TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #61
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
How do you figure that when TIVO knows ahead of time just like the rest of us?
How does TiVo know? Unless they have an employee living in that market, they really do not get notifications of channel lineup changes. Lineup changes that users report to TiVo are just forwarded to Tribune. Tivo does not have the ability to make lineup changes themselves.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #62
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
How does TiVo know? Unless they have an employee living in that market, they really do not get notifications of channel lineup changes. Lineup changes that users report to TiVo are just forwarded to Tribune. Tivo does not have the ability to make lineup changes themselves.
you guys can kid yourself in thinking that TIVO is not aware of channel lineup changes coming down the line, but i like to think, "it takes two to tango". Plus I think they have in house techs reading these Like that Jerry guy.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #63
franzey

Time Warner points the finger at Tivo, Tivo does the same to Time Warner. Seriously, I don't care who is at fault, I want my paid services to work correctly.
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #64
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
don't usually watch USA but I switched over to 1201 after your post and got the same pixelation you describe.
Just watched 1201 (USAHD) for about 15 minutes and saw no pixelation, Checked diagnostics, and RS uncorrected and corrected were both zero. So if it's in the system, it's south of Troy.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #65
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzey View Post
Time Warner points the finger at Tivo, Tivo does the same to Time Warner. Seriously, I don't care who is at fault, I want my paid services to work correctly.
Now your talking. I agree with you 100%
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #66
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Thanks,

If you wouldn't mind calling TWC 937.294.6400 and telling them this, it might let me cancel a truck roll. Surely they would realize it is a system problem then. You might mention you know someone in Englewood who has already complained of the same problem.

(But you might want to check some of your other channels first , just to be sure it is only USAHD for you too.)

If this is happening all over North Dayton, it amazes me they haven't already had a lot of calls. I don't see how it could be affecting only TiVo's. Or maybe they have 10 truck rolls already scheduled for this same problem and their system isn't smart enough to make the connection.
USAHD seeems to be working fine now. No more pixelation. I will keep an eye on it and if it gets bad again I will call.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #67
franzey

I encourage you to call Tivo to walk you through this (for those in the Dayton rebuild). He walked me through changing the lineup and everything seems to be working. I should have taken notes for a detailed step by step for people here, but honestly, I wasn't thinking it would work. It isn't a lot of steps, but I don't remember 100% and don't want to lead you down the wrong path. Call them, it took less than 10 minutes on the phone.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #68
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I encourage you to call Tivo to walk you through this (for those in the Dayton rebuild). He walked me through changing the lineup and everything seems to be working. I should have taken notes for a detailed step by step for people here, but honestly, I wasn't thinking it would work. It isn't a lot of steps, but I don't remember 100% and don't want to lead you down the wrong path. Call them, it took less than 10 minutes on the phone.
Did you select a lineup (or region, whatever it's called) with "Rebuild" in the name?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #69
franzey

Quote:
Did you select a lineup (or region, whatever it's called) with "Rebuild" in the name?
Yes, I believe so.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #70
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Just checked USAHD for a minute or so - looks OK now. I bet some non-TiVo subscribers called it in too. My theory: In preparation for the channel switch, they adjusted some encoding or QAM parameter on Monday, perhaps accidentally.

The pixelation had a different character than what I see in my normal occasional glitches -- hard to describe but smaller blocks and more widely spread over the frame.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 08-26-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #71
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
They should have known about this one -- I submitted a Guide Data error report at least two weeks before the switch and told them about the upcoming channel shuffle in the comments section.

They have to work with Tribune Media Services and the Cable Provider. The information has to flow from the Cable provider to Tribune Media Services. I suspect all TiVo can do is ask TMS about it.

and
Old 08-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #72
franzey

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been on "Preparing" in the Getting Program Info screen for almost an hour now. Does it take this long to prepare it? This is after selecting the Rebuild Enhanced lineup...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #73
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I believe we've had at least two posters on this thread advising not to use the "rebuild" lineups (because they are temporary -- they will stop being updated in a few days -- and you will have to start over with the original lineup name). The word was: Wait and all will take care of itself sooner or later.

Has a consensus developed here that we are not following that advice?

and
Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #74
franzey

A few days means manually programming dozens of recordings. Doing multiple guided setups takes less time than settings up 35 manual programs to record.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #75
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but I've been on "Preparing" in the Getting Program Info screen for almost an hour now. Does it take this long to prepare it? This is after selecting the Rebuild Enhanced lineup...
I've seen it take a few minutes "preparing" and always wonder what the heck it's doing.

An hour seems way out of line IMHO.

and
Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #76
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
A few days means manually programming dozens of recordings. Doing multiple guided setups takes less time than settings up 35 manual programs to record.
I see your point. I've forgotten how long a guided setup takes -- was assuming it might be a long time. And I don't currently have that many season passes, mostly because I'm still working with 160 GB. -- something I am planning to correct real soon now!

and
Old 08-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #77
lwarzy

I'm in Cinci proper and haven't seen any changes/mistakes in my lineup. I did contact TWC via chat, and they told me this:

Quote:
Me: I can still see the same programming on channel 127... it's still Current TV. I would assume that if my lineup was updated that ch 127 would be blank since there's nothing assigned to it anymore.
TWC: Yes, it is a known issue and we have intimated Tribune about this. They are making the changes. We expect them to have updated all the Tivo equipment by the weekend.
Me: So what you are saying is that i won't see any evidence of any changes - programming or guide - until this weekend, correct?
TWC: Yes, that is right. This because Tribune is still making these updates.
TWC: We have been in constant touch with them.
TWC: Some equipment was updated, but started resetting and losing connection.
TWC: so we had to tell them to start over again.
TWC: We do not want you to have a service that goes on and off constantly.
Me: Oh ok cool. I see. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something wrong since (a) I haven't seen any changes and (b) nothing has gone horribly wrong.
TWC: No, don't worry, this will be resolved by the weekend.
I'm still baffled because I did not expect to see zero changes whatsoever, and I would assume that Tribune just manages the guide, right? (I wish I had a better working knowledge of all of this...) Maybe someone can provide a bit more insight?

Here's hoping for a smooth transition this weekend I guess. (?)
lwarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #78
franzey

Quote:
I see your point. I've forgotten how long a guided setup takes -- was assuming it might be a long time. And I don't currently have that many season passes, mostly because I'm still working with 160 GB. -- something I am planning to correct real soon now!
I've got the original drive in it as well. I would definitely like to remedy that as well.

The guided setup wasn't the full blown (out of the box) setup. it was MUCH shorter.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #79
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarzy View Post
I'm in Cinci proper and haven't seen any changes/mistakes in my lineup. I did contact TWC via chat, and they told me this:

I'm still baffled because I did not expect to see zero changes whatsoever, and I would assume that Tribune just manages the guide, right? (I wish I had a better working knowledge of all of this...) Maybe someone can provide a bit more insight?

Are you saying all your channels are still on the same numbers? And the guide data is aligned with that?

This doesn't make any sense to me. It's as if they just postponed the channel shuffle in your local area for some reason. Were you notified of a new lineup starting 25 August?

AFAIK Tribune and TiVo manage the guide data.

I'm not sure whether this is "Outer Limits" or "The Twilight Zone".

and
Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #80
lwarzy

Quote:
Are you saying all your channels are still on the same numbers? And the guide data is aligned with that?

This doesn't make any sense to me. It's as if they just postponed the channel shuffle in your local area for some reason. Were you notified of a new lineup starting 25 August?

AFAIK Tribune and TiVo manage the guide data.

I'm not sure whether this is "Outer Limits" or "The Twilight Zone".
Yeah, exactly. I was notified about the changes, so I was expecting some sort of chaos to ensue... but nothing has happened... hence the reason I started asking questions. The channels & guides are still aligned the same way they've always been, even after a guided setup. Twilight Zone indeed...
lwarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #81
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
As creator of this thread I give you FULL permission to hijack... The fact that I am now experiencing the same problem is coincidental!

Any update on this????? Now I am stuck on "Preparing" as well!!! It's been about 15 minutes at this stage.

If it finally got through, how long did it take to move to the next step? To go through the whole process??

And most importantly, if it went through everything, are the channels now correct?????

Patiently awaiting your reply.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #82
franzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
As creator of this thread I give you FULL permission to hijack... The fact that I am now experiencing the same problem is coincidental!

Any update on this????? Now I am stuck on "Preparing" as well!!! It's been about 15 minutes at this stage.

If it finally got through, how long did it take to move to the next step? To go through the whole process??

And most importantly, if it went through everything, are the channels now correct?????

Patiently awaiting your reply.
Did you update your lineup? I let it go for like 45 minutes or so and then I unplugged it and started it back up. It went through the guided setup again and I had to choose the rebuild lineup again. This time it did seem to hang on the preparing for a long time but did move forward after 10-15 minutes (after the reboot). Now my channels and guide are looking good.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #83
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Did you update your lineup? I let it go for like 45 minutes or so and then I unplugged it and started it back up. It went through the guided setup again and I had to choose the rebuild lineup again. This time it did seem to hang on the preparing for a long time but did move forward after 10-15 minutes (after the reboot). Now my channels and guide are looking good.
Great... ;(

I can't believe after all of this time we still have to go through all this crap just to get the correct channel lineup.

I guess I'll watch some DVDs tonight!

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #84
henderpa

Mine took about 20 minutes on the "Preparing" step and another 35 minutes to process the data. Thankfully, afterward the channels are all setup correctly! Woohoo!

By the way, I didn't see any "rebuild" lineups in my list, just the normal ones. I selected the "City of Dayton" however if I go into the System Information screen it shows that my lineup is "Digital Rebuild"
henderpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #85
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
It just keeps getting WORSE! At ~45 minutes I went ahead and did a reboot like you and started going through the Guided Setup.

However, unlike you, my Tivo froze up again after the initial connection to the Tivo service. So I am rebooting AGAIN... This sucks... Why do I have the horrible feeling that I am going to end up with a brick at the end of the night???

Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #86
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Finally up and running! It's 1am... I had to re-do all of my season passes as they were based on the old lineup. There was no intelligent mapping going on. Didn't want to risk it. Then had to go through and prune out all the channels I didn't get or want to see. Many duplicate channels under the new system.

DLFL: USA HD 1201 looks just fine for me. Some old James Bond flick from 1967! No glitches at all...

Old 08-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #87
bobrt6676

Day 2 still no updated channel guide. Since I only have a few recordings in the summer I am going to wait it out. Redoing Guided setup seems to be quite a hassle for those who have gone that route.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #88
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarzy View Post

Reboot your tuning adapter, and you'll get the new lineup. Mine stayed with the old for an extra day until I did that. I assume it would have indefinitely until I rebooted the TA. Of course, you could wait for Tivo to have the correct guide data and then reboot it.
realityboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #89
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
Finally up and running! It's 1am... I had to re-do all of my season passes as they were based on the old lineup. There was no intelligent mapping going on. Didn't want to risk it. Then had to go through and prune out all the channels I didn't get or want to see. Many duplicate channels under the new system.

DLFL: USA HD 1201 looks just fine for me. Some old James Bond flick from 1967! No glitches at all...
No need to redo season passes. I have 113, and all are still working fine. It doesn't matter what number the season pass says. All that matters is that the channel name is the same. I still have some season passes set up for off-air channels from before Time Warner offered them in HD, and they work as well. Just look at View Upcoming Showings, and you can see that things will be recorded.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #90
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Day 2 still no updated channel guide. Since I only have a few recordings in the summer I am going to wait it out. Redoing Guided setup seems to be quite a hassle for those who have gone that route.
It still takes a bit, but you don't have to redo guided setup. Just change your channel lineup.