TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Brendon

transfer between 2 series 3 tivo

Just got a 2nd series 3 tivo for the bedroom and was hoping to avoid getting more cable cards since i rarely watch live tv and hoped to just let the tivo in the bedroom sync everything off the other tivo (2 cable cards).
But i'm noticing i have to click to transfer each show and over wifi this is really slow. Is there a quick way to transfer a lot of stuff between the two tivos? Is it better to go wired instead of wireless?

Also comcast charges a few bucks for a cable card but will charge $7-9 for hd for each card, is this the case for most people?
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
erikg

Hello,

I would always recommend a wired connection over a wireless. I will put holes in walls and cables along the baseboards my wife hates me for this but I rarely see transfer issues. In most cases I can transfer an HD program and have it finished transferring before I am even halfway through the show.

I'm a comcast customer and for us its a per card charge and theres no additional charge for HD. May want to try their chat online to double check but that seems a bit odd that they would charge you for the cable card and HD service per device. I believe we have the Digital Classic with no premiums for about 125 a month with phone and internet after taxes. I believe that is for 4 total cards as well.

Found a link for you:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2651

Good luck.
erikg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
Just got a 2nd series 3 tivo for the bedroom and was hoping to avoid getting more cable cards since i rarely watch live tv and hoped to just let the tivo in the bedroom sync everything off the other tivo (2 cable cards).
But i'm noticing i have to click to transfer each show and over wifi this is really slow. Is there a quick way to transfer a lot of stuff between the two tivos? Is it better to go wired instead of wireless?

Also comcast charges a few bucks for a cable card but will charge $7-9 for hd for each card, is this the case for most people?
What about not using a tivo at all and just getting a component/audio cable amplifier/repeater and a seriously long run of cable and feeding the bedroom TV directly from the series 3 in the other room? Then just buy another remote and a IR transmitter to send the remote signals to the box.

No transfer delay at all, and when you pause something in the living room it picks up instantly right where you left off, etc.

I had that in my old apartment and it was perfect.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Ereth

Comcast charges an HD fee IF you do not subscribe to a package that includes it. So if you are getting locals-only, their minimal package, then there's an HD Converter fee. This includes the first cable card, the second is $1.50.

If you upgrade to a package that includes HD, then that converter fee goes away. I didn't realize this myself until talking to them (again!) recently, and realizing that the upgrade wouldn't be quite as expensive as I'd thought since that $15 fee would go away.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Brendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Comcast charges an HD fee IF you do not subscribe to a package that includes it. So if you are getting locals-only, their minimal package, then there's an HD Converter fee. This includes the first cable card, the second is $1.50.

If you upgrade to a package that includes HD, then that converter fee goes away. I didn't realize this myself until talking to them (again!) recently, and realizing that the upgrade wouldn't be quite as expensive as I'd thought since that $15 fee would go away.
you sir i owe you a beer, if you're in the south florida area i'll buy you a beer I didn't know about the hd package and by the looks of it i'm going to save money and get a lot more service.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
you sir i owe you a beer, if you're in the south florida area i'll buy you a beer I didn't know about the hd package and by the looks of it i'm going to save money and get a lot more service.
Sorry, North Florida, but I appreciate the thought.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Brendon

i just called comcast last night asking about upgrading to an hd package, and both calls the rep said each card will be $1.70 plus $6.95 for hd per card. I explained what the web site said but they said that was their policy. Is there something i'm not asking?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Ereth

In spite of the wording telling you that the first card is FREE they insist on charging you for it?

I wonder if they are still charging an "extra outlet" fee in your area? They gave that up here in Jacksonville many years ago.

Are you sure you were getting one of the packages where HD is included by default?