TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
ilkevinli

Tivo removed Video Podcasts from Tivo service

Has anyone heard why Tivo removed Video podcasts from the Tivo service ? I have 3 Season passes (One passes) setup for 3 video podcasts, and when I noticed it wasn't downloading the new shows, I sent an email to Tivo and received the following response:

Hello Kevin,

I am following up on your concern below.

As of March 26th 2015, Video Podcasts have been removed from TiVo and are in the process of being removed from the TiVo Service. Existing MPEG4 feeds that were previously available under Video Podcasts are being transitioned and gradually being made available through Web Video Hotlists. Please note, however, that Web Video Hotlists do not currently show up as Streaming options in a OnePass setup either.

Though Download Manager is still available under Find TV & Movies, no new content will be downloaded as the feeds have now been removed from the TiVo Service.

I loved the ability to have the Tivo download the podcasts. Such a shame.

I truly apologize for this change that has affected your user experience and your concern has been passed along to the respective team.

Best Regards,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Program Manager @ TiVo Inc.

ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
atmuscarella

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=527045

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
ilkevinli

Crap. Sorry I missed that. Thanks.

ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
CybrFyre

would be nice if we could at least point the tivo at the direct RSS feed and have it auto download from the RSS feed instead of via whatever backing store the Tivo service was using (I know the downloads used to include RSS feed functionality, but you had to manually initiate downloads).

CybrFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
leiff

This was how I watched CNET vids. Can anyone reccomend easy alternative? Any android programs that can view a playlist from CNET so I can get all recent vids to play at once and be able to quickly skip to the next one? I'll miss having twit podcasts also. Android on my tablet from now on I guess. And how about my NASA universe podcast? Where should I get this?

leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
mattack

The Podcasts app on iOS will do all of that (and I have said before, I admittedly WATCH the podcasts on my iPad or iPhone usually nowadays, but liked having the duplicate downloads on the Tivo too)..

There almost certainly are nearly equivalent apps for Android.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
This was how I watched CNET vids. Can anyone reccomend easy alternative? Any android programs that can view a playlist from CNET so I can get all recent vids to play at once and be able to quickly skip to the next one? I'll miss having twit podcasts also. Android on my tablet from now on I guess. And how about my NASA universe podcast? Where should I get this?
You can get them on a roku 3 that is what I have to do now

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #8
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The Podcasts app on iOS will do all of that (and I have said before, I admittedly WATCH the podcasts on my iPad or iPhone usually nowadays, but liked having the duplicate downloads on the Tivo too)..

There almost certainly are nearly equivalent apps for Android.
Yes, my Android podcast app (Pocket Casts) collects the cnet podcasts among others. I watch them from my phone via Chromecast.

The extra layers (phone/chromecast) are not a desirable alternative for me. I want to see this content alongside all my other content on my TiVo.

Blech

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Yes, my Android podcast app (Pocket Casts) collects the cnet podcasts among others. I watch them from my phone via Chromecast.

The extra layers (phone/chromecast) are not a desirable alternative for me. I want to see this content alongside all my other content on my TiVo.

Blech
I also have other options for watching like my Roku or my Chromecast but for me it served as a reminder dead smack in my face and on my TV.

I use OnePass for House of Cards, Orange is the new black and Community in the same manner. I can watch them via other means but it's nice to have the reminder of a new show and it's nice to do everything right inside the Tivo.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #10
beryrinaldo

Sure, there are plenty of alternatives, but none simpler to navigate and track than having these video podcasts automatically download and show up in My Shows where I can watch them from the comfort of my couch on the biggest screen in the house. Going to a separate app, or device just makes what was a very simple process more painful. Please bring this back, TiVo!

beryrinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #11
Mikeguy

Speaking to the choir, here. Good to let the big T know, if you haven't yet done so.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #12
netroot

I don't understand why they would take away this simple feature that is so useful. Tivo are you really going to push us out of your environment to another device? It doesn't make sense. I have been watching my Apple TV more. Please bring it back!

netroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
dschwartz

Yeah, and boy does the Apple TV Podcasts app suck too!

dschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:41 AM   #14
CybrFyre

the hotlists app isn't too bad.. missing subscribe & remember where I left off features, tho

CybrFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #15
Anotherpyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwartz View Post
That's why I use the Downcast app. Grabbed it when Apple
only supported podcasts through iTunes and syncing. Kept it after their app came out and had less functionality.

Anotherpyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #16
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwartz View Post
What sucks about it? Click, watch, done.