Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #271
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I often wonder why people don't just put this stuff on ebay/craigslist/etc. It seems like 99% of the stuff that comes in the door the seller never gets waht he/she wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
Like they say on the show: cash money. There's something to be said for walking away with a stack of cash, instead of having to deal with the hassles and uncertainty things like eBay or Craigslist can bring.
Not to mention that the pawn shop is in Vegas. If ever there was a place where people often need fast cash, it's there.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #272
Ment

Chumlee and the pirate ship was totally staged by production. Wonder if they let the seller in on it. He seemed genuinely annoyed.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #273
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Chumlee and the pirate ship was totally staged by production. Wonder if they let the seller in on it. He seemed like a very bad actor.
fyp
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #274
DanB

new shows air 11/28/2011 and they have a marathon right now.

just saw an episode "Time Machines" dated 8/16/2009 where it looks like Ron Dale (the brother of Rick Dale from American Restoration) is the "customer" that sells Rick a beat up coke machine and then RD restores it. It also appears that the "restored" coke machine wasnt even the one they brought in to "restore."

http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03...stars-is-fake/
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #275
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
I love that this guy's problem with the show is that it's on History, so it should be accurate. Hello, this is History... The home of UFO Hunters and Ancient Aliens. Authenticity needs to be evaluated on a show-by show basis, not assumed for everything airing on the channel.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #276
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
I love that this guy's problem with the show is that it's on History, so it should be accurate. Hello, this is History... The home of UFO Hunters and Ancient Aliens. Authenticity needs to be evaluated on a show-by show basis, not assumed for everything airing on the channel.
South Park from a couple weeks ago was a bit anti History Channel.

Thanksgiving and aliens.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #277
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
new shows air 11/28/2011 and they have a marathon right now.

just saw an episode "Time Machines" dated 8/16/2009 where it looks like Ron Dale (the brother of Rick Dale from American Restoration) is the "customer" that sells Rick a beat up coke machine and then RD restores it. It also appears that the "restored" coke machine wasnt even the one they brought in to "restore."

http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03...stars-is-fake/
I remember when that first aired, some people here noticed that the machines weren't the same. But no one knew who Ron (or Rick) Dale was, since American Restoration wasn't a show yet.

Pretty embarrassing that Ron plays the "customer" in that episode.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #278
Worf

*yawn*.

Yes, Pawn Stars is staged. It has to be because the goal of the show is not about a pawn shop, nor about how pawn shops work. It's just a look at some interesting items and details about that item. It's all about the item.

If you observe closely, the items they show aren't from the same time period (you can see items hanging on the walls that came in on later episodes). And Chum Lee, really? (He's seemed to have gotten more intelligent as time progresses).

Anyhow, once you realize it's about the item, it makes sense it's all staged. Items don't come through the door just as the camera crew focuses on it - it's a standard stage entrance instruction. And ever notice how the shop seems to not be too busy when something big comes in? Or how people would just put items smack in the middle of the floor where customers could walk into it?

Heck, the crew probably review the interesting items that come in and call up the previous (or current, if the item didn't sell) owners to come tape a segment.

And authenticity level varies depending on what the show's about. I meant, seriously - a 24 hour pawn shop that in 3+ years of TV, never seems to have a problem customer? Or how experts seem to be called in constantly? That means while the pawn shop's real, the pawn shop itself isn't the focus and subject to creative artistry (what about the mundane stuff?). The items themselves are the important parts - more specifically, oddities that show up.

Ditto other shows like American Pickers - it's not about two people travelling the country - it's about the stuff they find and the history behind it. Heck both AP and PS are really modernized versions of the antique shows that air.

Hell, half the stuff on "reality TV" is staged as well. Or often re-staged just for dramatic effect.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #279
NetJunkie

It's obvious the show is staged..I don't think anyone doubts that. Look at when a "customer" comes in..the store is dead empty. They close it down for those shots...clean up the store...and do a great job on the lighting (I've been in the store).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #280
DanB

I'm sure we all know its staged, most shows are. The crew just cant sit around and hope something interesting happens. Its just the matter of the degrees. I still hope for a big difference between Pawn Stars and Operation Repo.

I mean, really, how many folks are going to take a trip to Las Vegas and bring their revolutionary war bond or grandfather's civil war rifle in case they need gambling money?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #281
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
*yawn*.
Of course it's staged to a degree. Given a minute of thought, it's obvious that the film crew isn't there filming 24/7/365 and then they just edit it down to the interesting bits.

But one would hope that the customers they show are the real customers, brought back in when the store is closed for easier filming. The fact that the customer that brought in the coke machine (supposedly) later restored by Rick Dale was actually Ron Dale is the real disappointment IMO.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #282
VegasVic
Craps Player

Yeah I always assume these shows are mostly fake but entertaining anyway. I like American Restoration, I don't care of the "customers" are fake or where the items come from, it's interesting, to me anyway, to see how they are restored. I don't know much about that so I learn something in most cases.
VegasVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #283
Adam1115
20,000!!!

You want staged, check out Hardcore Pawn....
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #284
VegasVic
Craps Player

Hardcore Pawn is a trainwreck. I want to slap the two siblings. And Les. And the customers.
VegasVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #285
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
You want staged, check out Hardcore Pawn....
Staged? What do you mean?

Interesting how all the whack jobs luckily have mic packs on.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #286
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I can barely watch Hardcore Pawn. I still watch it though... But if it gets any more Maury Povich I'm out.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #287
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hardcore Pawn is much more realistic, in that it's all about people selling or getting loans on cheap crap. Pawn stores aren't all antiques and collectibles.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #288
2004raptor

Just discovered Pawn Queens over the weekend. Anyone else watch it?

Seems OK and the girls aren't bad to look at. Although there seems to be a tad bit of drama made up for the show but from what I've seen it hasn't gotten too cheesy yet.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #289
innocentfreak

Quote:
Hardcore Pawn is much more realistic, in that it's all about people selling or getting loans on cheap crap. Pawn stores aren't all antiques and collectibles.
Yeah I find Hardcore Pawn to be much more realistic. The siblings remind me of my friend and his sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Just discovered Pawn Queens over the weekend. Anyone else watch it?

Seems OK and the girls aren't bad to look at. Although there seems to be a tad bit of drama made up for the show but from what I've seen it hasn't gotten too cheesy yet.
I watched it for a bit, and I gave up on it. It is really bad on the fake drama, but I forgot it was TLC show so I shouldn't be surprised.

I swear I recognize the one girl from something else also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #290
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I swear I recognize the one girl from something else also.
Shannon edwards has 52 credits on IMDB, mostly small parts though.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #291
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

I'd love to know how much time passed between the ex-blue angel pilot's first look at the trainer and his decision to take it up.

Also, who paid for the fuel?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 AM   #292
Tpfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
Also, who paid for the fuel?
They seem to do that a lot. Waste people's time and money when they have no intention of buying an item. They use the seller's ammo, fuel and property to enjoy themselves and then give a lowball offer or say we are not interested at all.
Tpfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #293
Hank
AC•FTW

Surely (1) the show reimburses these people for any resources used, (2) the show is scripted, so it's not like it's a surprise to anyone, (3) the sellers know full well they're taping a segment for TV, and it's not a real "sale" or "no-sale"..oh, and (4) the sellers are probably compensated for their time as well (I'm guessing).
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #294
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Really, come on if you're trying to sell a jet, is the first place you go to a Pawn shop?? I wouldn't be surprised if they contacted the seller to set this up.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #295
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

It seems like a great way to advertise your unique product. And I think half of the people would sell for a loss just to get on tv.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #296
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Well that wouldn't really be advertising the unique product if you're selling it for half it's worth.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #297
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm kinda shocked you can get a freaking fighter jet for $200k. I have no idea what planes cost, but I figured a nice little single-engine prop plane would cost that much.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #298
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I totally want that jet.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #299
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Well that wouldn't really be advertising the unique product if you're selling it for half it's worth.
That's the price to the tv show. When you go to buy it outside the show, the price may shoot up.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #300
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
That's the price to the tv show. When you go to buy it outside the show, the price may shoot up.
My comment was in regards to half the people selling for a loss. How is that advertising?