TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
pumpkinhead303

directshow dump HD problems

Alright, i have a tivo HD and i use the tivo desktop software to transfer shows to my PC. Then use DriectShow Dump to convert them to Mpeg format. Now All my SD programing is fine. But All my HD programing i'm having issues with. I'm using Sony Vegas 9.0a to edit all the commercials out. but when i click and drag an HD program into Vegas I get no Audio track! I'v even tried to convert the HD programing with Dr. DiVx and the first 30 seconds of the audio is fine then drops out... Is their a codec i'm missing or am i just dumb? I really like my HD quality and would love to keep it. but i'm having so many issues with the conversion and edit process it's getting a bit old. Any help on this would be awesome thank you!
pumpkinhead303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
greg_burns
Now in HD

Try this instead of DSD, it uses TivoDecode.
http://www.gmonweb.com/portal/Coding...4/Default.aspx

Make sure you have an AC3 audio codec installed, although not sure it is your problem.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ac3_filter.htm

Also, I would highly recommend checking out VideReDo for editing out commercials.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
pumpkinhead303

Hey thanks man... i'll give them a shot! I tried VideoReDo trial and couldn't really do to much with it, maybe i'll give it another try. Do you know anything about Sony Vegas? I would like when i'm rendering down to be able to compress or a manageable file size. do you know of any codec that will work in vegas like that or is it going to have to be another program after i edit and render? Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead303 View Post
Hey thanks man... i'll give them a shot! I tried VideoReDo trial and couldn't really do to much with it, maybe i'll give it another try. Do you know anything about Sony Vegas? I would like when i'm rendering down to be able to compress or a manageable file size. do you know of any codec that will work in vegas like that or is it going to have to be another program after i edit and render? Thanks again for the help!
Never used Sony Vegas. Curious what issue you have with Video Redo? It comes highly recommended. I use it (VideoReDo TVSuite) occasionally to make DVDs. I can remove the commercial (I just do it manually) in just a couple minutes. Also it will than output the edited mpeg2 file without needs to transcode except at the edit points. IOW, it spits out the file really quickly.

As far as converting to a smaller file size, you are going to want to save to some flavor of mp4. I've used DivX converter. Not sure what other are recommending.

If your mp4 is H.264+AC3, then you can apparently use pyTivo to send them back to your Tivo w/o having to transcode them. Check out the forum for more info. I haven't really kept up on this.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
pumpkinhead303

right on, thanks again. I reinstalled VideoReDo it work pretty well so far, it just out putted (if "putted" is even a word) my 1GB file as A 5.5GB so yeah compression after seems to be the key. I usually rewatch everything on my Playstation 3 so i'm looking at something in the AVI family that looks good most of the torrents i used to download were AVI files but the codec info is MPEG-4 not sure how that works. but thanks again!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
greg_burns
Now in HD

AVI is just a container. Most torrents that are AVI are either divx or more commonly xvid.

What kind of file did you have that VR made it grow 5x? If you start with MPEG2 (which tivo files are) and output as MPEG2 w/o commercials, your file size will go down.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
pumpkinhead303

yeah i thought that was a bit weird aswell... It was just a normal .tivo file (mpeg-2) i'v done more since then and it hasn't done it since. I'm useing Dr.Divx right now to compress after editing. It had the trial for Divx converter but it ran out a few days back, i may buy it if it's cheep enough and if i can choose my out put file size.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
pumpkinhead303

Hey man just wanted to let you know, i i'm digging VR now that i'v been using it for a few days, you were right it is awesome! thats again for all the help!