TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #271
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

I think this is definitely doable, only problem is getting the networks to implement it and be consistent.
I think that was the problem that pony or bullwinkle pointed out when they spoke of it. Basically that they were ready to implement such a thing on their end but you would have to get the networks to buy in.

at some point maybe their can be a standard way that all DVR's could be notified. The networks seem not to dislike DVR's anymore.

Another way to do it would be for MLB, NFL, etc to do it. having one person watch 15 games a day and injecting the trigger is no big deal. I think MLB even has a group that watches all the games on game days just in case they need to do homerun replays. Those guys could send a "game over" signal when each of the games is over.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #272
DjMikeWatt

As far as the ads that appear when you pause, I really don't understand the whining here. I mean, as far as places to put ads go, this it at the TOP of my list. I'm pausing because I'm NOT watching, right?? I mean, I don't pause to stare at the screen... I need to hit the bathroom - I pause and go to the bathroom... why does it matter if a small "Find out more about..." note pops up when I do that? I really think that people are just way too whiny... WAY too whiny.

On a side-note, I always thought it would be cool if you could chain two TiVos together as a Master/Slave. That way, you'd still really only have "one" TiVo, but the Master could use the extra tuners and hard drive on the slave to allow you to record up to 4 things at once. Just a thought... that would make TiVo REALLY stand out above any of its competition.
DjMikeWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #273
Karmavore

While I grant that OP comes off a bit whiny, I second (Third? 40,000th?) the sentiment. I perceive the avoidance of intrusive ads as one of the primary benefits of my TiVo. To replace one kind of ad for another reduces my perceived value considerably. To be sure, I'm a 7-year TiVo vet and I'm not going anywhere, but I hope the pause ads are the end of the trend and not an ominous new escalation.

I also use pause because I want to see if the guy's foot is on the line, I want to read what the tiny newspaper clipping in Lost says, or because I'm checking out Vanessa Rousso. TiVo used to be better at this than it is now. I'm getting less service for my money than I used to.
Karmavore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #274
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjMikeWatt View Post
As far as the ads that appear when you pause, I really don't understand the whining here. I mean, as far as places to put ads go, this it at the TOP of my list. I'm pausing because I'm NOT watching, right?? I mean, I don't pause to stare at the screen....
+1

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #275
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmavore View Post
I also use pause because I want to see if the guy's foot is on the line, I want to read what the tiny newspaper clipping in Lost says, or because I'm checking out Vanessa Rousso. TiVo used to be better at this than it is now.
How did you see all that stuff with the progress bar in the way?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #276
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
How did you see all that stuff with the progress bar in the way?
by hitting the clear button.. the same way it works now with the added ads
Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #277
fallingwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Buy (a Funai Maggy) and tell us how great it is.
I did and it's OK, even with its known shortcoming. Normal pitched audio at 1.3X FF (coupled with a 6 hour rolling recording buffer, any part of which can be edited and turned into a DVD) is useful.

I've got an old Panny DMR-E85H which does audio at 1.3X FF, but when new it cost more. The Funai Maggy is a "simple DVDR, like a VCR on steroids, but (it's) perfect for me and Joe the Plumber! "
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #278
Detonate

I had Tivo a long time with DirecTV and fell in love.

Then DirecTV did me wrong by dropping Tivo and I was stuck with the DirecTV DVR for past year or so....

But finally I just got two Tivo HD's and Verizon FIOS.

And what do I find?
My Tivo constantly reboots and I'm on my 2nd defective unit for the bedroom.
Ads everywhere.
Channels are pixelated and dropping out, even with a 100% signal, and audio drops.

What the hell happened to Tivo????
Detonate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #279
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonate View Post

And what do I find?
Ads everywhere.
Channels are pixelated and dropping out, even with a 100% signal, and audio drops.

Did you see the Known Issues section in my signature?

The Using TiVo section also tells you how to eliminate the pause ads.

Last edited by bkdtv : 05-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #280
net114
Tivolitic Guru

Well, I think I've read through all the posts, and I don't think the main problem is with the ads - I think the main problem is that this is not how a subscription business model has so far been used.

For example, people subscribe to HBO, and there are no commercials in the middle of the shows. They feel pay = no commercials/ads.

Many on this forum have said before that Tivo's PR really sucks. Why can't they get the word out about how much better they are? Why do some people call their cable DVR "Tivo" and have no idea that its not one? AND....

part of PR is also communicating to your current customers. How about a CEO statement directly addressing these type of ads? Just tell everyone - "we need to make more money to survive" or whatever. Or, let people pay a few extra dollars to avoid the ads.

I find them annoying, but not as annoying as getting thrown out of my show during the emergency broadcast crap. Still, I'd like a polite message downloaded to my menu (which is obviously very possible based on the situation!!) telling me why as a subscriber I'm seeing ads. I know it may seem obvious, but sometimes that's all it takes.

Again, people have gotten used to subscription = no commercials. Tivo needs to communicate and tell its base why that's not the model they're using.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #281
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by net114 View Post

For example, people subscribe to HBO, and there are no commercials in the middle of the shows. They feel pay = no commercials/ads.
On the other hand, every magazine you can subscribe to is laden with adds, some of which give off scents. So subscription costs + ad revenue is nothing new.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #282
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I'd like a polite message downloaded to my menu (which is obviously very possible based on the situation!!) telling me why as a subscriber I'm seeing ads. I know it may seem obvious, but sometimes that's all it takes.

Again, people have gotten used to subscription = no commercials. Tivo needs to communicate and tell its base why that's not the model they're using.
Why now? The TiVo CEOs have said publicly there are, and will be, ads literally hundreds of times in the past 12 years. TiVo has had ads for over 8 years now; it should be very obvious that ads are part of the TiVo business model. A message now seems pointless; it's not telling us anything that isn't very obvious to any TiVo owner.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #283
samo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Why now? The TiVo CEOs have said publicly there are, and will be, ads literally hundreds of times in the past 12 years.
TiVo went public at the end of 1999. Could not possibly be more than 9.5 years. And indeed, TiVo mentioned advertisement revenue in IPO. But let me ask you, do you always read IPO documents before you buy CE gadget?
Do you always search web for CEO statements before you buy anything?
samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #284
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo View Post
TiVo went public at the end of 1999. Could not possibly be more than 9.5 years. And indeed, TiVo mentioned advertisement revenue in IPO. But let me ask you, do you always read IPO documents before you buy CE gadget?
A better question is does anyone EVER search the web for CEO statements before they buy something?
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #285
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
A better question is does anyone EVER search the web for CEO statements before they buy something?
Sure: stock
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #286
MickeS

Quote:
And people pay for different cable tiers, all have channels that are packed with commercials.

Subscriptions along with ad-revenue is not a new business model.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #287
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonate View Post
I had Tivo a long time with DirecTV and fell in love.

Then DirecTV did me wrong by dropping Tivo and I was stuck with the DirecTV DVR for past year or so....

And what do I find?
Ads everywhere.

not sure if the known issues link specifially talks about it- but there's an issue specific to fios that the signal is too hot and needs to be adjusted. Verizon is aware and will send you what you need if you ask. Search some on these boards and you will find all the info you need.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #288
MichaelK

Quote:
Well, I think I've read through all the posts, and I don't think the main problem is with the ads - I think the main problem is that this is not how a subscription business model has so far been used.

Many on this forum have said before that Tivo's PR really sucks. Why can't they get the word out about how much better they are? Why do some people call their cable DVR "Tivo" and have no idea that its not one? AND....

part of PR is also communicating to your current customers. How about a CEO statement directly addressing these type of ads? Just tell everyone - "we need to make more money to survive" or whatever. Or, let people pay a few extra dollars to avoid the ads.

I find them annoying, but not as annoying as getting thrown out of my show during the emergency broadcast crap. Still, I'd like a polite message downloaded to my menu (which is obviously very possible based on the situation!!) telling me why as a subscriber I'm seeing ads. I know it may seem obvious, but sometimes that's all it takes.

i get what you are saying about subscriptions but basically it only holds true for the cable movie channels. you pay for all the other channels on cable and they all have ads. Even the movie channels load up the extra space between movies with ads for their own channel.

as above magazines and newspapers are the same.

Satellite radio you pay for and some of those channels have ads.

and on and on.

But i get your point that people equate it to HBO. It's a perception thing.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #289
MichaelK

Quote:

so maybe the ceo didn't make a statement or no one read it- but tivo has been using ads in the UI for like 8 years now. Hec since before that the I posted a link earlier about a bitch fest about ads as earlyu as 2001 if my memory serves...
Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #290
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
shhh! ads are a big secret on the TiVo interface - these are not the ads you are looking for.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #291
samo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
so maybe the ceo didn't make a statement or no one read it- but tivo has been using ads in the UI for like 8 years now. Hec since before that the I posted a link earlier about a bitch fest about ads as earlyu as 2001 if my memory serves...
2001 was "Yellow star of shame" bitch fest. Some people even said at a time that it was slippery slope.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #292
bicker
Gruff

If you think you can put out a better DVR, then please do so. Many of us appreciate how the investors in TiVo has essentially subsidized our entertainment over the last decade, so we'd be more than happy to have someone else do so going forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #293
samo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Many of us appreciate how the investors in TiVo has essentially subsidized our entertainment over the last decade, so we'd be more than happy to have someone else do so going forward.
Love it! To date, nobody summarized TiVo business model better than you did in one sentence!
Sadly, it is not just TiVo or dot.coms that use these business models and the rest of us just love free or cheap stuff we get as a result. Nothing down mortgages, 12 month no interest credit card transfers and a free cheese in a mousetrap come to mind.