TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
schatham

Why is Comcast website so difficult?

I decided I'm not really a cord cutter and like having a lot of channels. So I try to upgrade.

Comcast is messed up. I went online trying to upgrade my channels I get. Now this would be simple going to my local office, but online seems impossible. I select upgrade and choose what I want and follow the process until it forces me to add a self instal kit.

At this point I go to chat and explain all I want to do is upgrade the channels I get. The chat rep keeps insisting I need a box. I tell him I have a cable card and have service already. So I wait again while he checks and comes back again telling me I need a box. frustrated I send cancel message and leave the site.

I guess I need to go to the local office tomorrow.

schatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatham View Post
I guess I need to go to the local office tomorrow.
Can they not upgrade your channels via a phone call? (800-Comcast)

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Bigg

Their system is not set up for CableCards. There are less than 1 million CableCards in the US in total, and that includes all cable companies, as well as Verizon FIOS, Frontier FIOS, and the part of Cinci Bell's FiOptics that's still QAM.

Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
There are less than 1 million CableCards in the US in total...
Wow, that's startling.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
schatham

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Can they not upgrade your channels via a phone call? (800-Comcast)
I did this after the web problem. So the story gets even better. I call and they make the changes and the tv works. Great. Then I try to go on my computer and I have no internet. This can not be a coincidence. I call and do the send signal automated thing. Does not work. So I call and get an agent and the first person put in the wrong code and that's why my internet did not work.

Now she's trying to find the right code and she tells me I can't have those changes I want. She keeps trying to give me a phone line because it will be cheaper. Yea, for a year then bamb.

So in the end I went back to my Blast plus with digital economy and HBO. Internet works, tv still has all the extra channels that should disappear soon. I hope when they do drop the channels back they down don't screw up the cable card and I still get tv.

What a nice Sunday afternoon.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
schatham

Quote:
Their system is not set up for CableCards. There are less than 1 million CableCards in the US in total, and that includes all cable companies, as well as Verizon FIOS, Frontier FIOS, and the part of Cinci Bell's FiOptics that's still QAM.
My cable card is all set up. This should be like a normal plan change.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
krkaufman

Quote:
So in the end I went back to my Blast plus with digital economy and HBO. Internet works, tv still has all the extra channels that should disappear soon. I hope when they do drop the channels back they down don't screw up the cable card and I still get tv.
Ugh, that's gonna make for an ugly bill w/ all those partial charges and credits.

And here's hoping that their system doesn't flag one of those changes as a discontinuation of your original bundle, bumping you up to full retail charges.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
Bigg

Quote:
My cable card is all set up. This should be like a normal plan change.
You are correct. But the word should doesn't really work with Comcast.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
lessd

Quote:
You are correct. But the word should doesn't really work with Comcast.
I have changed Comcast plans many times and never had any problem, maybe that is because I go to the Comcast customer retention reps.

Comcast On-Line service sucks, don't ever use it as you can get a better deal talking with their reps. directly.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have changed Comcast plans many times and never had any problem, maybe that is because I go to the Comcast customer retention reps.

Comcast On-Line service sucks, don't ever use it as you can get a better deal talking with their reps. directly.
True.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
schatham

Update. When they made the change back to Blast Plus, nothing changed except I lost HBO and still kept getting more channels than I should have.

Now I don't mind getting extra channels but I want my HBO more than those channels. I called today to see why and the rep apparently inactivated my cable card. He got it working and HBO is back working. I'll only go to the local office to make changes from now on.

I guess you can't make changes without risking things when you use a cable card.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
tomhorsley

Quote:
I guess you can't make changes without risking things when you use a cable card.
I wouldn't say that. They screw up changes just as bad on their own cable boxes :-).

tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
stark

I had the same cablecard problem when I went through the retention process. The process deactivated the cable cards on my two tivos.

stark is offline   Reply With Quote