TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
briankasperek

Tivo HD without cable card

I have basic analog cable, no cable box or digital box.
When I got my HD Tv, it set up for about fifteen digital channels. The info on the Tivo HD says you need a cable card to record HD stations but one of the threads said you don't need it for OTA. Will the Tivo HD record digital stations that come in on the cable even without any cable box?
briankasperek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
RonDawg

You can record any unencrypted digital (clear QAM) channels, but you will not get any guide data for them. The Tivo Series 3/HD/XL models require CableCard(s) to get guide data for digital channels.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Rodwalls

Speaking of OTA, I can record in HD no cards needed. I only do OTA so I can't answer the cable question.
Rodwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankasperek View Post
When I got my HD Tv, it set up for about fifteen digital channels. The info on the Tivo HD says you need a cable card to record HD stations but one of the threads said you don't need it for OTA. Will the Tivo HD record digital stations that come in on the cable even without any cable box?
Your TiVo will NOT record any digital (Cable) channels that are encripted without a cable card or STB!

With "FiOS" and possibly cable companies without a cable card or STB running off the coax alone you can get SD and Local HD channels WGN and many music channels. if you have a cable company you may get other analog channels. FiOS is all digital!

Your TiVo WILL record any OTA channels.

Last edited by Joe01880 : 03-22-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Joe01880 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
darksurtur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
Your TiVo will NOT record any digital channels without a cable card.

Your TiVo WILL record any OTA channel.

After June 12 there will be NO analog channels cable OTA anyplace..PERIOD
This is just wrong. First, your Tivo CAN record digital channels without a cable card. But these will all be QAM "in the clear" channels, which usually includes the local OTA channels and some others, sometimes more. But you will have no guide data - just manual recording.

Second, after June it's true there will largely be no more OTA analog. But many cable companies will still be providing cable analog, though this is changing in some regions as the companies migrate to all digital lineups.
darksurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Pixel

Quote:
Not true. On Time Warner cable (and probably others) in SE Wisconsin there will continue to be SD analog channels following the shut down of analog broadcasting.

Last edited by Pixel : 03-18-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: bad formatting on my part
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Charter in NC/SC doesn't even broadcast 2-99 in digital and they have no plans to change on June 12th. They will continue with their analogs for quite some time.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
aindik

Quote:
By "basic" do you mean lifeline, or do you have a more general basic package? IOW, are you paying more like $20 or more like $50 a month. Do you get channels like ESPN, TNT, Comedy Central?

If so, you can probably get a CableCARD and it'll add about $2 to your monthly bill. Completely worth doing. At least with Comcast, there's a "Digital Starter" package that's the same price as analog Expanded Basic, only with a digital box (or a CableCARD if you ask).

With Comcast, that package includes more channels in HD that just your OTA channels. This is the list for Digital Starter in Philly.

ABC Family HD* Children & Family
Comcast SportsNet HD* High-Definition TV
ESPN HD* High-Definition TV
ESPN2 HD* High-Definition TV
TNT HD* High-Definition TV
HD Theater* High-Definition TV
VERSUS HD* Sports
Golf Channel HD* High-Definition TV
Universal HD* High-Definition TV
Palladia* High-Definition TV
A&E HD* High-Definition TV
HGTV HD* High-Definition TV
Food Network HD* High-Definition TV
History Channel HD* News & Info
TBS HD* High-Definition TV
CNN HD* News & Info
USA HD* Lifestyle
Discovery HD* High-Definition TV
TLC HD* News & Info
Sci-Fi HD*
Animal Planet HD* Children & Family
WPVI - ABC HD* High-Definition TV
WCAU - NBC HD* High-Definition TV
KYW - CBS HD* High-Definition TV
WTXF - FOX HD* High-Definition TV
WPHL - MY HD* High-Definition TV
WPSG - CW HD* High-Definition TV
AMC HD* Movies
Disney HD* Children & Family

You need equipment to receive them, either an HD cable box or a TiVoHD with a CableCARD.

If you're on the $20 lifeline package, you might still be able to get a CableCARD for just the $2 rental fee without upgrading your package, but you might have to fight about it. If you can, I would.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you can receive channels without either a cable box or cable cards, the Tivo will receive the same. Just the encrypted digital channels you will not receive without cable cards.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
If you can receive channels without either a cable box or cable cards, the Tivo will receive the same. Just the encrypted digital channels you will not receive without cable cards.
The TiVo will receive them. But if they're digital channels, it won't know what they are and won't be able to create season passes with them, record with auto-recording wish lists on them, or otherwise know what's on them at any given time.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
fgcchevy

Quote:
i have the limited basic cable package $11.95 per month, i can receive all local broadcast stations in hd. i cannot get the program guide data but i can record the hd channels by maunually recording them. manual recordings also give you the option to record once or every week on a specific day and time. i am happy with my set up because i will now save around $80 per month on my cable bill.
fgcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Not completely true. There are low power analog stations that can stay analog. I realize this doesn't affect the vast majority of people and qualifies as a nitpick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Not true. On Time Warner cable (and probably others) in SE Wisconsin there will continue to be SD analog channels following the shut down of analog broadcasting.
He was talking about OTA. Cable is irrelevant.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

He was talking about OTA. Cable is irrelevant.
Looks like he was talking about cable, OTA and anyplace. He's wrong about the first two, not sure about anyplace.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #14
tombro

Good thread, good replies. I am a noob here and just got my TiVo HD last Sunday. I scanned for channels, and noted that to get the guide functionality, etc, a cableCARD is needed.

We have central NJ Comcast, and have been getting starter digital without a box for the longest time. We only have one HD TV, which is where the TiVo is connected. As a previous poster said, you can record HD channels manually. I cheat with the guide part by viewing programming guides for the analog (if recording network TV) station, then setting my record Fx manually for the HD signal. Just like VHS tape-recording.

I am ordering my cards for the ease of use, however, from Comcast.
tombro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #15
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksurtur View Post
This is just wrong. First, your Tivo CAN record digital channels without a cable card. But these will all be QAM "in the clear" channels, which usually includes the local OTA channels and some others, sometimes more. But you will have no guide data - just manual recording.
I know what you mean, but be careful how you say it. Yeah, with the cable card, what you can record includes the OTA channel being passed along the cable wire. But that is not the same as using a OTA antenna to get your channels. If you use an OTA antenna, even without cable cards, you will get guide data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcchevy View Post
i have the limited basic cable package $11.95 per month, i can receive all local broadcast stations in hd. i cannot get the program guide data but i can record the hd channels by maunually recording them. manual recordings also give you the option to record once or every week on a specific day and time. i am happy with my set up because i will now save around $80 per month on my cable bill.
I have comcast lifeline too and I love it this way. You might want to spring for the card so you don't have to worry about tons of manual recordings. In my region, the first card is free. So thankfully, they had M series cards when they did my install.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #16
fgcchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
I know what you mean, but be careful how you say it. Yeah, with the cable card, what you can record includes the OTA channel being passed along the cable wire. But that is not the same as using a OTA antenna to get your channels. If you use an OTA antenna, even without cable cards, you will get guide data.

I have comcast lifeline too and I love it this way. You might want to spring for the card so you don't have to worry about tons of manual recordings. In my region, the first card is free. So thankfully, they had M series cards when they did my install.
yea i tried getting the cards, but they told me i would have to upgrade to the digital starter pack then pay an extra $6 or so for the cable cards. if idid that it would put me in the same range of price as where i was at. i think they are lying about needing to have the digital pack just to get my higher subscription back. i am tired of comcast lying about this that and the other, i will just stick with the manual recordings, whick isnt really that big of a deal anyway and pay a lot less $
Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
aindik

Quote:
yea i tried getting the cards, but they told me i would have to upgrade to the digital starter pack then pay an extra $6 or so for the cable cards. if idid that it would put me in the same range of price as where i was at. i think they are lying about needing to have the digital pack just to get my higher subscription back. i am tired of comcast lying about this that and the other, i will just stick with the manual recordings, whick isnt really that big of a deal anyway and pay a lot less $
Some people have tried upgrading to Digital Starter, getting the CableCARDs installed and working, and then downgrading back to Limited Basic a month later and seeing if they let you keep the CableCARDs.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
fgcchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Some people have tried upgrading to Digital Starter, getting the CableCARDs installed and working, and then downgrading back to Limited Basic a month later and seeing if they let you keep the CableCARDs.
i already did that, i had the cards installed and working, then i called to downgrade my service. when they came out to put the trap they said they had to take the cards. i argued with the tech about it, telling him that i was gonna get a monthly charge for the cards, why didnt he just leave them in. i did realize that with trap put on my line and the cards installed i still got all the hd channels in the higher price plan, thats probably why the take the cards.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I think denying cable cards unless you get a certain package is wrong and illegal.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
fgcchevy

Quote:
I think denying cable cards unless you get a certain package is wrong and illegal.
do u have a link to that law? if u do please post it for me so i can call my cable company about it
Old 03-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
bmgoodman

Quote:
i already did that, i had the cards installed and working, then i called to downgrade my service. when they came out to put the trap they said they had to take the cards. i argued with the tech about it, telling him that i was gonna get a monthly charge for the cards, why didnt he just leave them in. i did realize that with trap put on my line and the cards installed i still got all the hd channels in the higher price plan, thats probably why the take the cards.
I thought the PURPOSE of the CableCard was to tell the device which channels you are paying to receive. It sounds like your cable company has no clue how to configure the cards or your tech was just telling you something to end the disagreement. Of course, I'm no expert on this matter, but I think my layman's understanding is sound.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #22
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
I'll bite - right now, basic is not encrypted (on Comcast in MA), so if you pay for basic service and don't need cards to tune them in, what is the point in insisting on having them? I only have the main TiVo carded to get the expanded channels in high def.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #23
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
I'll bite - right now, basic is not encrypted (on Comcast in MA), so if you pay for basic service and don't need cards to tune them in, what is the point in insisting on having them? I only have the main TiVo carded to get the expanded channels in high def.
So that you can tune to the unencrypted basic channels on their appropriate channel numbers.

(And so the TiVo can set season passes, not that the FCC or Comcast care about that).
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Your TiVo will NOT record any digital (Cable) channels without a cable card or STB!

With FiOS and possibly cable companies without a cable card or STB running off the coax alone you can get SD and Local HD channels WGN and many music channels. if you have a cable company you may get other analog channels. FiOS is all digital!

Your TiVo WILL record any OTA channels.

As already said, TiVo Series 3s most certainly DO get unscrambled QAM cable channels without cable cards. No guide data, but they tune the channels and can record them. That's what the QAM tuner is FOR.

FiOS has switched to all digital, and you'll get NOTHING without one of their boxes or cable cards.

The June 12th date is NOT the cutoff date for cable, and many cable providers will continue to have analog channels which older TVs (especially cable-ready ones) will be able to get without a cable box. It's expected that eventually that will change, but the June 12th date has NOTHING to do with cable companies still having analog channels.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #25
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
So that you can tune to the unencrypted basic channels on their appropriate channel numbers.

(And so the TiVo can set season passes, not that the FCC or Comcast care about that).
My TiVos without cards do both just fine. They both get basic right up to ch 96.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #26
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
My TiVos without cards do both just fine. They both get basic right up to ch 96.
Analog. Not digital.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
wtkflhn

Quote:
Analog. Not digital.
They can get digital chanels that are NOT encrypted.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #28
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
They can get digital chanels that are NOT encrypted.

Don H.
Not on the right channel numbers and not with guide data.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 AM   #29
briankasperek

Series 3 with basic cable

I was away for awhile but have been interested in the posts.

I called Tivo and they said the HD box would receive channels up to 99 without a card. This would allow me to only record three of the 15 digital channels that I get on my HD tv because most of them are over ch 100.

What I worry about is that if I buy the series two which is all I actually need,
a changeover to all digital by Oceanic would leave the box useless.

I only pay $12 for the basic analog service but do get some channels that are not on the basic list. The standard cable is $52 but doesn't get me many other channels that I really am interested in. If I went with basic digital, I would probably lose TCM, Weather, ESPN news and some others not on the basic list for either analog or digital.

Any comments?
briankasperek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #30
RonDawg

Quote:
I called Tivo and they said the HD box would receive channels up to 99 without a card. This would allow me to only record three of the 15 digital channels that I get on my HD tv because most of them are over ch 100.
It will pick up any unencrypted digital channel, whether or not it is above channel 99.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote