TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #61
crusin_x1

My TiVo also corrected itself without restarting. No nag screens for a few days now.
crusin_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #62
[NG]Owner

And it stopped incrementing again, nag sccreens are back ....

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #63
VinceA

Have you emptied out your Deleted Items folder?
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #64
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

connectivity problems? wrong cable lineup?

Strange, I've owned a TiVo since 2001 (but have no experience w/tuning adapters as I've never lived in an SDV area) and have never had running out of guide data problems other than due to: loss of connectivity due to phone line being unplugged so TiVo couldn't dial or a cable lineup switchover/change and me not having switched to the right one.

IIRC, if one has the wrong lineup chosen and hits the running out of guide data warnings, you can force calls (connections) all you want, but it won't help.

I'm now on TiVo HD and don't use POTS (don't even have a landline) and have never run out of guide data. I think the deleted items folder has little or nothing to do w/things. Heck, the Deleted Items folder didn't even exist until software version 6.x. Series 1s never got it since they dead-ended at software version ~3.1.

Last edited by cwerdna : 07-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #65
CortJstr

This just happened to me. Live Chat had me hard boot the Tivo which updated the date. While waiting for that I found this thread.

I just moved and had to switch from Comcast to Cox and having been using a TA for about 10 days. We'll see if it keeps happening but based on this thread it doesn't look promising.
CortJstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #66
VinceA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Strange, I've owned a TiVo since 2001 (but have no experience w/tuning adapters as I've never lived in an SDV area) and have never had running out of guide data problems other than due to: loss of connectivity due to phone line being unplugged so TiVo couldn't dial or a cable lineup switchover/change and me not having switched to the right one.

IIRC, if one has the wrong lineup chosen and hits the running out of guide data warnings, you can force calls (connections) all you want, but it won't help.

I'm now on TiVo HD and don't use POTS (don't even have a landline) and have never run out of guide data. I think the deleted items folder has little or nothing to do w/things. Heck, the Deleted Items folder didn't even exist until software version 6.x. Series 1s never got it since they dead-ended at software version ~3.1.
I don't have the wrong lineup chosen since there's only one for Cablevision's digital cable system.

I didn't have this issue until after my TiVoHD hit v11 or so I think.

I do have a TA on it, the STA1520 from Scientific Atlanta / Cisco
Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #67
atomarchio

Looks like I am in big trouble. I've had this problem for months now but reboot always fixed.

Now I am getting the error that I am running out on 7/24. I rebooted the Tivo and TA as suggested.

I am running the guided setup again as suggested but I can't get past "preparing". Looks like I'm in big trouble here. Any ideas on what I can do? Please help.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #68
chemosh6969

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
I don't have the wrong lineup chosen since there's only one for Cablevision's digital cable system.

I didn't have this issue until after my TiVoHD hit v11 or so I think.

I do have a TA on it, the STA1520 from Scientific Atlanta / Cisco
I haven't had it run out of guide data yet but both of my tivos have started saying it can't find my lineup even though there's just the one Charter system in my area.

On my series 3, if I try to change the lineup through the message, it says I can disregard it since I haven't chosen to use cable. Thing is, I am using cable. That's what the two cable cards are for.

On my premiere, I went ahead and let it do the guided setup. What happens as soon as I finish doing it? A brand new message saying it couldn't find my lineup and that I should do the setup again.
chemosh6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #69
Optics

Has anyone found a cause/resolution to this problem?

I've tried:
- rearranged first few entries in Season Pass
- emptied "Recently Deleted"
- rebooted Tuning Adapter

Service Connections are all successful every day.
Guide Data seems to get loaded for full 2 weeks.

The "Program Information To:" date in System Information still does not increment after guide data is loaded, even though there is Guide Data past the "To:" date.

The date only increments when the TiVoHD reboots.
Optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #70
VinceA

I've been keeping the Deleted Item folder empty and watching more stuff since it seems the fuller the drive is, the less likely it is for the date to advance.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #71
[NG]Owner

Fact is, don't worry about the nag screens about running out of data. I let it go without rebooting until after the date passed. Nothing happened. Business as usual.

The data is there, and the unit keeps recording. It will reset on its own after it "runs out" of guide data, either by a spontaneous reboot, or just because.

It's a ghost in the machine, nothing more.

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #72
VinceA

... but it's an odd ghost in the machine. I'm glad that I'm not the only one having the problem but sad that the problem exists at all.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #73
alanhoyle

I got a TiVo update not too long ago and was hoping that this bug was fixed. It didn't make a difference. I still have annoying nag screens, while the system regularly and successfully connects and has guide data running off well past the expire date.
alanhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #74
MarkL

My Series 2 started doing this last week. Update connections were made fine, but no updates actually occurred. A reboot has temporarily resolved the issue, but based on what others' experience, looks like it will recur.

So you can rule out the Tuning Adapter as the proximal cause .. I don't have one. Just straight analog cable into my unit.
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #75
pbakers

I posted the following somewhere else before I was directed to this thread. Just wanted to add this as another one seeing this problem. Note I have a TivoHD with 1 TB MyDVR Expander and am on Time Warner with MCard and Motorola TA for SDV (TA has been installed for about 2 months now). I never saw this this problem on the HD until the TA was installed. But I did see this a few years ago on an old series 2 once but it never returned after I rebooted. Just to add my 2 cents from earlier post:

Does anyone know why this keeps happening? Today I get a warning that the Guide data will run out in five days. I checked the network connection (hard wired Ethernet) and it says the last attempt was successful. I tested it and the test ran fine. I forced a connection and it reported it was successful as well but the guide info is still not updated.

I recalled a similar issue on a older series 2 I had a few years ago. Also searching on the Web I found reports of this dating back 5 or 6 years. I was able to easily fix it by doing a hard reset (pulling power cord) and rebooting. After the reboot, bam the guide was updated instantly with usual 2 weeks of data, no net connection was necessary so obviously the Tivo had the info but just refused to display it or schedule recordings. If hadn't noticed this I would have started loosing recordings in a few days [I assumed this but after reading this thread I am inclined to let it go and see if it continues to record normally even though it is throwing this warning message - but then again the new season is starting and the wife will kill me if I miss recording her favorite show! ].

It is an admittedly rare issue [again I assumed this but after reading this thread maybe not], but why is this still happening after all these years? That's a long time for a bug to remain lurking around IMHO.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #76
CortJstr

I've also noticed that when the Tivo says it's out of guide data the To Do list appears normal and it continues to record my season passes normally but I can't search for programs. If I hit Tivo+4 it just takes me to the "no data" message. I left it like this for a few days before I finally gave in and rebooted it.

Seeing as at least once a week my TA brings up a solid grey screen I'm inclined to believe it's the problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #77
ScratchFury

After I got my TA, I started having this issue. I did one step above Clear and Delete Everything. I had to re-enter all my Season Passes. Everything worked perfect... for a week. I rebooted and unplugged my TA overnight, and it is working again. Not sure what steps fixed it. I will have to experiment more when it happens again. I used AutoHotkey and telnet commands to delete 400 old shows in Deleted Items before I erased my stuff. It didn't help.
ScratchFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #78
VinceA

OK, so a common factor here seems to be having a Tuning Adapter. How many of you also have an upgraded drive? I've got a 1TB drive in my TiVoHD
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #79
pbakers

Quote:
OK, so a common factor here seems to be having a Tuning Adapter. How many of you also have an upgraded drive? I've got a 1TB drive in my TiVoHD
Mine is a stock TivoHD with a 1 TB MyDVR Expander. All un-modified. After I rebooted the first time this happened, it has not returned yet and the Guide Cache data is incrementing as expected. So far so good here.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #80
ari14850

This problem has been plaguing me for months. And I finally found a solution.

I have a tivo HD hooked up to a netgear wndr3300 router via ethernet cable. This router is connected via a motorola sbg6580f cable modem to road runner. Tivo on time warner with tuning adapter and WD dvr expander.

My TIVO has NEVER been able to get a DCHP address from the netgear. It just fails (n13) and then I try manual assign, and that fails too.

The only way it will set up a network connection is to use "let tivo assign itself an address". I've called tivo several times about this (because I want to assign this thing a static ip so it plays well with all the other items on my network) and they just say "there is no difference between the 3 methods, and we don't know why 2 of the 3 don't work, but just leave it alone.

The problem is, by leaving it alone

a) I'm having ip address conflicts since the tivo is taking a ## that the router also tries to assign

b) I often get "guide is about to run out" message. Even though it connects and gets the guide info (with self assigned ip), the guide info is somehow corrupted. I've had lots of weird symptoms such as guide data download but an empty "find programs" directory, messages that say the guide is up to date, but then show the index as being in the past. Index to dates months ahead in the future.

So last night I hooked up a blu-ray netflix player and it too could not get a DHCP address. But it's error message was more descriptive (ping error) so I started researching that. My netgear router had all the firewalls open. So I tried to run ping on my Mac (on a mac go to utilities/terminal and type "ping w w w.google.com" (spaces added so post allowed on forum) on windows go to command line and use the same command)

What I found was very strange. I could not ping ANY outside computers. Anything in my house (192.x.x.x) would respond, but outside addresses didn't. (I also pinged numeric equivalents in case you were wondering if my DNS was bad). As a matter of fact, I could not even ping the gateway that the router was connected to (the motorola cable modem). So I knew something was up.

Called time warner, told them I thought the motorola was blocking wan ping. They did some tests, and then changed the block wan ping setting (unless you can get into the modem's settings, which I can't because they changed the password from the default, you cannot change these on your own) .

And lo-and-behold, my wan pings started working. I ran to the tivo, tried to get it to get a DCHP lease, and -drumroll- success! The blu-ray player also connected to netflix.

So the moral of the story is, try a wan ping from your computer if you are having dhcp or n13 or guide data problems with your tivo. If it does not succeed, call the cable company and get them to fix the setting.

P.S. The guide data also turned out to be corrupt (perhaps because of all the failed connection attempts due to the ping block). TiVo support suggested re-running guided setup, first with the WRONG zip code to clear out all the data, then with the right zip code. This did indeed fix the indexing issues I had been having.

So there you have it. Hope this saves you some time. I wish I knew this a few months ago...
ari14850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #81
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

I wonder if they helped unblock some of the ports or IP addresses Tivo says should be opened.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/402
The following ports (whether inbound or outbound) must be open to allow your TiVo box to communicate with the TiVo Servers, other TiVo boxes, and your Macintosh or Windows PC:

* TCP port 37
* TCP port 80
* TCP port 443
* TCP port 2190
* TCP port 4430
* TCP port 5222
* TCP port 5223
* TCP port 5254
* TCP port 5354
* TCP port 7287-7297
* TCP port 8000
* TCP ports 8080-8089
* TCP port 8101
* TCP port 8102
* TCP port 8181
* TCP port 8200
* UDP port 37
* UDP port 123
* UDP port 2190
* UDP port 5353

If your TiVo box is having issues connecting to your home network, use one of the following procedures to check if required ports or IP addresses are blocked.

1. Make sure that ports 80 and 8080 are not being blocked by your router, firewall, or Internet Service Provider (ISP).

2. Verify that the following IP addresses are not being blocked by your router, firewall or Internet Service Provider (ISP):

* 208.73.180.0 through 208.73.183.255

* 204.176.49.0 through 204.176.49.127

* 206.112.115.0 through 206.112.115.255

3. If the ports and IP addresses are configured properly on the router and firewall, but the box is unable to communicate with the TiVo service or another TiVo box, some ports or addresses may be blocked by your Internet Service Provider. Contact your Internet Service Provider for assistance.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #82
scole250

Any updates to this problem? I re-ran guided setup a month ago which straightened it out for a little while, but it occurred again. I'm not aware of any network problems though. Are failed connection attempts the reason for getting corrupt guide data? Any way to see a log?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #83
VinceA

OK, so it's not tuning adapter linked as a problem. How many Season Passes does everyone that has this problem have on their unit? I've got more than 70 currently. Just wondering if there's some sort of limit being reached where the unit doesn't have enough time to process everything it has to do.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #84
wtherrell

Arrow

Quote:
OK, so it's not tuning adapter linked as a problem. How many Season Passes does everyone that has this problem have on their unit? I've got more than 70 currently. Just wondering if there's some sort of limit being reached where the unit doesn't have enough time to process everything it has to do.
15 season passes plus some video on demand passes. Tivo should have addressed this problem long ago. It should not be happening still. Tivo has too many issues of this kind where things don't quite work properly and they seem to do nothing. I currently have 3 S2 and a TIVO HD 1 Terabyte. They keep wanting me to buy a Premiere but I will not do so because of Tivos history of ignoring these problems. Besides, I already have the best set-up for MRV. I can transfer almost anything from the S2s to the HD but not the other way around. Sigh. Tivo, you coulda been a contenda!
wtherrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #85
VinceA

OK, so that's not a factor.

So far, we've removed the following possible causes since not all the cases have them in common:
- too many SPs
- tuning adapter
- drive expansion
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #86
pbakers

After more than a month, the Guide Data running out nag message is back. It says it will run out on 10/18, but when I look in the Guide and the To Do List, I see programming and shows scheduled to record all the way out to 10/23. I am just going to let it run through without restarting to see what happens. I think this is just a bug in how the nag message is displayed and not a real issue that will cause any shows to be missed recording. We will see what happens.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #87
jwbelcher

Maybe its caused by a failing hard drive?

I started having this issue again about 3 weeks ago (all the typical symptoms as documented in this thread). The first time this happened to me was last year after hooking up a tuning adapter. I was sure it was related, as some others reported, but as it turned out, it was just a coincidence. The first time it was able to be fixed by performing a clear and delete everything. This lasted for about a year until it just started occurring again. This time it was right after hooking up the Bluetooth slide remote! It was very weird that each time after adding a USB devices the issue appeared. Again, I think just a coincidence. This time I tried first clearing suggestions, followed up with clearing program info, and lastly cleared and deleted everything. To my angst, none of these worked for me this time. Actually this time, after performing the various resets, the Tivo got progressively worse. After clearing the guide data, which should delete season passes, they were left intact, but would not actual record any shows. Also, after performing clear and delete, the newly downloaded program guide data was not searchable. At this point, I was convinced of file system or database corruption and more than likely a hard drive going bad as the root cause. I finally ended up taking the drive out and replacing with a new WD caviar black. After putting the new drive in the Tivo, using winmfs for backup and restore, the Tivo went into GSOD!! I guess this was good, although it had me worried, but after 2+ hours it had repaired itself. My guess is it discovered the corruption and reinstalled itself. After it completed, I cleared program information, and immediately did a service connection call to get guide data. Its been running since Sunday and both the Program Information To and GC timestamps are updating normally once again. I'm hopeful my issues are resolved and maybe this information maybe helpful to the others out there experiencing the same issue.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #88
jwbelcher

So... It looks like daily calls are working again, but was pretty slow today. Guide data downloaded at 2:53, but Indexing didn't complete until 9:42. Garbage Collection ran at 10:20. Program Information To timestamp didn't update until the GC completed.

Last edited by jwbelcher : 10-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #89
VinceA

Garbage Collection seems to be the key to the whole problem. On my TiVoHD, GC won't run unless there's a lot of 'free space' and possibly free time (not recording, etc)
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #90
wisny

/subscribe
wisny is offline   Reply With Quote