TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
FilmCritic3000
Registered User
 
FilmCritic3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 2,273
How I Met Your Mother - 04/27/09 - "The Three Days Rule"

Wow, no thread yet?

In any case, I love how Barney and Marshall's machinations kept spiraling and spiraling until they were out of control.

And again, I say to the producers - decent job hiding Cobie's pregnancy, though nowhere near as good of a job as the one they did to hide Alyson's.

"Tonight you're I.M. Pei-ing!"

Huh huh huh huh huh huh....
__________________
"Art is a house that tries to be haunted." - Emily Dickinson
FilmCritic3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Clue: "When I got your mother's number I called her right away". Ok, not a game changing clue, but there wasn't much else in the episode.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Bardman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Glassboro, NJ
Posts: 230
Barney's whole discussion about how the three day rule was started by Jesus was hilarious (and timely since we just past Easter)
__________________
No live Tivos any more
DirecTV Genie HR34
3 mini-genie clients
H24 receiver
HR21 receiver
Bardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,362
TC CLUB MEMBER
I found the first few minutes somewhat entertaining, but about the time they brought Stan into it, things just seemed to go downhill from there and I didn't get much out of the rest of the show.

Then I found myself thinking, "You know, I just don't really find this show very amusing anymore." I can't quite put my finger on when it took a downward turn for me, but I now feel more like I'm doing my time by watching it than watching it because I like it.

OK, reveal the whole "Mother" thing and I can delete the SP.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,197
I thought it was pretty good, especially with Marshall repeatedly coming to the realization, "Why are we trying to have sex with Ted?"

IMO, the name of this show is stupid and distracts people from the real show, which is simply the five main characters. Everyone is always so focused on the Mother that it causes them to lose focus on what's really important.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Everyone is always so focused on the Mother that it causes them to lose focus on what's really important.
Yes, that's true...or...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,362
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Everyone is always so focused on the Mother that it causes them to lose focus on what's really important.
For the record - I'm not fixated on the mother aspect at all. I just don't really find the show very entertaining any more. I don't know if the gags are getting old or predictable or what - I can't put my finger on it. It's an OK diversion, but it's no longer 'must see' for me.

My mention of "reveal the mother" was more a matter of "resolve the one thing that seems to have been a backstory since the beginning so I can feel better about giving up on it because it's just not that great anymore".
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Hersheytx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 377
You could say the same thing about MASH when it was showing. GOSH>>>could we just end the Korean war and get home. Its been going on so long now.

LOL. I always thought the premise of the show was a bit foolish. Even seeing the kids at the beginning really bothers me when the show gets really rauchy. Heck, how could someone relate these stories to their adolescent kids without getting embarrassed. (Masterbation theme?)

I started to like this show more and more. I love Neil Patrick Harris. He is a god. But I also find the other characters up to the level of writing. I never felt this was a must watch show, but I do keep it recording on my DVR.
Hersheytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Clue: "When I got your mother's number I called her right away". Ok, not a game changing clue, but there wasn't much else in the episode.
I think that should lay to rest once in for all that Colby Smothers isn't the mother (her character of course, I am having a brain freeze this morning)
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Vendikarr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
OK, reveal the whole "Mother" thing and I can delete the SP.
Forget the mother. I'm still watching waiting for Marshall to give Barney his last two slaps.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I think that should lay to rest once in for all that Colby Smothers isn't the mother
How did Ted end up going out with Robin?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
How did Ted end up going out with Robin?
C'mon, you're using circle logic because you want that to happen. The Ted/Robin thing has been played out.....twice. That isn't going to happen, that was a hint it won't It also seems odd that he would call her ROBIN in front of his kids, not Mom, considering that he's referenced "your mother" multiple times.

Anyway, I agree with the poster above, lets get the reveal, because frankly, the show is getting stale, and they are running out of good plots. It used to be a must watch, but now it's a I'll watch when I get around to it.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday
 
pdhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 12,241
Wasn't this week supposed to be the goat-in-the-apartment payoff?
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 23,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCritic3000 View Post
And again, I say to the producers - decent job hiding Cobie's pregnancy, though nowhere near as good of a job as the one they did to hide Alyson's.
how about them not hiding Marshall's pregnancy? the man has put on about 100 pounds!

Robin has been called "aunt Robin" to the kids too many times...she's not the mother...
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
C'mon, you're using circle logic because you want that to happen.
No I'm asking because you say that the calling right away line proves Robin isn't the mother. That suggests that Ted did not call Robin right away (or a phone call wasn't involved). Right? That's the only way that calling mom right away proves it's not Robin.

Since you said that, I was wondering how Ted and Robin went on their first date. I don't remember, but you must if you're positive that Ted didn't call Robin right away after getting her number.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Wasn't this week supposed to be the goat-in-the-apartment payoff?
I'm almost certain that goat was (will be) in May.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
barbeedoll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I found the first few minutes somewhat entertaining, but about the time they brought Stan into it, things just seemed to go downhill from there and I didn't get much out of the rest of the show.

Then I found myself thinking, "You know, I just don't really find this show very amusing anymore." I can't quite put my finger on when it took a downward turn for me, but I now feel more like I'm doing my time by watching it than watching it because I like it.

OK, reveal the whole "Mother" thing and I can delete the SP.
I think having Lily not a part of this episode changed the dynamics. Hope she'll be back soon, even if the attempts to disguise the pregnancy are lame.

Barbeedoll
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
No I'm asking because you say that the calling right away line proves Robin isn't the mother. That suggests that Ted did not call Robin right away (or a phone call wasn't involved). Right? That's the only way that calling mom right away proves it's not Robin.

Since you said that, I was wondering how Ted and Robin went on their first date. I don't remember, but you must if you're positive that Ted didn't call Robin right away after getting her number.
The fact that he said in the first episode of the show "That's how I met your Aunt Robin" proves Robin's not the mother. There have been probably dozens of other items that prove that Robin's not the mother. They only created a Robin/Ted relationship because people felt the two characters had great chemistry.

Robin's not the mother. How that fact needs to be proven 4 years into the show is truly befuddling to me.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday
 
pdhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 12,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
I'm almost certain that goat was (will be) in May.
"The Goat" aired last year on 4/28. The setup is that Ted was remembering (his?) birthday, and at the end realized it wasn't his birthday in 2008 but in 2009, in which he was sharing the apartment with Robin and they had the goat.

Usually they're more precise about executing their setups (cf. "Slapsgiving") but I guess it could slide a week.

In the other thread someone observed that Ted's birthday is April 25.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Robin's not the mother. How that fact needs to be proven 4 years into the show is truly befuddling to me.
I'm befuddled, too. I never said that Robin might be the mother. I asked "How did Ted end up going out with Robin?" Seems like a pretty straightforward question---I don't understand all the confusion.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Wasn't this week supposed to be the goat-in-the-apartment payoff?
I was expecting the goat payoff this week as well. In fact, I saw "The Goat" in reruns a week or two ago, noted the date, and was actually surprised it wasn't last week (April 20).
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I was expecting the goat payoff this week as well. In fact, I saw "The Goat" in reruns a week or two ago, noted the date, and was actually surprised it wasn't last week (April 20).
We saw the goat again---right? And wasn't there a date on that flash-forward?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
We saw the goat again---right? And wasn't there a date on that flash-forward?
No, as pdhenry stated, The Goat aired on 4/28/08 (but supposedly took place on Ted's 30th birthday, 4/25/08). He then remembered at the end of the episode that it wasn't his 30th birthday, it was his 31st when Robin was living there. So that means there should have been an episode sometime around 4/25/09 resolving that plot point.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
No, as pdhenry stated, The Goat aired on 4/28/08 (but supposedly took place on Ted's 30th birthday, 4/25/08).
We definitely saw the goat again. This year, I think. Just for a brief glimpse. And there was a date of May (something) 2009.

Edit: It was in "The Naked Man".

TiVo discussion thread of "The Naked Man" (and goat sighting) here.

Last edited by Amnesia : 04-30-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
Ekims
Don't care anymore
 
Ekims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Yeah, bout that..........
Posts: 7,206
Just started watching, but wasn't Ted's date with Robin the one where they do it in just a few minutes? Have dinner, dessert, a show and all that in a cab ride down a block of stops?
Ekims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #26
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekims View Post
Just started watching, but wasn't Ted's date with Robin the one where they do it in just a few minutes? Have dinner, dessert, a show and all that in a cab ride down a block of stops?
That wasn't his first date. His first date with her was in the first episode.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekims View Post
Just started watching, but wasn't Ted's date with Robin the one where they do it in just a few minutes? Have dinner, dessert, a show and all that in a cab ride down a block of stops?
No, that was Ted's first date with the Sarah Chalke character (forgot the character's name), the one who was his doctor and refused to date her patients. She and Ted got engaged, he was going to move to NJ for her, and then her ex-husband came to the wedding and they rekindled their romance at the same time Ted was rekindling his with Robin. Wedding averted.

Ted's first date with Robin was when he stole the blue french horn for her and told her he loved her, but I don't remember how they met or came to be on that first date.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |