TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Season Pass Alerts
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

12 Monkeys remake series on Sifi channel coming soon

I understand it will be out in January 2015 but this is episode remake based on the 12 Monkeys movie staring Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-26/12-m...lot-order-syfy
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

Cool beans. One of my favorites.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Cool beans. One of my favorites.
OK, you're the perfect person to help me understand this. It's one of my favorites, too... which is exactly why I don't want to see it made into a series. The original was near-perfect, and it wouldn't make any sense as a series. But really, I feel that way about most of my faves, whether the original is a book, movie or TV show: I don't want them adapted, or remade.

But most people don't seem to feel that way. Any time a popular work gets adapted to a new medium, people get all excited for it. And then, nine times out of ten, those same people come back bitching about how the adaptation sucks. So, why the excitement? It's like people don't learn from history.

I realize this is an excessively negative attitude to take towards a show that hasn't even started yet. And I know that it could turn out to be a perfectly fine show, on its own terms. But that's the thing -- it will have to be on its own terms. Being an adaptation isn't a plus for it. Odds are, the people who will enjoy it the most will be people who've never seen the movie. Those who have seen the movie will judge the show against it.

There are, in fact, a lot of adaptations that I enjoy -- mostly because I don't know the originals. A show based on a series of books that I haven't read? Great, bring it on. A show based on my own favorite book series? I dread it.

Why doesn't everyone?

</rant>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Oddly enough, this is the one upcoming show that doesn't show up in the new TiVo advance SP search. Unless I'm doing something wrong...

Maybe it's (set) too far in the future?
Old 09-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Oddly enough, this is the one upcoming show that doesn't show up in the new TiVo advance SP search. Unless I'm doing something wrong...
i couldn't find it, either, but since they don't start filming the pilot until november, maybe we're jumping the gun a little by trying to set a sp?
Quote:
Maybe it's (set) too far in the future?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i couldn't find it, either, but since they don't start filming the pilot until november, maybe we're jumping the gun a little by trying to set a sp?
Really? I thought they were advertising it for January...
Old 09-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Really? I thought they were advertising it for January...
you're right, i missed the year on the article, they must have filmed it last november...so we're back to "why can't we set an sp?"...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 09-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
you're right, i missed the year on the article, they must have filmed it last november...so we're back to "why can't we set an sp?"...
It's the time travel, I tell ya...screws up EVERYTHING!
Old 09-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

Weird...Syfy/12 Monkeys says it's coming in January 2015 also.
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Back before the original came out I sat next to First Assistant Director Mark Egerton on a flight from Baltimore to LA. We had an interesting discussion about movie production and direction (he was also a producer on the movie). It was only later that I connected his name to the movie.

Last edited by pdhenry : 09-21-2014 at 07:19 PM.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
OK, you're the perfect person to help me understand this. It's one of my favorites, too... which is exactly why I don't want to see it made into a series. The original was near-perfect, and it wouldn't make any sense as a series. But really, I feel that way about most of my faves, whether the original is a book, movie or TV show: I don't want them adapted, or remade.

But most people don't seem to feel that way. Any time a popular work gets adapted to a new medium, people get all excited for it. And then, nine times out of ten, those same people come back bitching about how the adaptation sucks. So, why the excitement? It's like people don't learn from history.

I realize this is an excessively negative attitude to take towards a show that hasn't even started yet. And I know that it could turn out to be a perfectly fine show, on its own terms. But that's the thing -- it will have to be on its own terms. Being an adaptation isn't a plus for it. Odds are, the people who will enjoy it the most will be people who've never seen the movie. Those who have seen the movie will judge the show against it.

There are, in fact, a lot of adaptations that I enjoy -- mostly because I don't know the originals. A show based on a series of books that I haven't read? Great, bring it on. A show based on my own favorite book series? I dread it.

Why doesn't everyone?

</rant>
I appreciate your sentiments. It's just not how I see the world. Perhaps I'm a glass half full guy? (Or perhaps I'm just used to some of the world sucking at times.)

Each one exists in its own world. No matter how bad this adaption is, it won't tarnish the movie. It's not this sacred thing that can't be revisited. The movie exists as an entity unto itself.

Also I welcome the attempt to explore some ground that I enjoyed. Who knows, it might actually be good. I do agree that there is probably less than a 20% chance that this will be the case, but I'm willing to roll the dice and take that chance because of the potential reward.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I appreciate your sentiments. It's just not how I see the world. Perhaps I'm a glass half full guy? (Or perhaps I'm just used to some of the world sucking at times.)

Each one exists in its own world. No matter how bad this adaption is, it won't tarnish the movie. It's not this sacred thing that can't be revisited. The movie exists as an entity unto itself.

Also I welcome the attempt to explore some ground that I enjoyed. Who knows, it might actually be good. I do agree that there is probably less than a 20% chance that this will be the case, but I'm willing to roll the dice and take that chance because of the potential reward.
What he said.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was a great novel. Blade Runner was a great movie. I'm glad we have both. And if Blade Runner had sucked, we'd still have DADoES.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
PedjaR

Quote:
What he said.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was a great novel. Blade Runner was a great movie. I'm glad we have both. And if Blade Runner had sucked, we'd still have DADoES.
I'd say that generally an adaptation of an excellent book has a much better chance of being real good than a remake of an excellent movie (whether the remake is another movie or a TV series). I can't think of many remakes of real good movies that were as good as the original, but there were more than a few not-quite-as-good-but-pretty-decent ones. For example (and this is restricting it only to relatively recent remakes of Swedish movies which were based on books) Let the Right One In/Let Me in and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
For TV series, sometimes being based on a rather unremarkable movie (say Stargate) may be better than being based on a great film.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
waynomo
My One Time

I liked all versions of LA Cage aux Folles/ The Birdcage.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Fargo was really good as a TV show, so this could be as well.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Fargo was really good as a TV show...

Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Fargo was really good as a TV show, so this could be as well.
True. The series had little to do with the movie. Perhaps that's the recipe.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #18
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
For TV series, sometimes being based on a rather unremarkable movie (say Stargate) may be better than being based on a great film.
Ah, yes. I'd also offer Alien Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Ah, yes. I'd also offer Alien Nation.
Exceptions to the rule in your case?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:38 AM   #20
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Exceptions to the rule in your case?
Nope. Good shows from mediocre movies. If those had been among my favorite movies, it'd be a different scenario.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #21
unitron

Was the original 12 Monkeys movie based on a book?

Was it very faithful to the book?

Maybe the book would lend itself to a series better than it did a movie.

Speaking of PKD (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), the movie Total Recall was (rather loosely, I gather) based on one of his books, and did well enough that someone got to spend someone's money making a television series, Total Recall 2070, which I thought was pretty good, but was so different from the movie that you can't really compare them.

So maybe the 12 Monkeys TV series will be more of a reboot than a remake.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

12 Monkeys was based on an experimental French short film from 1962 called La Jetée.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #23
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
12 Monkeys was based on an experimental French short film from 1962 called La Jetée.
They've shown it a few times on TCM. It'll probably come on again. Fans should setup a wishlist for it.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #24
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek

ABsoLUTEly - the film was great, SKYFRY Channel needs to go find some NEW material to massage into submission, instead of reworking perfectly good material that was already done well!

There are SO many good novels, shortstories and even graphic novels they could make a TV series or even miniseries from ... I recommend they do so!

Quote:

Why doesn't everyone?

</rant>

Old 10-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #25
Grimm1

SyFy Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNHIz1-8aM
Grimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #26
BitbyBlit

Quote:
12 Monkeys is one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite, and I agree. I'm looking forward to this. Since it is a series, I'm assuming they will be taking things in a different direction, so I would just consider this to be an "alternate universe" involving similar major events and people.

Could Syfy have come up with some other random time travel series called 13 Rhinos involving an alien invasion? Or maybe a series about an antique dealer who goes back in time to find his missing sports almanac? Perhaps, but to me most of those specifics are just the backdrop to the actual story.

As long as they do a good job with the details, I'm fine with them sharing the same basic premise as the movie.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #27
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i was able to set up the sp tonight, i think it listed ep1 premier 1/15/2015.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #28
dbranco

Quote:
They've shown it a few times on TCM. It'll probably come on again. Fans should setup a wishlist for it.
If anyone has a wishlist set up for the movie, and notices that it's on the schedule, please post here. Thanks!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #29
thalador

Anything done on the Syfy is doomed. They start out with great shows but when they get expensive they cancel them. Still don't understand what wrestling has to do with syfy but it seems like its their bread and butter now
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #30
Grimm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalador View Post
Anything done on the Syfy is doomed. They start out with great shows but when they get expensive they cancel them. Still don't understand what wrestling has to do with syfy but it seems like its their bread and butter now
That's one of the main reasons they changed the name from Sci-Fi to Syfy....so they could start airing things like wrestling and people wouldn't ask "what does that have to do with Sci-Fi"?
Grimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote