TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #241
Dssturbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
6/6 episode: Big Hoss showed a 1st edition of a Hemingway book that RicK bought for $500 to a customer in a white polo shirt.

The Hoss did'nt recognize the guy for who he was but his dad immediately did.

Rick sold the book for a tidy profit.

It was George Stephanopolous and Rick' profit was $175
This was just another reality show setup.......... George S was sent there to do a segment for GMA which aired a couple weeks ago, he didn't just walk into the pawn shop as a customer as they pretended.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #242
DanB

along those lines... ever notice on "Hardcore Pawn" that the customers that cause problems and get thrown out are wearing microphone packs?
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #243
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
along those lines... ever notice on "Hardcore Pawn" that the customers that cause problems and get thrown out are wearing microphone packs?
Well, to be fair, EVERYTHING on truTV is fake, which is pretty ridiculous, since their whole premise is that it's real!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #244
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1 View Post
This was just another reality show setup.......... George S was sent there to do a segment for GMA which aired a couple weeks ago, he didn't just walk into the pawn shop as a customer as they pretended.
I put this segment in the same category as their other "end of the show" segments, where it clearly is not real, and is just meant to add some humor.

I'll take that over a 5 minute discussion on the deliciousness of a Subway breakfast.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #245
ewolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Well, to be fair, EVERYTHING on truTV is fake, which is pretty ridiculous, since their whole premise is that it's real!
I dont know about that. Even the head honchos admit that its not even real.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7324048.story

Quote:
But network executives downplay the criticism, explaining that viewers know exactly what they're getting. The station's tag line is "Not Reality. Actuality" and disclaimers at the start of most series state that episodes are "based on real events."

"Notice we don't say it's reality," said Steve Koonin, Turner's entertainment chief. "We call it actuality. This is our version of reality."

ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #246
dbranco

Has anyone noticed that Chumlee's hair is different lengths in the segment when he goes "off-site" to look at something? When he's at the place with the "rocky horse" ride, his hair looks cut like a pageboy (although he's wearing a hat, so it's a little hard to tell). At another offsite (when they were shooting the cane/rifle, his hair is cut quite short. Looks good on him! Then, whenever they have shots back at the store, it's the greasy, straggly hair we're used to. These different hair lengths messmess with continuity.

Last edited by dbranco : 07-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #247
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Does anyone believe that Chumlee really bought that mandolin for $1,500?
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #248
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Not anymore than Cory traded one of those posters for free framing, or that the guy wanted the poster so bad he'd frame the others for free.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #249
Donbadabon
Geocacher

These fake scenarios are really starting to make me dislike these shows.
I LOVED them when they started, but now. Ugh.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #250
WhiskeyTango

These guys aren't good enough at acting to pull off the fake bits and it's painfully obvious.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #251
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7 View Post
Yeah, he kinda faked yelled for Cory or Rick around the corner.. "sorry, nobody's here". Yeah, right they aren't.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #252
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
These fake scenarios are really starting to make me dislike these shows.
I LOVED them when they started, but now. Ugh.
American Restoration is the worst. I can't even watch it. The Pickers guys are better, but they're little vingnettes tend to be less corny.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #253
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
American Restoration is the worst. I can't even watch it. The Pickers guys are better, but they're little vingnettes tend to be less corny.
Disagree. Rick's son deserves an EMMY.

An EMMY, I tell you!

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #254
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Not anymore than Cory traded one of those posters for free framing, or that the guy wanted the poster so bad he'd frame the others for free.
+1

or that the Old Man sold the other poster -- <cynicism>I had no idea there was that much demand for old pawn shop themed movie posters that no one's heard of </cynicism>

Its getting almost as bad as that repo show on truTV.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #255
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7 View Post
I would bet he bought it off camera and they decided to recreate it.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #256
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Only if you think someone that works for a Pawn shop would blindly pay for an item he knows nothing about. And suddenly everyone else in the shop disappeared.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #257
Hank
AC•FTW

I really want to buy that rainbow colored print of George Washigton from the dollar bill that they show in the opening credits. I wonder if they still have it?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #258
2004raptor

I just discovered this show a few weeks back. I've gone to the websites to catch up on older shows.

It's definitely better than Hardcore Pawn, which I also discovered, but the scripted stuff is getting old.
2004raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #259
DanB

wow, now American Pickers is doing product placement. Happened to catch it during channel flipping and they just happen to stop by a KFC for a quick bite, of course KFC was one of the commercials during the break.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #260
2004raptor

Also ran across this story earlier today about Chumlee's B-day bash.

Link.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #261
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

The compound archery bow episode casts more light on chum-lee's stupid act. As a finale on the ep Rick fires an arrow and hits the target. Then it's chum-lee's turn and he also hits the target, a little closer to a bulls eye in fact.

Is it really kinda tricky to fire a compound bow?

Last up is Big Hoss, who either breaks the arrow or fires it into the dirt, not sure which.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #262
pmyers

Quote:
wow, now American Pickers is doing product placement. Happened to catch it during channel flipping and they just happen to stop by a KFC for a quick bite, of course KFC was one of the commercials during the break.

Are you sure that wasn't Storage Hunters? I saw them do the same thing.

That makes me wonder if the "stars" don't get money from that or if it just goes to the show. If they don't get extra money then I think they are crazy for agreeing to it.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #263
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Are you sure that wasn't Storage Hunters? I saw them do the same thing.
Could have been -- these all kind of blend together in my head into a lukewarm mush. I do know that it was the skinnier guy that ordered at the drive thru (hmm, that doesnt help )
Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #264
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Could have been -- these all kind of blend together in my head into a lukewarm mush. I do know that it was the skinnier guy that ordered at the drive thru (hmm, that doesnt help )
That was Auction Hunters - I just watched that ep last night.

I don't really care for those kinds of things, but I love my DVRs, so I guess we'll just have to put up with it.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #265
pmyers

I was confused on the last episode where the guy brought in the Penn State Orange Bowl ring. Was Rick saying it was Illegal for him to purchase it because the engraving had been removed (which it looked like it had just been worn out not on purpose)?

If so, was it because it was the manufacturer's engraving? I assume somebody's personal engraving wouldn't matter, would it?

I always wonder why people come in there to sell family heirlooms like that bomber jacket (which with those journals was absolutely badass!) for fairly small money, but I guess she did say she had nobody to pass it down to.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #266
2004raptor

I think it was because it's the manufacturers engraving. Still don't see why it would be "illegal". I can see why it might diminish the value though.

I often wonder why people don't just put this stuff on ebay/craigslist/etc. It seems like 99% of the stuff that comes in the door the seller never gets waht he/she wants.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #267
robbhimself

i think it's because it was an identifying mark, like if i tried to sell you a wedding ring with an engraving scratched off, you should assume that i stole it and that would make it illegal to resell. at least that's how i interpreted it
robbhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #268
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I often wonder why people don't just put this stuff on ebay/craigslist/etc. It seems like 99% of the stuff that comes in the door the seller never gets waht he/she wants.
Like they say on the show: cash money. There's something to be said for walking away with a stack of cash, instead of having to deal with the hassles and uncertainty things like eBay or Craigslist can bring.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #269
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I always wonder why people come in there to sell family heirlooms like that bomber jacket (which with those journals was absolutely badass!) for fairly small money, but I guess she did say she had nobody to pass it down to.
If I didn't have someone to pass things of historic value on to (ie. bomber jacket and journals), I'd find a museum to donate/loan them to. I have been to several airplane museums that have displays with that type of stuff. Sometimes it says "donated by" or "on loan from" with someones name. At least leave a legacy like that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #270
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
If I didn't have someone to pass things of historic value on to (ie. bomber jacket and journals), I'd find a museum to donate/loan them to. I have been to several airplane museums that have displays with that type of stuff. Sometimes it says "donated by" or "on loan from" with someones name. At least leave a legacy like that!
Exactly! I guess maybe I'm a little jealous because I don't have any great family heirlooms or pieces of history like that from my family...but it amazes me that people are willing to part with that kind of stuff for not a lot of money.

I saw one episode where the lady was selling her dad's military clearance badges....c'mon!