TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #2401
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Once again gents, this thread is not for discussing the negative aspects of ladies you don't appreciate but for posting those that you do. If you don't like a picture then respond with a better one of someone else.
Amen, brotha!

Connie Britton at that 2013 Emmys in September:


__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #2402
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Once again gents, this thread is not for discussing the negative aspects of ladies you don't appreciate but for posting those that you do. If you don't like a picture then respond with a better one of someone else.
OK Mr. thread police. I'm not sure that being in here for less than a year qualifies you to tell everyone else what the rules are. As long as you can post your opinion (and the fact that you have numerous posts with no pics), I'm fine with people discussing the "hawtness" of subjects in the pictures in this thread.

I'm sure Rosie O'Donnell is "hawt" to someone out there but there would certainly be protest if a cleavage picture of her appears in the thread.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #2403
Flop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I'm sure Rosie O'Donnell is "hawt" to someone out there but there would certainly be protest if a cleavage picture of her appears in the thread.
You do realize you just doomed us?
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #2404
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,258
Happy Halloween:


fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #2405
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
There are 3.4 billion women in the world. You have a hard time believing there are tens of thousands of women with a 40+ yr. old body as good or better than Tyra Banks? Do you get out much? Every been to a beach or resort in France, Caribbean, Florida, California, Hawaii, or dozens of other places? Those are just the ones that can be verified with your own lyin' eyes.

Yeah, tens of thousands.

3.4 billion/20,000= 1 Tyra Banks quality 40+ year old body in every 170,000 women.
That's why I always say, the most beautiful women I have ever seen are NOT celebrities, not models, not TV actresses, not movie stars. They are everyday people doing everyday things.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #2406
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Look bud, there are very few pictures of women in this thread with 40 year old bodies that can hold a candle to Tyra Banks and these are the creme of the crop. So, I'm pretty certain there are not tens of thousands of them despite the fact there are 3.2 billion of them in the world. I think she has a great body, you, obviously don't. You also, obviously, have poor taste but nobody's perfect.
So it's only possible to be a hot woman if you are famous? I probably know a dozen women within my own circle of friends and acquaintances that Tyra couldn't hold a candle to. But I guess you are star struck.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #2407
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post

I'm sure Rosie O'Donnell is "hawt" to someone out there but there would certainly be protest if a cleavage picture of her appears in the thread.
Thanks, you've officially ruined lunch


I know that the thread has been hijacked from me a LONG time ago (I was the OP), but I think discussion is fine, but lets have some pictures...please!?

(unfortunately, I usually post from work, so pictures are out for me to post, but I will sure comment!)
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #2408
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,209
Why can't people post pictures from work? Is it because you can't even view them due to internet filters? Because if you can view them, then it's pretty easy to copy the URL and paste it into a post. You don't have to have the ability to download/save/host the picture yourself. Sure, some sites don't allow hotlinking, but if/when that happens, you can just fix it after the fact.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #2409
DUDE_NJX
Registered User
 
DUDE_NJX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,396
I'd think it's because people don't want to browse for pictures to post.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #2410
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Why can't people post pictures from work? Is it because you can't even view them due to internet filters? Because if you can view them, then it's pretty easy to copy the URL and paste it into a post. You don't have to have the ability to download/save/host the picture yourself. Sure, some sites don't allow hotlinking, but if/when that happens, you can just fix it after the fact.
I just don't think it's appropriate and I don't need to accidentally go to a site I shouldn't have in search of that picture. It's just not worth the risk. I'm sure it's not a great idea to even come to this thread. Yeah, I do anyway. Last thing I need is someone to pull up a log of where I'm searching and see the pictures I was looking at or searching for.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #2411
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User
 
tivoboyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I just don't think it's appropriate and I don't need to accidentally go to a site I shouldn't have in search of that picture. It's just not worth the risk. I'm sure it's not a great idea to even come to this thread. Yeah, I do anyway. Last thing I need is someone to pull up a log of where I'm searching and see the pictures I was looking at or searching for.
This. It's not that I *can't* post from work, it's that I don't want to.

Viewing this thread is as bold as I get on my work computer.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #2412
JohnB1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
OK Mr. thread police. I'm not sure that being in here for less than a year qualifies you to tell everyone else what the rules are. As long as you can post your opinion (and the fact that you have numerous posts with no pics), I'm fine with people discussing the "hawtness" of subjects in the pictures in this thread.

I'm sure Rosie O'Donnell is "hawt" to someone out there but there would certainly be protest if a cleavage picture of her appears in the thread.
You are a typing definition of the flaws of this thread. You respond to a post saying just post better pictures with yet more negativity. You have time to research when I started posting but not to find a picture of a nice lady

Ashley Judd, 45ish, on the TV show Missing (2012)


__________________
XBOX Live GamerTag - PotatoMagnet
JohnB1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #2413
Jayjoans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 885
I think Ashley Judd is a very nice addition to this thread. However, does it look to others like maybe she's been prescribed some steroids for something? She used to have a very thin and lean face, but recent pics show it to be much rounder and fuller.

(there, I tried to make a comment without being negative, just observant and curious)
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #2414
JohnB1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,631
Maybe she just got older.
__________________
XBOX Live GamerTag - PotatoMagnet
JohnB1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #2415
Satchel
Registered User
 
Satchel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,381
Incredible, but Pam Anderson got a haircut and it completely makes her look better...


Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #2416
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
Incredible, but Pam Anderson got a haircut and it completely makes her look better...
Disagree. Can't stand short hair on women, and I think that looks awful.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #2417
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
So it's only possible to be a hot woman if you are famous?
Nope, but by and large, television personalities are better looking than 90% of the other females out there which is why you rarely find truly ugly women on TV unless they have great talent and have aged themselves into the homeliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj
I probably know a dozen women within my own circle of friends and acquaintances that Tyra couldn't hold a candle to.
Yeah, probably not. Unless you run in that truly blessed part of the populace that spends as much on plastic surgery as the rest of us do on mortgage payments.
__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 AM   #2418
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
Incredible, but Pam Anderson got a haircut and it completely makes her look better...

I could not disagree more. It makes her look old.
__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #2419
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,401
That picture of Pam with short hair is bad. Need to see her all done up sexy to tell if the hair really is that bad.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #2420
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
You are a typing definition of the flaws of this thread. You respond to a post saying just post better pictures with yet more negativity. You have time to research when I started posting but not to find a picture of a nice lady
I've probably posted more pics in this thread than you chief. <middle finger icon>
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #2421
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,172
Judging strictly on those two pictures, Pamela Anderson looks much better with the short hair. She actually looks like an adult. She looks like plastic blow up doll trying desperately to look young in the long hair picture.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #2422
Inundated
Face For Radio
 
Inundated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 21,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Yeah, probably not. Unless you run in that truly blessed part of the populace that spends as much on plastic surgery as the rest of us do on mortgage payments.
Take away all the plastic surgery, the deluxe makeup and treatments, and that 90% figure of yours goes down dramatically.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #2423
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Judging strictly on those two pictures, Pamela Anderson looks much better with the short hair. She actually looks like an adult. She looks like plastic blow up doll trying desperately to look young in the long hair picture.
More to the point, with the short hair she looks like a human being.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #2424
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Nope, but by and large, television personalities are better looking than 90% of the other females out there which is why you rarely find truly ugly women on TV unless they have great talent and have aged themselves into the homeliness.



Yeah, probably not. Unless you run in that truly blessed part of the populace that spends as much on plastic surgery as the rest of us do on mortgage payments.
You really don't get out much do you?

There are probably 20 million people in the tri-state area, there are definitely a lot more hot women here than on TV, trust me.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #2425
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Judging strictly on those two pictures, Pamela Anderson looks much better with the short hair. She actually looks like an adult. She looks like plastic blow up doll trying desperately to look young in the long hair picture.
I don't like short hair and I agree. I never actually thought she had a great looking face to begin with (smokin' body though). With the short hair she looks less freaky.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #2426
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Take away all the plastic surgery, the deluxe makeup and treatments, and that 90% figure of yours goes down dramatically.
Very true.

No denying that the majority of women on TV are more attractive than the average woman (and same goes for men). That said, that doesn't mean that they are THE most attractive, again, unless you're the type of person who doesn't get out much (not directed at you Inundated).
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #2427
MikeCC
TiVotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Nope, but by and large, television personalities are better looking than 90% of the other females out there which is why you rarely find truly ugly women on TV unless they have great talent and have aged themselves into the homeliness.

[...]
I suspect that is true, primarily because a key attribute in the television and movie industry is physical attractiveness. The industry tends to filter out less attractive people: agents look to represent prettier people, and will suggest ways to physically enhance or improve clients' appearance; casting directors populate movies and TV shows with stunning actors; even local TV news shows tend to have on air talent who are very nice to look at.

And why?

Because we, the viewers, want it. We want to look at gorgeous women, and handsome guys. Sure exceptions exist. of course. But the very fact we have a thread about hot women over 40 tends to validate my point: we respond visually.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #2428
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
I suspect that is true, primarily because a key attribute in the television and movie industry is physical attractiveness. The industry tends to filter out less attractive people: agents look to represent prettier people, and will suggest ways to physically enhance or improve clients' appearance; casting directors populate movies and TV shows with stunning actors; even local TV news shows tend to have on air talent who are very nice to look at.

And why?

Because we, the viewers, want it. We want to look at gorgeous women, and handsome guys. Sure exceptions exist. of course. But the very fact we have a thread about hot women over 40 tends to validate my point: we respond visually.
Of course. But that doesn't mean the MAJORITY of beautiful people are on TV (or in the media) does it? Lets say there are 10,000 actresses on TV (and that's probably high) of ALL ages. That's out of a population of 300 million people. That's a VERY small percentage of the population. If you say roughly half are women and half of those women are under 40 (I have no idea here, I'm just guessing), that's so that's 75 million women over 40. Would you think 1% if the women in that population would be considered TV beautiful? that's STILL 750,000 women (over 40). The TV actress portion of that is STILL a small percentage. That's why I don't get his statement that the only attractive women are media stars.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #2429
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
So it's only possible to be a hot woman if you are famous? I probably know a dozen women within my own circle of friends and acquaintances that Tyra couldn't hold a candle to. But I guess you are star struck.
I have always been amazed the beauties I see in day to day life. I would say that the most of the stars aren't as beautiful as many women I have seen in daily life.

While walking out of the thrift store a teenager that was one of the most beautiful persons that I have ever seen. She had a grungy t-shirt on and worn dirty jeans, but her cloths couldn't hide her beauty.

Last week I saw a woman with beautiful gray hair. She was probably over 60 but even though she had wrinkles and other signs of age, nothing could stop me from judging her as a incredible beauty, far more beautiful than any star of her age that I have seen on the screen.
This link isn't to a picture of either female, but is an example of the beauty all around us, in nature and hiking out in nature.
http://www.meetup.com/adventurers-99...542/#280431202
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #2430
MikeCC
TiVotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Of course. But that doesn't mean the MAJORITY of beautiful people are on TV (or in the media) does it? Lets say there are 10,000 actresses on TV (and that's probably high) of ALL ages. That's out of a population of 300 million people. That's a VERY small percentage of the population. If you say roughly half are women and half of those women are under 40 (I have no idea here, I'm just guessing), that's so that's 75 million women over 40. Would you think 1% if the women in that population would be considered TV beautiful? that's STILL 750,000 women (over 40). The TV actress portion of that is STILL a small percentage. That's why I don't get his statement that the only attractive women are media stars.
You are missing the point. No one is arguing that the population at large does not have a lot of attractive women. Not at all. After all, where do these beautiful actresses come from, anyway?

However, a point can be made that by and large, the entertainment industry (a subset of the overall population) has a much greater percentage of attractive people than the overall population. That simply means less attractive people either do not tend to go into the entertainment industry and/or less attractive people tend not to be as successful in the entertainment industry.

I'm not making a judgment in any way; I'm simply pointing out that on a percentage basis, entertainment industry to the population as a whole, the entertainment industry has a greater percentage of beautiful people.

Are there more beautiful people in existence on this planet than there are beautiful people in Hollywood? Quite likely. But that ain't the same thing at all.

Pick a random TV star, and pick a random clerk at the grocery store for example. It's a good bet the random TV star would be considered physically more attractive than the random clerk. Can you find a grocery store clerk that is more beautiful than the TV star? I'm sure you could. But in a completely random selection, the odds are not in your favor.

That's why we discuss attractive stars. That, and the fact that stars will have oodles of photos about 'em on line and in print. If we asked you to start posting pictures of very attractive grocery store clerks, you'd likely get yourself arrested.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |