TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-20-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
westtown73

Comcast vs. FIOS in Philly

Does anyone have any experience with FIOS in Philadelphia? I am moving into an apartment building in Philly next month and was amazed that the building offers a choice between Comcast and FIOS. I plan on contacting both to see what they have to offer, what their reaction is when I ask for cable cards, etc. But before I do that, I thought I would check here to see if anyone has been in this situation before. FWIW, I have FIOS where I live now after switching from Comcast and have been happy with FIOS.

westtown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
HarperVision

In the opinion of many here, FiOS is the best provider to have with a TiVo.

BTW, if you happen to have a Slingbox that you're hooking up, I've been trying to do a test in Philly with Fios or comcast for a while now to see if comcast is throttling the connection if you wouldn't mind giving me Guest access for a day or so? It's completely harmless and secure and you can knock me off at any time.

I'm trying to get my parents, in Bucks County, to switch from comcast to FiOs for this very reason.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
westtown73

Sorry, I don't have a Slingbox so I can't help. Thanks for the tip about Fios and Tivo.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I can't even imagine there are folks that prefer Comcast, it's been about 6 years here and every day I thank the stars that I have FiOS and there's no Comcast in my life.
I can't think of a single thing Comcast ever did better at, other than annoying me.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
One advantage Comcast has for a TiVo owner is that their VOD service is available on TiVo. Other then that I think FIOS wins out on all other accounts.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Comcast has Xfinity on demand on TiVo.

I'm going to miss it when I move away from here.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
One advantage Comcast has for a TiVo owner is that their VOD service is available on TiVo. Other then that I think FIOS wins out on all other accounts.
I guess that could be a plus for some, but I can count the number of times I used VOD when I had a Comcast box on one hand, so clearly I'm not their market demographic

Old 03-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah I'm the same way. I have a box specifically to watch VOD and I can't even remember the last time I turned it on. Although if it were integrated into TiVo I might use it more. I use Netflix, Amazon and Vudu more now that they're on TiVo.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
mahermusic
Deadlines Amuse Me

I've had both, and definitely prefer Comcast for my needs. Not to mention, Fios charges for every little thing. We also had a couple add'l issues with Fios that we didn't have with Comcast. And, Comcast doesn't charge me ANY extras. Even my two cable cards are free. Fios YMMV.

TiVo Series 3 - TiVo TCD648250B - Activated 2/25/2007
mahermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Oreo10

I'm in the suburbs of Philly. I have had Comcast forever, they are very difficult to deal with and when switching to TiVo made things very tough but got things working and the bill back to normal after an FCC complaint. I have looked into switching but hear Verizon is just as bad and the lack of VOD is a problem for the other members of the household.

When I was looking into switching to Fios I said I needed cablecards and they were very reluctant and told me I could only request them after they installed boxes and I signed a contract, that really deterred me from switching. The internet speeds I get with Comcast (120 mb/s) and channels are hard to beat so for now they stay.

Oreo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
westtown73

I ended up staying with FIOS. One of the main reasons is that I can take my cable card and wireless router up to Philly. Hopefully, that will reduce some of the risk of installation problems. The competitive package from Comcast included the 105mbps download speed, but nothing guaranteed for upload speeds. I will need to do a lot of video teleconferencing and felt better about knowing what the upload speed would be. Now to see what reality brings...

Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
Bigg

FIOS is far superior in terms of picture quality. That being said, they're not as good as they used to be, and it may not always be that way if Comcast steps up their game wit H.264. But for now, FIOS is king of the QAM providers.

They are required by law to provide cablecards.

Comcast's internet is "Half fast" as Verizon says at 105/10 or 105/20, but virtually no one needs more than 10mbps upload anyway. Certainly videoconferencing, gaming, and the like don't need that much. Comcast's internet is pretty awesome, FIOS's advantage is all on the TV side.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #13
mahermusic
Deadlines Amuse Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
FIOS is far superior in terms of picture quality.
Not with me they weren't.... by a LONG shot. But listen, your OPINION matters to some.

TiVo Series 3 - TiVo TCD648250B - Activated 2/25/2007
mahermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahermusic View Post
Not with me they weren't.... by a LONG shot. But listen, your OPINION matters to some.
What was? DirecTV?

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote