TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

The Leftovers S1E1 "Pilot" 6/29/14

I liked it! Parts of it definitely had a "Lost" feel.

Questions so far:

What's with the deer/moose? I got the impression it was the main character's dad in animal form somehow but then it got eaten at the end.

What's with the dogs?

Why did Mom join the cult?

What's with the cult? The smoking but not talking thing was weird. And the sign they held up...how is talking any more wasting breath than smoking?

Wayne seems weird too. Is he another cult leader? Clearly not the same cult, right?

I'd be totally fine if they never explained where the "heroes" went, but I suspect much of the show will be focused on that.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

On HBO Go there's an about The Leftovers short that explains some of this.
There are a few cults and Lindenoff said many viewers may get hung up on the "where did they go" aspect but he had hopes the depth of the characters would draw viewers in and the focus on that question would wane.
I liked it too. I'm in.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Lindelof seems to have learned from his mistakes at Lost, where he both implicitly and explicitly promised things the show would never deliver (i.e., answers); now he's saying upfront that this show is not about why people disappeared, but rather how the rest respond to it.

I'd have to say carefully managing expectations is a lot better than shooting off your mouth without thinking!

The cult baffles me. I'm really interested in what's going on there.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

There's a son in the family picture, I assume he disappeared and that's why mom joined the cult.
Now who is Liv Tyler playing,first she freaks out because the smokers are following her, then she shows up at the door.

Lots going on here and I need to watch it again to digest.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Demandred
RPSLS Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
There's a son in the family picture, I assume he disappeared and that's why mom joined the cult. Now who is Liv Tyler playing,first she freaks out because the smokers are following her, then she shows up at the door. Lots going on here and I need to watch it again to digest.
The son is the guy working for "Wayne". The picture on his phone when "dad" called was the main character.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I missed that. See like I said, lots going on and I need to rewatch.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Based on the pilot it's obvious the 2% were mostly Mensa members, because what's left went thoroughly stupid in less than 3 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

I liked the pilot. now I just need to sign up for HBO so I can watch the rest of the episodes. FiOS had a free HBO weekend.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Test

It was pretty slow for a series pilot episode. Was the wife being in the cult supposed to be a "twist" revelation? I assumed that was the wife pretty early on and then the way he delivered the line at the cults house about "my wife" just made it seem like I was supposed to be shocked.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
dthmj
Hinky

I had no idea that was his wife. I had assumed his wife was one of the ones that disappeared. So I was surprised.

And it really seems like more than 2% of the word disappeared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

I didn't realize it was his wife until he hit the picture on the stairwell and they showed her and the entire family.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
It was pretty slow for a series pilot episode. Was the wife being in the cult supposed to be a "twist" revelation? I assumed that was the wife pretty early on and then the way he delivered the line at the cults house about "my wife" just made it seem like I was supposed to be shocked.
I thought it was painfully slow too. I was expecting something closer between Lost and FlashForward I guess but I didn't really research the show good enough. The twist was kinda of meh and something I assumed for some reason was a given early on in the show.

The video memorial to the vanished celebrities was pretty funny though.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
It was pretty slow for a series pilot episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
I thought it was painfully slow too.
i took a break about 25 minutes in, watched a couple of other shows, then picked it back up and watched to the end. not a good sign for me when i'm watching a series pilot.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I recorded the show, but haven't watched it yet. I've thought the previews for it have looked like something I would not like at all. I have seen some good reviews and of course it is an HBO show. So, I kinda feel like I have to watch at least the first couple episodes. Seeing comments above that the show is "painfully slow" is exactly why I wouldn't watch the show.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Based on the pilot it's obvious the 2% were mostly Mensa members, because what's left went thoroughly stupid in less than 3 years.
Gary Busey is a Mensa member?

I'm intrigued and looking forward to the rest of the season.

As someone already mentioned, HBO has a 30 min making of that explains a lot and the differences between the series and the book.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
Cainebj

I enjoyed it and didn't think it was slow at all.

I had no idea Amy Brenneman was the wife - mostly because no offense Amy but she seems way older than Justin Theroux the lead male character.

Also that really quick flash of him having sex when he was asked where he was - I thought that was implying he was actually in the act of screwing his wife when she vanished.... Can you imagine?

as a complete aside he's Jennifer Aniston's fiancé. Lucky her.

Last edited by Cainebj : 06-30-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: edit
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
There's a son in the family picture, I assume he disappeared and that's why mom joined the cult.
Now who is Liv Tyler playing,first she freaks out because the smokers are following her, then she shows up at the door.

Lots going on here and I need to watch it again to digest.
I'm guessing that the reason the cult was following her is because she was "meant to be" in the cult.

Her being the only one they followed, and her being the only one who joined during this episode leads me to believe that might be correct.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I'm guessing that the reason the cult was following her is because she was "meant to be" in the cult.

Her being the only one they followed, and her being the only one who joined during this episode leads me to believe that might be correct.
The only one they SHOWED being followed...but there were a lot of other cultists who went out, so presumably they were following a lot of other people.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I had planned on watching this, until one of the show runners pretty much stated that they wouldn't be revealing the cause of the disappearances, so as to concentrate more on how the people dealt with it.

I have to know what's in the box, if I'm gonna invest a lot of time in a show. *

*Ref: Ronin

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #20
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I had no idea Amy Brenneman was the wife - mostly because no offense Amy but she seems way older than Justin Theroux the lead male character.

Also that really quick flash of him having sex when he was asked where he was - I thought that was implying he was actually in the act of screwing his wife when she vanished.... Can you imagine?
I had those same two thoughts, so I was surprised that Amy was his wife.

I liked the show, didn't love it, and will keep watching - mostly because there's not much else to watch.

It's like a higher class version of Under the Dome. (Now there's a compliment.)
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Doesn't Under the Dome start back up tonight? I guess I'll watch it tonight if I don't fall asleep.

I just hope that FiOS still has HBO for 50% off for twelve months in July. Otherwise I'll need to pay the full $20 a month until "The Left Overs" is finished for it's first season.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

find someone to share HBO go with. That's what I'm doing. (And HBO doesn't seem to care)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

When the kids were playing the "Spin the IPod" did she choke the kid to death? And the Kid's just don't care about living or dyeing anymore?
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
When the kids were playing the "Spin the IPod" did she choke the kid to death? And the Kid's just don't care about living or dyeing anymore?
No, it was erotic asphyxiation. You CAN die from it (as did David Carradine), but that's not the intent.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

That sounds rather dangerous as David Carradine found out. You better be doing it with someone you absolutely trust. And even then it's still a stupid thing to do.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:55 AM   #26
Jim_TV

Only a Hollywood writer who spent a lot of time in AA or NA could write a plot line about a cult that sits around in a communal space smoking cigarettes endlessly. If this was another era or they showed a brand name I'd think this was product placement. But who knows, it could even be the cigarette lobby getting around the advertising ban by paying someone to write chain-smoking of cigarettes into the story. Otherwise I can't imagine what that whole element is supposed to be about.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #27
Chris Gerhard

Since it is an HBO series, I am in for a couple more episodes to give it a chance to get better. I do see some potential but in general shows that have a lot going on that makes no sense don't keep me interested long.

The cult with Wayne where somehow Wayne has some mystic abilities to help people or control people or make people delusional or whatever can't really ever be explained satisfactorily, whatever it is he is doing can only be really stupid. Maybe he is a charlatan psychic claiming he can communicate with the departed, giving people comfort, I don't know or maybe his character will be developed as a real psychic, really able to communicate with the departed, maybe I am so far from what he really is that everybody will know I am no psychic.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:20 AM   #28
dbranco

For those who didn't realize that Amy B. was the wife" -- would it be a bad spoiler for me to tell my husband up-front that this is the case (e.g., is it a "twist" that you learn while watching and say "huh!" when you figure it out)? Or would this knowledge just make things a lot clearer while watching the whole episode?
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #29
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Why tell your husband anything up front?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #30
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
Only a Hollywood writer who spent a lot of time in AA or NA could write a plot line about a cult that sits around in a communal space smoking cigarettes endlessly. If this was another era or they showed a brand name I'd think this was product placement. But who knows, it could even be the cigarette lobby getting around the advertising ban by paying someone to write chain-smoking of cigarettes into the story. Otherwise I can't imagine what that whole element is supposed to be about.
Their motto seemed to be "don't waste your breathe". As in don't waste your breath talking about the missing. In fact, they don't waste a breath talking at all. I'd say instead they are wasting their breath on smoking. (or something)

Also, I don't see this as some great advertisement for smoking. People seeing a weirdo cult chain smoke cigarettes is really going to get them to run out and start smoking?