TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Keeping the entire path and a timestamp in a log file would be ideal but it's probably a lot of work to write the code to read it back and make informed decisions on what to push every time the program runs.
No I think it's pretty easy. Only need to read file once when starting up and then store the entries in memory. Any successful pushes simply append to the file. And I would probably make the file paths relative to the top share directory so in case the top share path changes it won't affect anything. Only problem with this type of approach is if the tracking file gets corrupted in some way due to full disk or similar problem there's a (small) chance all entries are lost and then next time everything gets pushed again, but that is probably pretty rare.

One could get fancier and check entries in the file versus whether they still exist on disk and remove entries whose files no longer exist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #32
tlphipps

Feature request

I haven't had time to set this up just yet, but I fully intend to. I've wanted this functionality for quite some time. So thanks for all the work so far!

But even without using it yet, I have a feature request: Would it be possible to add a pre-processing step to allow for auto-running something like videoredo's quickstreamfix? When I pull videos in from my DVDs I generally have to run the QSF to make everything kosher with the Tivo, so automating that as well would be awesome!
tlphipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #33
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
If you write one file to each share that contains the date/time stamp of the last file that was pushed successfully I think that would work even better.
I don't think that would work well. Files with old timestamps could be copied/moved to the auto push folder. I think the tracking method needs to remain per-file, whether that is implemented using .processed files or some other kind of index file. It should be simple and user-editable so the user can easily add/remove exclusions.

Last edited by spocko : 10-26-2009 at 06:03 PM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #34
spocko
TiVo HD

Here's an idea for what I think would be a useful addition to the auto push tool.

The existing logic can be described as:
Push all files that are not marked for exclusion.

I think the inverse logic would also be interesting:
Push only files that are marked for inclusion.

This would allow individual files to be explicitly marked for push. In this mode, there would be a list of inclusions rather than a list of exclusions. The mode could potentially be set on a per-share basis, so one share could use an exclusion list, while another could use an inclusion list.

For example, a "mode" could be added to the watchlist definition:

Code:
watchList = [
   {"tivo": "LivingRoom", "path": "c:\\videos\\podcasts", "share": push_all", "mode": "exclude"}
   {"tivo": "LivingRoom", "path": "c:\\videos\\movies", "share": selective_push", "mode": "include"}
]
The script currently uses .processed files to track exclusions, so something similar could be used for inclusions. For example, an empty file with a .push extension could mark an inclusion. After the corresponding file is pushed, the .push file could just be deleted.

The main use that I see for this is with batch processing. Files could selectively be processed and marked for push.

What do you guys think?
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
reneg

Fixed a minor bug in the script for Windows in the isVideo routine to enclose the file name in quotes.
changed
Code:
      command = "" + ffmpeg + " -i " + file
to
Code:
      command = "" + ffmpeg + " -i \"" + file + "\""

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #36
moyekj

Probably should wrap ffmpeg in quotes as well in case it has spaces as well...

Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #37
reneg

Good point.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #38
moyekj

Added the above fixes with the extra wrapper quotes for the ffmpeg call. Also added checking of push call so that unsuccessful pushes are not marked with .processed file.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #39
moyekj

Java version of the program with GUI and ability to run in service mode is now available.

A big change compared to python script is the tracking of pushed files is now done using a tracking file called auto_push.txt at the top of each video share being monitored with entries for files already pushed (as discussed a little earlier in this thread).

Documentation, download and source code are now located in a Google project:
http://code.google.com/p/pytivo-auto-push/

Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #40
Zaphod

If I can get this utility to work I think I'll love it!

It won't pick up my pyTivo.conf file. I launch the .jar file, I browse to my pyTivo.conf file and it displays that full path in the appropriate field on the screen (my path is D:\Apps\pyTivo\pyTivo.conf). But I don't see any of the shares show up in the lower half (I have 3 shares defined). I click "save" and don't get any errors, but when I close and reopen the auto-push gui, the path to pyTivo.conf file is missing. When I look at the config.ini file, I see the <pyTivo.conf> section but there's nothing in it. I also notice in the log file after I close and reopen the GUI, I see the following error:

2009_12_07_22:59:57 ERROR: File does not exist:

Any ideas? Oh, this is on Windows Vista, and I do have pyTivo all working for both pulls and manual pushes.

Thank you.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #41
moyekj

Zaphod, after you browse to the file and it shows the full file path in the text field, you have to press Return to apply it. Then your shares should show up and when you save it will remember the path (and the shares).

Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #42
Zaphod

Thanks much! That did it. I see that now on the "Configuring. . ." wiki page. I had read that before but missed that step somehow. Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #43
Hcour

I'm trying out the program for the first time, but I get the msg "tivo_username and/or tivo_password not set in pyTivo config file". What username and password does it mean? Thanks.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #44
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
I'm trying out the program for the first time, but I get the msg "tivo_username and/or tivo_password not set in pyTivo config file". What username and password does it mean? Thanks.
It's the username & password that you use to access your "My TiVo" account online.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #45
moyekj

Quote:
In order for pyTivo to be able to do "pushes" it needs your tivo.com login & password information. You can use localhost:9032 to get to pyTivo web configuration. Under Global Server Settings you have to set tivo_username & tivo_password according to your tivo.com login & password.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #46
Hcour

Sorry, I'm lost. When I click on Global Server Settings and then click "edit section" there is no entry for a username or password. Also, my username when I log into Tivo.com is my email address, is that what I use? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #47
moyekj

Quote:
Sorry, I'm lost. When I click on Global Server Settings and then click "edit section" there is no entry for a username or password. Also, my username when I log into Tivo.com is my email address, is that what I use? Thanks.
You can edit pyTivo.conf file manually and add the following entries manually under [Server] section:
tivo_username = <username>
tivo_password = <password>

substitute <username> with your tivo.com login (your email)
substitute <password> with your tivo.com password

Old 12-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #48
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
EDIT: Since this 1st posting there this program has now evolved from a python script into a Java program with a GUI and ability to run as a service for Windows platforms or as background job for Mac/Linux platforms.
Oh, way cool! I'll have to look into this functionality this weekend. Since every once in a while there is some sort of error in files pulled off using TTG that prevents the entire program from trasnferring back to the TiVo, I always do a test push to make sure the file will transfer completely. Automating this will save me a little bit of trouble. Thanks!
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #49
Hcour

Ok, thanks, it's working, but I need to do some more reading to learn more about it, how to setup folders and whatever. So, in the meantime, how do I stop it for now? I clicked on Stop, I unchecked autopush, then I deleted the whole folder and rebooted. It still pushing programs to my Tivo. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #50
moyekj

Quote:
Ok, thanks, it's working, but I need to do some more reading to learn more about it, how to setup folders and whatever. So, in the meantime, how do I stop it for now? I clicked on Stop, I unchecked autopush, then I deleted the whole folder and rebooted. It still pushing programs to my Tivo. Thanks.
You can run as GUI or service. If you have it running as service then just stop the service. Once you quit GUI and service it will no longer send requests to pyTivo. However, remember that all this program is doing is sending a bunch of push requests to pyTivo, so pyTivo is doing all the actual pushes. So let's say you had 20 videos under a folder. Once the 20 push requests go to pyTivo even if you stop this program then mind.tivo.com & pyTivo will still be working to handle all 20 requests. If you want to physically stop the pushes from happening then you must shut down pyTivo for a while.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #51
Zaphod

THANK YOU for creating this! It's a God send!!

I seem to have this working now but I wanted to report something odd I saw when first setting this up. I can't seem to recreate it now but I still wanted to mention it.

I have Auto-Push running as a service. The first few times I put a video in the folder that I had configured Auto-Push to monitor, it would push the file TWICE.

On one file, it would keep pushing it over and over and over. After about the5th or 6th time I finally deleted the file to get it to stop pushing.

Again, it seems to be settled down now and only pushing things once, but I wanted to mention it.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #52
moyekj

Zaphod, the auto_push.txt file at top level of pyTivo share folder is what keeps track of what files have already been pushed, so if you encounter that problem that is the file to check, along with the auto_push.log which the service logs to.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #53
Zaphod

Yep, I knew about the auto_push.txt file. I had checked that and the file name was in there and it still got pushed over and over.

I did not know about the log file but I just checked that and it confirms pushing the same file over and over. I've attached it if you want to take a look (had to add the .txt extension to be able to upload it), but don't feel obligated. But if you do, look on 12/8 and you'll the "Cranky Geeks 2.mov" file being pushed over and over and over. I do see something about connection lost or failed or timed out in between each one, but the full file did get transferred each and every time. Even after stopping and restarting both the auto-push service and pyTivo, it resumed pushing the file again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt auto_push.log.txt (19.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #54
Zaphod

Hey, I have another question. This applies to both auto-push and kmttg.

In Vista, to be able to install, start, and stop the service, doesn't the app have to be run as an Admin? I know there's the BAT files and that's what I've been using, but it'd be nice to be able to use the menu items in the apps.

How does one run these Java apps as an administrator? When I right-click on the .jar file there's no "Run as Administrator" option. Even if I create a shortcut to the .jar file, there's nowhere in the shortcut I can specify to run as an admin.

Thanks again!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #55
cburbs

I am at trying this one again. I get the stuff to push...blue light on my tivo but when I actually go look the new file is not there. Now if I go to settings in Tivo and go to my AutoPush folder and select transfer the blue light goes on the tivo and the file is actually transferred.
Any ideas on what might be going on.
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #56
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
I am at trying this one again. I get the stuff to push...blue light on my tivo but when I actually go look the new file is not there. Now if I go to settings in Tivo and go to my AutoPush folder and select transfer the blue light goes on the tivo and the file is actually transferred.
Any ideas on what might be going on.
You should test pyTivo push outside of this program 1st to make sure everything is working. See configuring_auto_push Wiki and specifically the TEST PYTIVO PUSH SETUP section.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #57
cburbs

TEST PYTIVO PUSH SETUP - Oh I forgot I did this also. Again blue light comes on but nothing shows up once done. Is there a file I can look at to see what is happening.
I am using a wireless bridge to my Tivo. Like I mentioned if I transfer the same file within the Tivo it works.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #58
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Yep, I knew about the auto_push.txt file. I had checked that and the file name was in there and it still got pushed over and over.

I did not know about the log file but I just checked that and it confirms pushing the same file over and over. I've attached it if you want to take a look (had to add the .txt extension to be able to upload it), but don't feel obligated. But if you do, look on 12/8 and you'll the "Cranky Geeks 2.mov" file being pushed over and over and over. I do see something about connection lost or failed or timed out in between each one, but the full file did get transferred each and every time. Even after stopping and restarting both the auto-push service and pyTivo, it resumed pushing the file again.
Yes it's pretty clear from the log file that several responses from pyTivo server to push requests were not the expected "OK". You will notice in the log file that several Cranky Greeks pushes are followed by an ERROR message reply from pyTivo web server. auto-push expects "OK" to be returned by pyTivo and only then assumes the push request went through OK and adds entry to auto_push.txt file so it won't get processed again. If there was an ERROR of some sort returned by pyTivo it assumes push request didn't work. Looks like it sorted itself out after a while.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #59
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
TEST PYTIVO PUSH SETUP - Oh I forgot I did this also. Again blue light comes on but nothing shows up once done. Is there a file I can look at to see what is happening.
I am using a wireless bridge to my Tivo. Like I mentioned if I transfer the same file within the Tivo it works.
Try pyTivo in debug mode. Easiest way I know is do the following.
* If you are running pyTivo as a service then stop it
* Edit pyTivo.conf file and under [Server] section set debug=True
* Double-click on pyTivo.py to start pyTivo in a console
* Now go through TEST PYTIVO PUSH SETUP to try and push and examine the pyTivo console for errors.

If it's not obvious what problem is then post the console messages here.

(If I had to guess, the problem is tivo_username and/or tivo_password are not setup properly and hence pyTivo can't properly login to mind.tivo.com to initiate the push).

Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #60
cburbs

INFOyTivo:127.0.0.1 [11/Dec/2009 08:10:32] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryCont
ainer&Container=My%20Videos/Watch HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFOyTivo:127.0.0.1 [11/Dec/2009 08:10:32] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=XSL&Conta
iner=My%20Videos/Watch HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFOyTivo:192.x.x.x [11/Dec/2009 08:10:50] "GET /My%20Videos/Watch/Crimi
nal%20Minds%20-%20S05E01%20-%20Faceless,%20Nameless.avi?Format=video%2Fmpeg HTTP
/1.1" 206 -
FFmpeg version SVN-r15216-rdian06-0.96-win32-x86_32, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fab
rice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --ena
ble-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --
enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --disable-
ffserver --disable-vhook --enable-avisynth --enable-pthreads
libavutil 49.10. 0 / 49.10. 0
libavcodec 51.71. 0 / 51.71. 0
libavformat 52.22. 0 / 52.22. 0
libavdevice 52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
libswscale 0. 6. 1 / 0. 6. 1
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
built on Sep 25 2008 23:08:49, gcc: 4.2.4 [Sherpya]
Input #0, avi, from 'F:\tivo\Watch\Criminal Minds - S05E01 - Faceless, Nameless.
avi':
Duration: 00:43:07.27, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1134 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 624x352 [PAR 1:1 DAR 39:22], 23.98 tb(r)

Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/s
Output #0, vob, to 'pipe:':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 624x352 [PAR 1:1 DAR 39:22], q=2-31
, 16384 kb/s, 23.98 tb(c)
Stream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 448 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Press [q] to stop encoding
frame= 4645 fps= 52 q=2.0 size= 68854kB time=193.69 bitrate=2912.1kbits/s

Then a little later the bottom section after Press [q] -
INFOyTivo:127.0.0.1 [11/Dec/2009 08:19:26] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=My%20Videos HTTP/1.
1" 200 -
INFOyTivo:127.0.0.1 [11/Dec/2009 08:19:26] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=XSL&Container=My%20Videos HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFOyTivo:127.0.0.1 [11/Dec/2009 08:19:30] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=My%20Videos/Watch H
TTP/1.1" 200 -
INFOyTivo:127.0.0.1 [11/Dec/2009 08:19:30] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=XSL&Container=My%20Videos/Watch HTTP/1.1" 20
0 -
frame=43241 fps= 55 q=2.0 size= 658536kB time=1803.47 bitrate=2991.3kbits/s
============================================================ ==

Now I checked the Tivo and it is showing the criminal minds show in the "now playing list". It didn't before and I didn't change anything besides turning off the service and running it in debug mode.

Now I am testing another show and it looks like it is going. This time I restarted the pytivo service and then did the push thru pytivo and it seems to be OK. Maybe the service just needed a restart.

Last edited by cburbs : 12-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.