TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Antenna and Cable on same wire?

I'm exploring adding OTA, with the possibility of dropping cable altogether. What I'd like to do is use the existing coax that's run in my apartment to carry the signal from an attic antenna. Is it possible to have both OTA and Cable on the same wire? At the wall by the Tivo, I'd have a splitter with one "branch" going to Antenna In, and another going to Cable In. I'd like to try both OTA & cable for awhile to make sure I don't prematurely cancel cable only to find out I can only receive 1 channel OTA!

Would this work? I'm already sharing the coax with my network using MoCA adapters.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
yjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I'm exploring adding OTA, with the possibility of dropping cable altogether. What I'd like to do is use the existing coax that's run in my apartment to carry the signal from an attic antenna. Is it possible to have both OTA and Cable on the same wire? At the wall by the Tivo, I'd have a splitter with one "branch" going to Antenna In, and another going to Cable In. I'd like to try both OTA & cable for awhile to make sure I don't prematurely cancel cable only to find out I can only receive 1 channel OTA!

Would this work? I'm already sharing the coax with my network using MoCA adapters.
You can create a "mixer" for the cable and OTA signals with a splitter hooked up "backwards" like you suggest.
Is the cable signal the output of your cable box or "raw" cable?. that may be important if your cable provider "re-map" the channels.
The problem that you may run into is that the OTA and cable signals may arrive at your "mixer" at different times, and if they are on the same freq.(I don't know how a digital tiner will handle this).
Why not use an A/B switch to select the feeds?
JerryR
yjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Stephen Tu

You can't put both on the same wire at the same time. Use a switch. The frequencies overlap.

Satellite & OTA work on the same wire since the satellite signal is much higher frequency range. Cable & OTA do not.
Stephen Tu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjr View Post
You can create a "mixer" for the cable and OTA signals with a splitter hooked up "backwards" like you suggest.
Is the cable signal the output of your cable box or "raw" cable?. that may be important if your cable provider "re-map" the channels.
The cable signal would be "raw" from the wall.

Quote:
The problem that you may run into is that the OTA and cable signals may arrive at your "mixer" at different times, and if they are on the same freq.(I don't know how a digital tiner will handle this).
Why not use an A/B switch to select the feeds?
JerryR
I don't think my S3 would like having an A/B switch. That's why I'd have one cable going to antenna in, and one to cable in. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear that I had an S3.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu View Post
You can't put both on the same wire at the same time. Use a switch. The frequencies overlap.

Satellite & OTA work on the same wire since the satellite signal is much higher frequency range. Cable & OTA do not.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of! I remembered I had an antenna in storage, plugged it directly into the my TV, and scanned for channels. I found 34 digital and 5 analog. After paring down the list, removing spanish & religious channels, I was left with 16, with about ˝ being PBS channels of different flavors.

I may review the channels I receive again tonight - it's hard for me to tell if I have the channels I want based on daytime TV!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
yjr

What can you see now with the "raw" cable feed? Do you have cable cards in your S3?
JerryR
yjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
What can you see now with the "raw" cable feed? Do you have cable cards in your S3?
JerryR
Hi Jerry,
Yes, I have 2 S-CARDs installed. I get all channels provided by my cable company (WAY more than I ever watch). If I can do OTA supplemented with internet streaming/downloads for my viewing needs, I could cancel cable, cancel cableCARD rental and return my TA. I also have a cable STB (feeding an S2) that I would have no issues returning.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
ewilts
Who, me?

I tried and it wouldn't work for me. I ended up pulling another cable.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
classicsat
Astute User

You don't need a switch, just antenna to one input, cable to the other.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Tivo HD / XL has 2 separate inputs for cable and antenna coax that you can use at the same time.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The Tivo HD / XL has 2 separate inputs for cable and antenna coax that you can use at the same time.
Yes. I have an S3 that has a similar layout:

My question concerned "piggy-backing" the signal from the antenna on the same coax that my cable provider uses. This would eliminate the need to run a second cable either inside or outside the wall. As indicated by Stephen Tu, this is not possible, due to cable and OTA sharing the same frequency range:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu View Post