TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #151
VinceA

After your machine has been up for a day or two, check to see if the GC date is advancing. If it isn't reset the TA, give it a day and see if that fixes the problem. If not, try resetting it again. It took me about three attempts to get things right again. Currently my TiVoHD is acting nice & normal, updating guide data, recording suggestions, etc.
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #152
mxc

What is interesting is that the program guide as well as the to-do list show programming two weeks into the future. The message now says that program info will run out 5/27 (which is tomorrow). I'm waiting to see if the machine will keep recording.
mxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #153
VinceA

If it doesn't just restart the machine. That would reset the System Info date on my TiVoHD when I have this problem.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #154
mxc

Yes, restarting the machine fixes the problem, but only temporarily. After seven days i'm back where where i started from.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #155
VinceA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxc View Post
Yes, restarting the machine fixes the problem, but only temporarily. After seven days i'm back where where i started from.
Now that you've got a full load of data, try the TA reset stuff.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #156
folly

Ta

When you people talk about TA, are you referring to something like the DTA which comcast supplied to its customers during the analog to digital transition? Could it also refer to a digital cable box? I have the same symptions being discussed in this thread, but I don't have a DTA ( or TA?) attached to my series 2 unit. I do have a digital cable box attached to one of the 2 channels. Or am I just missing the point altogether?

Last edited by folly : 05-27-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Accidentally sent before completing
folly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 AM   #157
VinceA

Nope, we're talking about a tuning adapter which you need to tune SDV cable channels on a CableCard TiVo, typically a Cisco 1520
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #158
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly View Post
When you people talk about TA, are you referring to something like the DTA which comcast supplied to its customers during the analog to digital transition? Could it also refer to a digital cable box? I have the same symptions being discussed in this thread, but I don't have a DTA ( or TA?) attached to my series 2 unit. I do have a digital cable box attached to one of the 2 channels. Or am I just missing the point altogether?
What VinceA said. Also, if I understand it correctly, unlike a DTA or cable box, a TA or tuning adapter does not actually tune anything. The Tivo tells the TA that you want to watch a particular program/channel. Then the TA sends a signal upstream to tell the headend that you want to watch that particular Switched Digital Video program/channel. The headend places the program on one of several different frequencies and tells the TA what channel that is. The TA then tells the Tivo which channel to tune to.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #159
mxc

Resetting the TA didn't change anything. The message i get now says the program info has run out. Yet the program guide gets daily updates. When i go to Find Programs, i get the message about program info having run out. Also, when looking at a particular program, Get a Season Passion option is not available.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #160
aswhitey

I'm having the same problem. It has been super annoying. I too have restarted my TiVo and this works for a week before I get the message again. I have also reset my TA and this hasn't seemed to help. This started happening to me about 2 months ago. I've had this TiVo and TA for over a year and this has never happened until now. This seems like a TiVo update that wasn't good. I've run into those before. TiVo, please help. I need a permanent solution not a workaround. I've looked around and see that others are having the same problem. Please help.
aswhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #161
VinceA

How many times have you reset your TA? I had to reset it three or four times with a day or so between each reset to get things to work 'right'. Bothersome? Yes... but things stay OK for a long while afterwards so it's sort of worth it.

Should TiVo do more research into this? I think so.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #162
pbakers

My TIVO has been doing this for over a year now, and I just ignore it. The date it says it is running out of guide data comes and goes and the TIVO just keeps on going like nothing happened. The message goes away for a week or two, then comes back. I do not reset my TIVO or TA and I have never missing a scheduled recording or seen any bad effects from this. Yes the message is annoying, but I have learned to just tune it out and everything still records with no problems. I just chalk this up to a minor annoyance, IMHO.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #163
VinceA

Had a blackout last week and the problem has returned. Still trying to get the TA reset to work.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #164
Morfious
Happy Series 3 user

I must have done the dance just right. Seems like my TiVo is doing the GC thing maybe 1-2x a week. And so far 3+ weeks without the your guide data message. I have been keeping my deleted items list as small as possible. I am also convinced that it is the TA that is causing the problems.

I will have a good test to see if it's the TA. I will be moving in a month and already have the FIOS scheduled for install on day one. Goodbye TA. I will see if the switch to FIOS will take care of the messages.
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #165
marspinball

It is the TA causing all the issues. My theory is when it is first installed TiVo either accepts the TA or Tivo gets corrupt somehow.

Last February I upgraded my three Tivos (1 premiere and 2 HD's) with 2TB hard drives (WD20EURS). All worked perfectly prior to the upgrade and never had any guide data issues. Additionally all had suggestions turned on and they all recorded suggestions daily.

For over a month they all worked flawlessly. In March we got a message from Cox (San Diego) that we will need tuning adapters. Ordered three TA’s and installed them. Two of my Tivos continued to work perfectly. The third Tivo, an HD, continued to give me messages for a couple of days that a tuning adapter was installed and asked me confirm like it did when the TA is initially installed. After that stopped I thought everything was OK but then noticed that this Tivo stopped recording suggestions even though suggestions was still turned on. Nothing I could do would get suggestions to start working.

Then about 2-3 weeks later I started to get the running out of program data error on this unit. The only way to get this message to go away was to reboot it. This continued till June.

In June I took the hard drive out and copied the original drive info back from drive that came with the unit like I did when I upgraded it. I then hooked it back up without the tuning adapter. The Tivo booted up and started working right away, it upgraded itself with the newest version of software and since June I have not had one guide data error and it's been recording suggestions daily. The unit has been working 100%. At this moment I don't need the TA since I don't watch any channels that require it.

So at this time I have two Tivos with TA’s working with no issues and one problematic Tivo working 100% after I re-imaged the drive and without the TA installed.
marspinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #166
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspinball View Post
After that stopped I thought everything was OK but then noticed that this Tivo stopped recording suggestions even though suggestions was still turned on. Nothing I could do would get suggestions to start working.
The cable company can disable speculative (suggestions) recordings if you use a tuning adapter. You can search the forum for more info on this "feature".
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #167
VinceA

Yes, but would that feature stop the System Info date from advancing or Garbage Collection from happening?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #168
eaayoung

Can't remember the last time I posted about this problem, but my S3 is doing it again by telling I need to update the guide. Tivo suggestions are not being recorded (yes..., it turned on) and the delete folder is up to 136 and dates back to 7/26/11. If I recall, I had to reduce the amount of suggestion or the delete folder to get the S3 back to normal. Will reboot and delete items from the deleted folder. Wish Tivo would fix this issue. Mine is connected to a Cisco TA. I really don't it part of the problem since I've experience few problems with TA once the initial were worked out.

Last edited by eaayoung : 08-06-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Add TA to post.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #169
tootal2

Had to reboot mt tivo again today to fix this problem, why wont tivo fix this problem
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #170
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Had to reboot mt tivo again today to fix this problem, why wont tivo fix this problem
Mine has been doing the same thing since early July 2011.
A hard reboot or restart system command seems to make it happy, for a while.

So, is this a "TiVo" or tuning adapter problem?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #171
James285

Arrow Running out of data with successful connection to Tivo

Hi,
I am also getting a running out of data message (the last day was yesterday).
I have a Series 2 machine (Tivo Model TCD24008A with a second HD installed years ago). The box has been offline for over one year.
I connect to the service and download data but, it does not update. It appears that I have a S03 error, it fails in the loading stage.
I ran the smart tests and I only got pass the Initial State. Both my Primary and Secondary Pass. However, when it goes to the Short Test, the SMART test shows NoRead for both the Primary and the Secondary.
My guess is that the test cannot read the drive.
I also observed that I cannot delete anything but, I could do a recording (this was before I discovered I had a problem).
The box boots up and I am able to change channels and also look at shows I have previously recorded years ago (2004).
My original problem was that when the Tivo remote is changed to a channel that I do not subscribe, Tivo gets stuck on that channel. It thinks it is changing channels when you use the remote but, they are not changing. If I use the Sat remote to change the channel to a subscribed channel and change Tivo to that channel, everything is fine. The Tivo remote will work until it reaches a unsubscribed channel again.
I have a Dish Network receiver (322) and I use a wireless network connection to get to Tivo.
I'm thinking I may need to get a replacement hard drive.
Does anyone have this problem? In all your successful connections, are you experiencing a failure to load the data after it is downloaded?
James285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #172
VinceA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Mine has been doing the same thing since early July 2011.
A hard reboot or restart system command seems to make it happy, for a while.

So, is this a "TiVo" or tuning adapter problem?
It's a combo issue. It seems to be interaction between the two. I seem to be able to get the problem to go away by resetting the TA a few times.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #173
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

We've been getting this error ever since we got a TA with Time Warner. Beyond frustrating. (Just wanted to add my data point.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #174
VinceA

Is it a Cisco TA?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #175
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA
Is it a Cisco TA?
Yes.

And it took 20 minutes on chat with a rep to get our channels back. And he/she (what kind if name is Sabre?) was awful. What a mess.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #176
VinceA

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your TiVoHD? Just trying to find someone with an unmodified unit so TiVo might take this issue more seriously...
Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #177
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA
Have you upgraded the hard drive in your TiVoHD? Just trying to find someone with an unmodified unit so TiVo might take this issue more seriously...
Yep. But it worked flawlessly...up until we needed the tuning adapter.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #178
Teeps

A new twist(?) to the story.

Mine was ok until I noticed on Saturday 20Aug11, that GC was stuck on 18Aug11. Guide data good until 28Aug11. There were successful service connections each day, including a forced connection, yesterday.

This morning I contacted TiVo support (via chat) about the guide data and GC.
The agent reviewed my account settings (their side) and said that my channel lineup was set to "Primary" and that it sould be set to "Digital."
So.... I followed this instructions* to fix the channel line up. Not sure how long it took for this to happen. But, as of right now (4hrs later) GC is updated to today's date and guide data is good to 5Sept11.

I suppose changing the channel line up, is similar to guided setup. But never specifically selected "Guided Setup."

*INSTRUCTIONS:
go to messages & settings>
settings>
channels>
channel list>
press enter button?
from there I was on my own but I chose to fix the line up and selected "cable."> (I use both cable and ota.)

The TiVo did the rest...

As a side note: I had permanently deleted all "deleted" files before doing the above.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #179
VinceA

Keep us updated on how things go for the next few days.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #180
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Glad I found this thread. I too am experiencing the guide data warning problem on my TiVo HD with an MCard and a Cisco TA. Restarting the TiVo gets rid of the warning for a while, but it returns after another couple of weeks or so. Even that I could live with, but eventually, after doing this little dance a dozen or so times, I get an S03 error and even rebooting won't help.

This has happened three times now - the first time I wound up re-imaging my drive, but the last couple of times I've "got away" with doing a Clear and Delete Everything. While this doesn't require TiVo surgery, it's still a major PITA since it loses all my SP's, WL's, and ignored duplicate channels in addition to all the recorded content, But perhaps the worst impact is that it causes the CableCARD to become unpaired, and TW Austin insists on a truck roll to re-authorize it. Last time, we were without any digital channels for almost a week until the earliest available appointment.

Right now, I've just restarted it for probably the third time after the latest S03. I hadn't noticed the GC date, but now that I look at it, it's showing July 24. The theory that GC is getting overwhelmed by the amount of work might also explain why this tends (correct me if I'm wrong) to affect folks with larger drives to a greater extent. I had over 60 items in my Recently Deleted folder, which I cleared before restarting this time after reading this thread.

I'll keep a close eye on the GC date - although manually cleaning up the deletions is a hassle, it's nowhere near the pain of having to recreate my SP's and WL's and explain to the wife that her archive of cooking shows has been lost (again).
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote