiVo, even though it appears to be working normally. I did that myself a day ago, and since then it has always showed up in the "Now Playing" list on my other TiVo.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #25
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

In some cases it's clear that the router involved is having problems with multicast traffic not being bridged between different components of a LAN (eg, the wireless and wired parts, or the WLAN and LAN parts). There are lots of router bug reports on that. The TiVo discovery method (Bonjour) is a multicast protocol. So anything that resets such a router (or router entry, like rebooting a device) may make the TiVo discoverable again, or it may hide it.

I'm not saying there aren't other problems here, but given the amount of multicast bug reports out there (and routers which by default don't multicast), it's clear a good number of the problems here could be caused by people's routers. People should google for multicast issues with their routers.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #26
b4favre

Still doesn't explain the sudden change...

Even if there are multi-cast issues, that doesn't explain how a setup that has worked flawlessly for a year or more suddenly fails. In my case, the HD Tivo can see and retrieve from the Series 2. The Series 2 sees the HD Tivo, but as soon as you select it, it goes blank ("there are no programs available," or some such error). Both boxes are viewable from the laptop with Tivo Desktop. (All connections are hard wired -- no wifi.)

What could be causing this? I'm running a long disk check routine on the HD Tivo now, but have have no confidence that this will find any problems.
b4favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #27
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4favre View Post
Even if there are multi-cast issues, that doesn't explain how a setup that has worked flawlessly for a year or more suddenly fails.

What could be causing this? I'm running a long disk check routine on the HD Tivo now, but have have no confidence that this will find any problems.
Many of us had the same situation. We solved it by restarting both TIVOs. I restarted a week ago and everything is back to normal again.
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #28
ggieseke

Quote:
Even if there are multi-cast issues, that doesn't explain how a setup that has worked flawlessly for a year or more suddenly fails. In my case, the HD Tivo can see and retrieve from the Series 2. The Series 2 sees the HD Tivo, but as soon as you select it, it goes blank ("there are no programs available," or some such error). Both boxes are viewable from the laptop with Tivo Desktop. (All connections are hard wired -- no wifi.)

There's a known bug if you have a tuning adapter for switched digital video installed on your HD. The thread "MRV confusion" goes into detail, but from what I gather it only happens when you try to view the HD's NPL from a Series 2 and there's a recording in that NPL that was from an SDV channel.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
b4favre

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. That thread (most of it) describes my situation exactly. I'll take this up with Support and see what's in development.
b4favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Even if there are multi-cast issues, that doesn't explain how a setup that has worked flawlessly for a year or more suddenly fails.....
That was my EXACT point in a post I made earlier in this thread. In my case, I recently added the LG BD390 Blu-ray player and was using its wireless connection. THAT'S when I started having this problem. As soon as I changed that to a wired connection, the problem disappeared. Everything had been fine for 6 months until I fired up the Blu-ray player's wireless connection...

XL4