TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
dcline414

Selling TiVo with "Scheduled" Lifetime Service

I just took advantage of the $99 lifetime service offer on our Premiere, which we have already replaced with a Roamio OTA. The TiVo is already listed on eBay and the auction ends in two days.

After I called and paid to accept the lifetime upgrade offer, it appears it will not take effect until a full month from now, showing up as "scheduled plan":

The support section of the TiVo site says you must call and have the box removed from your account before transferring to a new owner. Will I be able to do this before shipping the premiere to the winning bidder if the lifetime service is still a future scheduled plan?

dcline414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
replaytv
Princ insuficiet lit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
I just took advantage of the $99 lifetime service offer on our Premiere, which we have already replaced with a Roamio OTA. The TiVo is already listed on eBay and the auction ends in two days.

After I called and paid to accept the lifetime upgrade offer, it appears it will not take effect until a full month from now, showing up as "scheduled plan":

The support section of the TiVo site says you must call and have the box removed from your account before transferring to a new owner. Will I be able to do this before shipping the premiere to the winning bidder if the lifetime service is still a future scheduled plan?
I have bought a lot of used lifetime TiVos and I have never had the prior owner remove the box from their account. And never had any problems.

I did almost buy a lifetimed TiVo that had 'scheduled' lifetime, and didn't feel too good about it so called TiVo. They said that the person had paid for TiVo, but the current owner could cancel the payment and leave me without the lifetime.

replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I did almost buy a lifetimed TiVo that had 'scheduled' lifetime, and didn't feel too good about it so called TiVo. They said that the person had paid for TiVo, but the current owner could cancel the payment and leave me without the lifetime.
Hmm... so if you were the seller and had no intent of scamming anyone, what would you do to reassure prospective buyers?

I assume the eBay Money back guarantee would cover this if service were cancelled—TiVo has a 30 day cancellation policy, which in my situation would expire two days before the end of the 30 day eBay protection that starts in two days at the end of the auction.

I feel like canceling a 7-day auction after 5 days and several bids would be improper, but would I be better off doing this anyway and just relisting it in a month?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
replaytv
Princ insuficiet lit

Quote:
Hmm... so if you were the seller and had no intent of scamming anyone, what would you do to reassure prospective buyers?

I assume the eBay Money back guarantee would cover this if service were cancelled—TiVo has a 30 day cancellation policy, which in my situation would expire two days before the end of the 30 day eBay protection that starts in two days at the end of the auction.

I feel like canceling a 7-day auction after 5 days and several bids would be improper, but would I be better off doing this anyway and just relisting it in a month?
I think, beings how I wouldn't plan on cheating the person that won the bid, I would go ahead and go through with the sale, but only after getting the OK from the person that was buying it with them knowing the situation. If they weren't comfortable with that, then I would cancel the deal, wait a month, then relist it as a 'but it now' for the price that it sold for, and tell the person that won it before to buy it. I would list it at a time that the buyer could be available to buy it immediately.

replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Wait a month.
Selling now is not worth the hassle of a buyer that doesn't understand the situation or trust you.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Actually canceling would be the right thing to do since there is an error (or at least a small discrepancy) in the listing. The potential problem with lifetime even if you don't plan to screw the bidder is an omission at best and/or potentially worse.

Cancel the bids and send messages to the bidders that you plan to relist. You can message them again when you relist.

waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #7
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Actually canceling would be the right thing to do since there is an error (or at least a small discrepancy) in the listing.
Actually, the unit does have lifetime as the auction says, so there is no discrepancy. Wanting to provide as much information as possible, I included the screenshot above and the TSN in the auction description.

I plan to provide my contact info to the buyer since I've never bought or sold a used TiVo before (TiVo actually says on their website that it is preferable for both the buyer and seller to contact them at the same time to transfer a unit with lifetime service). But since it sounds like I don't actually need to contact TiVo and provide them the buyer's info in advance (as their website also indicates) for a successful transfer, I can just send the TiVo.

Really, the buyer is getting a better deal because they could threaten to cancel within the window after the transfer and possibly get a deal on other equipment or service. Otherwise they will just get a box with lifetime plus half a month and never know the difference.

The only reason the lifetime isn't effective immediately is because TiVo wanted to collect an extra $15 for my 37th month before letting me pay the extra $99 for lifetime. It's all paid and I'm not canceling anything so in all likelihood the buyer will never know the specifics of lifetime plus 2 weeks.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I have bought a lot of used lifetime TiVos and I have never had the prior owner remove the box from their account. And never had any problems.
By the way, this is very helpful info... thank you. TiVo makes transfers sound much more (unnecessarily) complicated:

Transferring a TiVo Device to a New Owner
"We recommend you and the new owner contact TiVo Customer Support at the same time. If this is not possible, please contact us before the new owner so we can prepare the transfer for the new owner. We will need the new owner's full name and email address."

Old 01-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #9
trip1eX

I would cancel too. I wouldnd't want to sit there and explain scheduled lifetime to a winning bidder.

Buyer could come back and file claim against you and have some grounds for it.

Make sure you keep an eye on your cc bill afterwards. I had a buyer purchase a lifetime warranty on a brand new Premiere I sold and it was charged to me.

also annoying to me to see 10 Tivos still on my account that are owned by 8 different people besides me. I asked Tivo to take them off my account, but Tivo gave me some spiel about it could disrupt service or some such thing for the other owners.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:36 AM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I used to have a bunch of old TiVos on my account that had been sold. I created a second TiVo account and had TiVo move those units to the second account. Now I don't see them on my primary account any more.

Premiere (retired)
TiVo Mini (v1) x 3
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Actually, the unit does have lifetime as the auction says...
Actually, it doesn't, because it doesn't actually get lifetime until/unless TiVo gets paid/takes action to cause them to get paid that $99.

They control when you get to pay them that $99.

You're counting your chickens before they've hatched, as they used to say.

If *anything* interferes with that payment happening, then it won't get lifetime.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Actually, it doesn't, because it doesn't actually get lifetime until/unless TiVo gets paid/takes action to cause them to get paid that $99.

They control when you get to pay them that $99.

You're counting your chickens before they've hatched, as they used to say.

If *anything* interferes with that payment happening, then it won't get lifetime.
You misunderstood... The lifetime service has already been paid and TiVo emailed the receipt.

Because they insisted I had to wait until 3 years to the day, the autobill monthly service fee was already pending when I paid to convert to lifetime service, and even though they refunded the $15 the box apparently already has service though the next month, at the end of which the lifetime automatically takes effect.

Not sure why lifetime doesn't start immediately when paid, but either way the box now has service for the remainder of its life.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Wait.
If a group of people who have the experience to understand it have any doubts, some yokel that buys it would likely plug it in and see on the system information screen that the account status is 3: in good standing and not 5: lifetime product service as advertised. That's when the auction will become an unpleasant hassle for both buyer and seller and your ebay feedback record.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
You misunderstood... The lifetime service has already been paid and TiVo emailed the receipt.
I'd bet that your credit card statement says otherwise - but that's not really relevant.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #15
lessd

You may get away with this action as your not intending to screw the buyer, but if the buyer knows anything about how TiVo works you can have a big problem, just cancel the action saying the TiVo stopped working, and put the unit back up when you have the lifetime. Too many possible E-bay problems otherwise, as said above.

I sold a TiVo about 6 months ago and the buyer has not even movie the unit yet, so with that buyer you would not have had any problem. (in about a month or so I will move the unit into my dead TiVo account).

Old 01-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #16
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
You may get away with this action as your not intending to screw the buyer, but if the buyer knows anything about how TiVo works you can have a big problem....
I will just communicate early and often with the winning bidder and let them know what is going on. This was our first Tivo and my first time trying to figure out how to sell one. I may not have done it exactly right, but in the end I will make sure the buyer gets exactly what I promised.

We are absolutely committed to not carrying a balance on a credit card ever again, so we really can't afford to wait and sell it next month. The Roamio OTA was $50, we were billed $15 for monthly service on two units rather than one, and then paid $99 for the lifetime service. I am currently unemployed and paying Tivo $180 instead of the usual $15 this month is something that just won't fit into our tight budget.

It is frustrating because I had run the numbers and planned very carefully so the sale would cover the cost of the lifetime service and new unit, and this whole delay in the lifetime service taking effect throws a huge wrench in the plan.

Hopefully the buyer will understand that I am a trustworthy guy who made an honest mistake, and won't think I am some scam artist trying to screw them over. And the Tivo WILL show the lifetime service AND be beyond my 30 day cancellation window before the deadline to file an eBay buyer protection claim, so the buyer has that assurance as well.

Since I included the same screenshot of my account status that is in my OP in the auction, as well as the TSN for bidders to call and verify the status with TiVo, the pending status of the lifetime service is fully disclosed and not at all misrepresented to anyone who chooses to bid.

Just for future reference, if I wait until closer to the end of my billing period before converting to lifetime in the future, the lifetime service would still take effect at the end of the current service period, and thus only a few days delayed?

It is a bit of a scum bag move on Tivo's part that I called a few days before the rebill (after the 36th month of service was already paid), but they made me wait until the first day of the 37th month to convert to lifetime, and thus charged an extra $15 for this month of service that is now causing such a headache. Maybe if I had actually cancelled then the lifetime service would have taken effect immediately...

Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #17
waynomo
My One Time

What's your eBay feedback score/rating?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 AM   #18
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
What's your eBay feedback score/rating?

I'm hoping the length of time since I joined eBay and the 100% positive feedback bolster my score of 83... just haven't bought or sold a ton of stuff.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:04 AM   #19
waynomo
My One Time

Looks good. It shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #20
unitron

Give the buyer the link to this page so that they can see you're being straight with them about what the deal on the account status changeover is.

If they're going to be a TiVo owner they need to be a member here anyway, although that's not necessary for read-only.

And they can set up an account here and ask the rest of us if this is all legit and we can set their mind at ease.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
And they can set up an account here and ask the rest of us if this is all legit and we can set their mind at ease.
And exactly how would you do that, send the buyer your own guarantee ? I have no reason to believe the seller is trying to screw the buyer, BUT the seller (any E-Bay seller) could cancel the TiVo Lifetime service 29 days after it goes into effect, that would put the buyer over the E-Bay time to dispute the sale. Just saying...

Old 01-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #22
HarperVision

I just did this with my premiere XL and I told the csr that I was selling on eBay so I needed the lifetime to kick in immediately. He said he had to escalate it to some special department who could do that. He gave me a case number and said wait a few days, which I did, and voila now I have lifetime on it before the end of my billing period.

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #23
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
He gave me a case number and said wait a few days, which I did, and voila now I have lifetime on it before the end of my billing period.
My resolution was similar. I emailed TiVo support and explained the situation. They created a separate support ticket for me to provide the buyer, so I just printed the whole exchange and included it with the packing slip.

Quote:
Subject
Transfer Unit and Lifetime Service to New Owner

Discussion Thread
Response (Zachary) 01/17/2015 09:32 AM
Hello David.

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with your questions about Lifetime service and transferring the Premiere over to your buyers account. I have made another case. (xxxxxx-xxxxxx) Give this reference to the person that you sold the TiVo to. This has instructions to explain the product lifetime service. Also they will need to call into us to have the premiere transferred to their account.

The reference number for this inquiry is xxxxxx-xxxxxx. Please refer to this number if you choose to contact us again regarding this request. In order to reply to this email, please log into My Support at www.tivo.com/mysupport. Replies directly to this email will not be received.

Sincerely,
Zachary

TiVo Customer Support Representative
www.tivo.com/support
http://forums.tivo.com

Customer (David Cline) 01/16/2015 09:35 PM

I called and purchased lifetime service on our Premiere (TSN # 746-0001-9088-FDBC) on Wednesday, 1/14, but the unit is not yet showing the lifetime service that I paid for. When I view my account online, it appears that the lifetime service is a future "scheduled plan" that will take effect at the end of the current month of service.

However we decided to sell the Premiere with lifetime service, which we have already completed. I am about to ship the unit to the new owner, but am concerned that person who bought it will find that it does not actually have lifetime service at the time they receive it, which could greatly complicate the transfer.

Is there any way that you can cancel the remaining partial month of service that has already been paid and force the product lifetime service plan that we have already paid for to take effect immediately to simplify the transfer of service to the new owner?

Also, how can I have the box removed from my account so the new owner can add it to theirs? Do I actually need to provide the new owner's name and contact info to TiVo in advance as your support site indicates?

Thank you for your help.
So the buyer essentially gets concierge service from TiVo support activating the Premiere on their account.

Bidders didn't seem too concerned about the situation, and it ended up selling for $340 plus shipping.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #24
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Just for principle, you may want to remove the TSN of your TiVo(s) from the images you pasted.....

Old 01-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #25
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
And exactly how would you do that, send the buyer your own guarantee ? I have no reason to believe the seller is trying to screw the buyer, BUT the seller (any E-Bay seller) could cancel the TiVo Lifetime service 29 days after it goes into effect, that would put the buyer over the E-Bay time to dispute the sale. Just saying...
If the seller was looking to screw the buyer, would they really have even started this thread?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #26
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Just for principle, you may want to remove the TSN of your TiVo(s) from the images you pasted.....
What could anyone do with just the TSN but not the box other than signing it up for potentially unwanted priority updates?