TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #31
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Does guided setup do anything that a connect plus manual channel selection combined don't do?
Guided setup will let you choose from a list of available lineups. However, you shouldn't need to change lineups. If you choose one of the rebuild lineups, be prepared for your guide data to stop updating at any time. In general, the best thing you can do is wait and it will fix itself.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #32
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Anyone home from work yet??? Let us know if your guide had been updated! thanks, D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #33
franzey

Time Warner Digital North Dayton here and still showing incorrect lineups. I rebooted the Tivos and forced a connection on both. No luck. Had to set up all my recordings as manual recordings for tonight. Hopefully this is fixed tomorrow. Why can the services that provide the guide plan proactively for these huge changes?
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #34
dlfl
Cranky old novice

franzey, I invite you and any others who have not contributed to my "What is good digital viewing" thread to post there. I'm particularly interested in your input since you are also North Dayton like me. I'm in Englewood -- where are you, if you don't mind saying?

Please read my first post in that thread to see what I'm getting at.

Thanks

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #35
franzey

I am in Huber Heights. Not far from you at all.
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #36
samsauce29

This happened a few months ago in the Northeast Ohio division (Erie, PA for me). I called TiVo the first time and it took about a week to get the guide updated. There have been a couple times since then that they've added 5 or so HD channels to the lineup. Those changes have been pretty smooth (updated guide within about 3 days each time) with no calls to TiVo or Time Warner.
samsauce29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #37
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsauce29 View Post
This happened a few months ago in the Northeast Ohio division (Erie, PA for me). I called TiVo the first time and it took about a week to get the guide updated. There have been a couple times since then that they've added 5 or so HD channels to the lineup. Those changes have been pretty smooth (updated guide within about 3 days each time) with no calls to TiVo or Time Warner.
Aaargghh! 3 to 5 days? dolfer, we might as well cool our heels and think of other things!

and
Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #38
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

I just don't understand why this happens... They have known about this MASSIVE change for months. Why can't they get their $#^% together????????????

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #39
bobrt6676

Angry TWC Dayton Line-up changes

Aarrgh! day 2 no updated Channel Guide. Another day of manually setting recordings. What a pain. Come on Tivo get your act together!!
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #40
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
Aarrgh! day 2 no updated Channel Guide. Another day of manually setting recordings. What a pain. Come on Tivo get your act together!!
I am not claiming to be an expert here... But I think it's Time Warner's fault for not proactively submitting these changes to the proper services. Not Tivo's...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #41
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
I am not claiming to be an expert here... But I think it's Time Warner's fault for not proactively submitting these changes to the proper services. Not Tivo's...
Ultimately, sure. BUT, Tivo has known about the change and should have been Pro-active to make sure THEIR customers are not inconvenienced by the change. I guess that is to much to ask!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #42
samsauce29

Quote:
Ultimately, sure. BUT, Tivo has known about the change and should have been Pro-active to make sure THEIR customers are not inconvenienced by the change. I guess that is to much to ask!
I'm with you guys. I think there's a bit of cat-and-mouse on both sides but I think Time Warner waits until the last possible minute to submit the change to the guide people.

Good news is... once everything is up and working, it's been pretty solid up here in NE Ohio/NW PA. We've had several electrical power outages this summer and the TiVo/Tuning Adapter/CableCard combo has rebooted and recovered quite nicely.
samsauce29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #43
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

I believe it was the great Howard Jones who once said, "No one, no one, no one ever is to blame..."

Glad to hear that the TiVo/Tuning Adapter/CableCard stack has been solid for you in the face of power outtages! I have always worried about that. The more things you have, the more things can go wrong.

I do have a decent UPS but it wouldn't go much longer than 30 minutes. I definitely recommend that you get one. It could greatly extend your Tivo's life.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #44
rainwater

Quote:
How would TiVo know about the change? TW does not work with TiVo to send them channel change notices.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #45
cartouchbea

I forced 5 or 6 connections, rebooted my TiVo and TA with no luck.

After re-running guided setup, everything worked. That took about an hour and a half. However, all my season passes reflect the new channel lineups.

cartouchbea
cartouchbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #46
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartouchbea View Post
I forced 5 or 6 connections, rebooted my TiVo and TA with no luck.

After re-running guided setup, everything worked. That took about an hour and a half. However, all my season passes reflect the new channel lineups.

cartouchbea
Did you use the rebuild lineup? Be prepared for it to disappear soon and guide data will go away. Otherwise, it is possible you ran guided setup right when the guide data updated to the new changes.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #47
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Anyone else seeing major pixelation problems on USAHD (1201 for me) recently? I mean breakups every few seconds, with occasional periods of no problems for 30 seconds or so.

I just noticed it Monday, the day before the channel shuffle. It may have started a few days before that but I know it wasn't there a week before that. I've checked all other HD channels and they don't have the problem. The error counts are all zeros.

Talked to TWC and tried to get the CSR to just pass the info on to the technical people (i.e., it's only that channel and just started, so it can't be a problem at my end). But "they can't do that" so I've got a truck roll scheduled for Friday afternoon.

and
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #48
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Anyone else seeing major pixelation problems on USAHD (1201 for me) recently? I mean breakups every few seconds, with occasional periods of no problems for 30 seconds or so.

I just noticed it Monday, the day before the channel shuffle. It may have started a few days before that but I know it wasn't there a week before that. I've checked all other HD channels and they don't have the problem. The error counts are all zeros.

Talked to TWC and tried to get the CSR to just pass the info on to the technical people (i.e., it's only that channel and just started, so it can't be a problem at my end). But "they can't do that" so I've got a truck roll scheduled for Friday afternoon.
Interesting question & point... Wonder if this channel change is more than cosmetic? Wonder what's going on under the hood in terms of SDV, compression used on certain channels, and all that kind of crap?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #49
bobrt6676

Quote:

don't usually watch USA but I switched over to 1201 after your post and got the same pixelation you describe.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #50
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
don't usually watch USA but I switched over to 1201 after your post and got the same pixelation you describe.
Thanks,

If you wouldn't mind calling TWC 937.294.6400 and telling them this, it might let me cancel a truck roll. Surely they would realize it is a system problem then. You might mention you know someone in Englewood who has already complained of the same problem.

(But you might want to check some of your other channels first , just to be sure it is only USAHD for you too.)

If this is happening all over North Dayton, it amazes me they haven't already had a lot of calls. I don't see how it could be affecting only TiVo's. Or maybe they have 10 truck rolls already scheduled for this same problem and their system isn't smart enough to make the connection.

and
Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #51
realityboy

Quote:
Thanks,

If you wouldn't mind calling TWC 937.294.6400 and telling them this, it might let me cancel a truck roll. Surely they would realize it is a system problem then. You might mention you know someone in Englewood who has already complained of the same problem.

(But you might want to check some of your other channels first , just to be sure it is only USAHD for you too.)

If this is happening all over North Dayton, it amazes me they haven't already had a lot of calls. I don't see how it could be affecting only TiVo's. Or maybe they have 10 truck rolls already scheduled for this same problem and their system isn't smart enough to make the connection.
I noticed this Monday, too, and I live a little south of town in Moraine so it might be a problem for all of Dayton. (or at least those with cablecards)
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #52
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
I noticed this Monday, too, and I live a little south of town in Moraine so it might be a problem for all of Dayton. (or at least those with cablecards)
Please call it in guys! If they get enough calls, maybe they will fix the system and I can cancel my truck roll!

How would cable cards enter the picture? Does each channel have a different encryption key or algorithm? Thus the theory would be they have changed the encryption just for USAHD and haven't pushed it to our cards(?). And wouldn't this just cause you not to get the channel at all, or get it completely garbled instead of just pixelated frequently?
(Just curious -- all I care is they get it fixed!)

and
Old 08-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #53
realityboy

I can't think of a logical reason that it would have anything to do with the cablecards other than the fact that they would have received more complaints if it was everybody.

If it is still there once I get the channel lineup correct, I will call. I wanted to make sure that everything went well with that so that I wouldn't have to complain more than once.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #54
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

I am at work and I'm not really sure what she means but... I follow someone at Tivo and mentioned this issue to her. See tweet below...

Quote:
tivodesign @dolfer Did you try my suggestion of pressing ENTER on the Channel List in Settings? The new lineup should be there (we can see it).
What exactly does she mean? Rerun guided set up with the rebuild??? From what some of you have said, that's not a good idea right? Since rebuild is temporary.

Unfortunately I am not in tune enough to know what "pressing ENTER on the Channel List in Settings" does exactly without being in front of my Tivo!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #55
realityboy

Quote:
I am at work and I'm not really sure what she means but... I follow someone at Tivo and mentioned this issue to her. See tweet below...

What exactly does she mean? Rerun guided set up with the rebuild??? From what some of you have said, that's not a good idea right? Since rebuild is temporary.

Unfortunately I am not in tune enough to know what "pressing ENTER on the Channel List in Settings" does exactly without being in front of my Tivo!
If you press enter on the Channel list screen under settings, it lets you change your channel lineup. We shouldn't need to do this since the new lineup should replace the current lineup, but it might be good for a temporary fix.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #56
Grumock

Quote:
How do you figure that when TIVO knows ahead of time just like the rest of us?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #57
realityboy

Quote:
If you press enter on the Channel list screen under settings, it lets you change your channel lineup. We shouldn't need to do this since the new lineup should replace the current lineup, but it might be good for a temporary fix.
I did this. It let's you change the channel lineup without redoing guided setup although mine still took awhile. I guess that I'm using the 'rebuild' lineup, but I'm not really sure. It just asked me what a few channels were. 2 & 26 here. 2 since it changed to WDTN from QVC, and I think it always asked me about channel 26 for some reason even though it has always been ESPN here.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #58
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
How do you figure that when TIVO knows ahead of time just like the rest of us?
Common sense... TWC are the ones ultimately responsible for submitting these changes to the proper data services. The data services are then used by companies like Tivo that depend on that data.

Is it possible that Tivo just hasn't retrieved that data yet? Yes... As I said, I am not an expert. Just speculating.

Regardless of fault, I just wish that both parties can coordinate better in the future for BIG changes like these.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #59
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I can't think of a logical reason that it would have anything to do with the cablecards other than the fact that they would have received more complaints if it was everybody.

If it is still there once I get the channel lineup correct, I will call. I wanted to make sure that everything went well with that so that I wouldn't have to complain more than once.
I wouldn't want to nag you (but that's what I'm doing ). I think the guide data issue is completely separate from the USAHD issue -- i.e., you don't risk much by going ahead with the USAHD complaint. I can't imagine that anything related to the guide data update is going to impact the USAHD problem -- after all it was there before they even did the channel switch, when it was a 700 series channel.

I happened to spot a TWC truck near my house today and asked the driver if he knew anything about problems with USAHD. He said "No". He agreed with the logic that if it's just one channel and just started this week, the problem couldn't be at my end. I told him I knew two OP who had exactly the same problem and asked if in this case TWC would still roll trucks to each location. He didn't think so. Then he asked what kind of STB I had and I told him TiVo, and that the two OP were also TiVo's. "OOOOH......" he said and I could see the wheels of suspicion turning in his mind. He still had to agree with the logic about the problem not being at the customer end, however. As we parted I told him I might be seeing him again Friday afternoon!

Unfortunately, it is still possible this is something that just affects TiVo's for some arcane technical reason. That will be fun won't it?

and
Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #60
realityboy

Quote:
I wouldn't want to nag you (but that's what I'm doing ). I think the guide data issue is completely separate from the USAHD issue -- i.e., you don't risk much by going ahead with the USAHD complaint. I can't imagine that anything related to the guide data update is going to impact the USAHD problem -- after all it was there before they even did the channel switch, when it was a 700 series channel.

I happened to spot a TWC truck near my house today and asked the driver if he knew anything about problems with USAHD. He said "No". He agreed with the logic that if it's just one channel and just started this week, the problem couldn't be at my end. I told him I knew two OP who had exactly the same problem and asked if in this case TWC would still roll trucks to each location. He didn't think so. Then he asked what kind of STB I had and I told him TiVo, and that the two OP were also TiVo's. "OOOOH......" he said and I could see the wheels of suspicion turning in his mind. He still had to agree with the logic about the problem not being at the customer end, however. As we parted I told him I might be seeing him again Friday afternoon!

Unfortunately, it is still possible this is something that just affects TiVo's for some arcane technical reason. That will be fun won't it?
I know it's a separate issue, but I want to make sure everything works after the changeover before I complain. I like to get all my complaining done at once. It's been about a year or so since I had a truck roll so it's about time for something to be wrong.