TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Season Pass Alerts
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #1
mrschimpf

Younger on TVLand

You would think with this show having a Showcase in TiVo it would be a breeze to record...but of course it's on a Viacom network, which means their listings (aka the impossible OnePass for The Daily Show which will never be resolved) are created by people who have no business making up TV listings.

When I set up the OnePass, it had the first two episodes airing on March 31 as new half-hours consecutively...which makes all the sense in the world. Now though, Viacom decided to re-send the listings out to make it an hour premiere in an hour timeslot with 101 and 102 in it. This of course makes the TiVo think the Thursday rerun is also new, but it's just repeats of 101 or 102.

Not hard to delete them, but Viacom really needs to learn how to use the (R) flag like everybody else.

mrschimpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
rahnbo

So does Spike for the show Cops. What a pain even though its dead last on my Season, I mean OnePasses.

rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
mrschimpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
So does Spike for the show Cops. What a pain even though its dead last on my Season, I mean OnePasses.
That one I didn't even bother to go with a pass at all; I set up a manual record for Saturdays at 7pm local time for that one because it just records every single one they have. Thankfully it's a steady timeslot and any repeats are easily deleted out of ToDo.

mrschimpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschimpf View Post
That one I didn't even bother to go with a pass at all; I set up a manual record for Saturdays at 7pm local time for that one because it just records every single one they have. Thankfully it's a steady timeslot and any repeats are easily deleted out of ToDo.
I think I'll try that again. The last time Cops wasn't on but something I wanted to see was airing...so I only got part of that show.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschimpf View Post
You would think with this show having a Showcase in TiVo it would be a breeze to record...but of course it's on a Viacom network, which means their listings (aka the impossible OnePass for The Daily Show which will never be resolved) are created by people who have no business making up TV listings.
Actually, its "The Nightly Show" that was the problem recently..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
Though regarding this and the Daily Show, did it/would it actually have recorded episodes?

I know like I sound like I'm defending it, but the guide data seems to be a LOT better nowadays (last MANY years).

I still OCD-ly often delete these reruns I see while skimming the To Do list (even handier to do on the iOS app)... But nowadays, POSSIBLY with the exception of The Nightly Show, since I think I deleted a bunch YESTERDAY that were for TODAY, if I wait, the extras eventually go away..

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
sharkster

Thanks for the heads up. I have this scheduled so I'll have to check that Tivo. I have stupid situations like this for several shows. I don't understand, just basically, why if a show does NOT have the 'new' tag on it, it gets recorded anyway. This spans over several channels including TVLand, and has for some time now.

There are a couple of shows I've watched for years but have to just manually record to avoid having nine million airings record throughout the week.

Ha! I'm like you, Matt - I frequently cruise through my 'to do' list and delete the stuff that shouldn't be in there.

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I still OCD-ly often delete these reruns I see while skimming the To Do list (even handier to do on the iOS app)... But nowadays, POSSIBLY with the exception of The Nightly Show, since I think I deleted a bunch YESTERDAY that were for TODAY, if I wait, the extras eventually go away..
Yes, when it comes to Cops it records all the darn time unless I delete them first, which is more of a pain now with the delete confirmation.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have this scheduled so I'll have to check that Tivo. I have stupid situations like this for several shows. I don't understand, just basically, why if a show does NOT have the 'new' tag on it, it gets recorded anyway. This spans over several channels including TVLand, and has for some time now.
Tivos DO NOT AND NEVER HAVE USED a "new tag".

They use the "original air date".

While I, as someone who likes to fiddle with things, *WOULD* prefer a preference to "not record the shows without guide data", I agree that what it does now is mostly the right thing for "regular end users".. i.e. make it easy to use/friendly.

I say "mostly" since a halfway solution that probably would fit _most_ needs (not the Comedy Central issue) would be some kind of "only record in prime time" checkbox. THEN you'd only get duplicates IF they were without guide data AND in prime time.. But then you'd MISS the rare preempted-and-aired-in-the-middle-of-the-night episode if it also didn't have guide data.

"Extra" recordings bug me _less_ than if it had missed a recording I want.. so what it has now is less bad...

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote