TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
trackie999

Tivo HD 652 with 658 Software (Tivo HD XL)

so My upgraded Tivo HD's Hard Drive failed last week.
I bought a new 1TB hard drive and imaged over my buddy's HD XL's hard drive onto it.

So now I have a 652 model with ver 9.4 of 658 software installed.
I've been forcing it to connect to Tivo to get version 11 of software installed for the last 24 hours, but after 10-15x successful connections it still hasn't upgraded to version 11.

Is it ever going to upgrade to version 11 (so I can have my netflix back)?
Or it will never do it since it has the wrong version (658) installed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
trackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
bkdtv

The TivoHD XL software will not function correctly on a TivoHD. You can run guided setup, but the TivoHD won't connect later to download guide updates.

You need to use a TivoHD image on your 1TB drive, as per the instructions in the Drive Upgrade FAQ. If you don't have a TivoHD image, you can purchase DVRUpgrade's InstantCake restore CD.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
drey

What do you have for Service Number under Account Info on your TiVo? Do you have numbers or just all zeros?
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
trackie999

I ran a Clear & Delete everything and my Service Number showed up correctly.
I went through guided setup and the tivo picked up my guide data for next 14 days.
Since then I ran maybe 20 connect to Tivo service Now's and all of them succeeded. It never says waiting for restart

So I have a service number of 652-xxx showing with software version 9.4.zzz-658

...Also when the tivo reboots I get to watch the THX logo, instead of the usual Tivo guy sliding the slide movie...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackie999 View Post
I ran a Clear & Delete everything and my Service Number showed up correctly.
I went through guided setup and the tivo picked up my guide data for next 14 days.
Since then I ran maybe 20 connect to Tivo service Now's and all of them succeeded. It never says waiting for restart

So I have a service number of 652-xxx showing with software version 9.4.zzz-658
Don't expect to receive future guide data updates with the XL software.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
trackie999

bkdtv:

I thought this would work based on previous experience 5-6 years ago:
I had 2 directivo units. One was a silver Hughes brand and another that was philips brand.

They too had 2 different software versions. ie: different number after the dash at the end.
Again, I had a hard drive crash so I imaged one tivo's HD over to the other one.
When I booted up, the Hughes, it incorrectly said it was a "philips" unit then after a software update it magically corrected itself back to the correct brand.

Based on this, I assumed my 652 tivo would download new software version and correct itself... I'll give it a couple more days for now...

Last edited by trackie999 : 09-15-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: remembered that the unit was Hughes brand
Old 09-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackie999 View Post
bkdtv:

I thought this would work based on previous experience 5-6 years ago:
I had 2 directivo units. One was a silver tivo(?) brand and another that was philips brand.

They too had 2 different software versions. ie: different number after the dash at the end.
Again, I had a hard drive crash so I imaged one tivo's HD over to the other one.
When I booted up, the tivo incorrectly said it was a "philips" unit then after a software update it magically corrected itself back to the correct bramd.

Based on this, I assumed my 652 tivo would download new software version and correct itself... I'll give it a couple more days for now...
Give it all the time you want, as it will not work, it will never work correctly, you are wasting your time.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
merrickw

I think there's a TiVo kickstart code that would force a software download. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for it. Look on the weaknees site for the kickstart info.
merrickw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrickw View Post
I think there's a TiVo kickstart code that would force a software download. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for it. Look on the weaknees site for the kickstart info.
That only re installs the software that already stored on your TiVo, it does not go out to find new software.