Originally Posted by sinanju
I wanted to create a Season Pass for "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" a while back, but there were no upcoming episodes in the schedule. I used TiVo Search to find the show and took advantage of the option to create an autorecording Wishlist. Now that the show is in the schedule and findable via a title search, the Wishlist isn't recording anything.
TiVo Search created the Wishlist as a title search -- correctly spelled, properly cased and punctuated. Actually, the punctuation was better than can be entered manually, given the contraction was added. I'm going to guess that the punctuation in the contraction is screwing something up, but that's just a guess.
For the record, creating a Wishlist by hand worked -- so, assuming case does not matter and the one character didn't push the title over a length boundary, it does appear to be the "'" in the "It's".
I did some testing and noticed the same issue with several more wishlists. It appears that TiVo Search's create wishlist function doesn't sanity check for special characters, which as you noticed causes wishlists that won't work. Editing the wishlist by hand to remove the special character (and then retyping any other characters that you had to erase) causes the wishlists to start working.
I've noticed it with apostrophes (like your issue), as well and colons ":" and ellipses "...", but I suspect it will happen with any character that isn't in the alphanumeric set that TiVo lets you manually select for wishlists.
(I haven't had a chance to test if it will choke on accented characters like "é" or "ñ". AFAIK TiVo still matches the unaccented version of them, 'e' or 'n', against the accented version in the guide data. But who knows how it'll handle them being auto-entered into a wishlist search string)