TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
oneeighthcuban

Reset to Factory settings, stuck in setup

I need to reset my tivo to factory settings but cannot get out of guided set-up.

I am having an issue similar to one I found in another thread in which my zip code corrupts my tivo data and says "No providers found" for my zip code and surrounding areas (or any for that matter). Her solution ended up being to do a system restore and then do guided set-up again using a different zip code.

No luck finding a way to do a factory reset that doesn't involve "clear and delete everything," an option which I cannot get to. Any help here is much appreciated.
oneeighthcuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Which model do you have?

What is the problem preventing you from getting out of guided setup? Call won't connect or ? What is the error message you get?

You have to get out of GS before you can do anything else.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
woolyster

yeah how do we kickstart a factory reset?

i'm in the same boat. i've tried a bunch of the Kickstart Codes to no avail.
i don't understand what to enter for "Retailer Reset code - initiate factory reset"
seems like that's the big hammer. and i need a big hammer. i don't care about losing recordings. this machine has none.

i'm fiddling with a toshiba sd-h400

Last edited by woolyster : 04-28-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: add brand/model
woolyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Morfious
Happy Roamio user

I'm also looking for a Factory reset code for tivoHD.
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
alansh

If you've made it through guided setup, you can do a clear and delete all.

If you're stuck in guided setup, where/why are you stuck? No phone or LAN available?
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
woolyster

i don't seem to have issues with phone/lan hookup. during the GS i get past the initial connection with Tivo and then i get to a second (or is it 3rd?) connection to Tivo for "Program Update" and about 2 seconds after i see "setting clock" the box restarts. i'm not home right now so i may be slightly off on the quotations. i've tried all the kickstarts codes i could find and no change. still restarts at same point. so... i was wanting to try the Factory Reset.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
ggieseke

woolyster,

There's a good thread that may be relevant at http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=10429929
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
woolyster

hey ggieseke,
that looks very relevant. thanks a bunch. in the meantime, i'm trying to learn the ropes on copying the image from a working sd-h400 to my dud one. looks like that might work. as tivojerry says in that link, the vulnerability may have been due to old s/w gettting new phone numbers. as i recall, that may have been the point where mine went south too. and it had really old s/w in it. the guy i bought it from had it sitting for over a year.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
ggieseke

Try again before getting too complicated - it looks like they solved the problem.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
woolyster

i ended up completing the image copy businesss. in hind sight, wish i'd waited. but... i've learned how to recover from a crashed disk now. good to have an image backed up somewhere. i can't get over how great the tivo communities work.