TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
pgoelz

Removing channels I don't get?

I tried searching for the answer to this and could not find it....

TiVo HD, Comcast digital, multi-stream cable card. The EPG shows ALL channels in the Comcast system including many I don't get at my service level. I know I can manually remove them (as well as those I don't WANT to see). But that is a very lengthy process because there are a LOT of channels to go through. Is there any automated way to remove channels that I don't receive? Similar to a channel scan for the antenna input? If not, that is a VERY desirable feature to add to the software.

Doing it manually would be a simple (if tedious) process except for the fact that Comcast doesn't have a channel lineup for my system. The lineup card they give out is WAY out of date and the web site says "We're working to provide a channel guide for your area". So I am stuck with enabling ALL channels and then making my own list as I flip from one to the next.

Note that I have NOT done a guided setup since the cable card was installed. The installation seemed to say that it was to be done before the card was installed and that it was not necessary afterwards. Would a new guided setup deselect channels that I can't receive without disturbing the cable card?

I should add that there are several Comcast digital service levels plus analog. Guided setup apparently only discriminates between the analog service and the digital service. I can only specify "Comcast" in the first part of setup. It then just asks me what I receive on channel 4 (I think) and uses that to differentiate. There is no way to specify a service level within the digital service.

TIA,
Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
.....Would a new guided setup deselect channels that I can't receive without disturbing the cable card?...

Repeating guided setup should not affect your CableCARDS.

Quote:
...Is there any automated way to remove channels that I don't receive?...
There is no "automated" or easier way of de-selecting (deleting) channels you don't receive. When I run guided setup, my TiVo insists that I get OTA channels from Rockford and Peoria. I wish....

Quote:
...I should add that there are several Comcast digital service levels plus analog. Guided setup apparently only discriminates between the analog service and the digital service. I can only specify "Comcast" in the first part of setup. It then just asks me what I receive on channel 4 (I think) and uses that to differentiate. There is no way to specify a service level within the digital service...
There should be a menu screen during guided setup after you designate digital cable that asks if you receive any "premium" channels.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
ewilts
Who, me?

Unfortunately, this can be manual process. For example, TiVo only knows about a Digital lineup for my location even though Digital Starter and Digital Classic are very different and both are available.

For me, I have standard Basic plus CableCARDs for my locals. It only took 5 or 10 minutes to unselect the channels I don't get though. When you get to received channel listings, hit the enter key on a channel you don't get to toggle it off. It automatically goes to the next channel. As long as the channels you don't get are consecutive (like most of mine were), you just keep hitting enter.
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts View Post
....It only took 5 or 10 minutes to unselect the channels I don't get though. When you get to received channel listings, hit the enter key on a channel you don't get to toggle it off. It automatically goes to the next channel. As long as the channels you don't get are consecutive (like most of mine were), you just keep hitting enter.
Good point, ewilts. I agree that it really doesn't take more than a few minutes to delete unwanted channels.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
MichaelK

also- a small trick for when you aren't sure and you are looking at the channels i receive menu with all the checkboxes ("gee to i get channel 693 or not...').

Hit the live tv button and tune to 693 (or whatever) and see if you get it or not. Now hit the left arrow button and the tivo will return to the channels i receive menu where you left off. It probably reverts to channel 1 but if you enter 693 then it will jump right there on the list and you will be right back were you left from the list.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
MichaelK

I wish cable would get a clue and 1) only have like 3 packages. They change the names and packages all the darn time. At any given time seems there's like 10 to pick from with 8 being very similar. 2) arrange their darn channels in a manner that makes sense. Especially now with HD versions of things it's insane some of the channel layouts they have. They have at least 999 slots availible with Digital why do they insist on jamming everything next to each other in the first 2-300 so when they add a new channel it winds up no place near others in the same tier or in any other logical manner. It's bad enough trying to pick the channels you recieve but imagine not having a tivo and needed to remember where the hec everything is all the time- yuck.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
pgoelz

Unfortunately, in this case it isn't as easy as simply running down the list and deselecting the channels I don't receive. Trouble is that because Comcast doesn't have a published channel lineup for my system, unless I tune to every single channel, I DON'T KNOW what I don't receive. So I have to enable all of them (several hundred), tune to each one of them in turn, write down whether I get it or not, and then run down the channel list and turn off the ones I don't get or want.

It would be MUCH easier of TiVo software did that for me with a cable version of the antenna channel scan. Then all I would have to do would be turn off the ones I receive but don't want.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
MichaelK

Quote:
Unfortunately, in this case it isn't as easy as simply running down the list and deselecting the channels I don't receive. Trouble is that because Comcast doesn't have a published channel lineup for my system, unless I tune to every single channel, I DON'T KNOW what I don't receive. So I have to enable all of them (several hundred), tune to each one of them in turn, write down whether I get it or not, and then run down the channel list and turn off the ones I don't get or want.

It would be MUCH easier of TiVo software did that for me with a cable version of the antenna channel scan. Then all I would have to do would be turn off the ones I receive but don't want.

Paul
for sure would be an nice idea but I'm not sure what the cablecard tells the tivo when you tune to a channel you dont receive. Not sure if it's a generic msg that could mean anything or if it's specific and says something like "this channel not authorized on this account"
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
solutionsetc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I wish cable would get a clue and 1) only have like 3 packages. They change the names and packages all the darn time.
I am convinced they do this to increase revenue. When I first ordered HD cable they said I had to have at least one digital tier. I asked for the cheapest and at the time it was "Digital Basic".

So a year or two later they cancel "Digital Basic" and grandfather those subscriptions to "Digital Plus". Now my bill still says "Digital Basic", but it is priced at "Digital Plus", and it has gone up about $15-20 over the last year or so.

Their cheapest digital tier is now "Digital Starter"; so why didn't they grandfather my old "Digital Basic" to "Digital Starter"? They say because I would have lost a "couple" of channels. So, I have been paying $15/month more for the better part of the last year for a couple of channels I have never watched.
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
andyf

Quote:

Paul
Did you try this page?

http://www.comcast.net/tv/tv-listings/

I only recently found this and it is up to date for my area.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
jlb
NCC-1701-D

It doesn't take that long. I have just Comcast lifeline (locals plus their HDs and pretty much nothing else). The only guide available was the digital basic I think (in order for it to see the 804/805/etc local HDs).

It only took me about 5 minutes (or less) to deselect everything else.

The only negative of this situation is that when it does the download of guide data, IIRC, it still pulls the whole guide but then just displays what you have checked for channels.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
The only negative of this situation is that when it does the download of guide data, IIRC, it still pulls the whole guide but then just displays what you have checked for channels.
I don't believe it indexes the unchecked channels when it does it's indexing though.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I don't believe it indexes the unchecked channels when it does it's indexing though.
That's what it looks like to me.

Search and wishlists do not display (or record) results from unchecked channels. Suggestions do not record from unchecked channels either, at least once the guide data expires. Under past software versions, I've seen suggestions record from unchecked channels up to 10-12 days after they were unchecked.

Guide display and search also seems to be faster when more channels are unchecked, although this change doesn't take effect immediately. I think you've got to wait for the existing guide data on those [previously checked] channels to expire.

Personally, I don't see how unchecking channels is such a big deal. It doesn't really matter what channels you receive. You uncheck those you will never watch. My FiOS lineup contains hundreds of channels, but I unchecked all but ~100 that I might watch (or record from), with 40-50 of those set as favorites. That took me about five minutes.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I wish cable would get a clue ... imagine not having a tivo and needed to remember where the heck everything is all the time- yuck.
Also be glad you have a TiVo where you can set up received and favorite channels and see only those in the guide.

You can set up favorite channels with some limit and jump one to the next in sequence but there's no way to page through them.

Comcast for one seems to think that if they show you all the 599 channles you don't get and don't want you''ll surrender and order them.

I got a laugh because my TiVo just told me I now have a new HD INFO channel. I looked in saw that if I had a Moto-Comcarp DVR I could save as many as 50 searches!
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Comcast for one seems to think that if they show you all the 599 channles you don't get and don't want you''ll surrender and order them.
This is a fairly standard practice.

As a general rule, cable company boxes do not permit one to remove channels from the guide. The 500+ channel guide is always displayed, and the "favorites" feature highlights favorite channels and/or "jumps" from one favorite to the next.

Verizon FiOS is one of the few cable providers with a box that allows you to display a guide with favorites and nothing else. However, even they don't allow you to remove (uncheck) the channels you don't want for the purposes of search.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
solutionsetc

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
You can set up favorite channels with some limit and jump one to the next in sequence but there's no way to page through them.
Could you possibly elaborate on this? It sounds as though you are saying you can jump between favorites even though your guide is displaying all channels.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
Could you possibly elaborate on this? It sounds as though you are saying you can jump between favorites even though your guide is displaying all channels.
He's referring to iGuide software on Comcast's Motorola DVRs. They always display 500+ channels, but pressing FAV skips to the next favorite channel in the guide.

With the TiVo, of course you can hide all the channels you do not want to see. You simply press ENTER from the guide and then choose whether you want to display all channels, channels I receive, or favorites. Channels you uncheck are always skipped with channel +/-; that's why it makes sense to only check those channels you will actually watch.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
solutionsetc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
He's referring to iGuide software on Comcast's Motorola DVRs. They always display 500+ channels, but pressing FAV skips to the next favorite channel in the guide.
Ahh yes... been there, done that. Although I do recall more recent builds of iGuide do allow you to just view favs. Unfortunately, you had to implement that view each time you entered the guide (the setting didn't stick).

Quote:
With the TiVo, of course you can hide all the channels you do not want to see. You simply press ENTER from the guide and then choose whether you want to display all channels, channels I receive, or favorites. Channels you uncheck are always skipped with channel +/-; that's why it makes sense to only check those channels you will actually watch.
Of course. I wish TiVo would offer a single button key toggle in the guide (kinda like they have for sort and groups in the NP list) for switching between received/favorites and Live/Grid. Just too many button presses as it is now.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
jrm01

I had a similar problem here in Pittsburgh. There were only two options in Guided Setup, Pittsburgh Digital and Pittsburgh Suburbs Digital. However, my local area had a limited headend capacity and didn't get all the channels listed in either. I talked to Comcast and they set up a third option for their lineup "Pittsburgh Ross Digital" and provided that info to Trib Media Services. Now when I run Guided Setup I get all three options and can pick the correct one.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote