TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How useful is the "left me I filtering in My Shows?
I have it turned off - takes up too much real estate! 15 46.88%
It is on, but frankly, I forget it is there. 4 12.50%
I use one or two options from time to time - I could take or leave it! 7 21.88%
I have modified the order and elements of the list - it makes finding content easier. 9 28.13%
It is a great start, now break out genre and other defined filtering elements. 2 6.25%
Allow me to create my own filtering options such as user profiles (how would you tag content?) 6 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Content management filtering / folders

We have seen a lot of threads over the years with people asking for content management capabilities - generally in the form of "custom folders"

TiVo implemented a filtering system a year or so back and I am wondering how many people actually use it, ignore it or simply disable it.

I use it quite a bit for devices, partially watched, movies and video providers.

I am going to start a poll and let's discuss - would you like to see this expanded with custom options like profiles or does it just get in your way?

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Dang autocorrect! That should say - How useful is the "left menu" filtering in My Shows!

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had it turned off initially as I didn't like the reduced width of the list. However I accumulated a lot of movies on my TiVo and they started to clutter the list so I ultimately ended up turning it back on. However I limited the categories to All, TV Shows, Movies, Video Providers and Devices.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
atmuscarella

I turned it off and it is staying off.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
mattack

I checked the 2nd and 3rd options.

I have it on, but have MOST of the options turned off. I know I have partially watched (though admittedly that is sometimes "cluttered" with things that I check to make sure they're the full recording, or for some other reason start but don't finish - but didn't actually WATCH)..

and I think one other, but I honestly don't remember which one.

I use All the VAST majority of the time. The main reason is that I want to be in the folder of the show as I delete a show, usually (to watch the next one perhaps). But also, as I have mentioned before, because you can't TivoTivo to get back from partially watched to all.. I actually even think the way it CURRENTLY works is the "right" way, to be the most consistent overall.... But is less useful _for me_.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I always* use "All". I didn't know you could just eliminate that whole column. But I think I knew you could customize it.

* except when I don't. I have occasionally selected some other the options just to see what they reveal. But I rarely TiVo movies. I don't TiVo live sports. So, really, most everything is TV shows. Also, once I start to watch something, I usually finish it in that sitting. If I give up and abandon a show, I usually just delete it right then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
jcthorne

Your poll needs another possible response. Turned it off because it does not work correctly for me.

I would have it on and customize it IF it actually put things where they belong 95+%. I tried using it for a week or so and continually had to look for things multiple times as they were not filed correctly. Gave up and went back to an alpha list of folders. My list is only 5 screens long with folders on so its not that slow without the categories.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Chose the first and last options. Turned off, AND want user profiles.

I'm not a fan of clutter. As Dan said, I don't like the titles getting cut off. The 3rd column is mostly unnecessary. I'd say either show the actual program descriptions or get rid of the 3rd column.

But more than anything I'd prefer user profiles. I don't record enough to need filters for my stuff. I want to be able to filter out the metric ton of crap the rest of my family records.

But it should be done intelligently... I would rather not have the extra step of selecting a profile every time I sit down. I'd like the profile to be sticky and remain the active profile unless/until I manually switch to another profile. That way everybody's bedroom Minis or whatever can all default to their own profiles.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
innocentfreak

I didn't even realize you could turn it off. Shows how much I play with my TiVo these days. I will end up turning it off since I never use it.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I use it more then I thought I would. I commonly go to devices and video providers - I also will select movies to see what is available. The filtering is great if your my shows lists gets pretty long. I also think TiVo could add a "New" filter (simple list) sorted by record date to address Removing the ability to turn off folders in the main list view.

I set most recordings for KUID ( and delete after watching) but I can also see "Going away Soon" coming in handy if I used a different setting.

@jcthorne - I don't understand what you mean by "things were not filed correctly". I supose most offinsive would be non-sports being categorized as sports? I have noticed the source systems for genre metadata tend to be pretty generous in their definition of sport content at times - however, I don't see how tivo could classify it wrong with any regularity, since most are system classifications (Delete soon) and others are simle genre classifications (Movies, TV Series, Kids, Sports).

I know you don't use it now - but it would be interesting to research an example or two by Looking at TVDB for the metadata.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-14-2015, 05:14 AM   #11
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I use it more then I thought I would. I commonly go to devices and video providers - I also will select movies to see what is available. The filtering is great if your my shows lists gets pretty long. I also think TiVo could add a "New" filter (simple list) sorted by record date to address Removing the ability to turn off folders in the main list view.

I set most recordings for KUID ( and delete after watching) but I can also see "Going away Soon" coming in handy if I used a different setting.

@jcthorne - I don't understand what you mean by "things were not filed correctly". I supose most offinsive would be non-sports being categorized as sports? I have noticed the source systems for genre metadata tend to be pretty generous in their definition of sport content at times - however, I don't see how tivo could classify it wrong with any regularity, since most are system classifications (Delete soon) and others are simle genre classifications (Movies, TV Series, Kids, Sports).

I know you don't use it now - but it would be interesting to research an example or two by Looking at TVDB for the metadata.

I had news shows showing up in tv series, sports in tv series and movies that did not show up anywhere but in ALL. Over and over I went looking for things by category and kept having to go back and look in all to find the evening news or a movie I knew I had recorded. If I have to search twice, its LESS than useless it costs time vs saving it.

Admittedly some of my content is pulled from this or another tivo and edited for commercial and pulled back but ALL of my content has full metadata including programId and seriesId. But even with that, many of the errors were recorded content, not transfers.

Classifying the local evening news as tv show some days and news on others may seem like an interesting commentary on the state of news shows in this country but its not useful in finding the show when I sit down for dinner.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Mostly what I see is news with a classification of sports - I suppose it makes sense, but I find it a stretch.

Tivo excludes children's programming out of everything but the kids filter - even if it fits other categories.

That said, I cannot think of a single instance that has been completely wrong (a stretch maybe, but not wrong). I am not saying it has never happened - I have simply never noticed it. I wonder what is up with your programming....

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
trip1eX

Content management filtering / folders

I leave it (the filter) on. I used it a few times at first but since haven't bothered. I think I just find it quicker to keep my thumb on the channel up/down button, quickly page to what I am looking for and then move up to the arrows to select the show. I have a 1tb drive so it keeps the number of shows manageable. I keep almost buying a 3tb drive but then realize I don't watch a lot of what I record already. I have enough for a rainy day before counting Netflix as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I leave it (the filter) on. I used it a few times at first but since haven't bothered. I think I just find it quicker to keep my thumb on the channel up/down button, quickly page to what I am looking for and then move up to the arrows to select the show. I have a 1tb drive so it keeps the number of shows manageable. I keep almost buying a 3tb drive but then realize I don't watch a lot of what I record already. I have enough for a rainy day before counting Netflix as it is.

I started first using it as the quickest way to get to my PyTiVo share, Other TiVo's, Suggestions and Video providers. Those menu items are all the way down at the bottom of the list making it several keystrokes away.

I have started using it more recently to check what movies I might have available and to manage content that is going away soon.

It took me a while, but I have gotten really used to it as a feature. Hopefully, TiVo will continue to mature it - I could eventually see them adding the ability to create custom filters to a limited degree.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
trip1eX

Quote:
I started first using it as the quickest way to get to my PyTiVo share, Other TiVo's, Suggestions and Video providers. Those menu items are all the way down at the bottom of the list making it several keystrokes away.
hit enter (I mean 30 second skip) and you skip to the end

Last edited by trip1eX; 03-17-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #16
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
hit enter and you skip to the end

The enter button is way at the bottom

The other option is to simply page down two or three clicks. Both options require you to re-position your hand from the navigation / select circle. And for most that means actually looking at the remote.

For me it is faster to keep my thumb on the navigation circle and look at the TV... For others, maybe not.

I moved devices to the top of the list and video providers just under that. Left / down and I can select the Media Room TiVo.

Left / down / down and I can select Netflix

Easier (For me)

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
trip1eX

Quote:
The enter button is way at the bottom

The other option is to simply page down two or three clicks. Both options require you to re-position your hand from the navigation / select circle. And for most that means actually looking at the remote.

For me it is faster to keep my thumb on the navigation circle and look at the TV... For others, maybe not.

I moved devices to the top of the list and video providers just under that. Left / down and I can select the Media Room TiVo.

Left / down / down and I can select Netflix

Easier (For me)
Sorry meant 30 second skip not "enter." Not quite as far from the arrow keys. And same number of key presses possibly less.

On my Roamio all I do is press 30 second skip and it takes me to Netflix icon.

On the Mini it doens't let me edit out the video providers I don't care about (which is another example of the Mini experience being different) so I have to hit 30 second skip and press up arrow twice.

Last edited by trip1eX; 03-17-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
mattack

A news shows is a TV series, so I don't see that particular one as a wrong classification... e.g. NBC Nightly News is a TV series.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #19
jroysdon

I enjoy it, but would like to customize/mix-and-match. Example: As there is a Kids one, I would like none of the other to have any Kids shows. How about a way to mark SPs as "Favorites" and have that be a category (my point being to filter out all of my SOs junk that are far from my favorite). That and just let me tag shows with my name, my wife's name, each kids' name, etc. Then we could just filter based on who is going to watch or be the show-picker.

MythDora 4.0-10.21 (2007-2010) (P/S died)
Philips DirecTV DSR6000 Lifetime (6/8/02 109hrs) (6/30/02 TurboNet) (TiVoWeb 1.9.4) (sold 2003)
jroysdon is offline   Reply With Quote