TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
morac
Cat God

Comcast now has online DVR management - why can't TiVo do this?

Comcast now has online DVR scheduling and management. It doesn't look like it's for the Comcast TiVo service though.

The thing that caught my eye is the ability to modify existing recording and series recordings (their version of season passes) by just selecting the recording on the web site and changing it. It can also order the series recordings online. Finally, the user can specify the default DVR to record on.

It would be nice if TiVo could add this functionality, especially the online "season pass" management and recording modification. TiVo already has the To Do list online so the information is there, they would just need to integrate it with their scheduling code.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
bkdtv

Moxi added this capability last spring. DirecTV and Dish Network both plan to add this capability in the near future. Before long, TiVo may be the only one without it...why?

TiVo pioneered remote scheduling on a DVR. Had you told me three years ago that TiVo would lag behind 80% of all DVRs in remote scheduling, I'd not have believed it. But that's the direction we're headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It would be nice if TiVo could add this functionality, especially the online "season pass" management and recording modification. TiVo already has the To Do list online so the information is there, they would just need to integrate it with their scheduling code.
I would also like to see the ability to edit the channel list / favorites online. That's another feature Moxi added last spring.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Moxi added this capability last spring. DirecTV and Dish Network both plan to add this capability in the near future. Before long, TiVo may be the only one without it...why?

TiVo pioneered remote scheduling on a DVR. Had you told me three years ago that TiVo would lag behind 80% of all DVRs in remote scheduling, I'd not have believed it. But that's the direction we're headed.

I would also like to see the ability to edit the channel list / favorites online. That's another feature Moxi added last spring.
and don't get me started on iphone/blackberry mobile scheduling, I'm stunned at how damn difficult it is with Tivo. It's great if it's a single show that you know the name of that's on once, but heaven forbid you know the time and channel, there's no way to do it.

My example? Saturday NASCAR races, if I decide at the last minute to record via iphone, I know it's ESPN or ESPN2 at this point in the season, but keyword "NASCAR" doesn't find it, and I can't search by time and channel (bangs head on desk) they so much need a mobile app that works.

Diane
Old 08-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
moyekj

If Tivo does add something along these lines they should also allow removing and re-ordering season passes as well as removing shows from NPL.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
and don't get me started on iphone/blackberry mobile scheduling, I'm stunned at how damn difficult it is with Tivo....
Go to iPhone, open Safari. Go to url: tv.yahoo.com.
Click on the TV Listings button.
This way you can easily browse the TV guide chart by time, date, and channel.
Click on Nascar.
Click on "Record to TiVo" button. Then click on the "Record this episode" button.
Voila!

However, you shouldn't have to do all this through yahoo. There should be a TiVo app by now.
jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
donnoh

I'd give my left nut (not really) for coordinated recording. Too many times I ask for a program to record and both tuners are busy. Why can't Tivo poll my other Tivo and see what is has to do at the same time?

I have spent a lot of time managing SP's putting network SP's ahead of cable SP's because of cable's ability to replay a show instead of showing infomercials.

If Tivo could just ask me if I'd like to record a show on my other Tivo instead of me having to look for another showing it would be nirvana.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I definitely agree. You have to wonder what Tivo is thinking sometimes or if they are thinking at all. The sad thing is these are the types of things that would sell Tivos imho.

Don't get me wrong I like being able to record HD but if things like remote management of season pass manager and cooperative scheduling had been introduced I would have come back sooner. On top of it I would have a reason to tell my family and friends to make the switch back from Directivo since as of right now they don't have a reason since they don't need to record HD, have Netflix accounts, care about streaming content, or any of the extra features Tivo currently offers. They just want something to record tv and record as many of the shows they want as possible without having to babysit it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
nrc
Cracker Soul

I agree that it's kind of surprising that TiVo has lagged so much in this area. Interestingly it seems like privacy may be part of the reason. Are any of these other places requiring a special opt-in just to get the scheduling information to their servers?

It seems like TiVo has been much more under the microscope for privacy concerns than these other companies and it's been a bit of an albatross for progress in some cases.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
innocentfreak

Yeah I have always heard privacy was the reason behind this. This could easily be solved by allowing users to opt-in and personally I would have no problems. Then again I would rather TV networks know what I watch and don't watch.

My whole thing though is Tivo Desktop should be a work around for the privacy issue and it is surprising they haven't done something where you can even just manage them on your local machine through Tivo Desktop. Tivo Desktop should really add features like season pass management, cooperative scheduling, better conflict management, and scheduling recordings.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Hopefully, the recent online scheduling website that Tivo activated is just the first step.
They had to get the base operation going with people using it to work out the major bugs.
Once things are going smoothly, they can add functionality.
One can only hope.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hey folks,

Please check out http://m.tivo.com/ from your mobile phone -- it was very easy for me to search for Nascar, hit View Upcoming and then hit Next to see Saturday's races (it was on page 2 for me -- lot of Nascar tomorrow).

Also, if you have an iPhone, please check out i.TV -- http://www.i.tv/about/ -- it's similarly very easy to schedule Nascar recordings.

Finally, just wanted to make sure folks are aware that Series3/TiVo HD owners can view their To Do list and Season Passes from http://www.tivo.com/tco

Best regards,
Stephen

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Finally, just wanted to make sure folks are aware that Series3/TiVo HD owners can view their To Do list and Season Passes from http://www.tivo.com/tco
Thanks for chiming in. I actually mentioned that in the original post, though it was kind of hidden in the second paragraph.

Also technically you can't see your SP online, just the To Do list and Now Playing list.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Also technically you can't see your SP online, just the To Do list and Now Playing list.
I didn't think you could and kept looking for them though. I must admit I do use the new site for setting recordings, but wish they had options like setting all Tivos or select Tivos at the same time. I usually put the same season passes on both Tivos just in different order and it would be nice if you could select all Tivos as an option instead of just specific ones.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalnin View Post
Go to iPhone, open Safari. Go to url: tv.yahoo.com.
Click on the TV Listings button.
This way you can easily browse the TV guide chart by time, date, and channel.
Click on Nascar.
Click on "Record to TiVo" button. Then click on the "Record this episode" button.
Voila!

However, you shouldn't have to do all this through yahoo. There should be a TiVo app by now.
Quote:
Hey folks,

Please check out http://m.tivo.com/ from your mobile phone -- it was very easy for me to search for Nascar, hit View Upcoming and then hit Next to see Saturday's races (it was on page 2 for me -- lot of Nascar tomorrow).

Also, if you have an iPhone, please check out i.TV -- http://www.i.tv/about/ -- it's similarly very easy to schedule Nascar recordings.
Good tips both!
However I will say that at least twice in the past 6 months on a Saturday morning on the road, I've looked for the afternoon Nationwide race and used the keyword "NASCAR" with m.tivo.com and gotten the countdown show, the NASCAR NOW reshowings, old races on ESPN Classics, but not that day's race, very frustrating. It's always a last minute thing, and I know the right keyword doesn't find the actual race. (happened August 1st in fact)

I will look into the Yahoo! approach however.

Diane
Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
MitchW

ATT Uverse also has online DVR management

ATT Uverse also offers online DVR management of recordings, searches and series details.
MitchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
magnus
Tivo User

I would really like to see the equivalent of TWP for SA Tivos. Something that Tivo would build into the OS... now that would be cool.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Good tips both!
However I will say that at least twice in the past 6 months on a Saturday morning on the road, I've looked for the afternoon Nationwide race and used the keyword "NASCAR" with m.tivo.com and gotten the countdown show, the NASCAR NOW reshowings, old races on ESPN Classics, but not that day's race, very frustrating. It's always a last minute thing, and I know the right keyword doesn't find the actual race. (happened August 1st in fact)

I will look into the Yahoo! approach however.

Diane
NASCAR Wishlist settings:

Keyword: (Sprint Cup) (Nationwide) (Camping World Truck) -practice -qualifying
Title Keyword: NASCAR Racing
Category: HD
Wishlist Name: NASCAR

Recording options:
Show Type: First-run Only
Stop Recording: 1 hour longer

Back to the topic at hand. Simply put, the Tivo web site should allow us to do everything that we can do in front of the Tivo with the Tivo remote.

Plus, the Tivo website should back up our season passes, Wishlists and other configuration parameters and allow us to push them back down to the same or another Tivo.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Plus, the Tivo website should back up our season passes, Wishlists and other configuration parameters and allow us to push them back down to the same or another Tivo.
Or share SPs & WLs with friends!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #19
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Tivos' SPs are being backed up. If you change the drive in your Tivo, they will come back.

IIRC, it was a result of the new features that Tivo added a few years ago (KidZone?). It was more of an undocumented feature as it only applied if you changed the HDD in your Tivo.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #20
bmgoodman

Quote:

Best regards,
Stephen
That's a cool feature. Except that both my HD Tivos show NOTHING in the To Do List and both have Now Playing from July. But hey, sometimes I want to know what items USED TO BE on my Tivo a few weeks ago.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
Someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Tivos' SPs are being backed up. If you change the drive in your Tivo, they will come back.

IIRC, it was a result of the new features that Tivo added a few years ago (KidZone?). It was more of an undocumented feature as it only applied if you changed the HDD in your Tivo.
SPs can be back up as referenced in the following thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?t=303886#6. I'd expect more control and flexibility from a Tivo website app.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
That's a cool feature. Except that both my HD Tivos show NOTHING in the To Do List and both have Now Playing from July. But hey, sometimes I want to know what items USED TO BE on my Tivo a few weeks ago.
A reboot should fix that. The TiVo folks who frequent these boards have suggested that in the past....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #23
jfalkingham

It's available for TiVo on Comcast as well

This feature is open to TiVo users on Comcast's equipment also:

http://www.comcast.net/tivo

Just login and activate it. Works great and I can manage season passes, etc.
1 Roamio pro
Comcast service
jfalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #24
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfalkingham View Post
This feature is open to TiVo users on Comcast's equipment also:

http://www.comcast.net/tivo

Just login and activate it. Works great and I can manage season passes, etc.
Now that's great functionality. Just throw in the ability to add/modify wishlists, a channel list/favorites editor, a custom RSS feed page with series options...
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

If they can do all that for Comcast TiVos then I'm guessing it's something they will eventually offer for standalone TiVos. Probably just easier to try out on the Comcast side since they have a much smaller install base.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #26
Ladd Morse

Quote:
That's a very nice feature. And if you could also delete shows from the "to do" list and the "now playing" list, it would be even better.

I just got back from three weeks of vacation and there were numerous times I wished I could have deleted programs scheduled to be recorded and programs that had already recorded, to ensure there would be room on the hard drive for programs I really wanted to ensure would be there when I returned.