TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
MaxWin100

Lost Signal Problem

I have two Tivos: a Tivo HD and a Tivo Series2. The problem I'm having is only with the Tivo HD. I'll turn on the TV and either find the picture frozen or the screen will be black. A check of the History reveals that certain shows were not recorded because of a "lost signal". Changing the channel several times seems to bring it back, but this keeps happening with increasing frequency. I don't have a problem with the other Tivo.

I have standard cable. No external hard drives. No CableCARD. I don't know what to check or try to resolve this problem. I've only had this Tivo for a couple of months. The problem cropped up after just a few weeks.
MaxWin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
visionary
HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

I think this is the lost channel bug I read about here, it loses analog cable channels if you don't swap the tuners around every few hours....you can search for it on the forum. I never have this as I only do HD over air recordings with my S3, but I am having the freeze reboot V11B bug, so I understand the frustration of why don't they fix this.... maybe the new 11C load just out will fix you too? I am getting madder that Tivo does not put out a list of fixes in a release, this is just plain stupid. Anyway, it is a software bug that should go away soon.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
MaxWin100

Okay. I decided to resurrect this thread and throw myself at the mercy of the community to see if there's anything I can do to try to resolve this problem since not everyone is experiencing it.

I called Tivo shortly after I started having this problem, and the only recommendation they gave me was to put the Tivo in standby mode if I would be away from it for several hours or days. I've been trying this, and it worked....for a few days. Then the problem happened in standby mode.

Could the problem be related to my cable signal? If so, what can I do about it? I rent, so I can't run new cable or replace existing cable. I don't know how the cable is split, and there's really nothing I can do to change it. Is it the quality of the coax? If so, where would I go to buy new and what would I look for in specs?

Is it the video output settings on the Tivo? I don't know what mode to pick, since it seems even my TV's owner's manual doesn't spell out specifically what formats it supports.

What about a cable signal amplifier? What about switching video cables? I'm currently using the component cables that came with the Tivo. I've read about HDMI problems, but would that help the problem?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What signal strength does your TiVo show? I believe this setting works differently when you are without CABLECards so I can't give you the exact menu path. But I ran my THD without CC's for a while and I know there is a Signal Strength page if you hunt around in the menus. You may have weak (or possibly too strong) signal.

You should be able to have your cable co come out and check the signal, at no charge. If there is a problem either he/she can fix it, or you will at least have ammunition to use on your landlord to get him/her to fix it.

Search the TiVo.com support pages documents for signal strength and other possible issues to troubleshoot. They have some detailed stuff if you can find it. Just make sure it fits your case: HD, no CC's (analog cable).

Call TiVo again. It can't hurt.

I assume you have read the thread that is dedicated to this problem, although it has a misleading title. In that thread is this post by bkdtv, from which I quote:

Quote:
If you want to use a TivoHD, and have it work reliability, you need to use it with SD/HD channels from an antenna or SD/HD channels from digital cable. The TivoHD is not a reliable DVR for basic/analog cable; if you want to use basic cable right now, you should look at a different DVR. Analog support on the TivoHD will probably be fixed eventually, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon, because users already report the same problem under the upcoming 11.0d software.

If TiVo could simply roll back to an earlier version of a driver, I'm sure they would have done so by now. There must be something significant that is stopping them from doing that. The 11.0 software introduced MPEG-4 and VC1 support for Netflix and Amazon HD; at this point, TiVo can't really roll back to a driver that disables Netflix and Amazon HD just to support the smaller number of customers with basic cable.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
MaxWin100

There's no signal strength (that I can find) for analog cable channels. When I get to that menu option, I get a message that tells me it only applies to digital channels.

I am having my provider come out and check the signal. Just to be sure. I'll ask for new coax cables too. Is there a trick to knowing and finding the best coax? I have a box of pieces of it I've accumulated over the years, but every time I get hooked up, the tech tells me the stuff I've been using is junk.

I also just read a thread here about the transfer restrictions on shows recorded on digital channels with CableCard. That would be a HUGE step backwards. The whole reason I own Tivos is because I can transfer from room to room to computer. If that feature goes away, I'll be looking for a new DVR solution.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Cable guys usually will make up cables for you quickly and free. Thus why trust an old one lying around?

What is your cable co.? Time Warner puts copy protection on all digital channels except OTA. Verizon FIOS doesn't put it on any channels. I believe the others vary from region to region. I am the author of TVAP, a program that automates processing of TTG videos (see signature). I recently went from analog to digital cable on Time Warner -- very disappointing.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

Also a TIVO series 2 and analog TivoHD guy here. I also have the TivoHD freeze and lose channels bug.

It isn't cables, it isn't signal strength, it's simply a bug. I've used my TivoHD in several completely different enviroments with the same results. You just got to get used to rebooting the TV often.

I think maybe the one reason Tivo hasn't really tried to fix this though is the fix is coming from your Cable Co. I, as most will be, soon will be forced to use an analog converter or cablecard.. and thus.. lose the analog tuner in the HD. Thus I expect the problem will be fixed for once and for all.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
MaxWin100

Switching to digital cable might fix the lost signal problem, but then it introduces another problem which is that shows can no longer be transferred to the computer or another Tivo. That's a feature I rely on. No point in having Tivo without the actual Tivo features.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWin100 View Post
Switching to digital cable might fix the lost signal problem, but then it introduces another problem which is that shows can no longer be transferred to the computer or another Tivo. That's a feature I rely on. No point in having Tivo without the actual Tivo features.
That may be true for you, but it's emphatically not true for most folks. Please don't introduce rumors that aren't true.

Some local cable franchises are forbidding copying of shows, especially those of Time-Warner. If that's true for you, get in touch with your franchise and complain.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
MaxWin100

It introduces a problem for me, and I wouldn't have known about it all if someone else here hadn't casually mentioned it. People need to be aware of these limitations before changing providers and services.

There's no point in complaining to Time Warner. They simply don't care.

I can see Tivo is competing with them on that level as well now.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
EBinSD

I've started having this problem, several times over the last 10 days, Tivo HD loses my analog cable signal. Restarting the Tivo resolves for a day or so.

Called Tivo Support after searching their support forums, where this is described as a known problem they are researching and wanted support calls for. Talked to a knowledgable CSR on first call (!!) and he suggested routing cable through an old VCR to 'filter out' possible digital signals being sent over the cable that is confusing the Tivo HD. But they think it has to do with something coming over the analog cable. They suggested upgrading to digital cable, but part of the joy of owning Tivo is not having to pay the cable monopolists even more money!!
EBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
MJGunn

Just bought and hooked up my HD today, and have had to restart my tivo due to lost signal twice already. Comcast is coming Tuesday to install a cable card for me since I have digital cable in the house, using comcast cable boxes on the other tvs. Will this fix this since the problem seems to be with the analog tuner?
MJGunn is offline   Reply With Quote