TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
steveinville

tivo connection via laptop and public wifi

For a few months I will be living in an RV at a "campground" where there is public wifi. I will not have a hard-wired phone line. Can I connection my TIVO series 2 to the laptop physically (with ethernet cable? USB cable?) and get my TIVO to talk to the internet, for programming purposes, that way? Would I have to leave the laptop logged in through the ISP all the time for this to work, or just certain times of day? Thanks for the help.
steveinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
pdonoghu

Assuming you have a Windows laptop, you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICs). Then connect the Tivo to the laptop's Ethernet port using an Ethernet crossover, not the more common patch cable. USB will not work. Once you have it setup, the laptop will provide the Internet connection for the Tivo. You can connect it every few days to get guide updates.
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
janry

I never owned a Series 2 but aren't they made to accept a wireless adapter?
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
steveinville

thanks

Thanks for the info...the "crossover" is apparently key. Yes, the series 2 will use a usb wifi adapter, but it's the public wifi that creates the challenge.
steveinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
RonDawg

A couple of notes:

1. All Series 2 models except the Series 2 Dual Tuner (model 649) will require a USB to Ethernet adapter. List of adapters known to work with TiVo

2. When using free public WiFi systems, many of them will redirect you to their home page and request that you agree to their Terms of Service before they will let you access the internet. Some will let you remain connected as long as you don't log out of the system, others will require a renewal every 24 hours.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
alansh

The log-in page is probably the sticking point with using wireless directly on the TiVo. There's no way to get it to log in.

TiVo does its updates more or less at random during the day and night (once a day), but you can force a connection at any time from the Phone & Network menu. You can probably get away with updating as little as once a week -- program guide data goes out two weeks. You won't get any late changes of course.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 AM   #7
janry

Does Devicescape work with TiVo in public WiFi spots?
janry is offline   Reply With Quote