TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
jasonbondone

Tivo series 2 as cable box no subscription

Hello I am thinking about getting the tivo series 2 and using it instead of my cable box. I spoke with tivo and optimum and they say it will work if i have basic cable all i have to do is connect the coax cable. I just want to know if i just get series 2 with out activating it will it still work? I heard when its not activated there is a message on the bottom that says activate tivo. Is this true or is it true if you have phone line plugged in? I want to activate but not until july. And will i get channels like tnt tbs mtv and so on. Since they are basic channels?
jasonbondone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
mec1991
Cranky old coot

A series 2 without service makes a nice doorstop or boat anchor.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
jasonbondone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1991 View Post
A series 2 without service makes a nice doorstop or boat anchor.
so which model can be used with out service?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbondone View Post
so which model can be used with out service?
Depends on your definition of use, but S2s w/ DVD and S1 (at least some of them). Those ones are bettered by a VCR in terms of usability.

In general, the Tivo is a device that REQUIRES service... This forum has a nice search function to find information about Tivos without service.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
jasonbondone

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Depends on your definition of use, but S2s w/ DVD and S1 (at least some of them). Those ones are bettered by a VCR in terms of usability.

In general, the Tivo is a device that REQUIRES service... This forum has a nice search function to find information about Tivos without service.
yeah i know about search function. but no questions like mine have been asked. I basically want to use it instead of my cable box because i don't want to rent a box. I will get subscrition later onbut in the meantime i want to watch cable using the tivo. Do you understand now
Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
socrplyr

Quote:
yeah i know about search function. but no questions like mine have been asked. I basically want to use it instead of my cable box because i don't want to rent a box. I will get subscrition later onbut in the meantime i want to watch cable using the tivo. Do you understand now
The S2 doesn't replace a cable box, so any channels you can pick up directly with it will be analogs which you can get with the TV already. Now you can get a little bit of a buffer I believe without the sub. With most cable companies this means you will get channels less than 100 just like you already get with your TV. The S2 requires a cable box with it to get digital channels. As for something that replaces the cable box that would be an S3/HD/HDXL, but those would work the same unless you got a cable card. I am not sure if they operate a cable card without the service. As for the comment about the search, i just meant that for more info on those models that work somewhat search for it because it isn't worth it for me to search and post it when you could have yourself (wasn't meant as derogatory, just lazy on my part). Hope that was the info you were looking for.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
jasonbondone

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
The S2 doesn't replace a cable box, so any channels you can pick up directly with it will be analogs which you can get with the TV already. Now you can get a little bit of a buffer I believe without the sub. With most cable companies this means you will get channels less than 100 just like you already get with your TV. The S2 requires a cable box with it to get digital channels. As for something that replaces the cable box that would be an S3/HD/HDXL, but those would work the same unless you got a cable card. I am not sure if they operate a cable card without the service. As for the comment about the search, i just meant that for more info on those models that work somewhat search for it because it isn't worth it for me to search and post it when you could have yourself (wasn't meant as derogatory, just lazy on my part). Hope that was the info you were looking for.
ok thanks i will now need to search and see if i can use with out sub with the s3 model thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
jjberger2134

All S3 TiVo's require a subscription to use full functionality. All S2's require a subscription, except for the integrated DVD units (see below on the integrated units). The only thing you can do with an UNSUBSCRIBED TiVo is to play back shows already recorded, and use trick play on live TV (FF, RW, Pause the 30 minute buffer).

There were some integrated TiVo/DVD units made by Pioneer and Toshiba, that fall into the S2 category and they had something called TiVo Basic which is a free stripped down version of the TiVo Service. Those are no longer produced, so you would have to go used.

Basically, a new TiVo is not what you are looking for if you want to avoid subscription costs.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
jasonbondone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
All S3 TiVo's require a subscription to use full functionality. All S2's require a subscription, except for the integrated DVD units (see below on the integrated units). The only thing you can do with an UNSUBSCRIBED TiVo is to play back shows already recorded, and use trick play on live TV (FF, RW, Pause the 30 minute buffer).

There were some integrated TiVo/DVD units made by Pioneer and Toshiba, that fall into the S2 category and they had something called TiVo Basic which is a free stripped down version of the TiVo Service. Those are no longer produced, so you would have to go used.

Basically, a new TiVo is not what you are looking for if you want to avoid subscription costs.
not trying to avoid subscription cost. right now i am looking for an alternative to a cable box. I will be getting service but down the line so i want something cheap that i can use until a few moths when i am ready to pay for annual subscription.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
jjberger2134

Quote:
not trying to avoid subscription cost. right now i am looking for an alternative to a cable box. I will be getting service but down the line so i want something cheap that i can use until a few moths when i am ready to pay for annual subscription.
An alternative to a cable box would be the TiVoHD or S3 model. Those models replace the cable box by using cable cards (which you rent from your cable provider at a nominal cost).

Unfortunately, you cannot use the TiVo service without a subscription for a few months. I think you *may* be able to use it for about 2 weeks until you run out of guide data. Others will know better, but by severing the connection (phone/internet) you still may get functionality without guide data or the automatic recording features.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Austin Bike

I just ordered a premiere XL to replace my old series 2 (I have an HD and a DT series 2 as well). It is an upgrade so the old unit will not have a sub.

If I want to take the old single tuner series 2 and put it out in the screen porch, can it work?

All I want to do is pause and rewind tv. That is all. If I manually tune, will that work? Don't need to record or pull data off the other boxes.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #12
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
I just ordered a premiere XL to replace my old series 2 (I have an HD and a DT series 2 as well). It is an upgrade so the old unit will not have a sub.

If I want to take the old single tuner series 2 and put it out in the screen porch, can it work?

All I want to do is pause and rewind tv. That is all. If I manually tune, will that work? Don't need to record or pull data off the other boxes.
Yes.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #13
emp

Since you said you want to eliminate the cable box then we are talking about analog only service. Why do you need the Tivo at all if you just want analog service with no subscription? Just hook up the cable directly to your TV. You don't need a cable box to get analog service.
emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
classicsat
Astute User

It is noce to have the pause Live TV.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #15
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emp View Post
Since you said you want to eliminate the cable box then we are talking about analog only service. Why do you need the Tivo at all if you just want analog service with no subscription? Just hook up the cable directly to your TV. You don't need a cable box to get analog service.
If your comments are directed at the OP, this thread is very, very old, and likely that matter was solved a good while back.

If you're replying to the person who for some reason resurrected the thread with a slightly different situation, they've not said they have cable, and also didn't say if they have a phone line out where they want to put their older machine. If there's no phone line out there, the machine won't even be able to phone home, which even an unsubbed machine will need to do on occasion.