TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #241
steffen707

My tivo with the 2TB has worked flawlessly except for the s03 error that occured, and it telling me that the programming was running out.

The tivo now with the original 160gig is working just fine, it connected and downloaded the guide info on its initial setup just fine, and i'm even able to watch some HD channels, which is odd. i don't have the charter adapter plugged into the usb port either right now.
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #242
steffen707

On a thread i started about my issues somebody suggested trying a kickstart 57 to get out of the guide loop i'm in. I'm cloning the bad drive right now with dd_rescue. Probably will be done tomorrow night. Then I'll have 2 drives to screw around with to see if I can get out of this stupid guide loop.

If the drive that's getting the s03 error is unplugged from the tivo for a whole day, wouldn't that simulate the same thing as unplugging the cable company adapter for 4 hours like people have reported to work well? Does unplugging it for 4 hours make the s03 go away, or only stop it from occuring if you havn't gotten it already.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #243
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
My tivo with the 2TB has worked flawlessly except for the s03 error that occured, and it telling me that the programming was running out.

The tivo now with the original 160gig is working just fine, it connected and downloaded the guide info on its initial setup just fine, and i'm even able to watch some HD channels, which is odd. i don't have the charter adapter plugged into the usb port either right now.
Probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to see if you can get the 160 set up to use the cable cards and the TA before taking it back out.

If you have (at least temporarily) a spare drive big enough, go ahead and

dd

that other drive over for safety's sake, and then we can start trying stuff.

And by tomorrow maybe my headache will let me think more clearly.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #244
unitron

Quote:
On a thread i started about my issues somebody suggested trying a kickstart 57 to get out of the guide loop i'm in. I'm cloning the bad drive right now with dd_rescue. Probably will be done tomorrow night. Then I'll have 2 drives to screw around with to see if I can get out of this stupid guide loop.

If the drive that's getting the s03 error is unplugged from the tivo for a whole day, wouldn't that simulate the same thing as unplugging the cable company adapter for 4 hours like people have reported to work well? Does unplugging it for 4 hours make the s03 go away, or only stop it from occuring if you havn't gotten it already.
We appear to be 2 ships stumbling past each other in the dark, to mangle a metaphor.

I think the idea is to have the Tuning Adapter off while the TiVo runs so it can complete Garbage Collection (GC on the system info page), which isn't going to happen on a drive that's not hooked up.

Finish the

dd

process, we'll talk more later.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #245
steffen707

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
We appear to be 2 ships stumbling past each other in the dark, to mangle a metaphor.

I think the idea is to have the Tuning Adapter off while the TiVo runs so it can complete Garbage Collection (GC on the system info page), which isn't going to happen on a drive that's not hooked up.

Finish the

dd

process, we'll talk more later.
Ha! Well i'll post back once the dd process is completed.
I'm just glad to be able to watch some olympics, and luckily i have the next several days off of work.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #246
unitron

If one can get through the menus to get to it,

Clear program information & To Do List

is suggested by some as a way to deal with an S03 error.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #247
steffen707

Quote:
If one can get through the menus to get to it,

Clear program information & To Do List

is suggested by some as a way to deal with an S03 error.
lol, can't get out of the guided setup to do a clear program info and to do list. Will fix bootpage on winmfs work? I'm going to try that anyways, and let you guys know how it goes. I tried a bunch of the kickstart things to get out of guided setup and it ended up bricking my dd_rescue copy drive. So now it's dd_rescuing again, and tomorrow morning i'll try winmfs fix bootpage, might even try to backup the bootpage from my original 160gig drive and then restore it onto the guided setup looped drive with the s03 error.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #248
unitron

Quote:
lol, can't get out of the guided setup to do a clear program info and to do list. Will fix bootpage on winmfs work? I'm going to try that anyways, and let you guys know how it goes. I tried a bunch of the kickstart things to get out of guided setup and it ended up bricking my dd_rescue copy drive. So now it's dd_rescuing again, and tomorrow morning i'll try winmfs fix bootpage, might even try to backup the bootpage from my original 160gig drive and then restore it onto the guided setup looped drive with the s03 error.
However, some future searcher may see that and avoid the trap into which you seem to have fallen.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #249
steffen707

Quote:
However, some future searcher may see that and avoid the trap into which you seem to have fallen.
VERY VERY TRUE, DO NOT TRY DOING GUIDED SETUP IF YOU START HAVING THESE PROBLEMS OR AN S03 ERROR.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #250
PAP

Thanks so much everyone. I was getting no info, s03 errors. Did 57 jumpstart w/o help. Did reset of programs/to do w/o help. Finally did reset of channel guide and that fixed it! Was ready to order new hard drive.

I had been getting no suggestions recordings for months and then unable to connect messages as my symptoms.

Again, you guys rock, thank you so much!
PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #251
jkeese01

I still get the S03 error on my Series 3 box every few weeks. Sometimes the program schedule is loaded for the next 12 days but the season passes and To Do List do not show anything scheduled. I've found the fix is to unplugging the Cisco STA1520 Tuner Adapter for a few hours and force a "Connect to the TiVo service now" while the Tuner Adapter is unplugged. Is this a problems with the new TiVo boxes if your cable provider requires a Turner Adapter?
jkeese01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #252
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Maybe twice a year, my Tivo HD (Model 652) fails to complete GC for a week and I get the will-run-out-of-guide-data message. All it takes is disconnecting the TA USB cable for a half hour. GC completes and the message goes away.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #253
ravingfans

Guided Setup Loop S03 fix

I'm posting this in all the threads related to Guided Setup loops as I have not seen this advice anywhere on the nets:

How to get out of Guided Setup:
1. Prerequisite--have to have either a serial cable connection to get a shell or a telnet connection to get a shell on the TiVo--there are plenty of resources to show how to do these options elsewhere.
2. disconnect the Tuning Adapter and unplug all cable cards
3. let the TiVo boot up to the Guided Setup entry page, but don't click select with the remote
4. telnet in to the TiVo (or access through the serial link
5. type (without quotes):
dbgc-mcp -fg-gc
this initiates a garbage collection, and since the Tuning Adapter and CableCards are not connected, it does not distract the TiVo from completing GC

6. WAIT for this command to complete. Took mine several hours
7. once dbgc-mcp has completed, go through Guided Setup and it should now complete

Notes: I was having trouble getting fakecall.tcl to work in rc.sysinit.author--it ran fine from the command prompt, but did not bypass the guided setup for me, so perhaps I wasn't doing something right there. Nevertheless, fakecall.tcl is still called from my rc.sysinit.author file, but it was having no effect, so I don't think it played any role in the solution above.

I welcome comments back. This fix does not correct the S03 problem itself, just gets you past the Guided Setup loop. It has been 3.5 years since I had the S03 problem, so now am retracing my steps. My solution at that time was to increase swap space to 2GB, so I think that fended off the problem for a long time.
ravingfans is offline   Reply With Quote