TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
ghuido

Get Channel but no Guide Information

I have two Tivo HD's with Comcast M-Cards.

About a month ago I received a message from TIVO that I got new channels on one my Basement TIVO HD (Spike HD, Speed HD, Fox News HD). The channels where available with all the guide information.

It has been over a month and the TIVO HD on the 1st Floor has not been updated with the new channels. I can go to CHannel List and select the channels to be shown and they are viewable. Yet I get NO Channel Guide Information it just says TO BE ANNOUNCED.

I tried rebooting and re-connecting with the TIVO Service to see if that would work. It has not and I have tried it for 2 weeks.

Since both TIVO's are the same model and provider, I don't get why one has not updated with the new channels.

I called TIVO to see if they could help and they told me to "Clear the Program Guide/To Do List".

Couple of Questions to the forum:
1.) By doing this will I erase all the shows on my Season Pass Manager?
2.) Has anyone else experienced this and how have they solved it?

Thanks for the help
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
SpiritualPoet

Call your cable operator and tell it that channel information for those two channels is not being provided to TiVo. Ask if there is an intermediary firm that you need to contact to tell it of the problem. Also, examine your cable company's Website with channel listings. Is program information conveyed there for the two channels in question? If so, at least you know what to do for manual program scheduling. If the data is missing there, too, let your cable operator know. See if the national TV Guide magazine lists those two channels and shows scheduling information. If not, call TV Guide and tell it too. Also, many cable operators offer printed monthly program guides (for a fee) - go by the office and examine the one for July and see if the two channels and the content for them are listed. If not, contact the publisher of that program listing publication. I can't answer your other two questions but this is what I'd advise about the missing info.
SpiritualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I haven't done that particular "Clear" operation so I don't want to comment on that, though it sounds pretty innocuous.

I'm surprised that part of the advice was not to rerun Guided Setup. I would suspect that would be a possible explanation. Your "stuck" TiVo may somehow have acquired a temporary build channel lineup (happens often with cable systems doing massive channel changes) that didn't get deleted when it expired. Since it won't get updated with new channels either, you get stuck with the old lineup.

I personally would try redoing Guided Setup first, before deleting anything.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
ghuido

Just to clarify I can see the channels and view the programming being broadcast i just have no channel guide information for it.

Last night, I got another channel lineup change for both TIVO's that added some other channels but did not fix the problem.

Looks like somehow one box completly missed the channel lineup change for those channels (FX HD, Fox News HD, Spike HD) .... weird.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

That is puzzling since one has it and the other doesn't. I've gone through similar issues the past six months with TiVo and our cable provider (Mediacom) when new HD channels have been added. It's taken up to 6 weeks and many phone calls to TiVo to get the issue escalated/resolved. I've also e-mailed Tribune Media to no avail. It's eventually been resolved, but only after many calls to TiVo CS. However, your issue seems very unusual since one unit is fine and the other isn't. In my case (TiVo S3 original and TiVo HD), it's been a uniform problem with both. And it's been resolved with both at the same time.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Just to clarify I can see the channels and view the programming being broadcast i just have no channel guide information for it.

Last night, I got another channel lineup change for both TIVO's that added some other channels but did not fix the problem.

Looks like somehow one box completly missed the channel lineup change for those channels (FX HD, Fox News HD, Spike HD) .... weird.
So you're still getting other updates on both? That is wierd.

I can just about guarantee that redoing guided setup and choosing a different lineup, followed (after waiting a bit) by redoing guided setup again choosing the correct lineup, will solve your problem. (Assuming the root cause of things being missed is not disk problems). However, that's a big hassle and you risk having to redo some of your Season Passes. I might try TiVo's suggestion first.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
ghuido

Yeah my only concern is the Season Pass Manager. Hate loosing it and not being able to add shows again because they are not on the schedule.

Does Redoing Guided Setup blow away the Season Pass Manager? What about just clearing the To Do List as TIVO Suggested?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
showday

I'm experiencing the same problem where the correct channel name shows up in the channel lineup, but the program guide says "to be announced" for all times of day. This may be coincidental, but I have this problem with about 10 channels and they are all HD channels (Bravo, A&E, WE, CARTOON, etc.).

In other posts, people have suggested going to zap2it.com to see if the program information for the channels in question appears there. This way you klnow if Tribune is providing the programming lineup. In my case, the lineup appears for all of the problematic channels, so that is not the solution.

As has been said previously, when I called TiVo, they suggested I "Clear Program Guide/To Do List". I tried this last night, and as a warning, it takes hours! I takes about an hour to clear and then a few more to load the new program data. Everything seems to be working fine this morning on my TiVo, but this did not fix the problem. The same channels still display "to be announced". On top of that, all of my season passes are intact, but my ToDo list is completely blank and for all of my season passes there are "no upcoming programs". I hope the to do list automatically repopulates while I'm at work!

I am posting a suggestion that seemed to be successful for several others that I found in another post. (suggestion posted by demon):

When I ran into a situation like this, I had submitted a request to have the channels mapped to guide data to TiVo. They told me to do this:
Rerun Guided Setup.
Enter another zip code. Doesn't matter what it is, just something else.
When asked to choose a cable provider, say it's not listed there. When it asks if you're sure, say yes; it should give you the opportunity to reenter your zip code.
Enter the correct zip code.
Choose the correct provider.
Complete Guided Setup as usual.
This apparently forces the TiVo to pull the latest lineup data; it solved my problem, might be worth a shot.
showday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

I had a simular situation with added channels without program data--signal was there but only "To be announced" in guide data.

I went to Tivo.com and filed a lineup problem saying I got the channel but without data. Soon the data showed up. I had to do it again because the data for two channels were switched. Then it got fixed.

I suppose this is the unintended consequences of cable's change over to digital in many markets. They now can add more channels with the greater bandwidth of digital cable and that makes for more lineup changes. Also OTA stations now can broadcast sub channels. The my switched data was for the sub channels of a local OTA station on cable.

TiVo is totally dependant on correct lineups and program data to function right--Garbage in-Garbage out or GIGO. Otherwise you are left only with manual recording--like a VCR.
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
showday

Thanks for the reply lastdeadcat. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that if the programing data is available on places like zap2it.com (which it is for my case), then it not an issue of filing a lineup problem with TiVo.

See the thread:

Missing program guide on a single HD channel

where this is discussed briefly. Sorry, I'm too new to the forum so I can't post the actual link. It is in the TiVO Series 3 HDTV DVR forum.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
lastdeadcat
22 years in Alaska

Showday--Zap2it is the website for Tribune Media Services that provides guide date to TiVo. I did check that site about my problem they reflected the same data that TiVo had, but they only had channels that they had data for. The cable company was broadcasting channels to me that were not listed on zap2it or the TiVo Guide.

I emailed zap2it about the problem, too, but it was TiVo that seemed to get it fixed. I couldn't make zap2it understand the problem.

Zap2it is not infallable. They had program data for a phantom channel in my line up. After I started sending lineup inquires, the phantom channel disappeared. Even the cable company's lineup on their own website wasn't exactly what I got on my TiVo. My lineup questions to TiVo got that fixed.

Bottom line: It won't hurt to ask TiVo to fix the line up issue, the least they can do is nothing.
lastdeadcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
showday

I fixed it! Here's how:

First, I tried the fix TiVo recommended which was to "Clear the Program Guide/To Do List". This did not solve the problem. Additionally, I lost all of my season passes and wishlist searches. The season passes were actually still there, but didn't work to find programs any more.

Next, I tried the solution I quoted earlier in which I redid the guided setup and chose another zipcode, and then redid it again choosing my correct zipcode. This did not work either.

Finally, I tried redoing the guided setup again. When I got to the point where I was asked to choose from a list what channel 12 (for example) was in my lineup, I changed things up. The previous time I ran guided setup, it asked if I received channel 113 (chiller). It is in my lineup but I don't get it, so I chose no. This time, I chose yes and everything worked perfectly! I had to uncheck a lot more channels in my channel lineup that I didn't receive, but I got all of my guide information.

For those of you out there, this applies to RCN cable in New York City (Manhattan). Hope this helps!

Aaron
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
tall1sobay

Same thing just happened in our area, Santa Clara/San Jose. Zap2it doesn't match any of the new Comcast lineup. they've added a lot of new HD channels. I'm excited for the new channels, if I could only see whats on. Almost missed Season Premier of Mad Men.

TiVo customer service told me the same thing, 7-10 days, for zap2it to get fully updated. We'll see what happens.
tall1sobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Ceciliachavez75
Tivo kitten

Just noticed a ton of HD channels that also say to be announced. Hope its fixed soon. Another issue, which i have always had is that Oxygen channel and scifi channel are switched. So i cant really ever record or season pass a show, such as tori and dean because a scifi show will record in its place. Its really frustrating.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
juhealy

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I was getting so frustrated that I wasn't getting the new Comcast HD channel data in my guide (in Plymouth Mi).

I ran the process that Showday described and it worked perfectly. Thanks again guys.
juhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
ghuido

Did repeating guided setup delete your existing recordings?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Re-doing Guided setup has never cleared shows off my machines.

It's "Clear and Delete Everything" that'd do that.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
BarretoA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by showday View Post
I fixed it! Here's how:

Finally, I tried redoing the guided setup again. When I got to the point where I was asked to choose from a list what channel 12 (for example) was in my lineup, I changed things up. The previous time I ran guided setup, it asked if I received channel 113 (chiller). It is in my lineup but I don't get it, so I chose no. This time, I chose yes and everything worked perfectly! I had to uncheck a lot more channels in my channel lineup that I didn't receive, but I got all of my guide information.
This worked for me too. A bunch of HD Channels came online recently but most of them didn't have program information. When asked during Guided Setup if I received any premium channels I took your advice and said yes and check marked all of them (even though I don't receive premium channels). Once the guide information loaded, I had program info for all the channels that had it missing. I'll still need to remove those channels I don't receive from my guide but at least I know what's on now.

Thanks Aaron!
BarretoA is offline   Reply With Quote