Thinking seriously about switching to a V+ box again.
- virgin are adding more HD channels
- got an offer going this month that allows me to upgrade for £49 + if my reading of the offer is correct allows me to keep existing STB at no additional charge (can anyone clarify if this is true - i.e. no extra montly payment - or if the "no additional charge" means you don't pay for the VM engineer to pick up the STB, walk to another room and connect it up there!)
- V+ won't have the occasional channel change failures that TiVo does!
- allows existing STB (+ TiVo) to be moved to a different room to reduce arguments between children on what they want to watch!
- from what I see there's no ability to add a "keep at most" to a "seasons pass" ... also how does the series record work - I assume its per channel (i.e. if I record C4's "location^3" will it just record the C4 series or will it pick up more4 repeats ... also, can it cope with a channel showing a new series + repeats of previous series at same time?)
- no ability to add a "do not delete" to a recording (or recording request) ... is there any way to stop a program being automatically deleted as space fills up?
- disk space seems woefully inadequate as HD becomes more common (only 20 hours HD space vs 80 for SD)
- anyone know what the interface useability is ... we occasionally use the STB menus to access "catch up TV" (mainly when TiVo missed a channel change or due to a clash) and on that its appalling - about 10 sec response to each button press - assuming the STB recognised that you'd pressed a button. I'm assuming on V+ must be able to move around menus etc at similar speed to using TiVo?
- seen mention when googling that there's a software upgrade coming - anyone seen any indications whether this will have any new functionality
Any opinions ... assuming the deal really does include keeping existing STB for free then we'll still have a TiVo attached to that which may be useful.