TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #1051
mike_ca_74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ca_74 View Post
Here are answers to many of the troubleshooting questions:

1. It's a Cisco TA.

2. Changing the power outlet and removing the power strip did not fix the problem.

3. I've tried both USB ports, and both have the same problem.

4. The USB cable has been swapped. Twice.

5. As another poster that's having the same problem mentioned, it seems to start more often overnight. I'll get it working again after a series of TA / Tuning Adapter reboots, but then when I check on it the next morning it starts flashing.

6. Looking at the TA diagnostics screen gives a lot of good info. Based on its phase in the cycle, it'll go between the diagnostics being unavailable, "In Progress" and "Ready", but even when it's in the "Ready" state the TA's lights will flash and the Tivo won't be able to tune the TA channels.

7. The first few times the TA reboots, the Tivo will give me the "TA is connected" screen, but after a while it'll stop giving me that screen. It seems like the Tivo just gives up on the TA after a while, even though it's clearly connected.

8. I've called Tivo about this and they've offered to send me a replacement (Refurbished) Tivo HD, but I don't want to go through all that hassle and lose my season passes unless I'm pretty certain the problem is with the Tivo. As another poster has mentioned, it could very well be the USB root hub, but then we wouldn't have lots of others with the same problem.
I was doing some troubleshooting on this again last night and finally found something that stands out.

When the Tivo is connected to the tuning adapter and everything is working correctly, on the TUNING ADAPTER diag screen, the OpStatus is "Ready". When the tuning adapter is behaving badly, the OpStatus is "Initializing".

Does anyone know what an OpStatus of Initializing mean? Does it mean the TA is having trouble communicating with the headend or the Tivo, or does it mean something else? Does this help determine whether this is a problem between the TA and the Tivo or a problem between the TA and the cable company?
mike_ca_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #1052
Stone1555
./1337

That just shows the T/A is rebooting
Stone1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #1053
dlfl
Cranky old novice

mike_ca_74,

Next time your TA is functioning OK, look in TA Diagnostics...Status, for FDC and RDC in dBmV units and post the values. I'm wondering if your OOB (out-of-band) communication link may be marginal.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #1054
mike_ca_74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
mike_ca_74,

Next time your TA is functioning OK, look in TA Diagnostics...Status, for FDC and RDC in dBmV units and post the values. I'm wondering if your OOB (out-of-band) communication link may be marginal.
FDC: 6 dBmV
RDC: 35 dBmV

It's usually about the same give or take regardless of whether it's working correctly or not.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #1055
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
FDC: 6 dBmV
RDC: 35 dBmV

It's usually about the same give or take regardless of whether it's working correctly or not.
If anything, those numbers indicate a stronger-than-average link for forward and reverse communications between your TA and the cable plant. Should not be a problem.

and
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #1056
Teeps

Anyone in Torrance Ca encountering SDV channels?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1057
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1555 View Post
That just shows the T/A is rebooting
May be a defective TA. The first TA I got used to reboot twice a week or so. After a few weeks, I had it replaced, and the second one never reboots on its own.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #1058
Saxion
Substantive Member

Hi all,

I'm researching the previously-reported bug where a TiVo Series 3 will stop recording TiVo Suggestions when connected to a Cisco Tuning Adapter on a Time Warner cable system. I recently moved from a Cox area to Time Warner and now have this bug.

TiVo tech support is going to work with me tonight and run some diagnostics on my TA. Beforehand, I'd like to know if anyone has a Series 3 TiVo on Time Warner cable that correctly records Suggestions? Knowing if there are cases in the country where this combination works might help narrow down the problem. Thanks!!!

-Brian
Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #1059
zowwie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxion View Post
Hi all,
TiVo tech support is going to work with me tonight and run some diagnostics on my TA. Beforehand, I'd like to know if anyone has a Series 3 TiVo on Time Warner cable that correctly records Suggestions? Knowing if there are cases in the country where this combination works might help narrow down the problem. Thanks!!!
Good luck. When I went that route it was a total waste of time. Series 3 HD TiVo + Cisco TA = no suggestions. TiVo ultimately offered me a few free months of service to shut up and go away, or the option of just canceling. TiVo knows about this issue and isn't likely to fix it for Series 3 owners.

My TiVo comes up with perhaps one suggestion per month and always on an analog channel. This is on Cox in Phoenix. I'm not sure if their cablecard/TA setup forces the box to use digital simulcast of the analog channels.

I still use the TiVo because the user interface is better than the one Cox has on their boxes. It sure isn't because of TiVo's customer service.
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #1060
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm researching the previously-reported bug where a TiVo Series 3 will stop recording TiVo Suggestions when connected to a Cisco Tuning Adapter on a Time Warner cable system. I recently moved from a Cox area to Time Warner and now have this bug.

-Brian
Do you have the older S3 or the HD? (Both are "Series 3"). I don't know if the suggestions issue differs between the models but responders need to know if you want to be specific.

Try searching this thread on "suggestions" -- many pertinent posts and I think the answer depends on specific cable system, i.e., can differ from one TWC system to another.

and
Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #1061
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Hi all,

-Brian
Dont waste your time. An S3 or THD with a TA typically will not record suggestions. I have both and neither will populate Find Programs/ TiVo Suggestions or record suggestions. I also have a Premiere with TA that records suggestions just fine. We can only hope for a code update from TiVo to address this.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #1062
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Do you have the older S3 or the HD?
I have the older S3. But it would be useful to know if anyone has Suggestions working (with a Cisco TA) on either an S3 or HD. We know Premier works fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #1063
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Dont waste your time. An S3 or THD with a TA typically will not record suggestions. I have both and neither will populate Find Programs/ TiVo Suggestions or record suggestions. I also have a Premiere with TA that records suggestions just fine. We can only hope for a code update from TiVo to address this.
Thanks SCSIRAID. I suppose it is useful to let them go through their diagnostics on my TiVo, if for nothing other than to keep this issue alive in their system. The CSR I spoke to today did not know about this issue, and a search for Time Warner + Cisco TA + Suggestions in their "known issues" database did not yield a definitive answer. So, I'm not sure how aware they are of this. If people keep complaining, maybe they will fix it.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #1064
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Thanks SCSIRAID. I suppose it is useful to let them go through their diagnostics on my TiVo, if for nothing other than to keep this issue alive in their system. The CSR I spoke to today did not know about this issue, and a search for Time Warner + Cisco TA + Suggestions in their "known issues" database did not yield a definitive answer. So, I'm not sure how aware they are of this. If people keep complaining, maybe they will fix it.
Strangely TiVo and TWC customer service reps are usually not aware of whatever problem you have.

Here is a link to a TiVo support page . Note it says they have done extensive testing with TA's. Yet they are not aware of the suggestions issue and they don't mention the SDV tuning-failure problem, which I know has been called to their attention. (I'm pretty sure the suggestions issue has been called to their attention too.)

A year or more back, this page did acknowledge the tuniing-failure problem and described the tune up/down manual workaround. Then a few months ago the page stated there were no TA problems. Now they acknowledge some new problem but not the two problems that bother us most.

It's pretty obvious there is little hope they will fix these issues for the discontinued Series 3 models. The SDV tuning-failures also occur on the current Series 4 models so maybe they will fix it for them. But they still may not fix it on the Series 3 because the software base is different.

In TiVo's defense, this situation just reflects the consumer culture. A TiVo that was designed, supported and debugged the way we would like would cost much more and would sell very few units.

and
Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #1065
mike_ca_74

Quote:
I was doing some troubleshooting on this again last night and finally found something that stands out.

When the Tivo is connected to the tuning adapter and everything is working correctly, on the TUNING ADAPTER diag screen, the OpStatus is "Ready". When the tuning adapter is behaving badly, the OpStatus is "Initializing".

Does anyone know what an OpStatus of Initializing mean? Does it mean the TA is having trouble communicating with the headend or the Tivo, or does it mean something else? Does this help determine whether this is a problem between the TA and the Tivo or a problem between the TA and the cable company?
Just to tie up all the loose ends on this, for those that have been following this and to help anyone else who runs across this same issue, this problem was resolved last week.

The fix was for TWC to upgrade the firmware from 801 to 1202.

It only took them 3 weeks, several internal concalls, and multiple truck rolls to numerous customers to figure out that if you're having issues, they might get resolved by upgrading to the latest version.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #1066
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Strangely TiVo and TWC customer service reps are usually not aware of whatever problem you have.

Here is a link to a TiVo support page . Note it says they have done extensive testing with TA's. Yet they are not aware of the suggestions issue and they don't mention the SDV tuning-failure problem, which I know has been called to their attention. (I'm pretty sure the suggestions issue has been called to their attention too.)
Just to follow-up: I called TiVo tech support back, and we ran through some diagnostics on my Tivo. He then went off to talk to some other senior support people, came back and told me "we are aware of this issue, we are working on it, and that's all I can tell you." Others have gotten a similar response. Who knows if they really are working on it or not, but at least they acknowledge there is an issue.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #1067
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Just to tie up all the loose ends on this, for those that have been following this and to help anyone else who runs across this same issue, this problem was resolved last week.

The fix was for TWC to upgrade the firmware from 801 to 1202.

It only took them 3 weeks, several internal concalls, and multiple truck rolls to numerous customers to figure out that if you're having issues, they might get resolved by upgrading to the latest version.
Wow... 0801 is ANCIENT....
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #1068
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Funny, I'm in your area (Durham in my case) and on TWC. My Tivo HD + Cisco TA seems to record suggestions just fine - although I noticed that none of them are HD channels.

Running 11.0j OS and 1202 firmware on the TA.

-bill
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #1069
tracktime

TA Loses Communication with Tivo HD

I've suffered as most of you have with my Cisco TA for almost 2 years now. In the past the biggest issue seemed to be that the TA would lose communication with TW but over the past week Tivo and the TA frequently lose contact. Typcially they find each other again but sometimes only if I remove the USB cable. Any ideas?

The local (Cleveland area) TW service is questionable at best. No one seems to be trained on the TA at all. Is their a method to get to the TW national support group without going through 10 levels of local support first?

Alan
tracktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #1070
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The TWC NCCS (National Cable Card Support) desk is here:
AFAIK know they frown on customers calling them directly but frequently will go ahead and help you. They open at 10 am EST and have Saturday hours. There have been numerous experiences posted where NCCS solved problems quickly while local support was just going to "roll a truck".

When you talk to a local support person, they are supposed to know about NCCS and can bring them on line with you. But they usually don't even know NCCS exists and will even argue with you that it doesn't.

Cable cos have no incentive to train people on CC's or TA's, so don't hold your breath on that situation. Only about 0.5% of their digital subscribers use these things.

and
Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #1071
tracktime

Thanks I'll give them a try next week.
tracktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #1072
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracktime View Post
Thanks I'll give them a try next week.
did you even have them swap out the tuning adapter yet, since the continued loss of communication?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #1073
PaulGuyer

How does one even get one of these troublesome tuning adapters. I'd really like to be able to see all the channels I'm paying for. I filled out the web form over two weeks ago. No one has contacted me. I called customer service twice and they only thing they know is to tell me to fill out this form. There is no acknowledgement that the form was received, no way of knowing if the order is in process. I'm very frustrated and disappointed. Why is it I can call customer service and get the cablecard in a matter of days but this tuning adapter process is such a mystery to everyone. What's the key to getting to someone at TW that knows something about these?
PaulGuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #1074
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuyer View Post
....... What's the key to getting to someone at TW that knows something about these?
Try asking for "Tier 3" support -- that works in some TWC regions.

Otherwise see my post #1070 above. If you're getting stonewalled locally I wouldn't hesitate to call the NCCS directly.

The only possible excuse for them not giving you one immediately, via a truck roll if necessary, is if they just went to SDV and don't have them in stock yet (which isn't acceptable either, but it happens).

My personal experience is that the web sign up is a black hole, and I've seen many posts by others to the same effect.

and
Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #1075
Grumock

Quote:
Otherwise see my post #1070 above. If you're getting stonewalled locally I wouldn't hesitate to call the NCCS directly.
Not sure why you would tell anyone to call them for a Tuning adapter? From what I have been made to understand they do not have the ability to track those orders.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #1076
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Not sure why you would tell anyone to call them for a Tuning adapter? From what I have been made to understand they do not have the ability to track those orders.
NCCS usually talks to the cognisant local people when you raise an issue, and the hope would be they could at least get some meaningful response on the TA situation. It doesn't cost much to try.

NCCS does know something about Tuning Adapters. I've had conversations with them about firmware versions, etc.

and
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #1077
Grumock

Quote:
NCCS does know something about Tuning Adapters. I've had conversations with them about firmware versions, etc.
Yea they know about them but they dont track the orders that are placed for them. At least that is what i was told by them when i was trying to get one some time back.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #1078
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Yea they know about them but they dont track the orders that are placed for them. At least that is what i was told by them when i was trying to get one some time back.
Yeah, I heard you the first time.
I still think it's worth a try calling them as a last resort.

and
Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #1079
Grumock

Quote:
Yeah, I heard you the first time.
I still think it's worth a try calling them as a last resort.
LOL wasn't sure
Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #1080
PaulGuyer

Well I finally got an email acknowledgement saying they were going to FedEx the TA to me by next Tuesday. What I did was go back to the form and fill it out and submit it half a dozen times, thinking that might attract some attention somewhere. The ol' squeaky wheel.
PaulGuyer is offline   Reply With Quote