TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

How do I stop my TiVoHD remote from controlling my TiVo Premiere?

On the TiVoHD remote there is a 1 and 2 switch that I remember was used to solve this type of problem. But, in my scenario, I am trying to have both a TiVoHD and a TiVo Premiere in the same rack. Is it possible to configure the Premiere so it will not respond to my TiVoHD that I have now set to 2?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If your remote address on the Tivos is set (by default) to 0, it will respond to all remote presses.

A remote with a 1-2 switch is basically 2 Tivo remotes in 1, so the remote addresses need to be set on each side of the switch.

The Tivos set the remote addresses by you entering the menu to the System Information screen and when you leave it (by left arrow or other button) with that remote address set in the remote.

To set the remote address, first you need to cover the other Tivo's remote sensor to set for the first.

For example, Let's use the remote address 1 for the first Tivo and 2 for the 2nd.
Cover the 2nd Tivo's sensor.
Set the 1-2 switch to 1.
On the 1st Tivo, Go to Tivo menu, Settings > ... until you are in the System Information screen. (You can also press ChDn/ChUp to page down/up until you see the line, Remote Address:
Press and hold TiVo and Pause buttons until the remote light turns on. Release.
Press the number 1.
You can then press ChUp/ChDn to verify the line should say, "Remote Address: 1"
Press Left arrow to leave the System Information screen.
This Tivo is set and should uncover the sensor from the 2nd Tivo and cover the 1st Tivo's sensor.
Repeat with the 1-2 switch set on 2 and using 2 for the 2nd Tivo's remote address.

Now when you have the switch set to 1, you are controlling the 1st Tivo and vice versa with the 2nd, and neither will interfere with the other Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Auggie H View Post
On the TiVoHD remote there is a 1 and 2 switch that I remember was used to solve this type of problem. But, in my scenario, I am trying to have both a TiVoHD and a TiVo Premiere in the same rack. Is it possible to configure the Premiere so it will not respond to my TiVoHD that I have now set to 2?
Are you trying to use a remote with a slide switch to control both independently, or a remote without the slide switch?

Or do you want to use one remote on the HD and a different remote on the Premiere, but only have one TiVo respond to one of the remotes and the other respond only to the other one?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
Edmund
Remote Czar

You have to remember the PVR1/PVR2 switch isn't set to addresses 1 & 2 by default, its set to zero on both sides of the switch. You have to program in the addresses yourself.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
mr.unnatural

Make sure you assign an address other than "0" to each setting. The "0" setting is the master code and will override any other code. If you leave one side of the remote at "0" it will still control both Tivos, regardless of what the other one is set to.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Not to make things more confusing, but my end goal is to have both my TiVoHD and my TiVo Premiere controlled by my Harmony Remote. My understanding is that before I can even think of getting my Harmony to work I would need to figure out how to make these 2 TiVo boxes be controlled independently. So my initial line of questioning was just about how to get my standard TiVo Premiere remote to ONLY control my TiVo Premiere and to have my standard TiVoHD remote to ONLY control my TiVoHD. Once I can accomplish that, I should be able to then translate that over to my Harmony (I hope). I plan to spend some time this weekend working on this. My first attempt to configure my TiVos didn't seem to work.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Instructions:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/284

The dvr switch is not necessary to the process for the premiere remote. If the TivoHD remote has the 1-2 switch, you may want both switch positions to be set to the same code.
Where it says to press 1 and later to press 2, you can actually use any number between 1 and 9 as long as each remote is set different.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I believe the standard Harmony remote codes for TiVo are all set for address 0. So once you get your two remotes set differently, you will most likely need to have the harmony learn each remote individually. Be sure to save the remote with a name that includes the address, assuming the Harmony software will even let you do that.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
Edmund
Remote Czar

On the Harmony, you set up two identical devices at first, but than go into the menu of the harmony and have it confirm IR, it will have you teach 2 or 3 commands. Than it will change rest of the keys to match the address.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
unitron

These comments are specifically about the S1 Philips brand TiVos and the peanut remote, and the S2 and later TiVo brand TiVos and peanut remotes, all of which use the same codes and addresses (which means you can control/mess up a later TiVo with an S1 remote and vice versa).

There are 10 possible remote "addresses" to which one can set TiVos and TiVo remotes, numbered 0 through 9.

0 is the universal, or promiscuous, address.

A remote set to 0 will control any TiVo upon which its infrared beam falls (and I think it might reset that TiVo's remote address to 0 as well).

A TiVo set to 0 will be controlled by any remote set to any of the 10 addresses (but I don't think the TiVo's remote address gets reset).

You do not have to have a TiVo present to set the address of a TiVo remote, and sometimes it's better if you aren't in the same room or line of sight of a TiVo when setting the number.

Press the TiVo button and pause button and hold down both until the light comes on and stays on, then release them.

Press whichever numeral button on the remote which corresponds to the address number to which you want to set the remote.

I think the light flashes or something to indicate that it got the message.

Then push the right arrow button to "set" things and exit the address programming mode.

If you have a remote with the 1-2 slide switch you need to do that with the switch in one position, and then do it again after sliding the switch to the other position if you intend to use it to control more than one TiVo or if you want to avoid any problem/confusion controlling your only TiVo that might result from the switch having accidentally gotten switched.

If you're going to use it to control 2 different TiVos you would use a different number for each switch setting and if only using it on one TiVo you would use the same number for both switch settings.

To set or change a TiVo's remote address, it needs to be the only TiVo in the room, or the only TiVo in the room that's powered up, or you need to have completely covered over the IR sensor of the other TiVo(s) in the room.

That third option can be tricky--I've done it with a thick, dark bath towel folded up and wrapped around the entire front panel. Trap the bottom edge under the TiVo's front feet and put something on top to hold down the top edge.

Using a remote set to an address which will control the TiVo whose address you want to set, go into the System Information page and go down until you see the currently assigned address.

Then either go through the above-mentioned procedure for setting the address of the remote while it's pointed at the TiVo, and you should see it change on-screen to the new number when you hit the right arrow key, or use a different remote already set for the address for which you want the TiVo set and just hit the right arrow key, and you should see it change on-screen to the new number.

Then using a remote set for the address for which you just set the TiVo, use the left arrow key to get out of the System Information screen so that it's no longer vulnerable to having its address re-set.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote