TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #1021
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJoe_2 View Post
On my truck roll (01/22/11) the tech spent about 8 hours trying to get the CC and the TA "married" and still no luck....what a joke! I also have the full digital tier. The tech only has the hardware, it's the one's that send the signal to the box that don't seem to know what's up. IMO
I guess they will be back on Wednesday to "try" again......
BTW: this is TWC in Milwaukee, WI.
This is frustrating and "Hopefully" worth it.
Did he happen to say that the cards are "Pair Failing"? If that is the case, it does not matter who is on the other end. That normally is a few things like, it was not inventoried correctly or possibly is not registered in the DNCS .
Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #1022
JavaJoe_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Did he happen to say that the cards are "Pair Failing"? If that is the case, it does not matter who is on the other end. That normally is a few things like, it was not inventoried correctly or possibly is not registered in the DNCS .
No, he never mentioned that. The Tivo Premier and XL recognized the cards and TA, they just couldn't seem to get it working.
Hopefully Wednesday.
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #1023
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJoe_2 View Post
No, he never mentioned that. The Tivo Premier and XL recognized the cards and TA, they just couldn't seem to get it working.
Hopefully Wednesday.
If you go into the CP info screen on the Cable card Menu do you have CP auth received or waiting for at the top of the screen?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #1024
JavaJoe_2

Quote:
If you go into the CP info screen on the Cable card Menu do you have CP auth received or waiting for at the top of the screen?
The tech took everything with him when he couldn't get it working.
He will be back on Wed.
But, Thanks for your help.
When he installs...I will look for that.
All he looks at is the host screen and he told me he knows nothing else about the other screens.
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #1025
TinKC

Okay, I'm back...unfortunately. I really didn't have time this week to mess with the TiVo & TA so I was fiddling around with it this morning. I have tried every combination of unplugging, waiting, replugging, etc without any luck of receiving those same few channels. My very last attempt was restarting TiVo (which I knew was logically unneccessary but this TA situation seems to defy logic) without the TA and pretty much plugging everything back in as though it was the first time connecting the TA. After this process, the TA was not tuning to ANY channels. The TiVo recognizes the TA has been disconnected & reconnected and the light on the TA isn't flashing, it's solid green. However, it will not tune. For now, I have disconnected the TA altogether so I can at least have my non-SDV and non-HD channel shows recorded. Both of my other TiVo Premieres & TAs are working properly without any problems and tuning to all of the channels they should be. I don't know what I should do from here? Do I need to call Time Warner tech support? Should I first go get a replacement TA?

(This was my initial post last week, in case you don't remember)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKC View Post
I have 3 Premieres with 3 TAs. 2 of them I have never had any problems with since initial installation, about 7 weeks ago. The problem child of the group has had the TA replaced once. Tonight, after a long day at work, I sink into the covers and plan on watching my favorite show, the season premiere of Big Love, only to find out my TA was down and didn't record! How sad I am! (and frustrated). I'm noticing that the only channels it seems to not be tuning into are any of my HBO channels, BBCAmerica HD, Biography HD, the Style HD channel, and about 3 others. I can get all of my network HD channels. I can get basic cable HD channels like E, HGTV, ComedyCentral. I've unplugged the USB, which gives me the TA disconnected notice on the screen and TiVo recognizes the TA has been connected when I plug the USB back in but the HBO channels & StyleHD are still not tuning. Any ideas what the problem could be or a possible solution?

*pardon any typos - typing on my iPad

TinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #1026
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKC View Post
Okay, I'm back...unfortunately. I really didn't have time this week to mess with the TiVo & TA so I was fiddling around with it this morning. I have tried every combination of unplugging, waiting, replugging, etc without any luck of receiving those same few channels. My very last attempt was restarting TiVo (which I knew was logically unneccessary but this TA situation seems to defy logic) without the TA and pretty much plugging everything back in as though it was the first time connecting the TA. After this process, the TA was not tuning to ANY channels. The TiVo recognizes the TA has been disconnected & reconnected and the light on the TA isn't flashing, it's solid green. However, it will not tune. For now, I have disconnected the TA altogether so I can at least have my non-SDV and non-HD channel shows recorded. Both of my other TiVo Premieres & TAs are working properly without any problems and tuning to all of the channels they should be. I don't know what I should do from here? Do I need to call Time Warner tech support? Should I first go get a replacement TA?

(This was my initial post last week, in case you don't remember)
It appears to me that the RF output on that Tuning adapter has taken a dive on you & yes I would recommend getting a new one. The RF is a pass through so if you are getting a channel without it & you connect the RF through the TA & power it up without the USB connected the same channel should continue to come through.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #1027
Static

ok, first of... let me say that the "out" rf on the TA is NOT needed.. in fact its better NOT to use it.

Get a good quality splitter (not the cheap 600Mhz kind... a GOOD one)
Split the cable pre-TA/tivo. One cable goes to the tivo, the other, to the TA. Then just join the Tivo to the TA with USB. The usb is all that is needed because Tivo just needs to know where to tune to get that channel.

I have had the best luck with that setup.. and if you find the right TWC tech.. he will confirm this (Tier III support told me about it)

Now.. back to my issues... once again.. my TA has crapped out. It lasted 4 whole months.. not now I need to unplug /plug in the USB daily for the tivo to see it again. I cant stand this anymore.
Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #1028
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
ok, first of... let me say that the "out" rf on the TA is NOT needed.. in fact its better NOT to use it.
I use the extra output to drive the rarely-used tuner card in my HTPC.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #1029
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Get a good quality splitter (not the cheap 600Mhz kind... a GOOD one)
Split the cable pre-TA/tivo. One cable goes to the tivo, the other, to the TA. Then just join the Tivo to the TA with USB. The usb is all that is needed because Tivo just needs to know where to tune to get that channel.

I have had the best luck with that setup.. and if you find the right TWC tech.. he will confirm this (Tier III support told me about it)
AFAIK, the only signal difference (at the TiVo input) between the two configurations is the level. As I understand it, the Cisco TA amplifies the passed-thru signal by about 1 dB, while with a splitter you will loose about 4 dB. (A perfect lossless 2-way splitter will still loose 3dB because the power is being divided into two channels and 3 dB is simply 2X in power.)

Which way is better then just amounts to whether a 1 dB boost or 4 dB reduction is better, which depends on what the signal level was to begin with, i.e., whether it's too high or too low. In most cases it won't make any difference.
Quote:
Now.. back to my issues... once again.. my TA has crapped out. It lasted 4 whole months.. not now I need to unplug /plug in the USB daily for the tivo to see it again. I cant stand this anymore.
Probably a long shot but the next time you get things working, look in TA Diagnostics..Status, for FDC and RDC in dBmV units. I'm wondering if your OOB (out-of-band) communication link may be marginal and the TA drops off line because of this. (?)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #1030
cableguy763

The rf output of the cisco ta is +3 dbmv.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #1031
mike_ca_74

Time Warner Tuning Adapter Rebooting

Over the last 3 weeks or so I've had an issue with my tuning adapter apparently rebooting every few minutes. The light blinks, then goes solid for a bit, then starts blinking again. On top of all this, I get the constant "A tuning adapter has been connected to your Tivo" message, which interrupts what I'm watching and stops any recordings.

Time Warner techs have been out here 5 times, and swapped 5 tuning adapters, but I'm still having trouble. The 4th tech that was out here seemed pretty knowledgeable. He said that a lot of Tivo customers in the area are having the same problem, and that the tuning adapters are dropping off the DNCS. He told me they had a concall about this last week, and that they thought they had the problem solved, but once again I have the same issue, even after once again swapping the tuning adapter.

Most people at Time Warner seem completely clueless as to what's going on. Every time I call in all they do send a tech over that once again just swaps a tuning adapter, but no results. Whenever they put a new tuning adapter in, it'll work for a day or so, and then back to rebooting.

Calling NCCS doesn't help. They're very understanding and seem to be technically knowledgeable, but aren't familiar with this issue.

Is anyone else on Time Warner having the same problem? Any solutions?
mike_ca_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #1032
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_ca_74 View Post
Over the last 3 weeks or so I've had an issue with my tuning adapter apparently rebooting every few minutes. The light blinks, then goes solid for a bit, then starts blinking again. On top of all this, I get the constant "A tuning adapter has been connected to your Tivo" message, which interrupts what I'm watching and stops any recordings.

Time Warner techs have been out here 5 times, and swapped 5 tuning adapters, but I'm still having trouble. The 4th tech that was out here seemed pretty knowledgeable. He said that a lot of Tivo customers in the area are having the same problem, and that the tuning adapters are dropping off the DNCS. He told me they had a concall about this last week, and that they thought they had the problem solved, but once again I have the same issue, even after once again swapping the tuning adapter.

Most people at Time Warner seem completely clueless as to what's going on. Every time I call in all they do send a tech over that once again just swaps a tuning adapter, but no results. Whenever they put a new tuning adapter in, it'll work for a day or so, and then back to rebooting.

Calling NCCS doesn't help. They're very understanding and seem to be technically knowledgeable, but aren't familiar with this issue.

just curious since i have not heard this one. If you leave the Tuning adapter unplugged as far as USB does it still do the same reboot thing?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #1033
mike_ca_74

Quote:
just curious since i have not heard this one. If you leave the Tuning adapter unplugged as far as USB does it still do the same reboot thing?
Yes - you can still see the lights doing the different flashing patterns, although it never goes solid for long.

Some other facts: Each time they give me a new tuning adapter it'll work for about 24 hours, and then start the loop gain. Also, if I leave the tuning adapter disconnected overnight, then power cycle it, and then reconnect it to the Tivo, it might work OK for a few hours before starting the cycle again.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #1034
Grumock

Quote:
Yes - you can still see the lights doing the different flashing patterns, although it never goes solid for long.

Some other facts: Each time they give me a new tuning adapter it'll work for about 24 hours, and then start the loop gain. Also, if I leave the tuning adapter disconnected overnight, then power cycle it, and then reconnect it to the Tivo, it might work OK for a few hours before starting the cycle again.
stupid question here: Have you tried a different power outlet, and or power strip? I take it the techs have swapped the power supply as well? Sorry one more thing, is it a Motorola or Cisco Tuning adapter?

Sorry just had to ask
Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #1035
mike_ca_74

Quote:
stupid question here: Have you tried a different power outlet, and or power strip? I take it the techs have swapped the power supply as well? Sorry one more thing, is it a Motorola or Cisco Tuning adapter?

Sorry just had to ask
Yes, they did swap the power supply after the 2nd tuning adapter swap, per the recommendation of NCCS. I haven't tried a different power strip though. I can give that a shot and see what happens. It'll be funny if that's what the problem is.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #1036
Grumock

Quote:
Yes, they did swap the power supply after the 2nd tuning adapter swap, per the recommendation of NCCS. I haven't tried a different power strip though. I can give that a shot and see what happens. It'll be funny if that's what the problem is.
Well just seems real strange to have so many doing the same thing. Is this a Motorola or Cisco tuning adapter?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #1037
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
The rf output of the cisco ta is +3 dbmv.
I think you mean +3 dB. The output level (in dBmV) will vary widely depending upon the channel and the network topology.

The term "dB" is a measure of the ratio of two power levels, in this case the input of the TA WRT the output of a TA. The term "dBmV" refers to a signal level relative to a reference of 1 millivolt across 75 ohms.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #1038
lrhorer

Quote:
ok, first of... let me say that the "out" rf on the TA is NOT needed
Some sort of split is required. It doesn't absolutely have to be the output of the TA, but it certainly simplifies the plumbing.

Quote:
.. in fact its better NOT to use it.
This is just false. In general it is going to be better to use the TA's internal directional coupler. There are cases where other solutions are preferable, but not for most installations.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #1039
lrhorer

Quote:
Trying to troubleshoot any issue second hand is fraught with pitfalls. That said, the symptoms you describe sound very much like a USB problem. Have you tried replacing the USB cable? Have you tried a different port on the TiVo? While not terribly likely, it could be a bad USB cable, and replacing it is extremely cheap and easy. Also make sure the USB cable is not near any sources of high level emf, especially an RF source or a feed for an electrostatic speaker. Replacing or re-routing the USB cable and / or reorienting the TA and the TiVo might fix the problem with a little luck. Unfortunately, however, without being there, and given the history you provided, my prime suspect would be the USB port on the TiVo. Again, moving to the other port might help, but a flaky root hub is a really good candidate for issues such as yours. It's also not impossible it could be corrupt software on the TiVo, but this really sounds like a hardware problem.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #1040
lrhorer

Quote:
Well just seems real strange to have so many doing the same thing. Is this a Motorola or Cisco tuning adapter?
It's not strange. It just strongly suggests it is not a problem with the TAs.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #1041
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's not strange. It just strongly suggests it is not a problem with the TAs.
I would agree with you 100% but was trying to be nice about it.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #1042
Grumock

Quote:
While not terribly likely, it could be a bad USB cable, and replacing it is extremely cheap and easy.
Well if it does the same thing without the USB connected it is not a USB issue. It is more likely that it is a Power issue IMHO.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #1043
lrhorer

Quote:
Well if it does the same thing without the USB connected it is not a USB issue. It is more likely that it is a Power issue IMHO.
Did he say that? If so, I didn't catch it. Certainly he isn't going to get the whirling disc and the notice that a TA has been attached unless a TA is indeed, attached.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #1044
Grumock

Quote:
Did he say that? If so, I didn't catch it. Certainly he isn't going to get the whirling disc and the notice that a TA has been attached unless a TA is indeed, attached.
Yes in fact I asked earlier

Quote:

Quote:

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1045
jtotry

We live in southern california and have time warner cable as well. We've got two tivos with cable cards and turner adapters and are experiencing the SAME EXACT situation. Of course, we've called time warner, they send someone out, it works for an hour or so and again, the rebooting happens every few minutes. I've noticed that it happens alot more at night than during the day. Not sure what's up...but we are beyond frustrated...Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:

jtotry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #1046
lrhorer

Quote:
Yes in fact I asked earlier
Yeah, I missed that. In that case, you are correct. If the TA is misbehaving without the TiVo attached, then it's a very different kettle of fish. OTOH, I'm not quite sure what the TA's behavior is supposed to be when disconnected from the TiVo.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #1047
dlfl
Cranky old novice

mike_ca_74,

Sorry if I missed this in all the posts, but is your TA powered via a UPS? Both it and your TiVo really should be. Even the smallest UPS will back up a TA and TiVo. As an experiment, try unplugging and replugging your TA power as fast as you physically can do it. I bet it reboots. Yes, you would expect some other devices to show signs of power dropouts but maybe the TA is more sensitive to this than all the other devices. I have one digital clock that is sometimes the only device in the house to reset as a result of a power glitch. Of course my TiVo and TA are on UPS so they don't reboot.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #1048
Beernutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtotry View Post
We live in southern california and have time warner cable as well. We've got two tivos with cable cards and turner adapters and are experiencing the SAME EXACT situation. Of course, we've called time warner, they send someone out, it works for an hour or so and again, the rebooting happens every few minutes. I've noticed that it happens alot more at night than during the day. Not sure what's up...but we are beyond frustrated...Any help would be appreciated.
Motorola or Cisco Tuning Adapter?
Beernutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #1049
jtotry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernutts View Post
Motorola or Cisco Tuning Adapter?
Cisco
jtotry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #1050
mike_ca_74

Quote:
Trying to troubleshoot any issue second hand is fraught with pitfalls. That said, the symptoms you describe sound very much like a USB problem. Have you tried replacing the USB cable? Have you tried a different port on the TiVo? While not terribly likely, it could be a bad USB cable, and replacing it is extremely cheap and easy. Also make sure the USB cable is not near any sources of high level emf, especially an RF source or a feed for an electrostatic speaker. Replacing or re-routing the USB cable and / or reorienting the TA and the TiVo might fix the problem with a little luck. Unfortunately, however, without being there, and given the history you provided, my prime suspect would be the USB port on the TiVo. Again, moving to the other port might help, but a flaky root hub is a really good candidate for issues such as yours. It's also not impossible it could be corrupt software on the TiVo, but this really sounds like a hardware problem.
Here are answers to many of the troubleshooting questions:

1. It's a Cisco TA.

2. Changing the power outlet and removing the power strip did not fix the problem.

3. I've tried both USB ports, and both have the same problem.

4. The USB cable has been swapped. Twice.

5. As another poster that's having the same problem mentioned, it seems to start more often overnight. I'll get it working again after a series of TA / Tuning Adapter reboots, but then when I check on it the next morning it starts flashing.

6. Looking at the TA diagnostics screen gives a lot of good info. Based on its phase in the cycle, it'll go between the diagnostics being unavailable, "In Progress" and "Ready", but even when it's in the "Ready" state the TA's lights will flash and the Tivo won't be able to tune the TA channels.

7. The first few times the TA reboots, the Tivo will give me the "TA is connected" screen, but after a while it'll stop giving me that screen. It seems like the Tivo just gives up on the TA after a while, even though it's clearly connected.

8. I've called Tivo about this and they've offered to send me a replacement (Refurbished) Tivo HD, but I don't want to go through all that hassle and lose my season passes unless I'm pretty certain the problem is with the Tivo. As another poster has mentioned, it could very well be the USB root hub, but then we wouldn't have lots of others with the same problem.