TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Marilyn

Angry Tivo Series 2 with Comcast Cable Card

I tried to find the answer throughout the forum but did not so forgive me.

I have been on the phone with Comcast for 2 weeks getting the run around. 2 weeks ago alot of my channels stopped working. I was told that it was a Tivo problem, not a Comcast problem.

I had written and called Comcast several times months ago and asked if there was going to be ANY problem with Tivo Series 2 with the digital switch and they assured me I would have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. (I hadn't even purchased the Tivo 2 yet so I was counting on their answer to make my purchase).

First they sent me a converter box which apparently would get me the channels back, but stop my ability to record two shows at the same time. Great! Not an option.

Now I have an appointment because they say that they are going to install a cable card and that will solve both problems. It will get my channels back and still allow me to record two at a time.

IS THIS TRUE? I DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY TELL ME!
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

It's hard to tell from the information, but if I am understanding you correctly, the answer is "yes". A "CableCard" is, for all intents and purposes, a "very small cable box" that the TiVo (or whatever device it is plugged into) can control.

You might need two CableCards - HD models will accept what are called "M-cards", which can handle two tuners at once, but I think Series 2 TiVos will only allow one tuner to be controlled per card (this is why there are two CableCard slots). There will probably be a $2/month charge for this.

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
RTstratSpring

Hi Marilyn,

I am also in Maryland (Montgomery Co.) and recently received notices and phone messages from Comcast.

The Tivo Series 2 won't work with cable cards. Cable cards will however work with either the TivoHD or Series 3 DVR's. After Comcast makes the digital switch a Series 2 will only get programming from the internal tuner in the Series 2 rendering the other (direct from the wall outlet) tuner obsolete.

The other issue at play here is they are also moving a lot of the analog channels over to their digital line-up which for me means the loss of programs such as the "Weather Channel", MSNBC and the like.

I'm hoping to replace my last Series 2 DVR with a TivoHD to match my other one in the living room. My parents who also live in Maryland (Charles Co.) just had to do the same thing.

Of course this all means money and time and I feel your pain!
RTstratSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

You can still record two channels at one time when you use a cable box, but you are limited to two analog channels or one analog and one digital (box) channel. You just have to split the cable as it comes out of the wall and connect one side to the cable box which then connects to the Tivo via composite (red, white, yellow) cable and then the other side gets connected to the TiVos rf (coaxial) input.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
I have been on the phone with Comcast for 2 weeks getting the run around. 2 weeks ago alot of my channels stopped working. I was told that it was a Tivo problem, not a Comcast problem.
No, it is combination, not just TiVo and not just Comcast. Someone was just trying to get you off the phone.

Quote:
First they sent me a converter box which apparently would get me the channels back, but stop my ability to record two shows at the same time. Great! Not an option.
They want you to use the cheap converter box, but you would be better served by using a full function cable box with the TiVo S2 DT DVR. If you use a real cable box with composite output, you will not lose dual tuner functionality. Admittedly, with only 22 to 30 channel left on analog, your ability to record two channels at once is diminished, but since you will still have dual tuner on the network channels, you won't be losing as much as some of the complaints might have led you to believe.

Quote:
Now I have an appointment because they say that they are going to install a cable card and that will solve both problems. It will get my channels back and still allow me to record two at a time.
As noted above, cable cards DO NOT WORK with Series 2 TiVo DVRs. You would need to replace your S2 with a new HD TiVo for cable cards to be of value to you. That said, it is a great upgrade, so you may want to consider it.

Just get a full feature cable box with composite outputs. Split the cable at the wall, feed one leg to the DVR and one to the cable box. Run red, white, yellow from the cable box to the DVR and the same colors from the DVR to the TV. You will have dual tune, you will have access to all channels (but not able to dual tune those above 30), and a pretty darn good DVR experience. The only thing better would be to ditch the S2 and get a TiVo HD with cable card.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Marilyn

Tivo Series 3 with Comcast

I will never upgrade to another Tivo if Comcast and Tivo aren't going to work together. As soon as you buy an upgrade Comcast will do something else to make them not work together. I am afraid Comcast is going to win by forcing me to get their DVR instead of Tivo which is what they want. I hate that the Comcast DVR doesn't rollback a few seconds after the commercials.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTstratSpring View Post
Hi Marilyn,

I am also in Maryland (Montgomery Co.) and recently received notices and phone messages from Comcast.

The Tivo Series 2 won't work with cable cards.
My bad - I thought the dual-tuner S2s had CableCard slots.

(A CableCard isn't really meant to replace one of those analog-to-digital converter boxes Comcast is giving out; it's meant to replace a full-size digital cable box with the 3-digit channel numbers. Even with that, TiVos with CableCards cannot access PPV or OnDemand services - this is one of the things near the top of pretty much everyone's "wish list" for the Series 4 TiVo, if they ever get around to it.)

The problem now is, you are going to need something called an "IR Blaster" - you plug it into the back of the TiVo, then put the other end in front of the converter box; it acts like the converter box's remote control. Unfortunately, these are notorious for not working 100% of the time, and there is no way for the converter box to tell the TiVo what channel it just tuned to so the TiVo would know whether or not to try again.

The only solutions to being able to record two things at once and to be able to watch/record digital channels are a Comcast Box and a TiVo HD.

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
Marilyn

Thanks guys. I went and got the box yesterday (it was too easy so something can't be right). I think I have a IR blaster because I think it comes with TiVo. Just need to find it. Is all this going to work with my wireless dohicky?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
RonDawg

Quote:
Thanks guys. I went and got the box yesterday (it was too easy so something can't be right). I think I have a IR blaster because I think it comes with TiVo. Just need to find it. Is all this going to work with my wireless dohicky?
If what you mean by "wireless dohicky" is the TiVo Wireless Adapter (or 3rd party unit that is known to work with TiVo), this is independent from the Comcast cable box.

Before you hook up the Comcast box to your TiVo, hook it up to your TV first to make sure it is working properly. That way, if you do have problems getting it to work with TiVo, you know it's not due to a defective cable box, or improper installation of same.

Assuming your TV has these inputs (and they are not taken up by another device) try to use the same type of connector that you will be using to hook it up to the TiVo, to ensure that the outputs are working. For example, if you plan on using s-video between the box and the TiVo, use that same output when testing on the TV, again assuming your TV has this and is not used by something else.

While looking for the IR blasters (yes they came with your TiVo) look for the large installation sheet that came with your unit. That will show you step by step how to connect the cable box to your TiVo, including how to set up the IR blasters. The latter can be a bit tricky with certain cable box units, particularly the small "DTA's" (Digital Transport Adapters) which are miniaturized, stripped-down cable boxes that many companies are handing out as second and subsequent cable boxes.

If you lost that installation sheet, you can get the instructions here:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...05/r_id/100041
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #10
Marilyn

Wow Dawg! Great idea to test is first. Today is the day I try to hook this all up. I am prepared for a lot of cursing.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
musictime

you believe them firstly.when you got cheat you become unbelievable,
musictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musictime View Post
you believe them firstly.when you got cheat you become unbelievable,

And the sledge hammer dances with prune by midnight.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Marilyn

Well, knew it was too easy. Thanks to RonDawg for telling me to try it with the TV first before going through the entire hook up. I tried to activate the box and they told me I had to pay $9.00 a month for it! Why would I pay 9.00 to Comcast and 12.95 a month to Tivo when I could get comcast DVR for 13.95 a month instead of TiVo. I guess TiVo will be going out of business since Comcast is forcing me to use their DVR. I am so fed up with Comcast I wish I had another option, but I've already had the same **** customer service with Verizon so they are all the same.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ignore every other post in this thread. I didn't even read them.

Do you twitter? If so, tweet to @comcastcares immediately

If you don't twitter, email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com.

Do not call your local office. Do not contact any other number.

They will help you.

Don't believe me? Google Frank Eliason.

Do it now.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #15
schipperke

Montgomery Co MD

We have the Series 2 also. Wife insists on Tivo . Remember the dual between Tivo and Replay? I purchased a Replay first, and wife was bugging me, so swapped for a Tivo, now she won't do without it. On the Comcast letter I just received, it reads a cable card is free (probably only a single, and you need two or an M card) so I think the M card plus Tivo service would not be too much more than getting the Comcast DVR, which I've seen and do not compare.
Of course you have to also plunk down $200 for a new DVR as well, but you just have to pay for better stuff, right?

We will probably go with FIOS, they have cable cards as well. A drawback with Tivo however is no two way communication with your provider, no VOD, which we wouldn't use anyway.
schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
I guess TiVo will be going out of business since Comcast is forcing me to use their DVR.
This made me chuckle.
brettatk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
Marilyn

You can't use a cable card with the series 2.

I gave up my Tivo and surrendered to Comcast SOBs. I felt like I had not choice. I hate it. Tivo was sooo much better. I receive different error codes every night.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
Raymond Day

I know they have a comcast TiVo out now. It's like there comcast DVR with the TiVo software. I think I seen it at tivo.com and comcast.net

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #19
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Day View Post
I know they have a comcast TiVo out now. It's like there comcast DVR with the TiVo software. I think I seen it at tivo.com and comcast.net

-Raymond Day
That only available in the Boston Ma area markets right now.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote