CS: NY (CBS)

Thursday, October 29
CSI (CBS)
The Mentalist (CBS)

Friday, October 30
Ghost Whisperer (CBS)
Medium (CBS)
Numb3rs (CBS)
Now, my first thought was that perhaps the other networks haven't decided what to do that week yet, except that they have: Only CBS is presenting almost all reruns that week.

Very strange.

Any speculation about why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bicker : 09-18-2009 at 07:27 AM.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Probably nothing to do with it, but the World Series starts on 10/28 (Fox).
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
bicker
Gruff

Yeah, the timing is off, for there to be a relationship there. And both ABC and NBC are showing new episodes that week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
lew

Networks have a limited number of new episodes, excepting Leno. NBC will be airing the Olympics in 2010. Probably at least 2 weeks without the need to air regular programs. I don't know why ABC decided to go with new episodes and CBS decided to go with re-runs.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
bicker
Gruff

It really seems like the wrong week to have done this... the week after would make more sense... specifically the week of the World Series (October 28, 2009-November 1, 2, 4 or 5, 2009). It's like they muffed up by two days.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
lew

CBS decided to go with reruns for the entire week. They have re-runs scheduled against the first 4 games of the WS. Networks will sometimes switch to a re-run against game 7.

November is still sweeps. I suspect CBS doesn't want to schedule re-runs against a potential game 5,6 or 7 of the WS. I suspect CBS will switch to re-runs against a game 7 (and maybe game 6) of the WS.

A team is up 3-1. I'm not sure how many viewers (nationally) will watch game 5.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
bicker
Gruff

That doesn't really explain why they're running reruns on Monday and Tuesday.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
It really seems like the wrong week to have done this... the week after would make more sense... specifically the week of the World Series (October 28, 2009-November 1, 2, 4 or 5, 2009). It's like they muffed up by two days.
Two words: November Sweeps.

Usually, the "week of reruns" is the first week in December.

Oh, and pardon me for asking, but where did this information come from - who has network rerun schedules listed that far in advance?

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
lew

Quote:
That doesn't really explain why they're running reruns on Monday and Tuesday.
I think this is the first year some WS games might be played during November sweeps.

I don't have any inside information. Looks like CBS has more "traditional" shows then the other networks. Shows that are expensive to film and only have 19-22 new episodes. There aren't enough new episodes for the entire year. Isn't the week before sweeps is traditionally a re-run week? Makes sense to do it this year since re-runs will be scheduled the second half of the week.

I think you're asking the wrong question. A better question would be why are ABC and NBC running new episodes Monday and Tuesday?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Usually, the "week of reruns" is the first week in December.
Well, mostly. CBS did the same thing last year, but last year it was timed to coincide with the World Series. This year, it just seems like they goofed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Oh, and pardon me for asking, but where did this information come from - who has network rerun schedules listed that far in advance?
You can probably find the info in several places. Try the Futon Critic's listings, for starters.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
lew

Quote:
Well, mostly. CBS did the same thing last year, but last year it was timed to coincide with the World Series. This year, it just seems like they goofed.

You can probably find the info in several places. Try the Futon Critic's listings, for starters.
WS is a week later this year. The WS is during November sweeps this year. CBS is scheduling re-runs for a few days before sweeps and against WS games that are guaranteed (game 1-4). Makes no sense to schedule a re-run, during November sweeps, against a WS game that might not be played or might not be watched. Yankees (or Boston) lose game one and win the next 3 games. Game 5 (and probably game 6) are likely to get poor ratings.

A cynical answer--A number of the CBS shows are hits. At least some of the shows on the other networks will be "burning" episodes of shows that have already been canceled.

FWIW--The Futon critic is only showing listings as "projected".

Last edited by lew : 09-18-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
marksman
ID-10-T

Yeah my guess is loading up for sweeps.

Often times before sweep months networks will dump reruns so they can load up new episodes for all of sweeps.

I am sure it just has to do with their current plan to ration episodes.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
WS is a week later this year.
I have to believe that CBS knows that. It cannot be a surprise to them.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I am sure it just has to do with their current plan to ration episodes.
That doesn't explain the specific timing of the reruns.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
lew

Quote:
Quote:
I have to believe that CBS knows that. It cannot be a surprise to them.
CBS knows it. That's why this year is different. Last year the re-runs were timed to be before the beginning of sweeps and against the WS. Why run new episodes against the WS when new episodes the following week (sweeps) count more?

This year re-runs are timed to be before the beginning of sweeps (2 days) and against the first 4 WS games.

You keep saying last year was timed to coincide with the WS. The WS was one factor but being the week before sweeps was the other factor.

edited to add some shows take more then a week to shoot. It's possible some of the shows need to take a week off prior to the end of November. NBC solved that problem with Leno.

Last edited by lew : 09-18-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
bicker
Gruff

I think you're missing the point -- seems like deliberately, so I'll let it drop.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
lew

Quote:
I think you're missing the point -- seems like deliberately, so I'll let it drop.
I was going to say the same thing. You focusing on only one factor, the WS.

Last year the WS was the week before sweeps. Re-runs. No brainer. Two reasons. New episodes during sweeps. Re-runs against the WS.

This year the WS is during sweeps. Re-runs are scheduled he last few days before sweeps and against guaranteed WS games. This year is reversed. The last Thursday of October is during sweeps. We're getting re-runs during sweeps and an extra new episode in the non-sweeps part of October.

What's more interesting is why other networks aren't doing the same thing.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
That doesn't explain the specific timing of the reruns.
I'm totally baffled by this thread. What is it that you don't understand about them showing reruns the last week of October? If you go back and look through the forum threads and archives, you'll see that there are threads on this every single year. It's standard practice for the networks to air about 4-5 new episodes in a row between the start of the season (late September) and late October. Then they almost always throw in a week of reruns before sweeps starts in November. Then they air another 3-4 new episodes during November, meaning that by the end of November, they've burned off 7-9 new episodes out of the 22 they have for the full season, yet they still have six more months and two more sweeps periods to fill. It should be no surprise to anyone that they throw in a week of reruns here and there, and especially not the week before sweeps.

BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with the World Series. The WS gets very moderate ratings on TV. In the past, it's coincided with the final week of October before sweeps, so it's made sense for the networks not to put new programs on during that week, but since they've move the WS back a week this year, I think you'll see most networks putting new programs up against the WS during sweeps.

Edit: November sweeps starts this year on Thursday, October 29 and runs through Wednesday, November 25. I'd be very surprised if the info in the OP about CSI and The Mentalist being reruns on October 29 is true.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm totally baffled by this thread. What is it that you don't understand about them showing reruns the last week of October? If you go back and look through the forum threads and archives, you'll see that there are threads on this every single year.
If you go back and look through the forum threads and archives, you'll see me posting some of the messages you're referring to.

Again: The point of this thread (as Lew pointed out) is that CBS is doing something and ABC, NBC and Fox are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It should be no surprise to anyone that they throw in a week of reruns here and there, and especially not the week before sweeps.
Pardon my ire, but "Duh!"

My inquiry is about something much more specific. If you don't care to dig more deeply about this than the superficial "there shalt be reruns", then please just skip the thread.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
If you go back and look through the forum threads and archives, you'll see me posting some of the messages you're referring to.

Again: The point of this thread (as Lew pointed out) is that CBS is doing something and ABC, NBC and Fox are not.

My inquiry is about something much more specific. If you don't care to dig more deeply about this than the superficial "there shalt be reruns", then please just skip the thread.
Dude, I read the whole thread and don't understand your point at all. I think you're placing way too much stock in what some website is claiming to be the projected schedules six weeks in advance. Wait and see what really happens, and I'll bet you'll find that most of the networks air reruns on Mon-Wed, Oct. 26-28, and then air new shows on Thurs, Oct 29.

And it really depends on what shows we're talking about, as well. For example, I'll bet NBC airs a new episode of The Biggest Loser on Tuesday, Oct. 27 because that's a reality show that airs straight through and has a different schedule and more episodes than most regular shows. Leno's show is supposed to have new episodes about 48 weeks a year, so he likely won't be in reruns either.

Similarly, Fox probably isn't running reruns that week because they will be trying to get new episodes in as much as possible between all the baseball games they're contractually obligated to show.

But for regular scripted shows on ABC, CBS and NBC, I'll be the vast majority of them air reruns between Thursday, October 22 and Wednesday, October 28.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 09-18-2009 at 05:31 PM.
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #21
smak
TV MA SLV

There's may be evidence that CBS is showing reruns, but what evidence is their that NBC & ABC aren't?

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #22
lew

I agree with pp, Bicker is giving too much credibility to a projected schedule.

I think suspect some of the shows, Dancing with the sortof Stars for example, attract female viewers and may get decent ratings against the WS.

CBS seems to have a lot more hit shows the other networks.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #23
bicker
Gruff

The point about it being a projected schedule is fair. However, in saying so, you're essentially asserting that you expect that (at least) ABC and NBC will follow CBS' (or vice versa) and the projections will end up not being valid.

Reality competition shows don't do reruns like scripted shows do. Even CBS is projected to be showing new episodes of Amazing Race and Survivor that week.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #24
brianric

Quote:
Reality competition shows don't do reruns like scripted shows do. Even CBS is projected to be showing new episodes of Amazing Race and Survivor that week.
I don't remember if TAR ever had a repeat on CBS. I believe Survivor repeated one show on CBS due to some sports program running over.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
lew

Bicker--Look at last year's ratings (top 20) Ten shows aren't scripted shows(football, 60 minutes and some "reality shows). 8 of the 10 scripted shows air on CBS.

The fact is CBS is the network that has scripted shows to save for sweeps and/or avoid airing against the WS.

Quote:

Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #26
Mikeyis4dcats

your name is apropos...
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #27
bicker
Gruff

As is yours.