TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #121
VinceA

You've also got an SDV TA like me. Is it a Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) one? Also, if you keep your Deleted Items folder mostly empty, does Garbage Collection (GC) happen regularly? You can find that date on the System Info screen.
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #122
strejcek

When this happened to my Premiere XL, I had to, from within the channels settings menu, hit enter, and then redo the guided setup for my cable and OTA. After that, I have never had this issue crop up; although I don't have a SDV, this seemed to work by forcing the TiVo to re-download and re-cache the guide information.
strejcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #123
cogx

I've never had any messages come up telling me of any guide data problems, but now after 4+ years, my S3 is having what appears to be a nervous breakdown. Last night, I found that only some of my channels had guide data past this morning AM. I forced a connection to try to get the cache to catch up for all of my channels, but it didn't add any new data, so I went through the channel lineup setup again and after that long process it finally had guide data out two weeks for all of my channels.

However, I now see something I've never seen before. Although the channels (such as USA, FX, TNT, etc.) have guide data out two weeks, the find programs search and upcoming episodes lists for my season passes on those channels can't find anything to record! For example, my season pass to Justified on FX doesn't list any episodes to record, even though I can now find those episodes under the Record By Time or Channel menu. I did a TiVo restart before going to bed, but the situation remains the same this morning. Somehow the guide data is in the system, but the search and season pass functionality can't "see" it. What in the world?

Update: Monday afternoon, my S3 connected to pull down updated guide data and it fixed the problem, so I'm once again able to find upcoming programming when doing a search by title. My TiVo is a TiVo again.

Last edited by cogx : 02-09-2011 at 08:29 AM.
cogx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #124
VinceA

See if you can create a new Season Pass for one of those programs. I had a situation once where my channel map must have gotten screwed up and I had to recreate all my Season Passes. It was weird thing to see two Season Passes for the same program on the same channel. One worked, the other didn't.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #125
alyssa

I'll see your nag screen problem & raise a double folder issue. I've got a S3 with a Cisco TA.

Mid Summer last year, the nag screen 'running out of data' started appearing. I restarted the machine but it only stopped the nag for a couple of days. This went on for a few months. I clearly has data.

I then noticed I was getting two folders for season pass shows. One folder was ancient & the second current. It is as if there are two "Now Playing' lists.
An example of the two folders; Nova(9)-first recorded show of 10.24.10 & last recorded show on 1.30.11. The second Nova(11) has the first recorded show of 4.20.10 & last recorded show 7.27.10. The nova season pass is set to keep 10 episodes.

I finally called tech support. I was told it was due to the upgraded HD.
But the tech did give me a work around that clears the nag screen for a good two weeks,
clear all thumbs & restart.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #126
pbakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
You've also got an SDV TA like me. Is it a Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) one? Also, if you keep your Deleted Items folder mostly empty, does Garbage Collection (GC) happen regularly? You can find that date on the System Info screen.
Sorry, no, my TA is a Motorola. And I have never deleted things out of the deleted folder. Too much trouble, I assumed they would automatically be deleted to make room for new recordings as necessary. Seems GC is working, last done today in fact. To resolve the last issue, I simply did a restart from the Tivo menu and it cleared right up. Usually I don't do anything at all and the warning message just goes away as the date it says the guide data will run out passes by. I have never missed a recording, so this is more of a irritation than anything else. This last time was just more unusual in that I got an actual Tivo Message in the message center rather than just the warning on the menu screen. First time that has ever happened.

But it is true that I ran for almost a full year before I got the TA and never had this issue. And have seen it 3 or 4 times in the last 4 or 5 months since I got the TA. So it could be related, but couldn't say for sure.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #127
VinceA

Your problem sounds like a less severe case than mine. I find that the guide data date doesn't advance unless I either restart the machine or keep the Deleted Items folder relatively empty. If I do the Deleted Items thing, GC happens about every three or four days and all is well.

Odd thing though, around mid-Dec I restarted my TA since it was being cranky (missing channels, etc) and my TiVoHD started acting normal. Guide data updated normally, suggestions recorded, etc. A month later I had to restart the TA again and the unit went back to the behavior I described.

So, I've chalked it up to a TA interaction thing since everyone with the issue so far seems to be using a TA.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #128
VinceA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I'll see your nag screen problem & raise a double folder issue. I've got a S3 with a Cisco TA.

Mid Summer last year, the nag screen 'running out of data' started appearing. I restarted the machine but it only stopped the nag for a couple of days. This went on for a few months. I clearly has data.

I then noticed I was getting two folders for season pass shows. One folder was ancient & the second current. It is as if there are two "Now Playing' lists.
An example of the two folders; Nova(9)-first recorded show of 10.24.10 & last recorded show on 1.30.11. The second Nova(11) has the first recorded show of 4.20.10 & last recorded show 7.27.10. The nova season pass is set to keep 10 episodes.

I finally called tech support. I was told it was due to the upgraded HD.
But the tech did give me a work around that clears the nag screen for a good two weeks,
clear all thumbs & restart.
I had the issue before I upgraded my hard drive so chalking it up to the drive is a tech support smokescreen.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #129
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
I had the issue before I upgraded my hard drive so chalking it up to the drive is a tech support smokescreen.
Did/do you also have the 'two folder' issue?

Yeah, I know is a smokescreen. I just bought a premiere which will replace the 'two folder' tivo as soon as it becomes stable & I watch the recordings on it. I'm on TW so I can't transfer them off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #130
VinceA

I had it a long time ago when I still had my stock 160GB drive but I ended up just deleting & recreating all my season passes and deleting any programs that were in the old folders. So, the problem 'went' away.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #131
alyssa

Do you think the two problems (nag screen & double folder) are related?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #132
VinceA

Possibly but they weren't in my case.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #133
Morfious
Happy Series 3 user

Just adding more points of data to the growing list.

Tivo Series 3 1GB updated internal drive
Software 11.0j-01-2-648

I have been plagued with the "guide data will run out" message for the last 2-3 months as well. I have a series 3 with an upgraded HD (set to supersize). FYI this guide data stuff would happen with the orig drive as well. It usually resolves itself without incident (may require a restart). I have had an issue where I got the mail message on the tivo saying guide data would run out. I waited a few days (until the guide data actually ran out) and could not search for items to record. Actual data was there, but would not search. I re-did the guided setup and restarted the Tivo, which seemed to fix things for a while. I now have the issue every 2 weeks or so pop up. I have noticed that the issue seems to be tied to garbage collection (GC). For whatever reason it seems NOT to update even though the Tivo makes successful connections to home. Running the guided setup and the restart seemed to force the GC to run and everything was fine, for 2 weeks, after that was done.

Today is 2/14 and the last time GC was done was 2/7. I will try the clear thumb ratings to see if that helps. Any other info on getting this resolved would be appreciated.
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #134
VinceA

Do you have a tuning adapter attached to your TiVo? Also, does GC happen more often if you keep the Deleted Items folder empty?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #135
Morfious
Happy Series 3 user

Tuning adapter is connected to the tivo. My deleted items folder is at about 120 shows or so. I have not tried deleting them all to see if that helps. As with earlier posters, the actual guide data is there, the Tivo just thinks it isn't. I have also noted that after a restart the Tivo will run the getting guide data info screen.

Forcing a restart will prevent the messages from showing for a week or 2.

Deleting thumbs and running guided setup will clear messages and also work for 1-2 weeks until the messages turn up again. This takes a lot more time and user input than forcing a restart and gives you no real benefit.

(Things not tried: Deleting everything from deleted items folder, delete and re-create all season passes ( I have over 70 so I'm trying to avoid this).
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #136
VinceA

I've just been deleting the Deleted Items stuff every day or two and my HD does a GC (Garbage Collection) about every three days which advances the Guide Data date in System Information without a restart. I think all the other things (clearing thumbs, recreating season passes, etc) aren't necessary.

I really think this has something to do with Tuning Adapters since most, if not all, of the people I hear with this issue have one.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #137
alyssa

In my case the clear thumb ratings & suggestions then restarting did clear the nag screen for a couple of weeks.

I haven't check my nag screen S3 tivo for a couple of weeks so I was very surprised to see NO nag screen.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #138
VinceA

I think the restart may have had more to do with it than anything else.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #139
alyssa

restart by itself only cleared the nag for a couple of days. Clear thumbs & delete with a restart cleared the nag for a couple of weeks.
That said, it's weird that I don't have a nag screen now since I haven't touched the S3 in a month. I had the nag for at least six months prior.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #140
VinceA

I had a time when all worked well all by itself until the next time the tuning adapter had to be reset. Maybe your unit is having the same run of good luck.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #141
VinceA

On a whim I reset my TA on Sunday and my TiVoHD is acting like a normal unit. It's GCing once a day, getting guide data, updating the Guide Data date, recording suggestions, etc.

This keeps pointing to the problem being TA related,
Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #142
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA
I've just been deleting the Deleted Items stuff every day or two and my HD does a GC (Garbage Collection) about every three days which advances the Guide Data date in System Information without a restart. I think all the other things (clearing thumbs, recreating season passes, etc) aren't necessary.

I really think this has something to do with Tuning Adapters since most, if not all, of the people I hear with this issue have one.
I have to permanently delete items in my deleted folder every few days in order to get my TiVo Series 3 HD to do GC, which in turn keeps the guide data date current.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #143
VinceA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I have to permanently delete items in my deleted folder every few days in order to get my TiVo Series 3 HD to do GC, which in turn keeps the guide data date current.
Do you:
- have a tuning adapter? If so, which model?
- have a upgraded hard drive?

Still trying to track down what causes this bug. Seems to be related to the tuning adapter since I've been able to get my TiVoHD to react normally sometimes by restarting the tuning adapter manually after the TiVoHD has restarted.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #144
eaayoung

I'm getting the nag screen as well. I have an S3 with updated 1 TB drive and connected to a Cisco TA. Never had this problem before. Deleted 1/2 of the shows in the Suggestions folder plus rebooted both the Tivo and TA and the nag message went away.

Last edited by eaayoung : 05-06-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Wrote "deleted folder" in error. Changed to Suggestioins folder.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #145
VinceA

If it's the same problem you should be able to check your System Information everyday and see:
- guide data is retrieved everyday successfully
- the Guide Data date doesn't advance

Also few or no suggestions are recorded.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #146
dpalmi

Wow - I also am having the nag screen as well for the past few months. A forced re-boot always fixes it for a week or two. I have an S3 with external WD 1TB MyDVR drive, Cisco TA and Time Warner. I will have to try clearing my deleted folder to see if it helps....

dpalmi
dpalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #147
VinceA

The most important question I have for you is... did you update your internal drive or are you using the original drive? The biggest issue I've had is that TiVo won't 'help' on a machine with a user upgraded drive.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #148
aymanme

I've got a prom-modded S3 with an upgraded internal drive. I have 2 scientific atlanta cards and the cisco TA. I have the same issue. Basically, after so many days I'll get a message that the data will run out in XXX days. I reboot the unit and then it is good for a couple of weeks (I want to say 2, but it could be longer). Then I get the message and reboot again. I've tried the various things in this thread but haven't seen any change. My original drive died so I can't put it back in, but it was NOT happening with that drive.
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #149
aymanme

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme View Post
I've got a prom-modded S3 with an upgraded internal drive. I have 2 scientific atlanta cards and the cisco TA. I have the same issue. Basically, after so many days I'll get a message that the data will run out in XXX days. I reboot the unit and then it is good for a couple of weeks (I want to say 2, but it could be longer). Then I get the message and reboot again. I've tried the various things in this thread but haven't seen any change. My original drive died so I can't put it back in, but it was NOT happening with that drive.
So it happened again, but this time a reboot did NOT fix it. Instead I did the KS57 and for now it seems to be ok.
aymanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #150
mxc

I have the same problem

I have the same problem: I get a message about program info running out despite successful daily connections. I too have have a tuning adapter. Unplugging the TiVo fixes the problem for about a week. I wiped out my season passes. That fixed the problem for a week. I had a Charter tech come over because I wasn't receiving all the channels I was supposed to and he redid the channel lineup. TiVo tech suggests it's a hard drive problem but judging by these posts that's unlikely. What am I supposed to do?
mxc is offline   Reply With Quote