TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
Rtteachr

AppleTV

Would love to seen a TIVO app for AppleTV. Anyone heard anything about that happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rtteachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Now that Amazon is finally launching a tvOS app, I do not see why Tivo could not make one too.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
machpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Now that Amazon is finally launching a tvOS app, I do not see why Tivo could not make one too.
Have you heard some recent news concerning this? I haven't heard a thing about an Amazon Prime app for Apple TV since late last year.

machpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
source? besides the rumors from last November.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtteachr View Post
Would love to seen a TIVO app for AppleTV. Anyone heard anything about that happening?
What are you suggesting? An app where the recordings stored on your TiVo can be played via your AppleTV? Or an app similar to the iOS app that shows guide data, allows you to set up recordings, maintain TiVo settings, etc.?

Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What are you suggesting? An app where the recordings stored on your TiVo can be played via your AppleTV? Or an app similar to the iOS app that shows guide data, allows you to set up recordings, maintain TiVo settings, etc.?
I'm guessing an app like on the Amazon Fire TV that is basically a poor man's version of the TiVo Mini. Although it does appear TiVo has abandoned their idea of adding their service to set top boxes.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
trip1eX

Seems like a no-brainer given they have an iOS app but ...crickets so far.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

It would be nice to see one. For now Tivo supports AirPlay mirroring if you have an iDevice for it.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
DrewTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Seems like a no-brainer given they have an iOS app but ...crickets so far.
Would kind of mean the end of the Mini. Why pay $150 for a Mini when you can pay the same for an Apple TV and get nearly the functionality (except for the painfully bad remote).

Now, if we're talking Apple and Tivo, how about just having Apple buy Tivo and integrate the functionality into the Apple TV, adding an SSD for storage.

DrewTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #10
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTivo View Post
Would kind of mean the end of the Mini. Why pay $150 for a Mini when you can pay the same for an Apple TV and get nearly the functionality (except for the painfully bad remote).
Fire TV has this app and I venture to say it works so poorly, it would never cut into Mini sales.

rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:16 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Have you actually used the remote for the 4th gen AppleTV? I didn't think I would like it, but it's actually pretty brilliant. And navigating through video with it is awesome.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
source? besides the rumors from last November.
The latest I heard was in January that it was still in development, and they were having some issues porting the iOS code to tvOS. It is still expected this year.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
An app like the iOS/Android app which lets you do all of things you mention should be possible. Whether they decide to do such a thing is another question.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
trip1eX

Quote:

Now, if we're talking Apple and Tivo, how about just having Apple buy Tivo and integrate the functionality into the Apple TV, adding an SSD for storage.
Right now the app isn't as good as the Mini experience. It isn't as responsive as a Mini and you have to load the app before it can run. So the Mini would still have some appeal. BUt I could also see an app on ATV getting better.

I don't think  will buy Tivo. I think Apple sees the dvr as yesterday's tech. And they think the future is VoD streaming. Think HBO Go instead of a dvr recording content on HBO's linear cable/satellite channels.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
atmuscarella

Just my 2cents on using an app on a Roku/Apple TV/Amazon fire TV etc. versus using a Mini.

The main difference I see is that the Mini streams all recordings directly from any Premiere, Roamio, or Bolt DVR. Using apps on any device requires a Stream (stand alone or built in) to convert the recordings from MPEG 2 to a format those devices can play.

I am fairly sure TiVo could build apps for Roku/Apple TV/Amazon fire TV etc. that get close to the experience provided by a Mini, but I am not sure it is in their best interest to do so.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #16

Yeah, if you compare the experience of using a TiVo app on an iPhone or iPad to the experience of using a Mini, it's not even in the same universe.

The app is still slow, buggy and riddled with connectivity problems. I've never had a single issue with a Mini and I've all but given up on watching TiVo on my iDevices.

An Apple TV TiVo app would need to do something way better than what they are doing with their other iOS apps.

ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #17
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Yeah, if you compare the experience of using a TiVo app on an iPhone or iPad to the experience of using a Mini, it's not even in the same universe.

The app is still slow, buggy and riddled with connectivity problems. I've never had a single issue with a Mini and I've all but given up on watching TiVo on my iDevices.

An Apple TV TiVo app would need to do something way better than what they are doing with their other iOS apps.
Really? I use my iOS apps all the time. I download stuff to watch on my iPad while I travel. I stream stuff in-home on my iPhone to watch on my back porch where I don't have a TV. I have even downloaded recordings from my Roamio while vacationing in Paris, France over the hotel wi-fi for my wife to watch on the plane ride home.

I've only had to reboot my Stream once to solve a connection issue. Other than that, everything has been great.

That said, it is not the same as the Mini in-home experience by any means.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #18
SolomonJ

I'd drop my TiVo's like hot potatoes for an DVR with CableCard support. At least when  has software bugs, they're fixed in a matter of days, not months or quarters like TiVo does.

SolomonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #19
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonJ View Post
I'd drop my TiVo's like hot potatoes for an DVR with CableCard support. At least when  has software bugs, they're fixed in a matter of days, not months or quarters like TiVo does.
might be coming after all. They werent happy with the hdhomerun dvr progress so they dropped support and now might do it themselves.

https://twitter.com/getchannels/stat...73839558217728

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #20
Bigg

I have/had an Apple TV that's not hooked up anymore. It was great for AirPlay, and then Chromecast came along and does the same thing, plus more. I have an Apple laptop, an iPad, and an iPhone (in addition to a Galaxy S7) so I'm comfortable in both worlds, but Apple TV was never a very good product in my eyes. Now they don't support 4k, so I have even less use for it.

Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #21
Rtteachr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonJ View Post

I'm with you. That would be an instant buy!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #22
Rtteachr

Quote:

All of the above. I know AirPlay works, but would be prefer an app made for AppleTV. That would work a lot better and be a much smoother experience.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #23
NashGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
might be coming after all. They werent happy with the hdhomerun dvr progress so they dropped support and now might do it themselves.

https://twitter.com/getchannels/stat...73839558217728
Ooh! Very interesting! If Channels incorporates DVR features and Amazon Video also comes to Apple TV (hopefully supporting universal search for that app), I could see making that my next TV set-up. Bummer that Apple TV doesn't stream in UHD though. And given that I'm moving away from the Apple ecosystem and toward Android and Amazon, I'd really prefer not to buy another Apple TV. Oh well, maybe Channels will come to Fire TV and/or Android TV...

NashGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #24
DrewTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post

I don't think  will buy Tivo. I think Apple sees the dvr as yesterday's tech. And they think the future is VoD streaming. Think HBO Go instead of a dvr recording content on HBO's linear cable/satellite channels.
That's probably true, but I'm not sure it's so much they view it as yesterday's tech and more that they can't generate revenue from it. With streaming, at least theirs, they can get 30% of the price for some portion of it. DVR functionality for Apple TV (which I would think would be trivial to create - add an HDD or SSD, a cable card slot and coax input, and buy/copy Tivo's software) is ultimately a guide service plus hardware. They can't leverage the content into increased revenue. The iPod was never really about letting you put music on a device, it was about building the platform for the iTunes store.

DrewTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #25
Rtteachr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I have/had an Apple TV that's not hooked up anymore. It was great for AirPlay, and then Chromecast came along and does the same thing, plus more. I have an Apple laptop, an iPad, and an iPhone (in addition to a Galaxy S7) so I'm comfortable in both worlds, but Apple TV was never a very good product in my eyes. Now they don't support 4k, so I have even less use for it.

Could care less about 4K. Been using an AppleTV since the first gen and have always loved it. Latest version is great for our needs in my house.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #26
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtteachr View Post
Could care less about 4K. Been using an AppleTV since the first gen and have always loved it. Latest version is great for our needs in my house.
I know of a lot of people who like those things, but I'm just amazing compared to the competition. 4k is a relatively new problem, although a deal-breaker in it's own light, but even before 4k came along, the remote is terrible, the UX is mediocre, and did I mention, the remote almost never works right?

Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #27
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
I know of a lot of people who like those things, but I'm just amazing compared to the competition. 4k is a relatively new problem, although a deal-breaker in it's own light, but even before 4k came along, the remote is terrible, the UX is mediocre, and did I mention, the remote almost never works right?
You mean you're not using a programmable remote?

Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Have you used the 4th gen? It's by far the best user interface on any streaming box I've used. And while I wish the remote were bigger, the touch pad works amazingly well.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #29
Daveb08

Quote:
Have you used the 4th gen? It's by far the best user interface on any streaming box I've used.
Squares within a square! Yup. That's novel. Must have taken their designers years to perfect that concept. Wish we could have that on a smart phone!

Old 04-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveb08 View Post
Squares within a square! Yup. That's novel. Must have taken their designers years to perfect that concept. Wish we could have that on a smart phone!
Not sure what you're referring to.