TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #121
pmyers

plus I bet he ends up selling a lot of this stuff directly to the experts after he buys it (they get first crack and a reduced price). Makes sense they would jump at the chance to be his expert.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #122
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
plus I bet he ends up selling a lot of this stuff directly to the experts after he buys it (they get first crack and a reduced price). Makes sense they would jump at the chance to be his expert.
I've wondered if the experts aren't the ones that really buy the items. When they did the wrecked helicopter bit, Rick was supposedly told about it by a guy that operated some shop associated with that brand of helicopter and he was telling Rick how good a deal this was. Then he was the expert that rebuilt the helicopter. If it was such a good deal, why wouldn't he have just bought it himself, fixed it and pocketed the profits.

Regardless, it's an entertaining show.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #123
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
If it was such a good deal, why wouldn't he have just bought it himself, fixed it and pocketed the profits.
That's quite common in aviation. Very few FBOs[1] own their rental aircraft because very few have the capital to do it. Aircraft aren't cheap, usually. They lease them from private individuals or other companies. Leasing them also puts the onus and the risk of large maintenance costs on the owners, and not the FBOs themselves.

Fixing up that helicopter was a sweet deal for the FBO. They got all the labor and parts markups, and none of the risk of having to put up the cash.

I'm well convinced that EVERY encounter we see is scripted and recruited. There may be a few people that may come in unexpectedly and are asked to come back when the cameras are in, but they all know what's coming in the door. Random bad editing hints like scenes where you can see the front door, and it's bright daylight when the patron comes in, pitch black outside in the middle of the negotiations, and then bright daylight again at the end. Or the cutaway interludes:

Expert: "This is worth 1 million dollars"
<cut away> Patron in parking lot: "Now that I know how much it's worth, I'm not going less than half a million"
<cut back, with no time passed from the cutaway> Rick: "How much do you want?"
Patron: "1 million"
Rick: "No, I'll give you 5 bucks."
Patron: "Sold"

But knowing its scripted lets me enjoy the show a bit more. I in no way am under the illusion it's reality, but a comedy show with some history thrown in.

--Carlos V.

[1] Fixed Base Operators. Aviation companies with a storefront.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #124
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Quote:
I've wondered if the experts aren't the ones that really buy the items. When they did the wrecked helicopter bit, Rick was supposedly told about it by a guy that operated some shop associated with that brand of helicopter and he was telling Rick how good a deal this was. Then he was the expert that rebuilt the helicopter. If it was such a good deal, why wouldn't he have just bought it himself, fixed it and pocketed the profits.

Regardless, it's an entertaining show.
Maybe the expert didn't have the money like Rick did?
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #125
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post
If you are the only family-owned pawn shops in the area... and probably one of the biggest; you can always find a way to get experts to help.
I am more suprised about the type of "experts" that seem to be available in the area. Wonder if history channel is flying them in.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #126
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I am more suprised about the type of "experts" that seem to be available in the area. Wonder if history channel is flying them in.
I've lived in Las Vegas and it's an interesting city. It's pretty good sized and it needs a lot close by to support it. It's also very isolated from any other large or even medium sized cities, so there's no going 100 miles to the next city for an expert. I think you'd have to go to Manhattan to find another place in the U.S. where there's so much in such a small area.

They might be flying some in, but since you're not going to find an expert from 200 miles away ( no other big city ) you might just find them 10 miles away.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #127
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

First time I saw the show I thought it was in Seattle because the observation tower was the only thing recognizable on the skyline.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #128
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
They might be flying some in, but since you're not going to find an expert from 200 miles away ( no other big city ) you might just find them 10 miles away.
Los Angeles is less than 300 miles away and is loaded with experts, many of which would be happy to make the drive for $100-250. I have no doubt that the production company is paying for a lot of that.

Hell, we used to drive there for fun weekends when I went to UCLA. Through the desert it's really only about a 3 1/2-4-hour drive.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #129
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
Los Angeles is less than 300 miles away and is loaded with experts, many of which would be happy to make the drive for $100-250. I have no doubt that the production company is paying for a lot of that.

Hell, we used to drive there for fun weekends when I went to UCLA. Through the desert it's really only about a 3 1/2-4-hour drive.
Did you scream "ROAD TRIP!!" out the window of the car at little kids too?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #130
brianp6621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Martin View Post
I can't believe they actually drank it too.
They didn't drink the wine. This was one of the more staged things they have done.

You can clearly see the wine they were originally holding was cloudy (not having been filtered) and then as there was a cut away and back to them about to drink, the wine was very clear.

It was very obvious that they changed to good/at least well produced wine and faked the reactions.
brianp6621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #131
tgewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
My wife and I were curious about Sean, the weapons expert. Some google searching revealed that he's a regular hollywood consultant, including jobs with Pirates II and III. It really looks more like he's a buddy of the producer of Pawn Stars rather than a buddy of Rick's. Now, that's not to say that he hasn't become a friend of Rick's, but our guess was that he's being paid by the show's producers. I'm guessing the others are too, but at least the two listed in Las Vegas and the curator of the Clark County Museum were probably brought in by Rick rather than by the History Channel people.

Meet the Pawn Stars Experts
tgewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #132
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
But knowing its scripted lets me enjoy the show a bit more. I in no way am under the illusion it's reality, but a comedy show with some history thrown in.
Ok, now they've gone and done something on Monday's "bid for the fortune teller" machine episode that makes me want to cancel the SP.

An in show commercial scripted to look like a conversation. Complete with catch phrase and product fondling.

--Carlos V.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #133
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
An in show commercial scripted to look like a conversation. Complete with catch phrase and product fondling.
That product placement section was pretty blatant.

I imagine all the other "customers" in that scene were probably pawn shop employees or worked for Subway.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #134
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

5.1 million viewers Monday, and History's already eyeing two spinoffs...

Quote:
After already conquering Las Vegas, the cable network wants to spin off its top-rated reality hit -- not just once but twice -- launching editions in New York and Miami.

The plans still are very much in preliminary stages, but sources said the network is bullish on getting another version or two of "Pawn Stars" on the air.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...67d3484eb0ca40
Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #135
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Quote:
Ok, now they've gone and done something on Monday's "bid for the fortune teller" machine episode that makes me want to cancel the SP.

--Carlos V.
Hey "Subway" is an official sponsor of the show, what's the problem. Let's make free TV a donate system, maybe a tithe based on your income like the Catholic church.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #136
pmyers

Wow...that Subway commercial was REALLY bad...I expected Chum Lee to break out into that damnsong!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #137
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
Hey "Subway" is an official sponsor of the show, what's the problem?
They already have commercial breaks. Let them use those. I don't mind commercials, I mind obtrusiveness. The more annoying and in-your-face the advertisement is, the less likely I will buy or patronize. They present themselves as a reality show. If it's reality, ask yourself how often you say, "give me back my 5-dollar footlong!"? You don't. I bet you say, "give me back my sandwich!".

If they had just set it in the Store, with no product fondling and twisting the conversation so that they could utter catch-phrases, and just let the environment speak for itself, I wouldn't have minded.

--Carlos V.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #138
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I bet it made you stop the FF, right? Get used to it, I think these will become much more prevalent in the DVR vs. Ad Dollar wars.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #139
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
It was a delicious looking meatball sandwich, no?
Didn't look so good to me. In fact, I was turned off. I think product placement is cool and enjoy discovering it in shows, but that sammich didn't look so good.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #140
twentyfive

Quote:
Didn't look so good to me. In fact, I was turned off. I think product placement is cool and enjoy discovering it in shows, but that sammich didn't look so good.

I half-way expect to walk into a Subway and see the new Pawn Stars meatball sammich, complete with big fat greasy hand prints baked right into the bread.

It is only a matter of time before there is a cross promotion with Jared Fogel, Corey and Chumlee. If those two guys lost 100 lbs each, they would still be too big, IMO.

The show used to be enjoyable, now I can't ignore the fact that it is completely staged.
twentyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #141
pmyers

TV people really are stupid......I don't mind product placement but at least attempt to make it work in the storyline! I could think of a dozen different ways to get Subway in there without making me want to throw up watching it!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #142
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

How can I help you?

I have a $5 foot long meatball sub from Subway.

Are you looking to pawn it or sell it?

I think I want to sell it.

How much do you want for it?

Seeing as I paid $5 for it, I'd like $5.

That's not gonna happen.

Why not?

I gotta heat it up, then maybe I can sell it for $5. I'll give you $1 for it.

I can't take any less than $3.

I'll go $1.25, but that's as high as I can go.

OK, I'll take $1.25. [they shake hands]

OK, let's go do some paperwork.

[Outside] I'm happy. I think I got a good price. I'm going to put this money towards a down payment on an Oscar Mayer baloney sandwich.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #143
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

I'm not sure the premise of this show, as I'm about to watch my first episode tonight. But, I just got an email that my friend's son (Tim) is on the show tonight and has to pretend he knows nothing about gliders. In fact, he is a professional glider instructor in Vegas. Makes me think everything you think you know about this show is wrong.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #144
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Not everything is based on a novel by Sapphire.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #145
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

yes, totally fake. And you can tell he is faking. He pretends to have no knowledge about how much gliders are worth. He is an instructor at the school that fixed it up for the shop owner.

Makes me question all the reality in my reality shows.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #146
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumorgan View Post
Makes me think everything you think you know about this show is wrong.
Quote:
yes, totally fake.
One of these statements is correct, and one is very wrong

Z
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #147
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
One of these statements is correct, and one is very wrong

Z

Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #148
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think we all were under the impression that the show was very staged/fake.

Which is the opposite of "Makes me think everything you think you know about this show is wrong."

Z
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #149
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

For some reason my season pass quit working on this show. hmm.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #150
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I think we all were under the impression that the show was very staged/fake.

Which is the opposite of "Makes me think everything you think you know about this show is wrong."

Z
Thanks. I couldn't parse that. OK, makes me think everything I thought about this show is wrong.