TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
bremmma

Series 3 reboots randomly, then hangs on Welcome screen

I've got a TiVo series 3, upgraded with an 750gb external drive added via eSATA (enclosure is Antec MX-1, drive is Seagate but I forget which model number- supposedly it's rated for 24/7 use). The setup has worked fine since I did the original kickstart 2 years ago.

Recently, randomly (both watching live or recorded TV), TiVo will reboot itself, then hang on the Welcome, Powering Up screen. If I pull the cord, the next reboot is always successful, but it seems to be rebooting again every couple hours. I suspect it's a hard drive issue. A few questions:

1) Any way to confirm this is a hard drive issue and not something else?

2) Can I extract anything shows from the external drive if I need to divorce them for troubleshooting purposes? How would I do this?

3) I'm assuming once I divorce them I'll lose everything recorded. Is there anything else I should try before I pull the external and divorce the drives?

I appreciate any information anyone can provide, answering these questions or with any other general help.

Thanks!
bremmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
alyssa

So you have an S3 with the original drive(unmodified) & a kickstart married eSATA?

1)I don't know about confirming it's a hd issue.
2)I'm not sure if you can use mfswin to copy the eSATA drive. But I think it's possible.
3)yes, once you divorce you'll loose most everything.

Assuming, the first sentence of my post is correct then you can transfer your recordings to a new 1.5TB drive. You might have to use mfslive tho.
Check out the sticky started by bkdtv here
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
MichaelJHuman

I have had to disconnect my external HD, reboot, get it to the point where it complains about the missing drive, power down, reconnect the drive, and reboot.

But once I do that, it's fine for a long time. I think the drive connectoris not solid or something, I don't know. But in my case, the problem seems temporary.
MichaelJHuman is offline   Reply With Quote