TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Cainebj

Grace and Frankie (Netflix Season 1) Spoilers

Grace and Frankie.
It's kindof like watching a really good really long movie.

Jane Fonda is 77, Lily Tomlin is 75, Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson are both 74.
When did 70 become the new 50?
I should look so good at that age.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

I added this to my watch list today, but have not yet been able to watch one. Maybe later tonight? I am very hopeful about this. Looks like it could be interesting.

Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

They need Dolly Parton and it would be a 9 to 5 reunion.

I just read the show's description on Netflix. Seems like an interesting show. Added it to my list. I have a million other shows to watch. So, we'll see if I ever get around to this one.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
jilter
Happy to be here.

Jane Fonda looks fantastic.
Martin Sheen does too.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

I just finished the first episode and I loved it! I'm in.

Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
sharkster

I have this one on deck but I'm just up to season two of Breaking Bad so I will be a late starter. So many shows - so little time. *sigh*

sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
hummingbird_206

I'm on ep 4 and loving this show. The cast is great. Lots of funny one liners.

hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
justapixel
Domestic Extremist

I watched the whole series in three nights. Fantastic. Funny, funny lines for all the characters. And thank goodness a TV show that shows older women as being regular people with hopes and dreams and lives rather than just jokes, ala "Betty White said a bad word....*giggle giggle* isn't that shocking?"

There was a scene in a grocery store where Lily wanted to buy cigarettes and they were being ignored - then a pretty young woman comes up and the sales clerk jumps to helps her first, ignoring the two women entirely. All women of a certain age learn that they are invisible to society and that scene demonstrates it perfectly. She screams, "I refuse to be irrelevant" and I just cheered.

Both Tomlin and Fonda are wonderful. There was a scene (this is not a spoiler) where Fonda was doing a vlog and she started crying, and then she said, "Oh, I look pretty when I cry" and then did a cute little sob admiring herself....only a master actor could have pulled that off the way she did.

Sam Waterson and Martin Sheen are also wonderful although their chemistry didn't pop right away. It took me a while to believe Waterson in the role - not the gay part but the part where a high-powered attorney is so ditzy and emotional. We haven't seen his working side.

Also, I particularly like Jane's daughter, can't remember the actress right now. (Is her name Jane or June or something?) Anyway, she is really great. I don't know if I've seen her before but she's very funny on the show.

There are some very good lines. Hey, who hasn't wondered about Ben & Jerry?

It is amazing that Fonda is 77. She looks 15 years younger. Tomlin does too but Jane has totally kept her figure, her flexibility and strength. I guess I better buy a Jane Fonda workout tape - seems to have helped! She's been very open about her plastic surgery so we know what she's done and it's not as much as you would think. She said she didn't want to look young, she just wanted to look as vital as she feels. And, the doctor has done an amazing job. She is just beautiful but still has wrinkles, still looks like herself.

If you are on the fence about this show, watch it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I sure hope there is a season 2.

Look for my book coming in 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
justapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Reviews are pretty mixed so I had kind of discarded the idea of watching it, but this thread is pretty glowing. Might have to check it out. Thanks, folks. And/or, [angry diatribe].

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
zalusky

I watched it. I especially enjoyed the very first episode where Fonda sort of took off the movie magic makeup. Of course she still looks great. It moves fast and I fully expect a second season especially with how it ended.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
Cainebj

I enjoyed the whole thing in a binge viewing and was surprised to come to work a few days later and have a co-worker tell me he couldn't get through the first episode because the writing was so bad.

I suspect it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #12
Family

I watched half of the first episode. Everything seemed good except Jane Fonda is so annoying that I can't continue watching. I haven't really seen her in anything, but she killed this and not in a good way.

Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:18 AM   #13
thewebgal
MacAphile AV geek

We watched the first episode and part of the second and then bailed. I wanted to like it,
and I like the actors and actresses, but it seemed too trite and formulaic - honestly - the
writers were all coasting here ...