TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
thomsm

Can't record premium channels ahead of time.

Has anyone had this experience yet?
On Saturday May 30, my hd tivo stopped recording premium channels. to explain further, I tried to record a film on HBO and the red recording button in the now playing list for that show started blinking and a message said that the film would be erased after 90 minutes. It's acting like it's pay per view. It tried with all the pay per view and they all did the same.
For anyone who knows anything about copy protection my cable cards had a cci code of 0x03 (cannot be copied) code for all premium channels. The other channels had a cci code of 0x00 (can be copied).
I called Comcast, my cable company, and they spent the day swapping cards without being able to change the codes back to what they used to be.
So the dvr capabilities of premium channels are gone. Tivo tells me that this is a new anti-copy policy instituted by hbo, etc.
Comcast doesn't know what's going on and ultimately neither does Tivo.
What's really going on?
This negates the use of a dvr on premium channels.
thomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
bkdtv

This is a configuration error at your cable company. It's a setting at their head-end, so no amount of CableCard swapping will fix it.

The FCC specifically prohibits the use of "copy never" (CCI 0x03) on cable channels. The "copy never" flag is only permitted on PPV and VOD programs.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do besides calling Comcast to complain, and hoping that you get a rep that knows what you are talking about. Note they are in violation of FCC mandate, which prohibits the use of the "copy never" flag on cable channels.

Last edited by bkdtv : 06-02-2009 at 01:39 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
johnf@home

Quick clarification:

The cci byte for protected content on your premium channels should almost certainly be 02 (that's how my Comcast provider has it set). This will prevent the program being copied to other TiVos (or to your PC), but will not cause it to be erased after 90 minutes.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
thomsm

Thanks so much for the info guys, their answers never made any sense. I will start my fight.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
drcos
HD where available

Sun 6/7 - the Comcast rep I spoke to said they have an internal memo (which he admits is local to the Sarasota headend) to the effect that 'HBO, Cinemax, Showtime' want them to restrict copying their programs.
We discussed the FCC mandate and the CFR Title 47, part 76.1904, which clearly states:
Quote:
Commercial audiovisual content shall not be encoded so as to prevent or limit copying thereof except ... To prevent or limit copying, other than first generation of copies, of pay television transmissions, non-premium subscription television, and free conditional access delivery transmissions...
This seems to indicate that the copy never (0x03) flag (set right now on ALL my premium channels) is in violation of this code.

Update - 2PM - A 'manager' informs me this is a corporate thing, and that all the cable companies are doing this.

Last edited by drcos : 06-07-2009 at 07:19 PM.
drcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
thomsm

I went to HBO to see if they have such a policy and they don't:
HBO permits its subscribers to make one copy - analog or digital -- of regularly scheduled HBO and Cinemax programs for time-shifting convenience, but not for sharing copies with others. However, cable subscribers are not permitted to make a copy of HOD or MaxOD programs since those services already provide subscribers the viewing convenience of "time-shifting" (i.e., HOD and MaxOD subscribers can watch HOD or MaxOD when their schedule permits, and can even stop, pause, and rewind if viewing is interrupted).
Comcast is lying. I also called the FCC and denied any such policy.
I have been repeating my story over and over and they say they will contact me, but they never do. Maybe they are trying to get rid of Tivo cable card customers.
And by the way thanks for the info. I thought I was crazy.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
Update - 2PM - A 'manager' informs me this is a corporate thing, and that all the cable companies are doing this.
HBO, Showtime, etc want the "copy one generation" (CCI=0x02) applied to their channels, not "copy never" (CCI=0x03).

All Comcast systems received this or a similar memo, which was meant to ensure that all systems were using CCI=0x02 on HBO, Showtime, and other premium movie channels. Whoever is in charge of your Comcast system appears to have misconstrued its meaning and is using CCI=0x03 in violation of FCC mandate.

As noted in prior posts, "copy never" is not permitted on any linear channels; it is only permitted on PPV and VOD.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

thomsm, can you send me a private message with your contact information?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
All Comcast systems received this or a similar memo, which was meant to ensure that all systems were using CCI=0x02 on HBO, Showtime, and other premium movie channels. Whoever is in charge of your Comcast system appears to have misconstrue...
I suspected this was the case, but was unable to resolve this on the local level as of yet. We have heard from 'comcast cares' and are awaiting a resolution.

The odd thing is that all the premium channels were previously properly set (to 0x02), and were changed on June 1 to 0x03.

Update (6/9): I have a response from 'comcast cares' to the effect that the problem will be fixed during overnight maintenance. Hopefully one last update tomorrow
Update (6/10): Fixed as promised. My TiVo is recording Jaws in HD for me to watch later this evening or whenever (since it will not delete itself now).
to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com - and local support who at least tried to help (seriously).

Last edited by drcos : 06-10-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Update
drcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
thomsm

Just received a message that the problem was being worked on and will be fixed by tomorrow (Thursday).