TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #181
marksman
ID-10-T

I would like to see a spin-off with Rick Dale and his son doing all their restoration stuff.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #182
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I would like to see a spin-off with Rick Dale and his son doing all their restoration stuff.
Agree, that guy can turn junk into beauty.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #183
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I was in Vegas last week and was walking down the road when I came across their store.
I assume they must've been filming inside, based on the crowd that was lined up to go in.

Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #184
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I was in Vegas last week and was walking down the road when I came across their store.
I assume they must've been filming inside, based on the crowd that was lined up to go in.

A friend of mine went a few months ago and got in. They only let so many at a time in. The only cast member he saw was the old man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #185
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Have any of you checked out "American Pickers" on History Channel? You might like that one too.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #186
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Probably pretty close. In interviews he states that he is an absolute bookworm. Add in looking items brought in for the last 30 years should give him a pretty wide knowledge base.

I don't think Chumlee is fed lines. I think he plays dumb for the cameras.
I'd believe that Rick is pretty smart - but I also believe that Corey is about as smart as a brick. He's got to be fed lines for everything that comes in.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #187
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Have any of you checked out "American Pickers" on History Channel? You might like that one too.
Never miss it - I even have this shirt:

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #188
marksman
ID-10-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
I'd believe that Rick is pretty smart - but I also believe that Corey is about as smart as a brick. He's got to be fed lines for everything that comes in.
I agree too. If Rick died from some tragic accident, the business would be in big trouble. The Old Man could manage to keep it going for a while, but ultimately Corey would run it into the ground.

He seems to have a very narrow scope on things, although one of the commercial blurbs said he buys more items for the shop than anyone else.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #189
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I think Chum-Lee is definitely smarter than he is portrayed. I don't think Corey is at the level of Rick or Old Man, but I think he knows how to buy more every-day stuff, and isn't as an expert on the stuff on the show. I am sure he and Chum work way more hours than Rick and Old Man do as well, because he is young and supposed to be learning, and why wouldn't they work less!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #190
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
I think Chum-Lee is definitely smarter than he is portrayed.
There are some behind-the-scenes videos on youtube in which Chumlee talks to the camera quite a bit more intelligently than he does on the show. I really think most of the moronic things he says and does on the show are just an act.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #191
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
There are some behind-the-scenes videos on youtube in which Chumlee talks to the camera quite a bit more intelligently than he does on the show. I really think most of the moronic things he says and does on the show are just an act.
Yes, I saw those, and that's actually what brought me to that conclusion. The tour of the shop is an interesting one. Especially how the show cuts out the giant corner of merchandise they sell of the show, and how it even has its own seperate cash register.

He also mentioned how the shop was looking to expand, no doubt due to their increased business from the show.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #192
marksman
ID-10-T

Chumlee has been especially funny the last couple of episodes. I know some people don't like him, but I think he is funny.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #193
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I loved the one with the moon flag where he says,
Spoiler:
"Or we'll give you $25 for it right now."

Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #194
markz
Hilarity Ensues

or when he said to the lady with the Disney figurines:

Spoiler:
Do you have Bugs Bunny?

I also liked the guy that had all the Mickey Mouse memorabilia, and Chumlee asked in a surprised voice:

Spoiler:
and you have a girlfriend?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #195
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

New episodes were on the other day, and ABC's Nightline did a very complimentary piece on the shop tonight.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #196
marksman
ID-10-T

Yeah the other episode the lady came in with Fabrege Spider Broach and Rick was amazed by it... And she said she wanted 2k, and you could see Rick's devil horn's pop up and he said he had a conscious and offered her 15k, to which she immediately asked for 17k lol.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #197
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Yeah the other episode the lady came in with Fabrege Spider Broach and Rick was amazed by it... And she said she wanted 2k, and you could see Rick's devil horn's pop up and he said he had a conscious and offered her 15k, to which she immediately asked for 17k lol.
I bet Devil Rick would have kept the 2k offer if the cameras weren't on..
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #198
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I bet Devil Rick would have kept the 2k offer if the cameras weren't on..
Yes! This.

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #199
baxter316

To me this all seemed staged to put him in a good light. Maybe not but the spider was inside a box that said faberge. You can't tell me that she would not have popped that into google.
baxter316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #200
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter316 View Post
To me this all seemed staged to put him in a good light. Maybe not but the spider was inside a box that said faberge. You can't tell me that she would not have popped that into google.
she looked to be a "what is a google" kind of person. I wonder why 3/4 of these people don't sell their stuff on ebay/craigslist/internet but figure they just don't have access or knowledge of those worlds.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #201
pmyers

And call me gullable, but I think Rick would make that offer to that lady even if the cameras weren't there....maybe not $15k but more than the $2k she offered. You don't last that long, in Vegas, by screwing people and getting a bad reputation.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #202
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
she looked to be a "what is a google" kind of person. I wonder why 3/4 of these people don't sell their stuff on ebay/craigslist/internet but figure they just don't have access or knowledge of those worlds.
There is something to be said for walking out of the place with a stack of cash.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #203
Tpfer

I bet he would have just paid the $2000 if:
1- The cameras were not there.
2- This was not a setup to make the shop look good.
3- As I mentioned in another thread, this was probably worth $40,000 + if he jumped up to 15k that fast.

I buy some watches and Diamonds from a pawn type jewelry shop and know the owner. He has stories like this one person came in with 2 watches and wanted $200 for both. One was worth about $100 and the other was a philippe patek worth $10,000. Of course he paid the $200 for both watches.
Tpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #204
pmyers

How about that guy wanting $150k for that Civil war set? That's the problem with that musuem guy...he knows his stuff, but to him all this stuff is priceless (from a musuem perspective) but that doesn't mean it's actually worth anything on the open market. He put dollar signs in that guy's head! lol
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #205
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Wouldn't an offer of 15K when you threw out a 2K figure get you to wondering how much it was really worth and make you reconsider any offer.

They usually give an approximation of what the item is worth, did I miss that?
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #206
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just for kicks I looked up a Faberge Spider Brooch on Google and the latest one they make sells for $58,000.00. Just sayin'... The old original one was probably worth a lot more.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #207
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
That is only when they call in an expert, which they didn't do for this item.

Z
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #208
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Wouldn't an offer of 15K when you threw out a 2K figure get you to wondering how much it was really worth and make you reconsider any offer.

I thought it was funny that she did try and strongarm him...you could see him kicking himself for not taking her original offer!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #209
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Just for kicks I looked up a Faberge Spider Brooch on Google and the latest one they make sells for $58,000.00. Just sayin'... The old original one was probably worth a lot more.
Interesting because I did a search just now and there was links to a bunch of stories that the Faberge Spider Brooch doesn't exist?

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #210
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Interesting because I did a search just now and there was links to a bunch of stories that the Faberge Spider Brooch doesn't exist?
It sounds like they went out of business and have just made a comeback. I misread the quote though.. It says their jewelry STARTS at 55,000.00.

Quote:
After a nine year hiatus, Faberge Jewelry has made a comeback with the latest exquisite piece, the Faberge Spider Brooch. The Faberge Spider is simply tantalizing to look at. The colors, the sparkles, the amazing craftsmanship all add it’s it’s value. Recently released, the buzz about the piece is quite amazing.
Faberge Jewelry, which operated for over 129 years from 1872 to 2001, went out of business, only to be brought back very recently by the granddaughter of the founder, and a private equity firm in South Africa. The company already supposedly has several amazing pieces planned for future releases.

If you want a Faberge Spider, or any of the jewelry the company is now making, you better have deep pockets. It is said that their jewelry prices start at over $55,000, and run all the way up to $8 million.